Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ashley the Bee

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:54 pm
whiporwill-o
Ashley the Bee
GCF...
LCM...

yes, that helps me a lot! now if only i can't remember it. sweatdrop

edit: i hope you don't mind, i would like to copy and paste this to print off for my notes.

Please do so. I'm glad that it was helpful.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:56 pm
Ashley the Bee
whiporwill-o
Ashley the Bee
GCF...
LCM...

yes, that helps me a lot! now if only i can't remember it. sweatdrop

edit: i hope you don't mind, i would like to copy and paste this to print off for my notes.

Please do so. I'm glad that it was helpful.

thank you biggrin

i really appreciate how much the people in this guild help me out! whee heart  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 9:59 pm
whiporwill-o
Hesh. If word gets out that we're not unreasonable elitist assholes, what are people going to have left to complain about?  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:06 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
Hesh. If word gets out that we're not unreasonable elitist assholes, what are people going to have left to complain about?

i'll try to keep it under wraps, lol. can't ruin your reputations. ninja
but i'll love you guys anyway!  

whiporwill-o

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:09 pm
whiporwill-o
~pokes you with a stick~ Ha! Now no one will confuse us for "The Nice One".  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 10:11 pm
TeaDidikai
whiporwill-o
~pokes you with a stick~ Ha! Now no one will confuse us for "The Nice One".

i have been poke-ed *sniffles* emo  

whiporwill-o

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:16 pm
TeaDidikai

I find myself in an interesting position when it comes to translating concepts into English.

For example, there is a host of behavior that is translated as "crazy" in English from the dialects of Rroma my family uses that range from mild behavior problems to dangerous actions to classic Simpson D'oh! moments. Which leaves me wondering in situations where the kind of -ism isn't culturally present in one, but the translation would evoke such, what is left when it comes to accurately communicating ideas.

That's generally the problem when translating from a culture with different -isms in it to one with another set. You're stuck using a language that in and of itself is filled with concepts rooted in ableism. English, unfortunately, associates conceptually behavior problems, dangerous actions and classic "D'oh" moments with mental illness and not being neurotypical. Oftentimes directly.

I don't have a great solution. I guess you could search for other English words that are closer to the concepts from your culture without the ableist roots from their own concepts. Or even describe things conceptually (which has the downer of making one more verbose).  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 12:17 pm
Bastemhet

Recursive Paradox

Of course the water gets so muddied by people conflating "personally offensive and stigmatizing" and "propping up and enabling systemic oppression by continuing the use of concepts that are built on oppressive and -ism sourced reasoning as their roots".

Very well articulated. I think this is a good way to approach things since the "it hurts people" p.o.v. fails to even rouse the sympathies of others, unfortunately. But I think both are equally important.

Well, there's another problem with, "it hurts people" and that is: lots of things hurt people. Necessary things. Like jailing rapists. Or telling a fluffy bunny that she's wrong and full of s**t. Something being offensive to someone is reason used by many homophobes for considering homosexuality something that needs to be suppressed.

Offense is a poor reason to not do something unless you care about the person you're talking with. Actual social damage or boosting socially damaging systems is the good reason.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:49 pm
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai

I find myself in an interesting position when it comes to translating concepts into English.

For example, there is a host of behavior that is translated as "crazy" in English from the dialects of Rroma my family uses that range from mild behavior problems to dangerous actions to classic Simpson D'oh! moments. Which leaves me wondering in situations where the kind of -ism isn't culturally present in one, but the translation would evoke such, what is left when it comes to accurately communicating ideas.

That's generally the problem when translating from a culture with different -isms in it to one with another set. You're stuck using a language that in and of itself is filled with concepts rooted in ableism. English, unfortunately, associates conceptually behavior problems, dangerous actions and classic "D'oh" moments with mental illness and not being neurotypical. Oftentimes directly.

I don't have a great solution. I guess you could search for other English words that are closer to the concepts from your culture without the ableist roots from their own concepts. Or even describe things conceptually (which has the downer of making one more verbose).
At which point isn't the forced assimilation of foreign concepts into contexts they don't belong relying on ethnic privilege to enforce it's stereotypes onto the ethnic minority?  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 2:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai

At which point isn't the forced assimilation of foreign concepts into contexts they don't belong relying on ethnic privilege to enforce it's stereotypes onto the ethnic minority?

I would argue that if I were to translate words from one language into phrases from another that have those -ism concepts that are out of context, I am the reason for those concepts being forced together even though it makes no conceptual sense. Not the language or culture I am translating to. However, I do agree that anyone who assumes that, due to that translation, the words from your culture are ableist is ethnocentric and unthinking.

So say I translated a phrase into another culture that had a certain -ism and my translated phrase used an -ism word from that culture. These concepts being pushed together inappropriately is my fault for translating poorly to begin with but anyone who assumes that my culture has these same -ism aspects as a result is still ethnocentric.

Let's use a hypothetical.

Let's say I was from a culture that didn't have ableism towards people with learning disabilities. We had a word in our culture for people who are slowed down by a shocking or confusing statement. The word's meaning is literally "slowed down in thought". Basically describing someone who hears something massive or major and actually needs to take longer to think than normal for themselves in order to comprehend this unusual thing (because of how unusual it is. Sort of like "my mind is blown").

I translate this word into the word "retarded". It's the closest thing I'm able to find to the concept of being slowed down in thought among English words.

The ableist concepts tied to the word "retarded" do not belong with my hypothetical word from my hypothetical culture. To state that the word from my culture is ableist would surely be ethnocentric (and you'll notice that I do not regard your words from your culture that translate to crazy as ableist). They do not connect to them.

However, I choose that word as the translation target. I am the one who has combined them, not the culture I'm visiting. After all, I am attempting to use their language to communicate my concepts in my culture. It's my responsibility to do that correctly and not use words that do not connect properly. So, by translating my word to the word "retarded" I am the one pushing the concepts out of context and creating the association. I should translate better to avoid it while members of that culture should remember the flaws of translation and not assume my culture is as theirs.

Makes sense?

Basically, I shouldn't translate to a word that doesn't connect conceptually and involves -isms and people shouldn't assume my culture has the -isms theirs does.  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 3:02 pm
You're position makes sense, but it also uncovered the reason why language at it's inception would need to be of an -ism in order for there to be no room for it's application to exist outside of perpetuating that ism.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 8:23 pm
Recursive Paradox
Bastemhet

Recursive Paradox

Of course the water gets so muddied by people conflating "personally offensive and stigmatizing" and "propping up and enabling systemic oppression by continuing the use of concepts that are built on oppressive and -ism sourced reasoning as their roots".

Very well articulated. I think this is a good way to approach things since the "it hurts people" p.o.v. fails to even rouse the sympathies of others, unfortunately. But I think both are equally important.

Well, there's another problem with, "it hurts people" and that is: lots of things hurt people. Necessary things. Like jailing rapists. Or telling a fluffy bunny that she's wrong and full of s**t. Something being offensive to someone is reason used by many homophobes for considering homosexuality something that needs to be suppressed.

Offense is a poor reason to not do something unless you care about the person you're talking with. Actual social damage or boosting socially damaging systems is the good reason.

Right. I think I was just stopping at the hurt part without fully developing why that hurt mattered in the first place. I kinda knew what I meant but it took a second to figure it out.  

Bastemhet

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:40 pm
So, let's say I wanted to invite some people to the guild, because I think it would do them some good.

How would you approach the subject without making the person think that you're saying "you're an idiot, but this will fix that"?  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:43 pm
AniMajor
How would you approach the subject without making the person think that you're saying "you're an idiot, but this will fix that"?

"Hey, this is a nice guild. We learn a lot from each other and I think this place might be beneficial to you as well."

?  

Collowrath

AniMajor

8,000 Points
  • The Perfect Setup 150
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Mark Twain 100
PostPosted: Wed Feb 03, 2010 7:49 pm
Collowrath
AniMajor

"Hey, this is a nice guild. We learn a lot from each other and I think this place might be beneficial to you as well."

?

I'm worried about them seeing the name and thinking that I think that they're fluffy, and turning them off from joining.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 63 64 65 66 67 68 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games