Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Slapdash phrases and Assumptions in the Pagan Scene Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Aesi

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:21 am
deadmanjake

Well, as I tell people, if someone gives you a "reading" and it sounds like a bunch of fortune telling, and the only evidence they give of who is giving you the message is saying, "the spirit has a grandmother like feeling", then chances are they do not know jack s**t.
Also, if they tell you that your friend who died in a car accident was not an accidental death and you know who is responsible, then chances are, they are money grubbing liars who are only thought of intelligent because they are famous.

*A random item to the first three people who can tell me who I am talking about*

Ooh, ooh. -raises hand- Is it "Crossing Over" with that John Whatever on Sci-Fi Channel?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 11:48 am
Deoridhe
I mean, it would ne NICE if I could apprentice myself to a vitkar and learn basic bindrunes and rune rows that have demonstrated their unambiguity, but I doubt it'll happen. I may end up BEING that person, however, which is very odd.
I think that happens a lot. Having worked for it yourself through blood and tears sometimes means you've experienced more of the brunt of your mistakes than those who've been molly-coddled by a teacher. Knowing your mistakes better leads to a deeper insight into the pitfalls of the path, and having learned through trial and error you can then pass it on confidently to someone else. Sometimes. Some people just weren't made to be teachers.

As for, "when the student is ready the teacher will come," that happened to me once. It lasted about three months before the guy was fired from the shop he worked in and I never saw him again. Nice guy though. He wasn't so much a full-on teacher as someone who pointed me in the right direction and said, "Start walking." wink  

Pelta

Fiddlers Green

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 12:17 pm
When the student is ready...
the teacher will come...

Who ever said the teacher (or student for that matter) had to be a person?  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:14 pm
Fiddlers Green
Who ever said the teacher (or student for that matter) had to be a person?
... Very good point.

And it actually does happen. When my head is primed to learn more, a way usually comes of doing so. You partially create it yourself.  

Pelta

jaden kendam

PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:38 pm
Aesi
deadmanjake

Well, as I tell people, if someone gives you a "reading" and it sounds like a bunch of fortune telling, and the only evidence they give of who is giving you the message is saying, "the spirit has a grandmother like feeling", then chances are they do not know jack s**t.
Also, if they tell you that your friend who died in a car accident was not an accidental death and you know who is responsible, then chances are, they are money grubbing liars who are only thought of intelligent because they are famous.

*A random item to the first three people who can tell me who I am talking about*

Ooh, ooh. -raises hand- Is it "Crossing Over" with that John Whatever on Sci-Fi Channel?

Actually, John Edward is a good medium. It sounds like he is making s**t up, but he is better than the other really famous one that does the above crap.  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 15, 2006 1:58 pm
deadmanjake

Sylvia Brown. whee

missmagpie
Deoridhe
I mean, it would ne NICE if I could apprentice myself to a vitkar and learn basic bindrunes and rune rows that have demonstrated their unambiguity, but I doubt it'll happen. I may end up BEING that person, however, which is very odd.
I think that happens a lot. Having worked for it yourself through blood and tears sometimes means you've experienced more of the brunt of your mistakes than those who've been molly-coddled by a teacher. Knowing your mistakes better leads to a deeper insight into the pitfalls of the path, and having learned through trial and error you can then pass it on confidently to someone else. Sometimes. Some people just weren't made to be teachers.

Heh. Watch me screw my way through a health rune, next. Fertility seems fairly well nailed down.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Dec 16, 2006 7:27 pm
Deoridhe

A bunch of the pagan books and forums I read when I was but an ickle nub said, "When the student is ready, the teacher will come." After being ready for a long while and no teacher coming, I finally gave up. 3nodding

I fully admit to being spoiled rotten. But I do take comfort that with the popularity of other faiths on the rise, that more folks will be raised with educated heathen and pagan families.

.... Now- if we can just keep the idiots from breeding...  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:02 pm
Things that erk me:

Having someone notice Aegishjalmar on my shoulder and saying something along the lines of:
"I'm a Chaos magician too!" or "So your a chaos mage?"

Having someone learn that I'm a Germanic traditionalist and start up with white supremecist garbage and ask if I'm part of or invite me to join the Arian Nation.

Finding out I'm Pagan and asking which Goddess I follow.

Asking why I dont wear a pentacle.

Reprimanding me for breaking the three-fold law or Rede... Regardless of how many times I state I'm not Wiccan.

Reprimanding me with threats of Karma getting me, regardless of how many times I state I dont believe in Karma...

Having a pretentious p***k say something like "May the mother goddess guide you to true enlightenment." As though mine or other deity couldnt.

Having a pretentious p***k say that my patrons are mere facets of their deity.

The assumption that being spiritually enlightened, spiritually healthy or spiritual in general means I have to act like a cracked out hippy whore that loves everything and talks in a spaced out manner with glazed eyes...

People who include "I'm a werewolf, vampire, natural witch" in their introductions.

People who claim to be psychic, then claim your lieing when they fail to read your mind... Which is usually, in my case, "You cracked out little fluff get away from me."

People who try to claim to be HPS/HP, elders, ect... Then when asked for credentials, lineage or proof state that those who really hold those titles have superiority complexes, just want to feel special and its nothing important. But that they still are anyways, and are more deserving...

Individuals who automatically expect me to treat them like a grand sage of a saint just because their older than I am. Or get huffy when I dare to disagree, contradict or question them.

The ones who compliment me in hopes of getting me to side with them. a**-kissers get it worse.

Older Pagans immediately offering guidance and apprenticeship or initiation because I'm "such a bright star with a magnificent future" or some other s**t... While touching on me...

Immediately hugging me when they meet me... Or kissing my cheek...

Telling me I'm evil because I hold patronage under Hela and Fenrir and dont view Loki as unspeakable evil... And have the nerve to point out Odhinn was an oath breaker like its some taboo subject or "that which we do not speak of".

Getting smacked for saying I'm not particularly fond of Freyja... Regardless of Patronage.

Told I'm ignorant for being a hard polytheist.

Thinking that I follow "a left hand path" mearly because I wear unusual styles of darker shades.

Being asked my path, stating Germanic Traditionalist, and getting "Oh! I'm a master rune user and I follow Frigga, I'll teach you all about the Norse Gods and Runes!" ... From an wicca based ecclectic fluff ball. Who immediately states that Fehu represents divination, is "traditionally" associated with yellow and is attributed to such and such sign.... *growls*

Your Sagittarian? We're having a spiritual sex ritual (orgy) next week.... o.0

Your an Ox? Your kind are boring.

hearing "I'm a Celtic Wiccan Warrior... I battle evil for my gods.." from a thirty year old man...

The list goes on. And I'm less and less suprised as the comments and assumptions get worse and worse.  

StrawberryGumiho

StrawberryGumiho

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:08 pm
Oh... Two more:

Being told I'm a traitor to my race and gods because I live with my Korean boyfriend.

Being told to leave a moot invited because I didnt show up in reneissance like garb because I should have known "proper worship attire" or some s**t. That I must not be devote in my faith if I didnt see the importance of showing up looking like a suprisingly clean surf's wife. And then having the nerve to reprimand the individual who invited me for bringing in "blasphemer". -.-"  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:46 pm
Shimegamis_Rage
Having someone learn that I'm a Germanic traditionalist and start up with white supremecist garbage and ask if I'm part of or invite me to join the Arian Nation.
I experienced that once. I mentioned that I was going to visit some Asatru friends and I do wish I had at least made it so they couldn't have children.
Quote:

Finding out I'm Pagan and asking which Goddess I follow.

Asking why I dont wear a pentacle.

Reprimanding me for breaking the three-fold law or Rede... Regardless of how many times I state I'm not Wiccan.
These three amuse me as well. In fact- there was a "Wiccan Picket" of the shop I worked at because I explained I had no intention of following the "Rede". It lasted a day before my boss came down and threatened to have them arrested.
Quote:

Reprimanding me with threats of Karma getting me, regardless of how many times I state I dont believe in Karma...
This one ends with me telling them they have no ******** clue what Karma is, and then my lengthy explination as to Dharma and Karma and telling them that once they have read the Gitas and can quote Krishna, they can come back and lecture me.

Quote:
Having a pretentious p***k say something like "May the mother goddess guide you to true enlightenment." As though mine or other deity couldnt.
I usually wish them a "life altering dance with -insert scary ******** Mother Goddess here-".

Quote:
Having a pretentious p***k say that my patrons are mere facets of their deity.
This one I usually respond with "Ah. Cute. Another Soft Polytheist who ignores Alako's commands to be an Atheist then. Sucks to be you."  

TeaDidikai

Henry Dorsett Case

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 1:33 pm
Oh, let's not forget the whole idea that all of us Pagans are so "open-minded" that we believe every anti-Christian rant and anti-conservative conspiracy theory that's laid out before us, regardless of its factual accuracy or lack thereof. I'm tired of hearing "You're pagan too? Don't you just hate how the Xtians treat us so bad all the time just for screaming 'UNDER GODDESS' during the Pledge of Allegiance?"  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 4:28 pm
Henry Dorsett Case
Oh, let's not forget the whole idea that all of us Pagans are so "open-minded" that we believe every anti-Christian rant and anti-conservative conspiracy theory that's laid out before us, regardless of its factual accuracy or lack thereof. I'm tired of hearing "You're pagan too? Don't you just hate how the Xtians treat us so bad all the time just for screaming 'UNDER GODDESS' during the Pledge of Allegiance?"

There are quite a few members of the NSAC that are republican so the anti-conservative stuff is kind of WRONG....  

jaden kendam

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Battle: Knight 100
  • Survivor 150
  • Tested Practitioner 250
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:23 pm
BlueRoseTorn
The assumption that Asatru = Odin and Freya is very irksome to me. I've met more people who think along those lines than I would like who have liked to.

Who or What is Asatru? I admit ignorance here. Though I do know the names Odin and Freya and have never heard Asatru mentioned with them. From your comment, I suppose that's a good thing!  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:33 pm
missmagpie
Assumptions that everyone else is less advanced than you are.

That pisses me off to no end in certain Pagan circles I attend. There are some people who are just so bloody vocal about how spiritual they are you just want to give them a smack upside the head and tell them to shut up and let the intelligent people speak. Really. Some people are just so loud to make up for a small, self-conscious, insecure person inside.

It gets worse when they think they're such a wonderful spiritual guide that they decide you need their help.

*shudders*
Sounds like extreme evangelicals deciding you must 'be saved' when you are a perfect stranger to them and in public, especialy at work. The worst I've gotten is pamphlets handed to me, but I have a co-worker who got an all out lecture when she finaly told the woman she was athiest. rolleyes

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150

Sir_Catherine

Paladin Knight

32,890 Points
  • Survivor 150
PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2006 6:38 pm
TeaDidikai
Aesi

I can't tell the difference between someone who can actually "see" and someone who can't. The people who made the statements above may have been genuine.

Two words to live by when dealing in the Pagan Scene- "Test Them." wink

How? Please give expamles/advice!  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas