Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
An Slí Gaeleach Céad 's a hAon (Phase one done, please pos Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:33 pm
So I have a strange question about this odd little point of cultural overlap.

You know me, and you know my husband. And you're my priest, and a Gael.

There is this strange little place where the culture of the Gael and the culture of the Rroma overlap.

Horse Brasses are decorations, but they are also talismans.

I have come across a horse brass, that is a Claddagh.

Can you explain the history, symbolism and relevance to the spiritual traditions of the Gael that the Claddagh holds, and let me know if me giving this to hubby as a present (because we both treasure the tradition of the horse brass) would be appropriate or not based on our heritage and relation to the Gael?  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 8:26 am
The Claddagh is Irish, alright, but it's cultural history isn't.
They only came into existence in the 17th Century but are based on earlier designs which aren't exclusively Irish, let alone of the Gael.
You're in the clear.
The problem I have with people handing them out willy nilly is their meaning. "In your hands you hold my heart". In this instance, I don't see a problem.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:09 am
CuAnnan
The Claddagh is Irish, alright, but it's cultural history isn't.
They only came into existence in the 17th Century but are based on earlier designs which aren't exclusively Irish, let alone of the Gael.
You're in the clear.
The problem I have with people handing them out willy nilly is their meaning. "In your hands you hold my heart". In this instance, I don't see a problem.
Spiff, thanks!  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 26, 2009 9:44 am
HAI, CU, I HAS A QUESTIONNE.
Seeing as you're so knowledgeable about things Celtic, I wondered if you've ever come across a book I have in my possession, it's titled "By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism" and is by D.J. Conway.

biggrin I'd love to get your thoughts on the matter.  

Gho the Girl

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 10:50 pm
By the by, while I did frame my question in a sort of OMGLOLLERCOPTER manner, I do have some honest curiousity.

I don't know if you just haven't seen my question or if you thought I was trying to be humourous and not actually posing a question, but I just wanted it to be clear that while I was trying to include a good amount of levity, I was actually asking.

ninja *goes back to waiting*  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:53 pm
Gho the Girl
Seeing as you're so knowledgeable about things Celtic, I wondered if you've ever come across a book I have in my possession, it's titled "By Oak, Ash, & Thorn: Modern Celtic Shamanism" and is by D.J. Conway.

I have not. Though I have not heard good things abou ti.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:42 pm
CuAnnan
Gho the Girl

I have not. Though I have not heard good things abou ti.
Well, considering it rapes at least two cultures in it's title, I'm wary as well, just wondering if you had something more definitive than my gut reaction.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff