Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
Mythology I ~ Updated Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2013 9:06 pm
Lesson 2: The Fountain of Fair Fortune

User Image

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2013 10:45 pm
User Image
Amata Harlowe
Mythology Professor // Former Gryffindor // Wearing in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY WITH // Studentsspacesp
CURRENTLY FEELING // Elatedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I do so love this lesson...' spacespac

═════════════════════════════════

Amata went from her office to her classroom with a light step, her eyes bright. She did so love opening the meat of the class with this particular lesson, for a multitude of reasons. Firstly, because it was, of course, her favorite. The second was that she learned a lot about her students from it. It was always an interesting discussion. Sometimes it was even surprising. She flicked her wand, the words writing themselves out, and she sat in her favorite spot on her desk, eyeing the students. "Once you've got the notes written down, I'd like to open discussion on the story. Tell us what you think, ask your questions. Know that anyone who disrespects their fellow students, or their opinions, will lose house points. Anyone who participates will earn them, so long as they do so respectfully."

(( OOC: ))

Quote:
Lesson One: Beedle the Bard
          The Man:
              • Born in Yorkshire in the 15th century.
              • Author of many of the wizarding world’s most well-known and famous folktales.
              • Little is known of the man or his personal life.
              • Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
              • He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
              • His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
              • There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as ‘The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
              The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
              The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
              The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:42 pm
Lesson 1: Beedle the Bard

User Image

The Man:
              • Many of his tales sparked controversy due to his apparently high opinion of non-magical folk and treatment of wizards who valued pure bloodlines or ambitious designs.
              • He mistrusted all forms of Dark Magic and believed that wizards were far from immune to the lure of those worst traits of humankind.
              • His stories were unusual in that in them, the heroes were rarely those with the strongest magic, but rather those who possessed traits such as kindness, common sense, ingenuity.
              • There are various parallels between Beedle and the famous muggle playwright William Shakespeare, both of whom are referred to as ‘The Bard.’ Less informed readers are often of the incorrect belief that they were actually one and the same person.

The Tales:
              The Fountain of Fair Fortune: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing.
              The Wizard and the Hopping Pot: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.
              The Warlock’s Hairy Heart: A warlock becomes convinced that love is a true weakness, and seeking to become powerful and without any weaknesses, locks his heart away so that he can never fall in love.

Homework: Write a short essay on Beedle and how public opinion of muggles during his lifetime may have led to controversy concerning his stories. Offer your opinion on the perspectives of both the Bard and his peers.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

Diamond Wales

IceGrayWolf

shabatha

Rawwry

heather030595

Good Boy Yuuki

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 11:54 pm
User Image
Amata is...spacespacespacespace
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY FEELING // Strainedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I have to give the lesson; I have to keep my feelings at the back of my mind.' spacespac
'The rain is falling on my windowpane,
But we are hiding in a safer place.'

Amata entered her classroom and, with a flick of her wand, the day's lesson wrote itself out on the board. She sat on her desk, same as she always did on the first day, but her usual smile was absent. Grayson still hadn't awakened from his impromptu nap at the feast. Her hand went to her temple, rubbing lightly as she closed her eyes. She needed some pep in her; especially in this lesson. After all, these were her third years; this impression was the impression she'd be making that would determine if students wanted to continue this lesson through to their OWLs fifth year. She needed to make them feel enthusiastic, to get them interested in her class. But... she just didn't feel it. She sighed. When the students arrived, she managed to give them all a smile, though it didn't quite reach her eyes. She looked stressed, as they could probably see. But, she was determined to try and make sure that her bad mood didn't adversely affect her students. She clapped her hands together, though without the usual fervor, and began the lesson. "Hello, all, and welcome to Mythology. If you could please all take a form from my desk and fill it out for me, I would greatly appreciate it. Any information you don't wish to share, is of course, fine, I would just like to have as much information as I can to ensure that we're all on the same page for our lessons." She gave them all a moment to fill out the forms, and then collected them, reading over the pages quickly and assigning names to faces and making note of the students and their knowledge of her subject. "Alright, then. First things first, I'd like you all to know that this lesson operates mostly on a discussion basis. That is, I will give the information that the lesson covers, and then I'll open the floor for discussion. Any student who contributes will earn house points, provided that their contribution is not offensive or rude or disruptive. Please respect your fellow students and their opinions, even if you don't agree with them." She rubbed her temple again, and then launched into the lesson. Of course, there were notes on the board for them to all take, but she'd decided after last term that she needed to be a bit more informative to her students.

"Our first lesson is on Beedle the Bard. If you could all please copy the notes on the board, I've included most of the important information there. One of the most important things to know about the Bard is that he was a controversial figure in his time, and is still considered to be one by some. His views were ahead of their time, radical for the period. Can anyone tell me why, or offer up any interesting information on the Bard? Or, if you have a question, feel free to ask." She really should have said more aloud, but she couldn't help but feel that doing so would be repetitive of her. So, she let them copy their notes and waited for anything anyone had to say.

'Under covers staying safe and warm,
                                                          You give me feelings that I adore.'

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

shabatha

Desirable Prophet

10,375 Points
  • Entrepreneur 150
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 11, 2013 1:14 pm
User Image
☾ ☆ ★ ☆ ☽Shayna Aileen Snow☾ ☆ ★ ☆ ☽

I knew you were trouble when you walked in,
So shame on me now,
Flew me to places I've never been,
Now I'm lying on the cold hard ground.

Ⓗᴀʟғ-Ⓑʟᴏᴏᴅ// Ⓡᴀᴠᴇɴᴄʟᴀᴡ// Ⓣʜɪʀᴅ Ⓨᴇᴀʀ// Ⓡᴇⓢᴇʀᴠᴇ Ⓢᴇᴇᴋᴇʀ// ➊➌ ʏᴇᴀʀⓢ ᴏʟᴅ// Ⓓᴀᴛɪɴɢ Ⓓᴀᴠɪᴅ

User Image

Shayna skipped into class happily and seeing as she was first she started to get everything she would need out. She sat close the front and started to take notes from what was on the board when she heard about the form she eagerly went to get one to fill out.

Name: Shayna Snow
House: Ravenclaw
Year: Third
Blood Status: half-blood
Curriculum: None sorry, my parents hid the fact I was a witch until I got the letter.
Something interesting about you: Uh.... I have twin baby brothers?

When it was finished she quickly handed it in to start working on the second to last paragraph. It was already interesting.

(O.o.C.)

User Image

User Image

I want to Scream and Shout,
And Dance the Night out.
And Scream and Shout,
And Go All Out

Sapphire The Owl

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2013 2:49 pm
User Image
                                                    Do you really wanna be like them?
                                                      Do you really wanna be another trend?
                                                        Do you wanna be part of that crowd?
                                                          Cause I don't ever wanna
                                                            I don't ever wanna be

User Image

Luke was mildly surprised when he looked at his destination as he entered. Nope, not his imagination. The same professor was teaching Muggle Mythology. He entered and slid into a seat, deciding that he really didn't have to fill out the same form for this class. Instead, he hooked his hands behind his head, listening to the professor talk. When she asked if anyone had knowledge as to why, Luke decided to speak up. Apparently no one was going to say anything otherwise. "Professor, We went over Beedle the Bard in History of magic class, at least a little bit. Weren't his works considered unsuitable because of a pro-muggle attitude?" His parents had taught him the old tales, the unedited versions. He didn't know what the whole purist leaning was on them to be honest, but he heard it was pretty bad, especially when Magni said the tales were different for him. That made him wonder what the difference was, and now hearing it again, he wanted to read an edited version. Well, it would be one of those things he'd want to know more about, wouldn't it?

User Image
State: Curious
OOC: ...

You, don't wanna be just like youxxx
What I'm sayin' isxxxxx
This is the anthemxxxxxxx
Throw all your hands upxxxxxxxxx
You, don't wanna be youxxxxxxxxxxx

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 10:02 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in her Classroomspace
CURRENTLY FEELING // Strainedspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'I have to give the lesson; I have to keep my feelings at the back of my mind.' spacespac

Amata gave Luke a small smile when she saw him. She'd thought he was on her roster for both classes. She noticed he'd opted out of filling out a form of his own, and decided to let it slide. Technically, she should have insisted he fill it out, since he'd not asked if he didn't have to. But, despite his negative attitude towards his house, he seemed like a bright kid, and she sort of admired his fire. Even if he didn't like being a Gryffindor, he certainly had the courage of one. Perhaps it was displaced, but it was definitely there. She looked over Shayna's form, putting everything in her mental cabinet for record keeping.

At Luke question, she nodded, offering a small, but weary, smile.
                                                          "That's exactly right, Mister Nalson. At the time he was alive, wizard-muggle relations had recently taken a turn for the worse, one which would culminate in the need to enact the Statute of Secrecy. Beedle published his works right in the thick of the conflict. Considering the opinion most Wizards had of Muggles, and vice versa, the idea that both parties were simply human, and therefore equal, was outrageous." She gave the boy a sly look. "Five points to Gryffindor, Mister Nalson." She waited to see his reaction to that. She had a feeling he didn't want to earn his house points; why would he, after all, if he didn't like it? But if he earned them, she would give. And she had a feeling that the rather bright young man's dislike for his house might be outshone by his desire to do well in his courses. He seemed like the type to take academics very seriously.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 10:36 pm
User Image
Gʀʏғғɪɴᴅᴏʀ Tʜɪʀᴅ Yᴇᴀʀ Hᴀʟғ-Bʟᴏᴏᴅ Cʜᴀsᴇʀ Sɪɴɢʟᴇ

User Image

I got a lot of things I have to do
                                                              All these distractions
                                                              Our futures coming soon
                                                              We're being pulled a hundred different directions
                                                              But whatever happens I know I've got you

Mood : Tired, Paranoid, Confused, yeah
                                                              Thinking : Just what are they talking about....I can't keep my head straight
                                                              Doing : Copying
                                                              Where : Mythology Classroom
                                                              With : Third Years;

He. Is. Freaking. Late. For. Mythology. Confused, nervous, and overall paranoid blue eyes shifted from left to right, hoping to get a glimpse of something that, even the slightest, involved in Mythology. Oh dear unicorn. Xavier ran down the corridors, got scolded by older students, bumped people, and slipped past the teachers just to get to the bloody Mythology classroom. Once he finally saw it, he opened the door just in time when the Professor, Professor Harlowe, gave ten points to Luke. “ I, umm, sorry for late, being one late—I’m sorry for being late. “ He has no idea what he’s saying right now. He just ran down every corridor there is, and went down the one that actually has the Mythology classroom last. He glanced around the room first, seeing that Shayna and Luke were the only students there. What. Where are the others?

First, he shook his head and tried to get everything straight. He took the paper on the desk and started filling it out as quickly as he can.

Name: Xavier Nicholson
                                                              House: Gryffindor
                                                              Year: Third
                                                              Blood Status: Half-Blood
                                                              Curriculum: I’ve heard all of them, but I’m not entirely sure if what my family has told me is true. They tend to add some unexpected twists, but does not go too far from the original story.
                                                              Something interesting about you: Ummm…I’m afraid of giant spiders?

” Here you go, Professor, “ he said as he gave her his form. He sat down and blinked at the writings on the board. Oh God it’s so many! Why. Just—why. “ Keep it together, Xavier. You have to copy all of that, “ he encouraged himself as he started to copy everything on the board.

You're in my mind your in my heart
                                                              It doesn't matter where we are
                                                              It'll be alright
                                                              Even if we're miles apart

Oᴜᴛ Oғ Cʜᴀᴍᴘᴀɢɴᴇ:

All I wanna do is be with you, be with you
                                                              There's nothing we can do
                                                              Just wanna be with you; only you
                                                              No matter where life takes us nothing can break us apart
                                                              You know its true,
                                                              I just wanna be with you

IceGrayWolf

Tipsy Pup

9,050 Points
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Flatterer 200
  • Brandisher 100

Good boy Yuuki

Divine Explorer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:01 pm
User Image
Cadis Estrama Di Razel

Faint footstep could be heard from the corridor as a Fourth Year student slowly making his way to his class. Many intended to avoid this particular man due to his demon-like eyes along with a large killing intend which he is spreading out. Why does he look like that you ask? Because he just awoke from his slumber in which he have no attention on waking up till whenever he feels like. But his dorm mates and school bell was unbelievably loud which awoke him. Now, where was his heading again? Ah yes, the Third year Mythology class which he skipped last year, and here he is, repeating the class again... After a few minutes walk, the young wizard arrived at his destination and knocked on the door just to show his respect to the professor who is teaching. He was probably the latest of them all but at the very least he attended the class. Entering the classroom soon after he have knocked, he found himself surrounded by the third year students. Gently shutting the door behind him, he makes his way to the very end of the classroom as he grab one of the form placed on the Professor table and sat there alone. Sorry for being late, I got lost, he lied in a monotone and proceed to fill out the form.

Name: Cadis Estrama Di Raizel
House: Slytherin
Year: Fourth
Blood Status: ....?
Curriculum: ...?
Something interesting about you: I have a 20/8 eyes sight which allows me to see further then any other human could.

With the form being filled, he stood up and placed them on the Professor table and walked back to his seat and starting to take out some parchment and a quill and start to copy whatever is there to be copy from the board.

House Of: Slytherin
Years: 4
I'm at: Mythlogy Study Class
I'm with: Someone I don't know
OOC:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:22 pm

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 1 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 2.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 4:25 pm

User Image

Summary: Enclosed in a magical garden lays The Fountain of Fair Fortune, a magical fountain whose waters are believed to cure the aliment of any bathe in its waters. Three witches, suffering from poverty, illness and heartbreak, travel with an unfortunate knight to seek its blessing. As they travel, each witch faced a trial which helped her to overcome her woes, so that when they came across the fountain, each forsook the right to bathe in its waters, offering it instead to the knight.

Controversy: This tale has long been discounted and discredited by blood purists, who attack it for its depiction of romance between a witch and a muggle. Over the years, there have been many petitions started to have it removed from the library of Hogwarts and to cease its inclusion in publications of the Bard’s tales.

Homework: Write a short essay on the idea of the Fountain and why you think it worked, despite the fact that its waters held no true enchantment.

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, your house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent, or your character is unable to attend lessons starting before the first meeting of the class.

Diamond Wales

IceGrayWolf

shabatha

Rawwry

heather030595
Exempt from Point Loss: College

Good Boy Yuuki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 5:20 pm
User Image
CURRENTLY // Looking Lovely in Locationspace
CURRENTLY // single // crushing on Grayson Powell // lovingspaces
CURRENTLY FEELING // Drabspacespa
CURRENTLY THINKING // 'At least I still have my lessons to keep me pre-occupied. spacespac

Amata Harlowe was, for once, seated behind her desk, rather than atop it. It was a rather unusual sight, one that was a perfect indication of how very down she felt. She didn't have much of a social life, and what little time she did spend with others was typically a conversation with Grayson when they passed in the halls, or at dinner in the evening. But with his sleeping form laying in the Hospital Wing, she was distraught and alone. The only light penetrating the dark cloud that hovered over her of late was the news that her friend Ciaran Lowery and his husband were planning on adopting. It was about the only thing that brought a smile to her face. She really needed to ask Ciaran to meet her for drinks so they could catch up. She'd heard his nephew was a first year this year; she needed to talk him into convincing the boy to take her lesson.

She sighed a bit, waiting for her students to arrive and settle in before beginning the lesson.
                                                          "Afternoon, class. Today we'll be talking about one of the Bard's most well known tales, The Fountain of Fair Fortune. The notes for it are up on the board. This particular story is a personal favorite of mine. I assume you all read it, so I'll give ten house points to whoever can guess why." Her hand went to her forehead. She had a horrible headache today. Actually, she had a horrible headache most days of late. Worrying constantly tended to do that to a person, after all. Even the lesson on her favorite old story was doing next to nothing to brighten her mood. She waited patiently for one of her students to hazard a guess at her connection to the tale. It wasn't a hard one to get; she'd been named after one of the characters, the witch who'd fallen in love with the muggle knight. Anyone who could guess her blood status from that as well would earn an extra fifteen points for managing to put it together, though she didn't say that part aloud. Doing so would tell them to look for more than the simple answer, and if there was one thing Amata wanted her students to learn to do, it was think for themselves.

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:40 pm

User Image

Lesson Closed

OOC:

Homework for Lesson 2 should be turned into Professor Harlowe's Office before the end of Lesson 3.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2013 10:49 pm
Lesson 3: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot

User Image

Lesson Three: The Wizard and the Hopping Pot
          Summary: A kindly old wizard, who uses his magic to help the non-magical folk of a nearby village, passes away, leaving his blood purist son as their only assistance in times of trouble. The son, however, has little interest in helping the muggles. He is punished for his hard headedness by a magical pot, which his father enchanted to become afflicted with anything those in the village are afflicted with.

Controversy: This particular tale has been subject to two rewrites, for different reasons. Beatrix Bloxam rewrote the tale to make it more appropriate for children, believing that the depiction of the pot was too gruesome for children. On the other hand, blood purists rewrote the tale to completely change the depictions of the father and son. In the original tale, the father is depicted as a kindly old man, and much cleverer than his son. The son, a blood purist, is shown to be cruel and selfish. In the Bard’s tale, the Hopping Pot is a device created by the father, meant to force the son out of his selfish ways and teach him to help the muggles who live in the nearby village as he had in his life. But, in the revised version, the Pot instead is meant to protect the son from the muggles, who attack him for practicing magic. In this version, the Pot gulps most of the villagers, and the wizard tells the muggles that if they leave him alone, they will be safe. Copies of the original story were destroyed to such an extent that it was considered a miracle that any child has heard it. Many wizard children still grow up hearing only the revised edition.

Homework: Write a short essay on the differences between the original story and either of the revised versions.

OOC:

Diamond Wales

IceGrayWolf

shabatha

Rawwry

heather030595
Exempt from Point Loss: College

Good Boy Yuuki

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50

MJ Spooks

Demonic Cat

14,625 Points
  • Demonic Associate 100
  • WilyTrickster 50
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 1:10 am

User Image

The Man:

The Tales:

OOC:

If you are quoted, your student is registered for this lesson. If he or she does not attend at least one class, his/her house will be docked ten points at the end of the term. This is waived if you are listed as absent.

First Lesson Survey:

[align=center][b]Name:[/b] Your first and last name.
[b]House:[/b] Your house.
[b]Year:[/b] Your year.
[b]Blood Status:[/b] I know this is something of a personal question, but I would like you to let me know if you are a pureblood, halfblood or muggleborn. It can help me to understand your background and thus how familiar you may be with the curriculum.
[b]Curriculum:[/b] Please list aspects of the curriculum that you are already familiar with.
[b]Something interesting about you:[/b] Just so I can get to know you better! This can be about anything, from your pets to your lessons here to whatever else you want to tell me.[/align]

shabatha

Essy ze Ninja

heather030595

Miss GryffindorK

Xistund

Nanashi Kage Enjeru

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers