Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:07 pm
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

But then, there's the question about if you should be practicing magic as well.

Why did my heart drop the moment I saw this? sad
Probably because you're afraid of being told "no."

This happens to me too sweatdrop I think though she might have been referring to philosophically wise. I don't know much about Hedge Witchcraft, but to make an example, I shouldn't practice Wicca. Ignoring the fact that God owns my soul for the moment (and hypothetically only, please) but philosophically, I'd clash with it. I am against selfishness and hold certain morals that would clash with Wicca.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:09 pm
Evolutionay Gothik Theory
Gho the Girl
Also, if you want any help, ask or post away, that's what we're here for.

Maybe try making a Pathway thread in the Pathways subforum. I know that I don't always know the questions that I need to ask myself.
Thanks Gho. I'm going to think about it some more and write down my thoughts first. Then I might make a Pathway thread in the Pathways subform.
Cool. Lemme know how it goes!  

Gho the Girl

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:50 pm
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

This happens to me too sweatdrop I think though she might have been referring to philosophically wise. I don't know much about Hedge Witchcraft, but to make an example, I shouldn't practice Wicca. Ignoring the fact that God owns my soul for the moment (and hypothetically only, please) but philosophically, I'd clash with it. I am against selfishness and hold certain morals that would clash with Wicca.

I'm extremely scared of being told "no" lately. lol

But I can understand that, Gho. Thank you for explaining, though I'm afraid that might not be what she's talking about. Emphasis on the word "afraid". xD

Again, Gho, Thank you. You really make me feel good about things.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:58 pm
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

But I can understand that, Gho. Thank you for explaining, though I'm afraid that might not be what she's talking about. Emphasis on the word "afraid". xD

Your most welcome dear sister. I can really empathise, even today. I send you love and courage in your quest.  

Gho the Girl

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:59 pm
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

Your most welcome dear sister. I can really empathise, even today. I send you love and courage in your quest.

Thank you very much, Gho. I am so grateful for your blessings and care.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:03 am
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

Thank you for your gratitude. If there's ever a way I can be of service, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do.  

Gho the Girl

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:07 am
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

My stupid question: Flyting is...?
Insult contest.

Interesting.

Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

The standard motto is "Don't call up what you can't put down".

I don't think you would be happy with blood thirsty beasties that are part of a Middle Eastern god's will running around the place. (And that's my polite address for them. )

Oh dear. sweatdrop No I would not.

That and magic tends to draw attention. Sometimes from things and people that are... unpleasant.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:12 am
Recursive Paradox
TeaDidikai

I don't think you would be happy with blood thirsty beasties that are part of a Middle Eastern god's will running around the place. (And that's my polite address for them. )

That and magic tends to draw attention. Sometimes from things and people that are... unpleasant.And not the "comes over for lunch uninvited and eats all your chips and gets crumbs everywhere" unpleasant either. 3nodding  

Gho the Girl

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:42 am
What exactly is Hedge Witchcraft?

I remember reading (from the now defunct thecrookedheath.com, which went down shortly after the owner had some kind of argument (???) with Robin Artisson; IDK on that one, I just remember reading some LiveJournal comments) that Hedge Witchcraft was the art of 'jumping the hedge.' The 'hedge' being reality. Basically, a practitioner would cross from this 'realm' into another. I also recall the usage of herbs or salves being used (though I don't remember if they were used every time).

I seem to have a lot of stupid questions lately, hehe. sweatdrop  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:48 am
Synnthetika

I remember reading (from the now defunct thecrookedheath.com, which went down shortly after the owner had some kind of argument (???) with Robin Artisson; IDK on that one, I just remember reading some LiveJournal comments) that Hedge Witchcraft was the art of 'jumping the hedge.' The 'hedge' being reality. Basically, a practitioner would cross from this 'realm' into another. I also recall the usage of herbs or salves being used (though I don't remember if they were used every time).

I seem to have a lot of stupid questions lately, hehe. sweatdrop
Many of these questions aren't so much stupid as we assume them to be.

We assume "Oh this is like common knowledge and so obviously it's stupid to ask it."

Even if it's not.

Either that or I'm WAAAAY more stupid than I think I am . . . which is possible. ninja  

Gho the Girl

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 am
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
That and magic tends to draw attention. Sometimes from things and people that are... unpleasant.
And not the "comes over for lunch uninvited and eats all your chips and gets crumbs everywhere" unpleasant either. 3nodding

Besides a lot of ignorance of my own trad's magical practice, this is another big reason why I don't bother. sweatdrop Though I have considered asking Fiddler over for spiritual disaster clean-up, in case of emergency. ninja  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 am
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
Namikikyo
TeaDidikai

And not the "comes over for lunch uninvited and eats all your chips and gets crumbs everywhere" unpleasant either. 3nodding

The way some Neo Pagans talked about them, I thought they may be these super good guardian elemental things. I was lied to, apparently.

What exactly have these creatures done that make them so bad? O_O

Also, I agree that magic attracts unwanted things. But isn't that the price for doing something of that nature? And magic can also attract good, right? With the right protection and personal protocols for certian situations, that price can be avoided?

No one really has to answer the blob of questions above. sweatdrop

Namikikyo

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:15 am
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl
Namikikyo
Gho the Girl

Thank you for your gratitude. If there's ever a way I can be of service, please let me know, and I'll see what I can do.

redface I will. Thank you, Gho.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:17 am
Namikikyo

No one really has to answer the blob of questions above. sweatdrop

lol You're so cute Nami! whee

Wish I could help but I'll leave the answers to people more qualified.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 10, 2010 9:02 am
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
I don't know enough about hoodoo/voodoo to say.
Why would it be tied to those two traditions?
Oh, when I made that comment about store bought dolls I was thinking about the "Do it yourself Voodoo Kit" that I see at stores.

I've often wondered, save for pop-culture's understanding, what made them "Voodoo".

Okay, Maybe Tea can clear that up for everyone.
What am I clearing up?

You guys have managed to completely confuse me.

Gho the Girl
Tea doesn't have to do everything herself, yeh?
redface

This is a byproduct of me having such a mouth on me, isn't it?

It might be contradictory, but as of now, I am not going to deny the existence of any deity, as I believe all of them exist.
Don't see why it's a contradiction myself.

But then, I'm a hard polytheist.

Gho the Girl
How do you account for the contradictions?
Which contradictions would these be?

Namikikyo
Well, from what I've read, I really like Hedge Witchcraft which is considered Folk, right?
What do you consider Hedge Witchcraft.

Quote:

Because you're nervous. But it's a valid question. One you need to be able to answer before you go further.

Synnthetika
Good question. I can't say I've seen the Hedge Witches agree to date.

My impression- my synthesis after listening to/reading a bunch of Hedge Witches opinions on the matter is that it's an Otherworld tradition in a similiar style to Wica. That is to say, it's modeled to look like Old English Witchcraft- even though most of the etymological justification is actually found in Old High Germanic.

I've seen the term applied to such otherworld traditions, to what people popularly call "Green Witchcraft" (don't get me started on how absurd I find that kind of title) and pretty much everything in between.

I think if I found myself interested in this sort of thing, I'd likely skip the modern facsimile and root around for the historical practices people toss into a blender under the same title- especially since a crapton of what is published is clearly influenced by Gardner and Leland.

But hey- we all know what a stick in the mud I can be.

Bastemhet

Besides a lot of ignorance of my own trad's magical practice, this is another big reason why I don't bother. sweatdrop
Fair reasoning there.

Namikikyo
The way some Neo Pagans talked about them, I thought they may be these super good guardian elemental things. I was lied to, apparently.
Wouldn't go so far as to say you were lied to.
Some of them might be.
Some of them might not be.
Some of them resemble Infernals and Supernals from different Middle Eastern traditions.
Sometimes they are Gregori.
Some of them are referenced in initiatory cults.

Hence why I was looking for a tradition to provide context.

Quote:

What exactly have these creatures done that make them so bad? O_O
Depends on the tradition.

Some of them left their realm and duty in order to rape women on earth.
But then, some of them might not be bad blokes at all.
Quote:
But isn't that the price for doing something of that nature?
Sometimes.
Quote:

And magic can also attract good, right?
Sometimes.

Quote:
With the right protection and personal protocols for certian situations, that price can be avoided?
Avoiding paying... Hmmmm...

Feel like exploring that?

Bastemhet
Wish I could help but I'll leave the answers to people more qualified.
The only thing that makes me "qualified" is a handful of theological studies in college and way too much time on my hands when I worked in a bookstore.
Also? Keen research skills.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 58 59 60 61 62 63 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games