Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

do you think amy lee is a gothic?
  yes
  no
View Results

SpaceyZimmy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 10:45 am
Shes a gorgeous woman with a talent for singing. I don't care if shes goth or not. Why try to label her?  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:44 am
SpaceyZimmy
I don't care if shes goth or not. Why try to label her?

How famous people are labelled in relation to the goth culture largely affects the goth culture itself.

Let's say a mass-murderer calls himself a goth. He looks the part, he plays on the stereotypes visually and thematically. Does it individually affect us that he calls himself a goth? No, but his statements may sway people to believe that goths are violent.

Similarly, let's say a famous peace-advocate calls himself a goth. He looks the part, he fills in many stereotypes visually and thematically. Does it individually affect us that he calls himself a goth? No, but his statements may sway people to believe that goths are non-violent.

Point being:

Famous people and their relation to goth will sway public opinion on the goth culture, and in turn, indirectly affect how we are treated and thought of.  

GilAskan
Crew

misunderstood_001

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 3:37 pm
More like a classic rock chick if you ask me. Atleast if you compeare to people around here. Most 16 year olds that are listening to metalica looks like here and adores here.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 11:54 pm
thndercats
More like a classic rock chick if you ask me. Atleast if you compeare to people around here. Most 16 year olds that are listening to metalica looks like here and adores here.
She doesn't look like a classic rock chick, I mean where are the leather mini skirts? the torn and WAY too tight band tee? the big blond perm?

Heres a rock chick... a classic rock chick
User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.
Ala Priss from the original Bubblegum Crisis (not Crash, or 2040).  

Rellik San
Crew

misunderstood_001

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:34 am
Classic rock chick, not a poudle razz Thats a differens.
Tickt jeans, striped things, long black hair... As i said, like almost every kid over here.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 11:17 am
MortSanglant
I don't really care. But what I hate is the people that say Nightwish copied Evanescence. That really ticks me off.
What? Hasn't Nightwish been around longer?  

Lord Charlemain Richards

Thirteenth Lover

12,825 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • SpoOOokie Cookie Camp Treat Hunter 50
  • Haunted Haute Couture: Vintage 200

Rellik San
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 12:49 pm
thndercats
Tickt jeans, striped things, long black hair... As i said, like almost every kid over here.
That is classic rock chick, seriously, look at all the 80's music video's and you'll see I'm right. D:  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 1:24 pm
Rellik San
thndercats
That is classic rock chick, seriously, look at all the 80's music video's and you'll see I'm right. D:

I didnt mean classing in that meaning. i mean what they usualy looks like now days,

Lord Charlemain Richards:
sins 96  

misunderstood_001

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 4:08 pm
Lord Charlemain Richards
MortSanglant
I don't really care. But what I hate is the people that say Nightwish copied Evanescence. That really ticks me off.
What? Hasn't Nightwish been around longer?

Yes, as have the Offering, Lacuna Coil, and Within Temptation, not to mention the groups who all appeared at roughly the same time as Evanescence, such as Epica, After Forever, or Rain Fell Within.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2007 6:03 pm
thndercats
Rellik San
thndercats

I didnt mean classing in that meaning. i mean what they usualy looks like now days,

Lord Charlemain Richards:
sins 96

Then its not classic rock chick, more pseudo rock chick, what it is now, is so loosely based on about 5 different styles its hard to pigeon hole as one thing, its punk/rock/goth/new wave/pop all rolled into one. Making more of a pseudo style then an actual evolution or modern interpretation of any one style.  

Rellik San
Crew

Ether-Eating Eskimo

PostPosted: Sat Apr 21, 2007 9:23 pm
Everybody's saying they don't like her because she's "poser goth" and everything, but she SAID SHE WASN'T GOTH. She's not claiming or posing. She's just making music.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 11:55 am
I'm not sure if she is Goth. But she sure adopts a Goth look. Well... her music isn't that goth anyways.  

Gothic Muffin of Doom

Dangerous Vampire

10,850 Points
  • Forum Regular 100
  • Brandisher 100
  • Beta Citizen 0

GilAskan
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 4:56 pm
I Want Discipline
Everybody's saying they don't like her because she's "poser goth" and everything, but she SAID SHE WASN'T GOTH. She's not claiming or posing. She's just making music.

Though I can't find a link, someone once told me that she referred to herself and her music as goth in 2001... only to later deny it.

Similarly, early in Evanescence's career, she stated quite plainly that the band was purely Christian and all about spreading Christianity through music. Only to later say that the band was never Christian.  
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:17 pm
Can you say commercialization? Awful.

perrenthezombie

Music - Related Topics

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out