Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]
Errol McGillivray (illust. & visual storytelling) - [hiatus] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:54 pm
Some else accepted me as a mentee (I asked her but didn't realize her thread was locked so I came and asked you... but she came back and accepted me) so I'd understand if you took me off your list. ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:38 am
*thumbs up*  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:12 am
So I was told I should start using those shape things before drawing so my proportions were right... but I don't know how to! I tried emulating a book I have but... well... this is the result.
User Image
I don't know what I did wrong or how to fix it... please help me! >_<

PP Thread: http://www.gaiaonline.com/forum/picture-post/omg-someone-please-help-me-draw-over-needed/t.33013637/

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:04 pm
User Image

Silhouette Composition self-critique

-I'm not happy with the figures--they're too far to the right, and they're terribly out of proportion. Not to mention they're improperly aligned, spacially/planes-wise.
[Guy 1 needs to be further to the left and closer to the foreground, also needs to be rotated slightly towards our right, so that his right leg is closer to us and the gaps/leg pose is more apparent. Guy 2 needs to be moved forward slightly and more to the left. His left leg needs to be raised more and his balance is off. Guy 3 needs to be moved onto the same pose as Guy 2, and his entire stance/pose needs to be revamped].

-I'm semi-happy with the current values on the two main veils and foreground smoke, but the guys are darker than them and they shouldn't be, I don't think? That was uninentional, because I drew the figures before the background.

-The veil on our right needs to be more symmetrical with the one on the left. The values for the veils behind them need to be lighter rather than darker, I think.

-The pillars and the floor are messy. Will most definitely be done more neatly and with more consideration in the final piece.

Tools: Err. Some kind of ink pen, nothing professional. Uni-ball, maybe? Something I had on me at school.
Time..hnn. I was working on it for two to three periods, off and on...so I'd say half an hour to an hour, not sure exactly.

<><><>

User Image

You said you wanted sketches, whatever else I was doing when I had free time, yes?
Thus, I procured up this--I kept stopping to sketch during an assigned reading because I liked the imagery/characters, and wanted to try and draw them, their hair especially--it was described as having been shaved into beautiful patterns, a concept which I found fascinating and new.

I had some trouble with the posing, especially since I very rarely draw children--I have a feeling the little girl's arm is too long, and that the mother is off in some ways I can't quite put my finger on.
For a sketch, I'm happy with it. I'm not sure if I'm going to make this into a painting [digital or not] or not, but it would be interesting to do so.

The pose is meant to be protective, because the mother has already lost...twelve or so children, I believe, all at very young ages. She is very fond of her daughter, who is also very fond of her, but has a mind of her own--thus, the girl is looking at the viewer [or that's what I tried to do, it didn't turn out quite right], whereas the mother is looking down at her.

Also, I couldn't get the legs/feet right...It feels like the mother should be on the same plane as the child, but when I draw her feet in that position, her legs looks squashed or some such.
Help on that or an explanation as to why would be appreciated.

Yukiko Gemini

Yukiko Gemini

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:48 pm
Oh, and I just remembered.
I also have a conceptual/abstract comic I did for creative writing that I'd like to show you/get feed back on, but...I have to get it back from my teacher first. I really hope she hasn't lost it/marked on the front [I left her a note asking her not to, but it was on the back, so...]/etc.
Hmm. I was pretty pleased with it, though. The strangest things can come out of your head at two in the morning...But any way, I'll try to get that to you by the end of next week, if possible.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:59 pm
Gemini: Take your time. I need to go over what you just gave me. I'm dead tired, so it won't happen tonight. I'll give it a read tomorrow and hopefully get started.

Pirate: I hope they didn't confuse the hell outta you with so many draw overs. neutral

Before I tell you anything, what are you going for? What exactly do you want people to "read" when they see your drawing. Don't worry about the anatomy just yet. First, do a little doodle of what you have in mind. Very small. Very simple. Gemini has a great example of some thumbnail doodles with the people together. See how you can tell about their relationship by just the doodle? One is holding the other protectively. (I didn't need the words to see that. Good job Gemini. That pose reads pretty well.)  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 7:08 am
Honestly, I just want to draw something simple yet as anatomically correct as possible. It's going to be a halloween costume concept. Yet I thought I might as well practice the anatomy while I'm at it.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 27, 2007 2:28 pm
Thank you.~

As for the timing/etc...Sure thing. I didn't expect immediate results, just wanted to stop procrastinating and get it out here. Take your time.~

Yukiko Gemini

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2007 12:49 pm
I updated my PP thread.

Thanks for the advice Gemini. ^_^

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 7:25 am
http://rei-of-hellfire.deviantart.com/art/Lord-Dragonbane-65805336
Link for Errie so he doesn't forget meh xD  

Huggleberry Finn

Magical Stalker

LavenderMintRose

Cheery Sweetheart

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:12 am
*leaves my current mentor to be your mentee* Can I?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 3:43 pm
No problem, Pirate.~

Errol--> I'm having computer difficulties and won't be able to get on my computer anymore until it's fixed, not sure how long that would take. I'm going to try to check in using other computers, with the library as a last resort. Just a heads up.

Yukiko Gemini

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:32 am
Starre257
*leaves my current mentor to be your mentee* Can I?
Sure.

Announcement: I'm gonna be scarce until Tuesday night. I'm really behind in my work.

I am checking the thread and looking at everything. I just haven't had time to compile it all. I should be caught up as of tomorrow. (I just pulled an overnight. At the same time, my alarm went off 20 minutes ago to get up to go to work. I haven't slept and my head is THROBBING. gonk Wish me luck.)  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 2:33 am
Yukiko Gemini
No problem, Pirate.~

Errol--> I'm having computer difficulties and won't be able to get on my computer anymore until it's fixed, not sure how long that would take. I'm going to try to check in using other computers, with the library as a last resort. Just a heads up.
No problem. I was the same way as you know.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2007 12:53 pm
Honestly... the same thing is happening to me... my internet is down, only one person can be on at a time... and my Mom totally pwns it... so I can only get on for a little bit. gonk

I can get on at school, but I don't have time to stay at school much because of work.

Good luck Errol!  
Mentor Threads [Dedicated Mentoring here!]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces