Reply The Music Artists Guild
how did you get started? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Just Before An Eclipse

PostPosted: Mon Feb 09, 2009 9:49 am
My brother is 5 years older than me. And, just before 6th grade (when band starts in my school) my mother decided to have him start music lessons so he could have a strong basis. And since, it would have been unfair for me to not get to play an instrument too, I got to start as well. I desperately wanted to play flute, but a technician told me that my fingers were too short (even now as a senior, small marching band gloves are still slightly big for me) so I had to start on the clarinet (which still doesn't make much sense to me....)

In the middle of freshmen year, I moved to the Boonies. And the band program isn't as advanced as it was in northern Virginia. So I was bored. My solution was to join jazz band as a tenor saxophone. ((All of the flutes are in jazz band...as other instruments of course.)) Later on, the band got the oboe back and I took it home to attempt to teach myself at it. I'm okay at it...sometimes, but right now, I have a plastic reed and sound terrible.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:23 pm
i started piano at age 6. i skipped levels 1 and 3. my first teacher was a tyrant, but her students are music prodigies (almost). see, you know how the pinky finger is weakest? when mine wouldnt play loud enough she took it and banged it on the keys. i was 6-10-ish years old and i cried every single lesson. we switched teachers :]

the next teacher had good individual talent, but she was too soft, therefore her students all...suck. we switched after a year

my current teacher is pretty good, shes nice and talented. the only problem is that she talks a lot. but at least she stays on topic -_-;

im pretty happy with my current status. biggrin  

x healing rain x

Kaibi-kun

PostPosted: Sun Feb 22, 2009 10:26 pm
Since kindergarten, I was playing with a small keyboard, 22 keys I believe, and my mom bought me this book with all the children's songs in it since I wanted to learn how to play. Years later I came back to America from Canada and found my way to private teaching lessons in 5th grade for a good four years. After that, I started teaching myself one song on the piano and it happened to be my friend's favorite song.

From that day forward, I was inspired to play music for my friends. biggrin  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:09 pm
I've always loved to sing! So I have always been a singer. With the violin I had wanted one since a holiday on which I got a toy violin. I thought that the violin was the coolest thing in the world and desperatly wnated to learn to play a real violin. From there of course I went and joined violin classes as soon as they were available for me in middle school. YAY VIOLIN! YAY SINGING!  

enchantress of lightning

AoibhealDragonheart

Fashionable Prophet

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 12:08 pm
I've been singing sing as long as I can remember. I've been told I'm pretty good but then again I've been told I'm not. I guess it just has to do with preference.

Since I was in the Fifth grade I played Alto Sax in the school band but I gave that up in grade seven to enhance my writing.

When I gave up band that's when I started actually trying to write better songs and try to train my voice(?). I had always had a love for music (singing and song writing) but it mostly began to show that year.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 13, 2009 5:47 pm
I actually uh... loved singing as a little kid. Got into a band as the squeaky clarinet in 4th grade. Ended up quitting it in 5th. But even during that I still loved to play my keyboard and wanted a guitar really bad. Now I'm playing my clarinet again and actually got a little trumpet action too. (And I got that guitar I wanted).  

LunarSupernovan_Yuna

No Winner

33,650 Points
  • That One Hero 500
  • 10000 High Score 300
  • Magical Girl 50

Morning Elegance

Noble Muse

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:32 pm
User Image
I've been singing for as long as I can remember- I've been in a bunch of musicals/choirs, and really, it's just a fun pastime. I'm not the best I've ever heard, but I don't think I'm half bad.

As for piano, when I was 6, my parents decided to stick me in piano lessons, since I liked music/singing so much. They thought I'd stick in it a year or two, and drop it when I got bored (I was like that as a kid), but to their surprise, I loved it right away. I was actually good at it. Here I am, about 10 years later, still playing and taking lessons and performing.

I took up Clarinet in 5th grade, because I wanted to play an instrument in the school "band" (but piano wasn't an option). I liked clarinet because my mom still had her old one, and she had played in high school. I played that through 8th grade, and then quit because I didn't have time to take band in high school. *Tears* My poor clarinet is probably so sad...

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:52 pm
I've been singing for all my life. I play some instruments too and those I know how to play from school bands and just having access to them. blaugh 4laugh heart

Vocals- all my life
cello- in gr.5 in a strings program
piano- always just been fiddling with it
ukulele- school program
drum- just had access to it
pan flute- just got one for the fun of it
recorder- school program in gr.4
fife- got one and just worked at it
flute-I started to learn in a school program then i moved so I only know a bit
harmonica- have access to one so I play off and on
and counting...

rofl  

jump2020206

Hippeh Panda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:19 pm
I have an older sister, and for most of our lives we managed to divide the more creative things evenly... until of course in the 5th grade the started offering choir to the elementary school. She spent several years telling me I sang like rubbish, which I'm grateful for now.

honestly if it hadn't been for my mean older sister I wouldn't have ever been driven to better myself.  
PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:03 am
since i was younger i always was singing but not alot but wen i hit 6th grade i just fell in love with it  

mr_phresh_singer

4,300 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Person of Interest 200

xG h o s t O f R o x y

PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:21 am
I've been singing ever since I could literally talk/sing. I first sang "She's Got The Jack" by AC/DC when I was about 3 or 4.
Ever since then, I've been singing. whee
Then I became fascinated by the career: musician.
A few friends and myself decided to form a band. We have plenty of practice to do. xd
As you can imagine, ahah I'm the Vocalist of the band. wink  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 28, 2009 5:41 pm
I've been a music junkie since birth, but what got me started that I can remember is when I joined the school's beginner orchestra in fourth grade.  

zeula

Madame Catastrophe

Dapper Dabbler

8,400 Points
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Explorer 100
  • Contributor 150
PostPosted: Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:38 am
Know what Scat or Doo-Wop is?
The same thing, yes, but also how I became a musician!

My long term memory SUCKED when I was little...I had trouble singing a long to songs other kids knew by heart, because I couldn't recall the tune or the words! To help myself remember I started to SCAT the songs, and I very quickly began scatting any tune I could hear on the radio,CD player or Tele.
Scat is where you say nonsensical noises like "doo blah ha" etc. I would begin scatting the tune or words ( what little I could recall) and then just make it up as I went. From there I traveled my sounds on the family keyboard, my guitars, and then finally my trumpet and voice and composing programs.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 5:04 pm
I started playing guitar when i was a wee laddie.....lol
Like really!! young can't even remember what age.
I was an only child so I had to amuse myself some how cry

I still remember my parents bought me this cheap crappy mickey mouse guitar lol It was small and had plastic strings but It played and made some Interesting sounds.

I used to sing as well and pretend that i was a rock star. redface

It wasn't till I was 12 years old when my old man bought me my first real! guitar.

My Yamaha Acoustic.
xd

To this day I still own It and It still sounds amazing!

I'm now 27 and I still play, But I've been doing a lot of singing and practicing on my voice for the last 3 years.

I will never stop playing EVER!!!!! It's just a big part of my life.
It makes me who I am today.  

Paul Scags

250 Points
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50

Helena Rose-Thorne

PostPosted: Wed Sep 09, 2009 6:41 pm
I started because my brother played guitar, so i picked it up. I started singing when i was randomly put into choir in 6th grade and loved it :]  
The Music Artists Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff