Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Errol's sketchbook [images added 5/2/11] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:40 pm
Teh Prurient Pirate Queen

You already heard my thoughts on the first one... lemme talk about the second.

I like the pose, and I don't. I honestly don't understand it... it seems REALLY uncomfortable. I could see it as a cute little "fall... oops, you see my panties" kinda animeish thing... but why would she be reading like that? Other than that, it's awesome. Simple yet very nice.

I can't help but laugh at the fact that she has cat ears on yet her name is Elizabunny. haha

Overall, really cute and well done picture. ^_^
She's not reading, per say, but that's the prop the avatar had. You make a good point though. I just wanted her on all fours with panties showing. *shrug* That's a lot of issues with the hands and feet and the whole thing is soft and lacks structure. But it's cute. xP The focus of the post is mostly the decent attempt at learning. *tries to detour attention from the crap avatar sketch to the charcoal with neon orange air traffic batons*  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:05 pm
Hmmm Panty shot? *giggle*
Anyways. The foot looks funky... the farther back one.
And I think I understand it... Or at least it makes sence in my head....? It's like a ditsy girl that has that cute innocent naive sexyness about her? and it looks like she dropped her book, or is looking through it for a second before going back to whatever she was doing... and she doesnt realize that her skirt is a bit too short. wink

That's my take. The face and hair is amazing btw. But it looks like the farther back shoulder should be... farther back? It looks like the far side of the body is a bit too stretched... just me though.

I'm still envious...  

Yuri Mono

KotokoPlum

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:15 pm
The charcoal is interesting, though I'm wondering: where are the light source/s? There seems to be one on the left and mayhaps another on the right?  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:23 pm
Yuri Mono: Don't be envious. I'm just learning. It only seems complex because you haven't tried it yourself. In time, it gets easier. *keeps telling himself that xd * As for the avatar... It was 20 minute giftart during the event. I think it's safe to say it's not something I felt the need to correct the mistakes I saw. I just wanted to do something besides academic art. You gotta have fun with it often or you'll bore yourself.

KotokoPlum: It was from a photo. I'm sure there are multiple light sources because these are studio photos for figure drawing (the figures) and a photo taken in a museum for the statue.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 7:25 pm
Point taken. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:17 pm
User Image  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 9:56 am
the knee cap looks a bit funny... like it's shaded to dark in not quite the right place..... makes it look a bit more chubby than it should?
and the right hand.......i dont know. it doesnt look like it's really suposed to be there? like it's just resting on her knee...... but it looks like it should be grabbing her knee for support.....did i totally botch your intent?

still freaking awesome. curvy, shapely... pretty much amazing.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 02, 2007 12:11 pm
Errol McGillivray
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
I used charcoal pencil and white charcoal to try and work this one as well as the pencil. Is it any improvement?

Yea man, thats better. Also one little pointer. The general Eye shape is like a Thin Almond.  

Poetic_Skater

6,950 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Tycoon 200
  • Forum Regular 100

s t i c k y k i t t e h

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:47 pm
the knee that's bent, the patela is in the wrong place. if her foot is in that direction, the patela should line up and be on top of or behind the bend. i'm kind of confused by it, so sorry if that didn't make sense. i LOVE the pose, by the way. her legs seem slightly too short to me, and her torso too thin, but that may be because of the size of the head more than anything. in the end, it still looks good. the only things that immediately stand out to me are that kneecap, her head being a bit large (i understand how it's tricky with that wig, though... maybe the facial features just need to be less exaggerated?) and i must stress that her neck is far too long, and bent at an unnatural and uncomfortable-looking angle, like a bird that's flown into a window or something... sorry if that sounds really harsh, but i don't know how else to explain it. the bend looks too exaggerated, especially with the lenght of the neck. i would try angling her face different so that her head is actually upside-down like the rest of her body. that's how i'd be laying. i feel like she's falling on her neck and breaking it >.<
i think if you fixed just the kneecap and placed her neck/head at a different angle, it would be perfect, though. beautiful work.  
PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:27 pm
Thanks guys. Kittysketch, thanks especially for the advanced look. I'm just starting to learn anatomy (from a technical standpoint) so it helps a lot to get proper names and instruction about mechanics.

I'm going to redline this per the things you guys said later. Right now, I'm extremely busy with finals and the secret santa.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Errol McGillivray
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 9:15 pm
Kept what you said about the knee in mind with I did this one. (I actually corrected it per what you said.)

Warning: Male nude

Charcoal pencil, charcoal stick on layout bond. 18x24  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:22 pm
Female nude

Long pose. 4 hours, 4H pencil, charcoal, charcoal pencil. Layout bond.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sriae

PostPosted: Fri Dec 14, 2007 9:12 pm
AAAH HOW DO YOU GET SUCH LONG POSES? [envies like hell] The longest ones I have available to me are 20 min ones. ;A;

Anyway, feedback-wise, I feel as though you could go much more contrasty, namely on your male piece. Try and just block in the dark darks first, then go for the lighter definition. (mind you, I'm speaking from the experience of having to draw really fast. D cool From my experiences with life drawing, there are usually really strong shadows and cast shadows. Try and let them define the body, instead of lines (course for short ones you don't have the time). As for the female nude, first MAN I LOVE HER BUTT. [fails at female butts] The contrast applies, though more for the torso area and especially the head. Course, there's them time constraints so it's understandable if you didn't get to those areas.

Wooo huge chunk of text.  
PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 5:16 am
Sriae
AAAH HOW DO YOU GET SUCH LONG POSES? [envies like hell] The longest ones I have available to me are 20 min ones. ;A;

Anyway, feedback-wise, I feel as though you could go much more contrasty, namely on your male piece. Try and just block in the dark darks first, then go for the lighter definition. (mind you, I'm speaking from the experience of having to draw really fast. D cool From my experiences with life drawing, there are usually really strong shadows and cast shadows. Try and let them define the body, instead of lines (course for short ones you don't have the time). As for the female nude, first MAN I LOVE HER BUTT. [fails at female butts] The contrast applies, though more for the torso area and especially the head. Course, there's them time constraints so it's understandable if you didn't get to those areas.

Wooo huge chunk of text.
Well, the male piece was for foreshortening and the female was supposed to be rendered.

I got to school online, so I get photos of models. The good part is you can work as long as you like. The bad part is, you can't rely entire on your eyes. You also have to know a bit about how to make it look like it's really there while you use a photo. I wish I could get a mix of both, but the school is in california and I'm in NY. There's a place called Student Art League in NYC that I'm starting at tomorrow. The figure classes are full for sunday, but not that's school's done, I can start taking the saturday class and work with live models. They have a short pose model and a long pose model in the same class. I tried to take the sunday class but it's full. gonk

Note: Once the Secret Santa is over, I'll be starting a figure drawing workshop in the main forum. I'll share the models I got to use along with the 3D models (fake. It's the kind that you scroll through and they "turn".) I'll also use fineart.sk models. But they'll be plenty along with tutorials and we can all help each other get over the hurdle of drawing people.  

Errol McGillivray
Captain

Sriae

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 10:32 pm
AND AND DON'T FORGET THIS PLACE!

http://www.posemaniacs.com/pose/thirtysecond.html

biggrin DD  
Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 12 13 14 15 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash