Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Merrymess

4,900 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:19 pm
Asmusei
Merrymess
They look slightly over drybrushed. Unless you're actually trying for a dusty look.

When I drybrush I tend to keep it to the edges, not out in the middle of large flat areas.
It is intended, wanted to give them a broken and chipped concrete look. What do you think about the rest of it, though?
It's kinda hard for me to get past the dumped with flour look. I keep wanting to get an old, soft paintbrush and dust the flour off. It doesn't give me the impression of concrete at all.

Do you do the black line detailing before or after the drybrushing?

Edit: I think I figured out what 'bothers' me about the drybrushing. It appears, to my eye, to obscure details rather than enhancing them.  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 7:25 pm
Merrymess
Asmusei
Merrymess
They look slightly over drybrushed. Unless you're actually trying for a dusty look.

When I drybrush I tend to keep it to the edges, not out in the middle of large flat areas.
It is intended, wanted to give them a broken and chipped concrete look. What do you think about the rest of it, though?
It's kinda hard for me to get past the dumped with flour look. I keep wanting to get an old, soft paintbrush and dust the flour off. It doesn't give me the impression of concrete at all.

Do you do the black line detailing before or after the drybrushing?
After. I didn't finish them before the pictures, but they look pretty good to me on the table-top. Plus, the flash kept washing them out a bit, never looked very good. confused  

Asmusei

Asmusei

PostPosted: Thu Jan 12, 2012 11:46 am
Alright, I need some criticism on this one, but constructive, please. I already know the the feet aren't set flat on the base and that the thumb on the right hand needs to be greenstuffed, but that will be taken care of today with some terrain manipulation and, well, greenstuff. This is also going to be a gift for my father, so I need some criticisms on what else to do with this guy, fixes and paint scheme ideas. Anyways, here you go:

User Image  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:22 am
So I've been working on ruined buildings and found cutting off the heads of finish nails was both the cheapest and fastest way to make rivets, but had nothing to do with the leftovers. So I tossed four onto a Chaos Marine. Let me know what you think:

User Image  

Asmusei

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:56 am
Bit randomly placed, it doesn't make a lot of sense why one sprouts from his chest and another from the vent of his power plant/  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:19 am
Kaori Kapoigne
Bit randomly placed, it doesn't make a lot of sense why one sprouts from his chest and another from the vent of his power plant/
It's Chaos, what else?
The pieces that I picked out have only spikes on that side anyways, so I thought I'd throw some more on. Also, I'll be painting them to look like he welded them on instead of being stabbed through the chest.  

Asmusei

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 11:34 am
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
It's Chaos, what else?
The pieces that I picked out have only spikes on that side anyways, so I thought I'd throw some more on. Also, I'll be painting them to look like he welded them on instead of being stabbed through the chest.
The chest one makes shooting hard you know  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:25 pm
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
It's Chaos, what else?
Bolters have an effective range of 82 meters, but no one catches that.
Do you think I should remove it? I'd like to have all four on it, but not sure where else to place it.  

Asmusei

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 12:31 pm
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
It's Chaos, what else?
Do you think I should remove it? I'd like to have all four on it, but not sure where else to place it.
its your model, do as you please, just saying that holding a bolter in two hands is kinda hard right now  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2012 3:53 pm
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
It's Chaos, what else?
its your model, do as you please, just saying that holding a bolter in two hands is kinda hard right now
Right, I'm just trying to think of a different spot for the spike to go.  

Asmusei

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:19 am
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
It's Chaos, what else?
middle of the top of the powerplant, maybe shove a severed head onto it for extra chaos points?  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:21 am
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
middle of the top of the powerplant, maybe shove a severed head onto it for extra chaos points?
Maybe a bit to the side-middle? I'd like them to be mainly on one side...  

Asmusei

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2012 12:22 am
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
more power to you, its your model wink  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 24, 2012 7:01 pm
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
Asmusei
Kaori Kapoigne
If you could make them fit, doing 8 in an 8-pointed-star from the backpack would look neat and fit the theme. Otherwise, I think the three protruding from the top would be easier and look slick. Also, consider having heads or skulls of defeated foes speared on the spikes on the back, like the cultists from DoW.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

master magatsu

Dangerous Seeker

4,450 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Explorer 0
  • Treasure Hunter 100
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:08 pm
User Image

User Image

User Image

my first few blood angels how are they my apologies for the size i thought they would be smaller since they were taken from a cellphone  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 60 61 62 63 64 65 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games