Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
Great British Television! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:22 am
ITV is the new Channel 5. I never watch either. I rarely watch TV, but when I do it's frequently the BBC or C4.

dreaming_mouse
Even if you don't watch the BBC you have to pay for it!

That's not completely true. You only have to pay the TV licensing fees, which are hardly astronomical, if you actually use your television to watch television. If you never watch any television, and you can prove this, you do not have to pay.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:38 am
Foetus In Fetu
ITV is the new Channel 5. I never watch either. I rarely watch TV, but when I do it's frequently the BBC or C4.

dreaming_mouse

That's not completely true. You only have to pay the TV licensing fees, which are hardly astronomical, if you actually use your television to watch television. If you never watch any television, and you can prove this, you do not have to pay.

We got sent two different bills last year. Apparently we had two addresses in some national database of addresses (I'm surprised its only two) one of which was wrong so they billed us for both.
So if you have an address you get the bill.
It is possible to dodge if you live in a remote enough place (i.e small island, penicula) and can see the inspectors coming. If they even bothered about coming.

I find Channel 5 crap. It might help if I could see the picture. The aerial needs moved.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:59 am
Foetus In Fetu

dreaming_mouse

Two questions
How would you go about proving you never watch any television?
Why would you posses a television if you never used it to watch television?  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 2:09 pm
whapcapn
Foetus In Fetu

dreaming_mouse

Two questions

I'm pretty sure they just automatically asume that you have a television if you have an address. You might not even have the set and they'll try and get you to pay.
Blind people get it free though.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:09 am
whapcapn

You could try claiming that you only use it for DVD/Video. Though for that you'd have to be pretty quick at uninstalling the aerial..  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 2:28 am
Ok, so being a student I can answer this question..

You need to apply for a TV license. It doesn't come automatically but usually people set it on a direct debit so that it does.

TV licening inspectors don't have a legal right to enter your home. You can tell them to go away and they can't do anything about it.

You can claim to use a set for something other than watching TV but you might be skating on thin ice and will probably get a bill anyway.

TV inspectors will usually get bored after 2 visits...especially if you answer the buzzer then run off and hide like my flatmate did.

In spite of all this we do actually have a license in my flat but I think we are one of the only ones in our whole building.  

ficklefiend
Crew

Theta_Sigma

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:17 pm
Doctor Who! Best British TV show ever! Oh, will go and praise my fave TV show in the Doctor Who thread instead!!!  
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 3:22 pm
I've been instructed to watch Body Shock - The Man WHo Ate Himself To Death (or something along those lines) on Monday night, 9pm. I'm not looking foreward to it. Stupid biology class being good I'll probably watch it.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 8:11 am
Not -directly- television but certainly close enough.

I got a DVD of "Do not adjust your set" today for Amazon's DVD rental thingy.

Oh, yes.

xd

Though, some of it -does- scare me.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 2:20 pm
http://www.bbc.co.uk/drama/hustle/

Was anyone else watching Hustle?  

Invictus_88
Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:12 pm
Invictus_88

I do love that programme. I really do, very clever, replaces the jonathan creek shaped hole in my viewing timetable...

..but it clashes with green wing.

NoooooooO!!  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:44 pm
LoS

Nix the aerial.

LoS

For playing videogames, or watching videos and DVDs.

ice_illusion
I'm pretty sure they just automatically asume that you have a television if you have an address. You might not even have the set and they'll try and get you to pay.

Nah, I'm sure they just make mistakes sometimes. Why would they have different rates for black and white versus colour televisions if they were just going to assume everyone owned a colour set?  

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

ficklefiend
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:48 am
Well they routinely send letters round our student flats with things like;
"Dear Tennant,
We are aware that you are using a televsion set and your flat is being monitored*

*If you have a TV license please disregard this."

(Meaning that they clearly know jack s**t about what we have and don't really care either way.)  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 6:50 am
Invictus_88

I watched the first series, but stopped after that. Robert Vaughn was criminally under-used...

DW  

Warnersister

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:37 am
Warnersister
Invictus_88

I watched the first series, but stopped after that. Robert Vaughn was criminally under-used...

DW

Which one was that?

confused

Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out