Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Main Forum
I joined! ...Now what? Meeting, greeting, and direction Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

What's your favorite part of the hobby?
  The gaming!
  The painting and modeling!
  The literature and background!
  The people! You guys are awesome!
  Everything! I can't choose!
View Results

Asiril

Romantic Lunatic

10,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 9:27 pm
DarkElf27
Heya, big chess player, aye? I still love chess personally, can never find someone to play against though.

There's a lot of people here who live and breathe the fluff/lore of the armies, so I'm sure you could find some new insight on the Space Wolves around here somewhere.

Oh I love me some chess, especially finding new people to play that don't get up and leave after two games. >>; I'd offer a game but I rarely do online chess it doesn't really feel the same as moving the pieces by hand and staring someone in the eye and watching for the moment they go "Oh Ill just....oh..."

Oh neat, I wanna chat more about it in general considering that I think I know a grand total of two people that even know what Warhammer 40k even is. Were would be a good way to find out more about the game itself? I have a general understanding that the pieces are models painted and handcrafted with care to be outfitted with gear and have a points allotment for 'space'(?) as well as some units pending on lore/fluff have abilities or special stuffs.. It sounds rpg-ey and I just gotta know more. Wheres a good place to start? Also, I think I know about as much about the Space Wolves as I can (without spoiling the novels I have been maybe hooked on from skimming at the local bookstore). Really I just knew about it, till I picked up and leafed through a codex at a bookstore and went "ooh..ooooh.... OH SH*T!" And quickly found a fanboy for the sheer awesome that is Warhammer40k. Then I looked at the pricetag and moped out of the store.  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 16, 2013 11:39 pm
Asiril
DarkElf27
Heya, big chess player, aye? I still love chess personally, can never find someone to play against though.

There's a lot of people here who live and breathe the fluff/lore of the armies, so I'm sure you could find some new insight on the Space Wolves around here somewhere.

Oh I love me some chess, especially finding new people to play that don't get up and leave after two games. >>; I'd offer a game but I rarely do online chess it doesn't really feel the same as moving the pieces by hand and staring someone in the eye and watching for the moment they go "Oh Ill just....oh..."

Oh neat, I wanna chat more about it in general considering that I think I know a grand total of two people that even know what Warhammer 40k even is. Were would be a good way to find out more about the game itself? I have a general understanding that the pieces are models painted and handcrafted with care to be outfitted with gear and have a points allotment for 'space'(?) as well as some units pending on lore/fluff have abilities or special stuffs.. It sounds rpg-ey and I just gotta know more. Wheres a good place to start? Also, I think I know about as much about the Space Wolves as I can (without spoiling the novels I have been maybe hooked on from skimming at the local bookstore). Really I just knew about it, till I picked up and leafed through a codex at a bookstore and went "ooh..ooooh.... OH SH*T!" And quickly found a fanboy for the sheer awesome that is Warhammer40k. Then I looked at the pricetag and moped out of the store.

The best place to start with lore/fluff is definitely the Rulebook. 6th Edition came out about 7 months ago and has all the general rules and backstory on 40k and how the Space Marines/Space Wolves fit into the Imperium. It is a bit expensive, but it is the first place to go to learn about the game as a whole, and even to see if there was another army that caught your interest. From the Rulebook, I would get the codex specific to what you want to play. Also, visit a gaming store or a Games Workshop store and talk with the people there. Go on a gaming day when people are actually playing games with their armies, and if they don't mind talking, ask them what they know. People have a sticky habit of absorbing the information like a sponge, especially where their own minis are concerned.

After you've acquired a rulebook, and perhaps talked to some people, GW makes a starter set with basic paints, a brush, a Space Marine demi-squad, and a guide on how to paint Space Marines. Here

And of course you can use alot of people here as a resource. I don't know alot about the fluff in this game, but I am learning about the game almost daily. Granted I live with a walking 40k encyclopedia in the form of DarkElf27, so its not as bad. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and when you do start painting minis, which is one of the funnest parts of the game, this guild has a sub-forum specifically for painting discussion. Good luck!  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Asiril

Romantic Lunatic

10,400 Points
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Invisibility 100
  • Conventioneer 300
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:07 am
ArletaMagic
The best place to start with lore/fluff is definitely the Rulebook. 6th Edition came out about 7 months ago and has all the general rules and backstory on 40k and how the Space Marines/Space Wolves fit into the Imperium. It is a bit expensive, but it is the first place to go to learn about the game as a whole, and even to see if there was another army that caught your interest. From the Rulebook, I would get the codex specific to what you want to play. Also, visit a gaming store or a Games Workshop store and talk with the people there. Go on a gaming day when people are actually playing games with their armies, and if they don't mind talking, ask them what they know. People have a sticky habit of absorbing the information like a sponge, especially where their own minis are concerned.

After you've acquired a rulebook, and perhaps talked to some people, GW makes a starter set with basic paints, a brush, a Space Marine demi-squad, and a guide on how to paint Space Marines. Here

And of course you can use alot of people here as a resource. I don't know alot about the fluff in this game, but I am learning about the game almost daily. Granted I live with a walking 40k encyclopedia in the form of DarkElf27, so its not as bad. Don't be afraid to ask questions, and when you do start painting minis, which is one of the funnest parts of the game, this guild has a sub-forum specifically for painting discussion. Good luck!

Are Codexes relevant until they get a new one? Cause I did peak around a games workshop and saw a Space Wolves Codex but I also hear each edition will provide more rules or updates here n there. Also, I kinda can't visit a Games Workshop.. and the claimed Wargames shop in my town I don't think actually exists.. I have been to one and have seen the minis on the table but I was too busy being shown Tyranids for the first time to pay attention.So.. Im kinda using here to learn more D: But thank you very much :3 That sent me on an hour long 'Ill just take a peak' at minis throughout the games factions. Grey Knights have such cool toys.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 17, 2013 8:21 am
Asiril
ArletaMagic

Are Codexes relevant until they get a new one? Cause I did peak around a games workshop and saw a Space Wolves Codex but I also hear each edition will provide more rules or updates here n there. Also, I kinda can't visit a Games Workshop.. and the claimed Wargames shop in my town I don't think actually exists.. I have been to one and have seen the minis on the table but I was too busy being shown Tyranids for the first time to pay attention.So.. Im kinda using here to learn more D: But thank you very much :3 That sent me on an hour long 'Ill just take a peak' at minis throughout the games factions. Grey Knights have such cool toys.
If your interest is in background and fluff, then old rulebooks are great. I keep all my old editions of stuff for that reason, because they will tell you different aspects of the history, with different anecdotes. I can't tell you how many times I've referenced the 3rd-edition rulebook because it described something in more detail than the newer stuff.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Pilan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:16 am
now I feel stupid; dunno if I posted greetings here when I first joined or not. Ah well, best do it now before I forget.

Name's Pilan, been a player in the Warhammer 40k game for some time, I can't remember exactly how long I've been at it. I do recall that I started with the Tau, which were still relatively new back then, then experimented with teh Nids and Eldar before going on a several year hiatus. Got back into the game about two years ago and built up a space marine army based on the Blood Ravens. Now that the Tau have their new codex, I think it's time to relearn my tau strategies and kick some xeno butts for the greater good.

Though, I'll first have to redo my Tau's color scheme; been a silver primary with gold secondary armor color with black for both mechanisms and cloth. Changing it so gold is a sept marking and details color, black a mechanism color, silverish grey as the primary armor with blood red the secondary color. Cloth color is still up in the air  
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 11:50 pm
Hello there, I'm Spess Mehreen, and I'm more or less a lore person. I was introduced to 40k by dawn of war, which I liked enough to name myself after one of its more infamous memes. I mostly read the lore and try to learn more about the setting itself, due to me generally finding the backstory to be very interesting.

I generally prefer the Necrons over every other race, with Tyranids and Sisters of Battle coming close. I don't really like the Eldar too much though, along with the Tau and some of the blander Spess Mehreen Chapters.

I'm also an utterly terrible not very skilled fanfic writer, though I am trying to improve my skills. I also roleplay on occasion, depending on the Rp itself.  

SPESS MEHREEN

Versatile Gekko

5,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:23 am
SPESS MEHREEN
Hello there, I'm Spess Mehreen, and I'm more or less a lore person. I was introduced to 40k by dawn of war, which I liked enough to name myself after one of its more infamous memes. I mostly read the lore and try to learn more about the setting itself, due to me generally finding the backstory to be very interesting.

I generally prefer the Necrons over every other race, with Tyranids and Sisters of Battle coming close. I don't really like the Eldar too much though, along with the Tau and some of the blander Spess Mehreen Chapters.

I'm also an utterly terrible not very skilled fanfic writer, though I am trying to improve my skills. I also roleplay on occasion, depending on the Rp itself.

Hey there! Im Arleta, and I actually play Sisters of Battle. My husband got me into it, I'm sure you'll see him around here. A lot of the lore can be read in the many MANY books that have been written about the universe. Any interest in actually putting together an army any time soon?  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 4:28 am
Pilan
now I feel stupid; dunno if I posted greetings here when I first joined or not. Ah well, best do it now before I forget.

Name's Pilan, been a player in the Warhammer 40k game for some time, I can't remember exactly how long I've been at it. I do recall that I started with the Tau, which were still relatively new back then, then experimented with teh Nids and Eldar before going on a several year hiatus. Got back into the game about two years ago and built up a space marine army based on the Blood Ravens. Now that the Tau have their new codex, I think it's time to relearn my tau strategies and kick some xeno butts for the greater good.

Though, I'll first have to redo my Tau's color scheme; been a silver primary with gold secondary armor color with black for both mechanisms and cloth. Changing it so gold is a sept marking and details color, black a mechanism color, silverish grey as the primary armor with blood red the secondary color. Cloth color is still up in the air

I'll bet you're glad to be redoing your Tau, lol. Last month's WD made me want to get into them, but I am die hard Sisters. Loved what you did in the painting contest. As far as the new scheme, I think Id have to see it before giving commentary. I do purple and black and its hard for people to wrap around unless they see it.. but a new paint scheme is always fun.  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

Admiral Dardanos

Hallowed Hunter

PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 8:55 am
Hi, I'm Dardanos. A friend and I collected and played Warhammer for a while about a decade ago, but I've kept up with some of the lore and played some the games and read some of the books in the time since then.

We started of with Fantasy (although my very first models where LOTR Gondorians that came free with a magazine). Being the kid that I was at the time I just bought the models I liked the look of the best instead of actually building a proper army so I have a mishmash of Dark Elf Executioners, High Elf Silverhelms, a dragon Prince & Dragon, Chaos Warriors, Some Bretonnian Knights and Pegusi. Despite all that my army of choice was Dogs of War.

Anywho, we made the transition to 40k, I went Tau(though I have a small collection of Tyranids because GW sent me the wrong battle pack at first. I also have a few Sisters of Battle 'cause they are awesome I I was thinking of building a Witch Hunter army.) and my friend went with Grey Knights. He moved moved away shortly after and I had no knowledge of any other people in my area who played. As a result most of my models are unpainted and have been in the attic for the past ten years or so.

I'm thinking of posting a few pics of the ones I do have painted to see what you guys think. I'm a complete novice at painting, so any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the lifestory sweatdrop

TL biggrin R: I'm a Tau guy( though I'm fond of SOB and IG as well).  
PostPosted: Sat May 11, 2013 10:41 pm
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN

Hey there! Im Arleta, and I actually play Sisters of Battle. My husband got me into it, I'm sure you'll see him around here. A lot of the lore can be read in the many MANY books that have been written about the universe. Any interest in actually putting together an army any time soon?

Sadly, no, not for a few years at least. crying  

SPESS MEHREEN

Versatile Gekko

5,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:22 am
Admiral Dardanos
Hi, I'm Dardanos. A friend and I collected and played Warhammer for a while about a decade ago, but I've kept up with some of the lore and played some the games and read some of the books in the time since then.

We started of with Fantasy (although my very first models where LOTR Gondorians that came free with a magazine). Being the kid that I was at the time I just bought the models I liked the look of the best instead of actually building a proper army so I have a mishmash of Dark Elf Executioners, High Elf Silverhelms, a dragon Prince & Dragon, Chaos Warriors, Some Bretonnian Knights and Pegusi. Despite all that my army of choice was Dogs of War.

Anywho, we made the transition to 40k, I went Tau(though I have a small collection of Tyranids because GW sent me the wrong battle pack at first. I also have a few Sisters of Battle 'cause they are awesome I I was thinking of building a Witch Hunter army.) and my friend went with Grey Knights. He moved moved away shortly after and I had no knowledge of any other people in my area who played. As a result most of my models are unpainted and have been in the attic for the past ten years or so.

I'm thinking of posting a few pics of the ones I do have painted to see what you guys think. I'm a complete novice at painting, so any advice would be appreciated.

Sorry for the lifestory sweatdrop

TL biggrin R: I'm a Tau guy( though I'm fond of SOB and IG as well).

^^;; Hello! As I said above, if you read (no worries if you didn't) I'm Arleta, and I actually play SoB exclusively. Witch Hunters don't exist anymore in the form you're probably familiar with from a while ago, as the SoB are now their own stand-alone, and the Witch Hunters got absorbed into the Grey Knights. I'd love to see what you have painted for some references and someone to talk to who actually paints/collects them, as I'm the only one I know who is actively playing them.

^^;  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:24 am
SPESS MEHREEN
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN

Why not for a few years? There are plenty of starter kits out there that are not super expensive and usually have everything required to get you started ^^  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

SPESS MEHREEN

Versatile Gekko

5,200 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:43 am
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN

Why not for a few years? There are plenty of starter kits out there that are not super expensive and usually have everything required to get you started ^^

Really? Oh, Dammit, forgot about the starter kits. Actually, looking at some of the prices on ebay, it might not actually be all that monstrously expensive to field a Necron army like I thought it would be.  
PostPosted: Sun May 12, 2013 9:59 am
SPESS MEHREEN
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN
ArletaMagic
SPESS MEHREEN

Really? Oh, Dammit, forgot about the starter kits. Actually, looking at some of the prices on ebay, it might not actually be all that monstrously expensive to field a Necron army like I thought it would be.

mhm! First purchases though, definitely get a 6th ed. rule book. Plenty of fluff there to get yourself involved in, also get a Codex. Lots of reading to keep you occupied blaugh

Its a pricey investment, but so worth it.  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

PlaguePriest

Dapper Prophet

3,100 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Signature Look 250
PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2013 12:33 am
Hello everyone! My name's Eddy, but my friends call me Magnus. If it makes it easier, you can just call me (orma)God(en).
I've played a shooty Dark Eldar Army for two years, and I have a severe addiction to Trueborn squads. I've sought out help, but it just won't stop.
But lately I've been scaling back on the tabletop and taking to the lore and literature!
My favorite pre-heresy legion is the Thousand Sons and post-heresy would have to be the Storm Wardens. Because who doesn't like Scottish Highlander Space Marines? Though the fanmade Lantern Marines are a close second.

But that gives the illusion of loyalism. Which is wrong. Because I'm a devotee of the Great Father Nurgle, and you can't change that :p  
Main Forum

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff