Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
Chatterbox Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 640 641 642 643 644 645 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What army do you have?
Space Marines
19%
 19%  [ 45 ]
Eldar
4%
 4%  [ 10 ]
Dark Eldar
3%
 3%  [ 7 ]
Chaos Space Marines
10%
 10%  [ 25 ]
Tau
9%
 9%  [ 22 ]
Imperial Guard
6%
 6%  [ 15 ]
Necrons
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Deamon Hunters
1%
 1%  [ 4 ]
Witch Hunters
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
Tyranids
4%
 4%  [ 11 ]
Orks
2%
 2%  [ 5 ]
More than one.
30%
 30%  [ 71 ]
Total Votes : 231

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 1:21 pm
I started wondering, how long will GW keep up, when 3d printers will become more common and easliy accessable.

On the other hand, tommorow i'm starting to work on Furioso Dreadnought. I'm not sure yet which sarcophagus i'll take, ot which weapons i'll choose, but most likely i'll take one with the skull, thats death company if i remember well, and go with either cannon-librarian staff or claw-librarian staff. But still, first, i have to check which one looks most badass smile  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:51 pm
Wodzu
I started wondering, how long will GW keep up, when 3d printers will become more common and easliy accessable.
While more common, they are far from ideal for the creation of actual gaming pieces, as the material used is rather brittle and rough, unless you got the money to get one of those state of the art professional devices.

3D printers are good for rapid prototyping and creating masters that lead to actual production and injection molds, not gaming pieces.

Also, this has been done before, when people put rough GW designs on print sites for others to share for free. Looking at you, Dreadnought and Sentinel. GW has a right to shoot those down, as those were direct copies of their designs, something they have every right to protect.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:53 pm
Sean King
Round 1 of GW's backlash against Chapter House Studios.
I don't know about that, the sites mentioned as closing are not that kind of bits seller. They take actual GW product and sell the bits individually, unlike Chapterhouse, who create their own from scratch. While there is no law against the sale of aftermarket kits, there does appear to be a dodgy agreement or two regarding the sale of bits from GW kits.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:22 pm
Lt. Brookman
Wodzu
While more common, they are far from ideal for the creation of actual gaming pieces, as the material used is rather brittle and rough, unless you got the money to get one of those state of the art professional devices.

3D printers are good for rapid prototyping and creating masters that lead to actual production and injection molds, not gaming pieces.

Also, this has been done before, when people put rough GW designs on print sites for others to share for free. Looking at you, Dreadnought and Sentinel. GW has a right to shoot those down, as those were direct copies of their designs, something they have every right to protect.

Well, im not saying that it will be popular in 1-2 years. I was more thinking in like 10 or so. Tho i wonder if my country will survive that long, if it won't just collapse in one big pit hole..  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Fri Mar 22, 2013 6:37 pm
If you continue to read the new policy you will note that even stores that have actual brick and mortar store fronts and follow all of GW's guidelines are now prohibitted from selling any GW products online not just bits.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:52 am
Sean King
If you continue to read the new policy you will note that even stores that have actual brick and mortar store fronts and follow all of GW's guidelines are now prohibitted from selling any GW products online not just bits.
Still not sure what it has to do with Chapterhouse Studios.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 2:57 am
Wodzu
Well, im not saying that it will be popular in 1-2 years. I was more thinking in like 10 or so. Tho i wonder if my country will survive that long, if it won't just collapse in one big pit hole..
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Well, I don't know much about the economical state of your country, but the hobby sector in your country is booming. You should be proud, as you've got MicroArt Studios, Basicks, MaxMini, Puppets War, Scibor and HiTech cranking out high quality aftermarket kits for reasonable prices.

But again, 3D printing isn't ideal for gaming. I ordered a pack of female Necromunda gangers a year or so ago and well.. Shitty quality all round. The material that they offered it in is rough, brittle as all hell and all round not suited for table top miniatures.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:32 am
Lt. Brookman
Wodzu
I wouldn't worry too much about that. Well, I don't know much about the economical state of your country, but the hobby sector in your country is booming. You should be proud, as you've got MicroArt Studios, Basicks, MaxMini, Puppets War, Scibor and HiTech cranking out high quality aftermarket kits for reasonable prices.

But again, 3D printing isn't ideal for gaming. I ordered a pack of female Necromunda gangers a year or so ago and well.. Shitty quality all round. The material that they offered it in is rough, brittle as all hell and all round not suited for table top miniatures.

Well, tbh i think Your'e actually right smile .

If it goes fo material, i hat finecast. I've seen too many minis with empty boubles, deformed, bent, or anything else You could imagine wrong..

For a long time i also hated metal minis, mostly because they were always less detailedthan normal, grey plastic ones. When 6yrs ago i bought Tau Commander with command upgrade pack.. GOD... metal commander heads were so deforemed, that i wasn't even sure which way should i put them together.. But i know that this could be one time accident. Still, preffer plastic smile  

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 5:14 am
I've finally caught the cough that my wife and kid have had the last two weeks. -.-;  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:16 am
Lt. Brookman
Sean King
Still not sure what it has to do with Chapterhouse Studios.

Okay, I did some checking and this isn't anything new come to think of it. US stores have been barred from selling GW products online for close to a decade now.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 6:27 am
Wodzu
Well, tbh i think Your'e actually right smile .

If it goes fo material, i hat finecast. I've seen too many minis with empty boubles, deformed, bent, or anything else You could imagine wrong..

For a long time i also hated metal minis, mostly because they were always less detailedthan normal, grey plastic ones. When 6yrs ago i bought Tau Commander with command upgrade pack.. GOD... metal commander heads were so deforemed, that i wasn't even sure which way should i put them together.. But i know that this could be one time accident. Still, preffer plastic smile
While not a fan, Finecast has improved over time, still far from ideal, but an improvement over the first year releases.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:55 am
Lt. Brookman
While not a fan, Finecast has improved over time, still far from ideal, but an improvement over the first year releases.
Must investigate. ninja  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Sean King

Lonely Lunatic

13,975 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 11:48 am
GW really hates it's partners in the US don't they. Let's see how they can screw the US market next.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:39 pm
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

OkayIGotIt

Enduring Paladin

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:53 pm
IC - Star Paladin Nihlus
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Wots that?  
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 640 641 642 643 644 645 ... 762 763 764 765 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games