Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Welcome to the Rehab Center Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 10:47 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
sabaku-okami
I loathe people mixing systems of magick together.

If that's the case, you probably want to stop using the spelling of "magick" to refer to any and all magical practices as the "k" spelling is specific to Thelema, not any and every magical system.

Other than that though you'll be fine here razz Welcome to the fold!

I sound like a...something...I don't know. Does fold have a bad connotation? I don't know sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:32 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
sabaku-okami
I loathe people mixing systems of magick together.

If that's the case, you probably want to stop using the spelling of "magick" to refer to any and all magical practices as the "k" spelling is specific to Thelema, not any and every magical system.

Do you have proof of what you say? Something more reliable then wikipedia. Traditional Hermetic magick systems were spelled like that because magic is an illusion, not the pratice of the religion.
Try reading a few orginal manuscript books from the Hermatic age. A good read is the Azoetia, Codex Saerus, reference the Agrippa, Heptameron.  

bigdickpenny

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 18, 2009 11:52 pm
sabaku-okami

Do you have proof of what you say? Something more reliable then wikipedia. Traditional Hermetic magick systems were spelled like that because magic is an illusion, not the pratice of the religion.
Try reading a few orginal manuscript books from the Hermatic age. A good read is the Azoetia, Codex Saerus, reference the Agrippa, Heptameron.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Azoetia is NOT from the "Hermetic age" (the Renaissance). It was written by Andrew Chumbley, a Sabbatic Witch, who died of heart failure in the 90's.

The Codex Saerus is a book on Satanism, a movement started in the late 60s by Anton Szandor LaVey. At least his version, which the Codex follows pretty well.

Agrippa doesn't use Magick.

Nor does The Heptameron.

Magick is spelled that way because Aleister Crowley made it that way.

Magick
The Anglo-Saxon k in Magick, like most of Crowley's conceits, is a means of indicating the kind of magic which he performed. K is the eleventh letter of several alphabets, and eleven is the principal number of magick, because it is the number attributed to the Qliphoth - the underworld of demonic and chaotic forces that have to be conquered before magick can be performed. K has other magical implications: it corresponds to the power or shakti aspect of creative energy, for k is the ancient Egyptian khu, the magical power. Specifically, it stands for kteis (v****a), the complement to the wand (or phallus) which is used by the Magician in certain aspects of the Great Work.

Cite: Crowley, Aleister. Magick. Boston, MA: Weiser, 1994. Print. Introduction.

We are serious group here , Sab, trust me on this.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 12:14 am
Arcanist Angus
sabaku-okami

Whoa, whoa, whoa. The Azoetia is NOT from the "Hermetic age" (the Renaissance). It was written by Andrew Chumbley, a Sabbatic Witch, who died of heart failure in the 90's.

The Codex Saerus is a book on Satanism, a movement started in the late 60s by Anton Szandor LaVey. At least his version, which the Codex follows pretty well.

Agrippa doesn't use Magick.
I am impressed that you know your magic books. So this guild isn't so fluffy after all lol.

Nor does The Heptameron.

Magick is spelled that way because Aleister Crowley made it that way.

Magick
The Anglo-Saxon k in Magick, like most of Crowley's conceits, is a means of indicating the kind of magic which he performed. K is the eleventh letter of several alphabets, and eleven is the principal number of magick, because it is the number attributed to the Qliphoth - the underworld of demonic and chaotic forces that have to be conquered before magick can be performed. K has other magical implications: it corresponds to the power or shakti aspect of creative energy, for k is the ancient Egyptian khu, the magical power. Specifically, it stands for kteis (v****a), the complement to the wand (or phallus) which is used by the Magician in certain aspects of the Great Work.

Cite: Crowley, Aleister. Magick. Boston, MA: Weiser, 1994. Print. Introduction.

We are serious group here , Sab, trust me on this.

Doesn't mean that you didnt look the books up instead of reading them but I am impressed that you know your magic books. So this guild isn't so fluffy after all lol.
This is true, I did throw a couple of books in their to see if you knew what they were. Of course I was not using then as a reference, mearly as to say they were good reading. the codex isn't based on la veys satanism either, nor is the Azoetia. If you read them they are quite out there. I do have a few works from the order of nine angles, but they are also, out there. La vey was a hypocrite with his works and it isn't Satanism as a god, but more or less be a human and fulfill your urges.
But I do urge you to read those books.
By all rights no matter what people say Crowley was out of his mind mad with power. I have his books and a bio on him. He did the magic but is wasn't the safest methods. Like reading the lesser key in a pyrmiad over night. Summoning a demon with him out of the circle. Yeah he was out their.  

bigdickpenny

Adalyna

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 3:08 am
sabaku-okami

Doesn't mean that you didnt look the books up instead of reading them but I am impressed that you know your magic books. So this guild isn't so fluffy after all lol.

Believe me their not. I can vouch for them and just how much I've learned here about culture, honesty, and respect, as well as about the variety of traditions and pathways that are out there, learned a great deal about how to go about my own path in a respectful way. I've still a long way to go, of course, but I can certainly vouch that it lives up to its name.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 5:23 am
Um... Hi. I'm Ultramarine Violet, but feel free to just call me Violet or Vi.

I'd been practicing what I could learn on the basis of Cunningham, Beyerl, and a few other sources, but I wasn't really certain what to call it. In retrospect, I feel a little silly, but... it was comfortable, at the time, and I feel ready to expand on what information I have to find a more specific, detail-rich and personal idea of the specific path that's right for me. So... Hai thar!  

Ultramarine Violet

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:09 am
sabaku-okami

Only book I had to look up was the Hepta yadah. This is a Rehabilitation Center for Fluffies. It is a place of learning and respect.

sabaku-okami

This is true, I did throw a couple of books in their to see if you knew what they were. Of course I was not using then as a reference, mearly as to say they were good reading.

How tricksy of you stare

sabaku-okami
the codex isn't based on la veys satanism either

Having read it, it seems to be based on what Leveyan Satanists have said to me. Worshiping of the Self and such.

sabaku-okami

nor is the Azoetia. If you read them they are quite out there.

I own a copy of the Azoetia. Love love love. I wouldn't use anything from it, but I like reading it. Lots of power in that book.

sabaku-okami
I do have a few works from the order of nine angles, but they are also, out there.

Do you feel that being "out there" is a bad thing?

sabaku-okami
La vey was a hypocrite with his works and it isn't Satanism as a god, but more or less be a human and fulfill your urges.
This I know. ;p I study more than you think I do, haha.

sabaku-okami

Sacred-Text is win for Agrippa. Read all his books on there.

sabaku-okami
By all rights no matter what people say Crowley was out of his mind mad with power. I have his books and a bio on him. He did the magic but is wasn't the safest methods. Like reading the lesser key in a pyrmiad over night. Summoning a demon with him out of the circle. Yeah he was out their.

Perhaps Crowley was mad, perhaps he was just being a sarcastic a** like he usually is (ever read his Book of Lies? Funny shite right there). I like the man, personally; his writings are superb.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:20 am
Arcanist Angus

Perhaps Crowley was mad, perhaps he was just being a sarcastic a** like he usually is (ever read his Book of Lies? Funny shite right there). I like the man, personally; his writings are superb.

Ever read his introduction to the Lesser Keys for that matter? Half the bloody thing is him basically saying "Well, I am far too good at what I do to need this, but here's something for all you poor unfortunates." xd  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Nines19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:26 am
Ultramarine Violet

I'd been practicing what I could learn on the basis of Cunningham, Beyerl, and a few other sources, but I wasn't really certain what to call it. In retrospect, I feel a little silly, but... it was comfortable, at the time, and I feel ready to expand on what information I have to find a more specific, detail-rich and personal idea of the specific path that's right for me. So... Hai thar!

Cunningham's books teach the Standing Stone Tradition (of... religious witchcraft? I think?), which, while not Wicca, is a fairly valid spiritual path.

I don't know anything about Beyerl, this being the first I've heard of him, but his Wiki page looks suspicious. (Or do I just find anything with the word "Wicca" and a term from "The Lord of the Rings" both used in the same seriousness "suspicious"?)  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:30 am
Cyrus the Elder

Ever read his introduction to the Lesser Keys for that matter? Half the bloody thing is him basically saying "Well, I am far too good at what I do to need this, but here's something for all you poor unfortunates." xd

Yes, hehe, his story about how he came by the Goetia always makes me chuckle. I found a video on him in the movie store insulting him and calling him a Satanist. And I was like...um...No, you ********, respect that man, please.  

Cunning Witch Angus

Cunning Witch Angus

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:31 am
Nines19

Cunningham's books teach the Standing Stone Tradition (of... religious witchcraft? I think?), which, while not Wicca, is a fairly valid spiritual path.

I don't know anything about Beyerl, this being the first I've heard of him, but his Wiki page looks suspicious. (Or do I just find anything with the word "Wicca" and a term from "The Lord of the Rings" both used in the same seriousness "suspicious"?)

Apparently his book on herbs is pretty good though haha.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:45 am
Arcanist Angus
Nines19

@Nines19: As far as Cunningham goes, yes, I think his guide to the Standing Stones tradition points pretty fairly to religious witchcraft. I've heard it called a 'witchcult tradition', which I'm not sure how to take, but it's pretty neat. As for Beyerl, I've only really read his herbal - as for 'following' it, I mainly just mean that part of my personal practice is founded in part in his notes on traditional uses of the herbs listed, as well as planetary/gemstone/elemental/deity correspondences, etc.

I don't know about LotR terms and what-have-you, but maybe it's a descriptive thing. I don't know much about his works outside of the herbal... I'll look for the precise title in a minute. I've been learning all kinds of new cautions against judging sources on limited material, lately. ^.^;

[Edited for reading comprehension fail.]

@Arcanist Angus: Why the 'haha'? Beyerl's herbal is excellent, if only from a standpoint of equipping a beginning herbalist/herbologist with knowledge of proper tools, methods, and terminology. I'd buy it for that alone, in fact. It's awesome.  

Ultramarine Violet

Nines19

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:58 am
Ultramarine Violet
Arcanist Angus
Nines19

@Nines19: As far as Cunningham goes, yes, I think his guide to the Standing Stones tradition points pretty fairly to religious witchcraft. I've heard it called a 'witchcult tradition', which I'm not sure how to take, but it's pretty neat. As for Beyerl, I've only really read his herbal - as for 'following' it, I mainly just mean that part of my personal practice is founded in part in his notes on traditional uses of the herbs listed, as well as planetary/gemstone/elemental/deity correspondences, etc.

I don't know about LotR terms and what-have-you, but maybe it's a descriptive thing. I don't know much about his works outside of the herbal... I'll look for the precise title in a minute. I've been learning all kinds of new cautions against judging sources on limited material, lately. ^.^;

[Edited for reading comprehension fail.]

@Arcanist Angus: Why the 'haha'? Beyerl's herbal is excellent, if only from a standpoint of equipping a beginning herbalist/herbologist with knowledge of proper tools, methods, and terminology. I'd buy it for that alone, in fact. It's awesome.

That makes sense.

"Wichcult tradition" pretty much means "religious witchcraft tradition," (Wicca is one, for example) in almost all cases I have seen. I would suppose it is possible to have a non-religious witchcult, it just doesn't seem to be the norm as far as witchcults seem to go.  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:16 am
Arcanist Angus
sabaku-okami

Only book I had to look up was the Hepta yadah. This is a Rehabilitation Center for Fluffies. It is a place of learning and respect.

sabaku-okami

This is true, I did throw a couple of books in their to see if you knew what they were. Of course I was not using then as a reference, mearly as to say they were good reading.

How tricksy of you stare

sabaku-okami
the codex isn't based on la veys satanism either

Having read it, it seems to be based on what Leveyan Satanists have said to me. Worshiping of the Self and such.

sabaku-okami

nor is the Azoetia. If you read them they are quite out there.

I own a copy of the Azoetia. Love love love. I wouldn't use anything from it, but I like reading it. Lots of power in that book.

sabaku-okami
I do have a few works from the order of nine angles, but they are also, out there.

Do you feel that being "out there" is a bad thing?

sabaku-okami
La vey was a hypocrite with his works and it isn't Satanism as a god, but more or less be a human and fulfill your urges.
This I know. ;p I study more than you think I do, haha.

sabaku-okami

Sacred-Text is win for Agrippa. Read all his books on there.

sabaku-okami

I know that he added things to the books that we not supose to be their and he did it to mess with people. Being out there is fine. I"m half way to japan but in reality how many people have read the Azoetia? I have an extremly large library if you are in need of abook let me know and I'll e-mail it to you. I have 60.3 GB (64,767,301,893 bytes of magic books so ask away. I'm waiting for the right time for me to start working out of Dee's and Kelly's notes.  

bigdickpenny

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Sep 19, 2009 10:34 am
sabaku-okami
I'm Nordic by blood and I am a godi in my following.
By what authority are you a godhi?
Who are you a godhi to?

sabaku-okami

A Godi is a term relivent to priest, but their are more Volva which is a female priestess.
Actually, Gyðja was the feminine form. The role of the Völva was not identical to that of a speaker for the gods. After all, seiðr was not the only magic known to the Norse.

Quote:

If men praticed magick it was considered to be womanly.
Why are you homogenizing and bastardizing Norse culture? Did someone up and erase all the galdrar from Norse Paganism while I wasn't looking?
Quote:

Odin is the only male Aesir god to learn magick from the Vanir.
Someone want to tell that to Loki?

Arcanist Angus
I have just never heard the term Godi.
Often you'll find fools claiming to be Godhi as a way to appeal to personal authority.

Arcanist Angus

Other than that though you'll be fine here razz Welcome to the fold!

I sound like a...something...I don't know. Does fold have a bad connotation? I don't know sweatdrop
Not to me.

sabaku-okami
Traditional Hermetic magick systems were spelled like that because magic is an illusion, not the pratice of the religion.

So, now that we've demonstrated that you're wrong when it comes to the history of the spelling of "Magick", let's follow up with the fact that illusion was included within Temple Worship. We have it well documented amongst the Hellenics and the Kemetics- Heron of Alexandria was an amazing inventor who created illusions for grand Temples in the ancient world.

So not only was your assertion about Traditional Hermetic systems in error, but so is your assertion about illusion and the practice of religion.

sabaku-okami
So this guild isn't so fluffy after all lol.
I should fetch the irony trout.
Quote:

La vey was a hypocrite with his works
How do you figure that.
Quote:

By all rights no matter what people say Crowley was out of his mind mad with power.
Prove this statement please. I'll wait.
Quote:

Like reading the lesser key in a pyrmiad over night.
What makes you think reading a book in a specifically shaped structure is unsafe?

Ultramarine Violet
This is going to get confusing. wink

Quote:
Welcome. Why do you feel silly? Standing Stone is spiritually fulfilling for lots of people.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 86 87 88 89 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games