Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Conversion Corner (Big and Small) Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Razsminion

Romantic Mage

PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:54 am
Hey guys I got a quick question for you:

I've started a Vampire counts army and I'm currently in the process of converting a Hero to carry the Army's Banner, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to actually make the banner. Would it be better in the long run to make it out of green stuff, or would it last longer and be less awkward if I was to just make it out of paper? Is there perhaps something else that you would suggest instead of either of those options?
I usually don't bother taking Army banners in with my army... I never really thought there was much purpose to them so I have never converted on up before. sweatdrop
Any and all wisdom is welcomed and very much appreciated.  
PostPosted: Sun Nov 06, 2011 5:06 pm
Well, the Tau need a Close-quarters Combat unit, so I threw some extra pieces together to make a Plasma Shotgun of sorts and tossed it onto a modified Stealth Suit. What do you think?

User Image  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:02 pm
Razsminion
Hey guys I got a quick question for you:

I've started a Vampire counts army and I'm currently in the process of converting a Hero to carry the Army's Banner, but I'm not sure what would be the best way to actually make the banner. Would it be better in the long run to make it out of green stuff, or would it last longer and be less awkward if I was to just make it out of paper? Is there perhaps something else that you would suggest instead of either of those options?
I usually don't bother taking Army banners in with my army... I never really thought there was much purpose to them so I have never converted on up before. sweatdrop
Any and all wisdom is welcomed and very much appreciated.
What sort of banner are you trying to make? I've never actually seen anyone make one out of paper, I don't think it'd hold up very well to use.

Depending on what shape you want your banner, I'd look at what some of the other armies have for banners and convert one of them onto your model.

@Asmusei:

It looks pretty decent, though it still looks ranged in nature. Do they have any more active posed legs or arms, maybe have the other arm up as though blocking, or holding a combat knife?  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 16, 2011 6:22 pm
DarkElf27
@Asmusei:

It looks pretty decent, though it still looks ranged in nature. Do they have any more active posed legs or arms, maybe have the other arm up as though blocking, or holding a combat knife?
That's because of my earlier reason, that hand-to-hand weapons aren't useful in modern day wars and 40K has to have most of the rules tilted toward it for it to hold much meaning and use. Hand-to-hand is still against their philosophy, so to make up the difference I made a six barrel plasma-shotgun design for him.There aren't any real poses for the Stealth units, the only legs that are different simply have a bonding knife on them, all torsos are the same and the arms are as well.
These are my final pictures of him. I'll finish the touching up later, but I'm satisfied for how he looks while on the table.
User Image
User Image  

Asmusei -Faceless Hunter-

DarkReaper40k

Dangerous Shapeshifter

7,700 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 7:13 am
Haven't got any thing new in the 40k world done yet but in a similar scale, I decided to take miniatures from the Megabloks Halo and Marvel toy lines and create Samus Aran from the Metroid video games.

User Image

Pretty simple really, it required pieces from an Iron-man mini, a CQB Spartan and the barrel of a Halo flame thrower. I then pulled apart all the pieces at the limbs and sanded down the joints enough that when I applied paint, they new colours would rub away from friction of moving the joints when rebuilt. Finally I used foundation paint and washes to give a solid base to the colour scheme and proceeded with regular Citadel paints to complete the look.

What do you think?  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 2:23 pm
DarkReaper40k
Haven't got any thing new in the 40k world done yet but in a similar scale, I decided to take miniatures from the Megabloks Halo and Marvel toy lines and create Samus Aran from the Metroid video games.

User Image

Pretty simple really, it required pieces from an Iron-man mini, a CQB Spartan and the barrel of a Halo flame thrower. I then pulled apart all the pieces at the limbs and sanded down the joints enough that when I applied paint, they new colours would rub away from friction of moving the joints when rebuilt. Finally I used foundation paint and washes to give a solid base to the colour scheme and proceeded with regular Citadel paints to complete the look.

What do you think?
It looks pretty good, I like the fine lines and shading. About how big is the mini? Any WIP photos?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:55 pm
Currently trying to sculpt a guardswoman from scratch using green stuff, some Catachan bitz (Knives and pouches and such) and a metal kelly from Reaper Minatures.

Stuff is crazy hard to work with D=  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:15 pm
Silvia Crow
Currently trying to sculpt a guardswoman from scratch using green stuff, some Catachan bitz (Knives and pouches and such) and a metal kelly from Reaper Minatures.

Use Silicon sculpting tools, greenstuff sticks to everything else.  

Asmusei

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 7:27 pm
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

I'm actually using that metal scalpel looking tool and a toothpick. The main issue is getting everything to be the right shape and smooth.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:55 pm
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

I'm actually using that metal scalpel looking tool and a toothpick. The main issue is getting everything to be the right shape and smooth.
I see. Well, my fiance and I have a metal sculpting tool and it sticks to the tool all the damn time.  

Asmusei

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:06 pm
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

I see. Well, my fiance and I have a metal sculpting tool and it sticks to the tool all the damn time.

Water tends to alleviate the stickyness I find.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:23 pm
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

Nice, I never thought of that!
Any other quick tips? I suck at greenstuff myself...  

Asmusei

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:37 pm
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

None that I can think of offhand. I mostly use the stuff to make small additions. Only sculpted one character prior to this guardswoman and said character was in full plate, which made things so much easier.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:40 pm
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

None that I can think of offhand. I mostly use the stuff to make small additions. Only sculpted one character prior to this guardswoman and said character was in full plate, which made things so much easier.
That's true. I haven't done much of anything impressive either, mainly remade a thumb for my Space Marine Sargent.  

Asmusei

Silvia Crow

Omnipresent Loiterer

16,275 Points
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:54 pm
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow
Asmusei
Silvia Crow

That's true. I haven't done much of anything impressive either, mainly remade a thumb for my Space Marine Sargent.

Got me a box of Cadians today and I'm currently converting them with some Catachan bitz and some heads from Reaper Miniatures and a bit of greenstuff. Gonna be a vet squad and, Emperor willing, part of a Kill Team if GW makes proper rules.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games