Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Yaoi on MTV...Sort Of Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you think introducing Yaoi to the mainstream is good or bad?
  Good
  Bad
  Other
View Results

mistress of yaoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 17, 2006 12:11 am
I dont see this exposure as a bad thing, nowe people may stop calling me immature for still reading manga and watching anime (yes the are still dumb people out there who still have the steriotypical idea that all anime is kiddy stuff)  
PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 8:23 pm
Tried to watch the video, but Jay-Z popped up, and I closed the window. @_@ I think the link's old.  

Fin Raziel

Pie_Junkie

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:35 pm
I could care less if it goes mainstream tho to tell ya the truth it already is. Just not MTV, they ruin so much.  
PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 8:03 pm
I think it is good that we are finally getting out asses out there and not being stuck in the closet!  

bowwow777

protecterofelements

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2008 10:25 am
i think its a good idea it can have some positive feedback  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 3:12 pm
lol  

- A y u C h u -

5,900 Points
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Consumer 0

Ealdwic

2,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:35 am
Yaoi, shounen-ai, yuri, shota... Honestly, if any of those became 'mainstream', I'd probably stop appreciating it or liking it altogether.

See, when things get hype, and then things get popular, a lot of the people who were part of that thing gets irritated at all the attention, and because it becomes so popular and upright, people lose interest and move on. It might be that everyone wants to be individual and not alike others, but I know that if ALL I saw was yaoi on TV, in my books, on posters, etc., I would get bored of it, and I would move onto things people don't know enough about to publicize and trendify. The first thing people think is, "I wish this stuff was more a demand from people - then it'd be so easy to obtain and I could be so happy with much of it!" But that usually backfires, and you end up having too much of a good thing and you begin to hate it.

Not only that, but there are still MANY close-minded people in the world, and I'd rather pick up a yaoi or a yuri and read it in peace than have random people come up to me and try to strike a conversation up about it. I'd rather be left alone than called out for reading yaoi or getting day-to-day people suddenly interested in it JUST because it's popular, become a trend and it's something they want to try out. Part of the fun of yaoi/yuri or whatever for me is the thrill of reading-- ALL books do this to me, manga or simple novel --and if yaoi became an everyday read, I'd feel that they weren't buying the stuff to simply enjoy it.

I love yaoi. Don't get me wrong. And I'm excited if more people were to give it a try and come to love it like I have. I like it a lot - not just for its art, or its characters, but some of the storylines I've come across are just so mistifying and GORGEOUS - so very worth exploring, that it melts my heart. Yuri, too, although yuri seems to have less depth and purpose to it other than visually pleasing its readers.

Personally speaking, shounen-ai and yaoi is just as beautiful as any shojo manga. It can be just as deep (sometimes deeper), just as pretty, just as wonderfully-illustrated, or even just as bad as any other manga. It depends on what you're looking for in a book-- story, characters, art style --and I think it shouldn't be any more popular or obvious to people as normal manga is. I would feel pretty disappointed if everyone wanted to read boy-love and no one wanted to read normal manga. If people can't buy yaoi out of their own discovery of curiosity, I feel that the true meaning behind the story and why the author and manga-ka artist created it will be lost.

It just seems to me that over-hype and more attention will cause us faithful readers more trauma and explanation than we're willing to experience and participate in. I'd rather squee over manga with my dorky friends than watch the entire school or the entire city read manga solely to, once again with another trend, 'fit in'. I LIKE manga being 'uncool'. Suits ME just fiiine~. < <''

Lastly... if yaoi manga-kas and authors WERE to attempt an introduction of yaoi to people who do not know of it.. I wouldn't have done it using MTV. Not only do I NEVER watch that channel unless foreign programs are on, or for specific concerts from my favorite artists are on, but I think it's a station run through with celebrity bullshit/'fun-facts', more celebrity crap that I don't care about, sex, greedy retards and useless, unnecessary programming, and overall unnappealing, brainless TV shows. In America and Canada, anyhow, it seems that way. I can only really appreciate MTV outside of the Americas... for my personal tastes, though. I don't care if you like MTV~. It just sucks SOO bad, here. xD; And for all the people who watch it, I know about 50 who don't even blink at it. Much Music is bigger around these parts, and to me, that channel's even worse..

I'd still rather not yaoi or anything relating to manga/anime become abused on such a channel. I'd rather find out about manga on my own. Besides... it's MUSIC TV. I can understand gay artists singing and having a yaoi-ish video, but manga and anime don't really have a part in that unless a vid or something has anime-styled themes/animation/etc. Maybe a bit of an introduction wouldn't be so bad, though. Like a show run by a manga producing company that tells us what mangas just came out, what's a good read, what's coming out, dates, etc... but I'd rather it be geared towards ALL manga and not just one category. :3

So yeah, it'd be cool to see yaoi or any manga get more popular... But not that way. I like reading my manga alone and without stupid retards interested in it. lolz

Sorry I rambled. Good discussion!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:12 am
tsuxx

Yuri, too, although yuri seems to have less depth and purpose to it other than visually pleasing its readers.

I highly disagree. Most Yuri anime/manga I've seen or watched have had much deeper plot than any Yaoi to be completely honest. Take Revolutionary Girl Utena for example, that anime/manga is probably one of the most complex and in depth shows out there. And yes, it is a Yuri series.

I actually think opposite of what you believe; I think most of the times Yaoi has less depth and has the sole purpose of being 'easy on the eye', especially for female viewers/readers. Don't get me wrong, I like Yaoi a lot; why else would I be here? But like any good viewer/reader, I can accept its flaws as well as its beauty.

Other than that, I completely agree with your comment. If Yaoi became mainstream, it would lose its appeal to many. It's the whole 'it is special sort of romance' that attract people to it in the first place; hasn't the whole concept of forbidden love always been attractive to people, despite how cliched it is?

And since I cannot stand MTV, I'd probably cry my eyes out if any Yaoi, or Yuri for that matter, ended up there. Oh the horror! lol

Anyways, agree to disagree, right? smile I loved your view on the whole case and felt that I had to reply back to such an intelligent and in depth comment.  

sjdfnkwnf

Ealdwic

2,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:13 pm
Yuudai Sasaki
tsuxx

Yuri, too, although yuri seems to have less depth and purpose to it other than visually pleasing its readers.

I highly disagree. Most Yuri anime/manga I've seen or watched have had much deeper plot than any Yaoi to be completely honest. Take Revolutionary Girl Utena for example, that anime/manga is probably one of the most complex and in depth shows out there. And yes, it is a Yuri series.

I actually think opposite of what you believe; I think most of the times Yaoi has less depth and has the sole purpose of being 'easy on the eye', especially for female viewers/readers. Don't get me wrong, I like Yaoi a lot; why else would I be here? But like any good viewer/reader, I can accept its flaws as well as its beauty.

Other than that, I completely agree with your comment. If Yaoi became mainstream, it would lose its appeal to many. It's the whole 'it is special sort of romance' that attract people to it in the first place; hasn't the whole concept of forbidden love always been attractive to people, despite how cliched it is?

And since I cannot stand MTV, I'd probably cry my eyes out if any Yaoi, or Yuri for that matter, ended up there. Oh the horror! lol

Anyways, agree to disagree, right? smile I loved your view on the whole case and felt that I had to reply back to such an intelligent and in depth comment.

Really? Then you've had more luck than I have. I have yet to find any Yuri that's really satisfying in art and plot. > <' I've wanted to give Revolutionary Girl Utena a try for quite awhile, but sadly, it's very rare around the parts where I live, and anytime I've searched I've come up empty-handed. I've had no luck in finding any decent Yuri manga at all, except for one title that I didn't like so much due to the art.
(I'm too picky, maybe..)

I agree with you that Yaoi has its over-zealous fans, and I know a lot of people who read it solely for the smutty parts or the attractive characters or some other reason, but I also have about 5 friends who appreciate it for its depth and plot like I do, as well as the pretty art. All of the stories I've read and liked have been EXTREMELY gorgeous and deep, and I am so glad I picked them up when I did. Innocent Bird, Only The Ring Finger Knows, Takumi-kun, Solfege... a few that made me like Yaoi and appreciate it.

I guess I just find it so much more fulfilling, but again, that's most likely because I can't find any Yuri around here and I've only been able to base my opinion off of Yuri-lovers on the internet (which, half the time, have scared me with their insane fangirl/boy comments) and the few people I've met around my city who enjoy it are male and enjoy it for the nudity. It just seems that a lot of the people who like Yuri like it for the wrong reasons. I still want to get into it as much as Yaoi. I just find it harder to do so because of how available or well-known it seems here, and the whole stereotype behind it that it's only good for the "female-on-female fan-service" guys seem to get from it. I should stop listening to that opinion, perhaps, because all it does is piss me off.

Yaoi, too, though, as you said. Both have those downfalls. I would've elaborated on the Yaoi/Yuri popularity and 'reasons for' thing more in my first post, but I felt I would've been straying off-topic in regards to the question the thread-starter asked. Lol

Exactly. If it became mainstream, it'd be seen as just another trend or thing to get into, and it just totally ruins the purpose for me. And yes, the concept is taboo still to many people out there, and so, it's something people will get into because it's attractive and dangerous to like. I just hope that, if/when that happens and Yaoi were to become a 'thing' to people, they find something more to it than just the thrill of reading it because they were told to read it, or reading it to feel cool.

Yes. xDD; MTV is pretty horrible. That and Much Music. I turn them on for foreign programs like when Live Earth Japan/China was airing on that channel... and I've caught the odd good song once or twice while flicking. Otherwise, I think it would be a total loss to introduce Yaoi/Yuri or anything like it on there. I'd feel so angry if it made it big on that channel; It seems so wrong to put it there because of how polluted with crap that station is, and I want people to like that type of manga one their own and not because it's 'new and trendy!'.

Thank-you for replying, though, and in such a nice way. I was thinking I'd either be flamed for babbling too much, or I'd be ignored completely. ^ ^'' It's nice to know there's intelligent life out there that can take interest in my unorganized thinking. .-.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 4:03 am
You've had even more luck than I; when I find Yaoi it's usually just made as a, for lack of better descriptions, 'drool-fest' for its female fans. I especially dislike the whole concept of Uke/Seme relationships and I mean it gives homosexual men a bad name. Luckily, there are exceptions out there such as Scandal Kiss. I will however try some of the ones you suggested, such as Innocent Bird. smile

Yuri was and is actually made for women by women, so I cannot help but find it ironic when I talk to a male fan who only appreciates sexual situations between the girls. That really gives us a bad name. Personally, I prefer to have depth and interesting characters in themselves, than just pure hentai. confused I've actually never watched any hentai when I think about it...

If you try Revolutionary Girl Utena, Simoun or Maria-sama Ga Mitseru, you won't regret it. They're really wonderful.

Mainstream series or genres usually 'turns me off' and I consider myself one of the very few who don't fancy Naruto. (Got nothing against the calm and kind fans of the series however, but I rarely meet them.)

I never watch any music channel. When I sit in front of my television, I usually watch History Channel, Discovery or something of the like, and I cannot picture Yaoi being one of those channels! lol

Same to you. I don't see a reason to hate or bash someone for their opinions if their opinions aren't completely mental i.e they're sexist, racist or discriminative in any way. Especially, when you comment in an intelligent manner yourself. smile  

sjdfnkwnf

Ealdwic

2,300 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Member 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 11:59 am
That's extremely true, unfortunately. A LOT of females read it for the sole purpose of the art and all the drool-worthy bits. I like to think it's deeper than that, though, and truly... I've found some GREAT ones. Not all of them were that deep, but the ones that made me like Yaoi will forever be appreciated. Unfortunately, a lot of Yaoi fans don't like Yaoi because of the storyline, which makes me really sad. > <' It seems to be for the risque parts. I think people like that are somewhat shallow if that's all they see in it.
And I shall have to try Scandal Kiss. It sounds promising. :3

Yeah, that's how I see it, too. Being a lesbian, when I think of Yuri, I want to think of material that woman can read and relate to-- or just appreciate the depth and meaning to --in a manga, and like it for all the reasons they might like any other book. Even men could like it and appreciate it for what's beyond the art. But then I get guys like the one I mentioned before who like it solely for the 'Hentai factor', and I get completely turned off at the idea of reading it. I find it SO offensive that people say that that's ALL Yuri is about. But, sadly, for the ones I've found on Comic shelves while browsing, it's somewhat true. I'll DEFINITELY take into suggestion the ones you mentioned, though; I'll even special-order them if I have to. ^ ^' I'd like to give Yuri a chance, because I think it could be really great and that I'm missing something very wonderful. And is Maria-sama Ga Mitseru an anime? I think my cousin and I were planning to watch that sometime soon.

I agree about mainstream genres as well. *shudder* Naruto is one that makes me want to scratch eyeballs out. It's so popular that it's EVERYWHERE. I've met one... possibly up to three people who are avid fans and can remain calm about it, but those people are few and far in-between. Bleach also kind of makes me grimace. It's getting up there in popularity, and A LOT of people have cos-played it at cons I've been to. ._. It just makes me shy away from it. I DO like one considered popular series, though... and that's Tsubasa Chronicle. I've followed it since volume 1 and loved it since then, too, so I consider it out of my hands for how crazily-popular it's gotten, but I can't seem to stop reading it. xp I love it too dearly to part from it.

And that is awesome. :0 We just recently got better cable here, so I'm practically GLUED to the Discovery channel. Mythbusters. <3 And I think I might seriously have a heart attack if Yaoi appeared on there. xDD I would be REALLY confused. But yeah, I'd rather buy CDs/import them than watch music channels. If I want to see a specific music video, I check Stage6.com or YouTube (although YouTube bothers me, too). I really dislike MTV and Much Music. Even Much More Music doesn't strike me as anything special. Most of it is all crap and sexual material that I would rather NOT subject myself to, thank-you very much.

Yay for intelligence~. It's so refreshing to have a conversation like this and not receive some really moronic replies back. * *' I'm so used to being considered a jerk when I post like this, due to length and rambling and the fact that no one usually reads what I type. XD And yeah... anything sexist, racist or discriminatory REALLY tends to bother me. 100% agreed on that.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:27 pm
Yuudai Sasaki
tsuxx

i find that there are only three yuri's that aren't smutty Strawberry Panic, Kannazuki no Miko and Utena all the other's i've found are like smut galore  

protecterofelements

Hal B Noire

Dapper Explorer

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 11:34 pm
Well something like Yaoi has been getting more and more exposure...but MTV? Now that's a station I didn't think would even consider even mentioning it. I guess it's good exposure, but the feeling of idiots making fun of the fans and stuff might get around...not that it would make of a difference as there are already people like that.  
PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:16 am
protecterofelements
Yuudai Sasaki
tsuxx

i find that there are only three yuri's that aren't smutty Strawberry Panic, Kannazuki no Miko and Utena all the other's i've found are like smut galore

Not to sound rude, but you have really been unlucky when it comes to Yuri; kind of like me with Yaoi, I guess.

- Noir
- Nana
- Devil Lady
- Hayate Cross Blade
- Brother, Dear Brother
- R.O.D
- Simoun
- Yami to Bōshi to Hon no Tabibito

Just to mention a few. If you have any Yaoi series that does not include Seme/Uke relationships, please tell me. I'd love to watch them. smile  

sjdfnkwnf

sjdfnkwnf

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 3:40 am
tsuxx
That's extremely true, unfortunately. A LOT of females read it for the sole purpose of the art and all the drool-worthy bits. I like to think it's deeper than that, though, and truly... I've found some GREAT ones. Not all of them were that deep, but the ones that made me like Yaoi will forever be appreciated. Unfortunately, a lot of Yaoi fans don't like Yaoi because of the storyline, which makes me really sad. > <' It seems to be for the risque parts. I think people like that are somewhat shallow if that's all they see in it.
And I shall have to try Scandal Kiss. It sounds promising. :3

Yeah, that's how I see it, too. Being a lesbian, when I think of Yuri, I want to think of material that woman can read and relate to-- or just appreciate the depth and meaning to --in a manga, and like it for all the reasons they might like any other book. Even men could like it and appreciate it for what's beyond the art. But then I get guys like the one I mentioned before who like it solely for the 'Hentai factor', and I get completely turned off at the idea of reading it. I find it SO offensive that people say that that's ALL Yuri is about. But, sadly, for the ones I've found on Comic shelves while browsing, it's somewhat true. I'll DEFINITELY take into suggestion the ones you mentioned, though; I'll even special-order them if I have to. ^ ^' I'd like to give Yuri a chance, because I think it could be really great and that I'm missing something very wonderful. And is Maria-sama Ga Mitseru an anime? I think my cousin and I were planning to watch that sometime soon.

I agree about mainstream genres as well. *shudder* Naruto is one that makes me want to scratch eyeballs out. It's so popular that it's EVERYWHERE. I've met one... possibly up to three people who are avid fans and can remain calm about it, but those people are few and far in-between. Bleach also kind of makes me grimace. It's getting up there in popularity, and A LOT of people have cos-played it at cons I've been to. ._. It just makes me shy away from it. I DO like one considered popular series, though... and that's Tsubasa Chronicle. I've followed it since volume 1 and loved it since then, too, so I consider it out of my hands for how crazily-popular it's gotten, but I can't seem to stop reading it. xp I love it too dearly to part from it.

And that is awesome. :0 We just recently got better cable here, so I'm practically GLUED to the Discovery channel. Mythbusters. <3 And I think I might seriously have a heart attack if Yaoi appeared on there. xDD I would be REALLY confused. But yeah, I'd rather buy CDs/import them than watch music channels. If I want to see a specific music video, I check Stage6.com or YouTube (although YouTube bothers me, too). I really dislike MTV and Much Music. Even Much More Music doesn't strike me as anything special. Most of it is all crap and sexual material that I would rather NOT subject myself to, thank-you very much.

Yay for intelligence~. It's so refreshing to have a conversation like this and not receive some really moronic replies back. * *' I'm so used to being considered a jerk when I post like this, due to length and rambling and the fact that no one usually reads what I type. XD And yeah... anything sexist, racist or discriminatory REALLY tends to bother me. 100% agreed on that.

Let me start by apologizing for the double-post and the amount of time it took to answer. redface

I like to think of homosexual romances as deeper because same-sex couples have to deal with things that heterosexuals don't even have to worry about.

I get so darn angered about the hypocritism in the Yaoi/Yuri fandom as well! I meet so many who state that Yuri is sick, while Yaoi is a-okay, or vice versa. They do not have to like both, but they shouldn't go around telling people that it's 'sick and twisted' because they, themselves, are narrow minded. And yes, you should really give Maria-Sama ga Miteru a chance; the plot is deep and the artwork beautiful.

Naruto is an excellent example of something mainstream that has 'turned me off' so to speak. In all honesty I can't see why it's so popular, but that's another story. I've never actually seen an episode of Tsubasa; not because I don't like it, but because it just haven't interested me yet. I need a hit of inspiration before I watch it.

I love Ancient Egypt, so the History Channel and Discovery are my two best friends. I'm planning on getting Discovery Civil as well since many documentaries about Ancient Egypt are shown on that channel. MTV however...is just horrible; it is a more child friendly porn channel of some sort.

Same here! Sometimes I accidentally offend people as well when I comment. Luckily I've 'met' you here. smile  
The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff