Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Witches Weekly--Updated July 15th, seriously. -- old topic Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Oktapous

PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 1:47 pm
Nuri
September 11, 2004
Mentoring Youths

At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals?

How would you determine if someone was mature enough to mentor?

What qualities in a student would prevent you from mentoring them?

1. I really have to say it depends on the person's attitude and behavior. If they are immature and don't follow the guide lines given to them (recklessly, I mean) then they shouldn't do a ritual/witchcraft alone. I guess since I'm a soliatary pagan I've been able to practice by myself for quite awhile.

2. Oh my...a tricky little question. Again, I say it depends on their maturity and over-all knowledge of what they are teaching.

3. Ah. I would say if they were arrogant (thinking that being a pagan makes them better than others is something I despise), unwilling to listen, and disrespectful then I wouldn't even consider them.

Wonderful questions, Nuri.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 12, 2004 2:15 pm
At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals? Whenever they've proven that they understand the concepts of the religion and can handle spells/rituals and the responsibilities that will ensue.

How would you determine if someone was mature enough to mentor? If they're open-minded, ready to learn, and strong enough to form their own opinion but wise enough to be willing to change it.

What qualities in a student would prevent you from mentoring them? Assuming that what they've read/seen/experienced are the only possible ideas EVER, mocking this or other religions, not taking it seriously.  

Elendraug

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 12:00 pm
Nuri
September 11, 2004
Mentoring Youths

At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals?

Well as far as age goes, I really think its more of a question of maturity and understanding. I think if a person understands what they are doing, and is very comfortable with their beliefs and their faith then they are probably ready to practice by themselves, although I do like group rituals and events, mainly because I like the sense of community and I'm more drawn to working with someone than not.

One of the first things I think any good mentor knows is that they don't know everything and they are open to listening to other concepts as well. I think its important to instill a flexibilty and acceptance for different views into a mentee. Another thing a good mentor knows is that while his or her style works for him or her, it my not work for his or her mentee. It is important to explain basics, but it is also important to explain that everyone does things differently and understands concepts in a different way. So while historical facts are not up for debate, how and what one eventually chooses to worship within paganism, or any religion is up to that particular person, after they have heard and understood the bare bone basics.

I think if a student was obstinate or had a closed mind, they would be difficult or impossible to teach. The only other problme I can see is if the person refused to learn or didn't want to listen, but beyond that I think any person could be a student, and even very wise people have things to learn. Me, there's no hiding, I'm just at the beginning of my spiritual journey and I have a lot to learn and a lot to listen too, but I know that and I'm proceed as such with and open mind and heart. ^_^  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 8:52 am
1. At what age do you feel it's appropriate for a young person to begin performing witchcraft on their own (I.E. without guidance), and why? What about rituals?

I think that if I know the person in a personal setting, its very subjective. An 8 year old could have the personal responsibility, but then again a 30 year old may not have reached it.

On the whole, I'm at the 15-18 range. Generally, its when people start to understand that there are consequences in life for actions.

2. How would you determine if someone was mature enough to mentor?

How they act towards elders, how they think about the Gods. Their personality. I'm a flighty person...except when it comes to my religion and schoolwork. I think a person will show themselves and it comes through with how they view others, how they view school if they are younger.

3. What qualities in a student would prevent you from mentoring them?
I've mentored people who have drastically different views than my own. Even as a Hellenic, I've mentored Wiccans as they first start. Mostly, my biggest thing is how they approach the Gods. If they don't see things with some degree of Hard Polytheism, I won't mentor.
I also won't mentor someone who doesn't want to read. Mysticism is wonderful, but it doesn't replace the words. Nor someone who is only into witchcraft. I don't do that. I understand the basics and am actually decent at it, but I don't practice it.  

maenad nuri
Captain

Princess_Lilica_Drakal

Beloved Lunatic

8,165 Points
  • Citizen 200
  • Somebody Likes You 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 12:21 pm
Mentoring Youths

Well It depends On ones maturity level, Skill, partace

well thats hard to say I gues they souldnt anger easlly and Have lot Of wisdom to deal with difficalt situations

when they dont seem instresed in what you are teaching them. when they are rude to you and about what you are teaching them  
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2004 9:15 pm
September 18, 2004
The Environment

Your single best environmental tip.

How do you justify (to yourself) your use of things that you believe are
bad for the environment (coal, oil, gasoline, etc)?

What one thing would you be willing to give up (or reduce consumption of
drastically) to improve the global environment?

What one thing wouldn't you give up?

maenad nuri
Captain

Skatche

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 9:04 am
Cars suck. Ride bicycles and public transit wherever possible. Motorcycles and scooters are good too, as they generate minimal emission, but are almost useless for holding anything beside the driver; so if you need a car, get one of those gas/electric hybrids that charge their batteries whenever you brake.

If everyone did this, there would be a lot less air pollution.

How do you justify (to yourself) your use of things that you believe are bad for the environment (coal, oil, gasoline, etc)?
I simply recognize that we're very near to having feasible fusion power. At that point, I'll do whatever I can to support the companies that use it.

What one thing would you be willing to give up (or reduce consumption of drastically) to improve the global environment?
Styrofoam cups. I would be lugging a mug around campus right now except I keep forgetting to bring it with me. x_x

The computer. I know I'm using a fair bit of electricity, but I am a total geek. Besides, it keeps me in touch with friends who live far away.  
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 12:19 pm
Nuri
September 18, 2004
The Environment

Best tip? Be respectful. Don't use it if you don't need it.

I use very little--- gas to get to school and auditions, and I live close to both... and when at home I rarely use energy--- I turn the lights on only when I can't see anything, I layer clothes (though that one's because my family can be hot at -29 degrees while I'm cold at 97 degrees), I usually only use 2 hrs of computer and watch tv or listen to the stereo at the same time... So, I figure I use a lot less than everyone else, and I conserve as much as possible.

I could give up tv and music and computer, truthfully.... I'd miss it but can survive without it.

I need the transportation though, cause its too far to walk to school and Theatre Bristol...  

Faerie-Ishee

Shameless Fairy

9,500 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Full closet 200

napoleone

PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2004 4:20 pm
Nuri
September 11, 2004
Mentoring Youths

Many witches begin their practice on their own in their teens. I would say, let them being when they wish it. Magic can, and will guide them through lessons of its own devise.

Quote:

A hard question, and I do not think it is about maturity, but about knowledge and their ability to teach that knowledge to others. How to determine it I don't know.

Quote:

A quality of viciousness would. I would never hand a gun to a child who would use it. Nor would I hand magick or knowledge to back up that magick to a child who would use it for harm.  
PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 1:23 pm
Nuri
September 18, 2004
The Environment

Tip: Recycle when you go to college, I know you might be on the top floor and the recycling bin is all the way down in the lounge and you have all this paper and cans and stuff to drag down there, but just do it. Don't throw that stuff out, man be less lazy, come on really.....Sorry my tangent of the week.

I don't really justify it to myself. I acknowledge that what I'm doing IS bad for the environment, and I guess I just accept the fact that right now there doesn't seem any way to not hurt the environment and try to do it as little as possible.

Paper plates, I'd give all dispospable food containers.

Internet and computers in general.  

blindfaith^_^

7,200 Points
  • Popular Thread 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200

Jameta

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 6:33 pm
Quote:

September 18, 2004
The Environment

1.) Ummm... recycle. sweatdrop That was lame.

2.) Unfortuantely, I cannot justify it fully- I have to use a gas powered car, as my parents won't buy a new car (I want the hybrid Honda Civic, but there's no way my dad's dishing out $20,000). Beyond that... I guess it would be because it's hard to break away from what the rest of society is doing.

3.) Driving, mainly as I don't really like to- I prefer walking or being driven, so I could take the bus if neccessary.

4.) ...Couldn't tell ya'. I'm pretty easy going, and I can't really think of anything. xp  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 26, 2004 10:34 am
Nuri
Each week, I will post the new questions from Witches Weekly here, and I invite you all to answer them.

September 18, 2004
The Environment

I have this thing where i wanna not eat meat . I dont eat fish and cow. I keep going back and forth I just cant keep myself from eating meat haha. I guess that is one thing that would help the animals If one more person stopped eating them. But could i give it up? thats a melon scratcher. I guess I could it i really worked at it.
One other thing is i wanna do more volenteer work. I need hours for school anyway but i wanna do it lol. I think i need to use my planner more offten haha.
One thing i couldn't give up is..well idonno maybe i guess electrisaty? lol  

Red_Dragon000

Elendraug

PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 8:25 pm

Only use one paper towel to dry your hands (or just wipe your hands on your pants/shirt) when in public bathrooms. It sickens me how many people yank out three or more pieces and do nothing more than crumple them up and throw them away.

I don't have a car (yet), and I plan to buy a hybrid to cut back on gasoline usage. This helps the environment and me.

What one thing would you be willing to give up (or reduce consumption of drastically) to improve the global environment?

Does convincing people to recycle plastic soda bottles count? I also order recycled toilet paper, "sanitary napkins," and other similar items.

Electricity.  
PostPosted: Mon Sep 27, 2004 9:00 pm
Double post. *kicks irritable servers*  

Elendraug

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:27 pm
September 25, 2004

I'm not usually big on dreams, but these were thought up by a friend of mine:

Do you believe dreams are ever symbolic?

How do you interpret dreams? Do you feel some are scenes from past lives? Future premonitons? Hidden thoughts and feelings?

What do you feel was your most symbolic/meaningful dream?

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff