Welcome to Gaia! ::

Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry Roleplay Guild

Back to Guilds

A school of magic, based on J.K. Rowling's books. In need of Professors and Students! Join Now for the February - May year! 

Tags: Harry Potter, Hogwarts, Hogsmeade, J.K. Rowling, Roleplay 

Reply Third Year Classes
History of Magic III (1/5) *New Class 2/10* Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Xistund

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2013 10:46 pm
User Image
User ImageUser Image
SlytherinThird YearBeater
SlytherinThird YearReserve Keeper

Darius sat in class a bit bored he hated this class. He never learned anything of real value or at least to him. Why should he care why the muggles tried to burn witches it rarely worked to begin with and almost none of them believes in magic.

Virgil sneered "What they should have done is do to the muggles what they did to our kind and wiped them out instead of hiding like rats. The world would be better off for it." He his views on mud-bloods and half breeds had not changed over the two years.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2013 11:06 am
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson walked into the classroom, excited to get the class started. He quickly wrote the topic for the day upon the board, and then turned to face the students. He grinned at them, more comfortable with teaching than he had been at the beginning of the year.

Professor Powell
Nicolas Flamel

"Hello again, class. Today the topic is Nicolas Flamel, renouned alchemist and quite possibly the longest lived wizard of all time.

"Nicolas Flamel (c. 1327 - c. 1992) was a well-known alchemist and only known maker of the Philosopher's Stone, a legendary substance with incredible powers. He was a close friend and partner with former Hogwarts School Headmaster Albus Dumbledore. He owed his considerable age to the Elixir of Life which he and his wife, Perenelle, created using the Stone. They were aged six hundred sixty-five and six hundred fifty-eight, respectively, at their time of deaths.

"Flamel is noted as an alchemist of considerable talent and as an opera-lover. It is said he enjoyed his later years living a quiet life in Devon. Although it is clear that he used the Elixir to greatly extend his life, it is not specified whether he used the Stone's powers to make himself greatly wealthy, as the Stone is also capable of turning any metal into gold.

"The danger of the Stone's existence was brought to light when Voldemort, with the help of Hogwarts Professor Quirinus Quirrell, was nearly successful in stealing it for the purpose of restoring Voldemort to physical form. However, his plan was thwarted by the efforts of Harry Potter, Hermione Granger, and Ron Weasley. Flamel agreed, along with Dumbledore, that the stone should be destroyed. With enough Elixir to set his affairs in order, it was expected that Flamel and his wife would die shortly thereafter.

"Now I know that some of you may have questions, so please feel free to ask them. However I do have a question for you. Would it be worth it to live forever and have endless amounts of money if you had the ability to do so?

----------------------------------
State: Teaching
OOC: Sorry this is late, just trying to catch back up.

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

The Forgotten Weasley
Crew

Blessed Moonwalker

9,250 Points
  • WilyTrickster 50
  • Blazing Power of Friendship Wave 200
  • The Wolf Within 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:41 am
Today I feel surrounded
Today I am connected
Today I am a part of something more
As if every cell were singing
Still, I can't embrace it
Every silver lining has a cloud
But not so far
I keep waiting for the shoe to drop

Today I feel like dancing: Listening
I never feel like dancing: Sounds like an adventure tale...
It's like even the weather suits my mood: Third Years
My entire soul is ringing: History of Magic

N E W L Y N | T A R A | V A S S

H U F F L E P U F F | B L O O D T R A I T O R | T H I R D Y E A RUser Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Newlyn thought that the lesson sounded less like an actual historical event and more like an adventure tale. People living hundreds of years, a mystical stone, and amazing powers. But it did actually keep her attention, and her notes were a more than just doodles and sketches. She sat by the window as usual, where there was plenty of light.

From C A R I N G comes C O U R A G E

Waiting for the axe to fall
And it will happen
This I know
Just not so far
Still, I can't accept it
I keep looking for the thing to bring me down
Though I can't explain my reasons to you
I think we are the same

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 9:22 am
User Image
Sun ☼ Henrick

Gryffindor || Third Year
▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

Sun couldn't deal with thirteen years, and if he knew he would live forever, life would become extremely boring and most of all, sad. To live and watch the world cripple into disaster and corruption, there was no point. And seeing your loved one die... May as well just give up hope, since you couldn't die anyway. Immortality would drive anyone into madness, and any attempts to take your own life would be futile. Sun sighed and sketched a drawing that spoke of darkness in his textbook margins, with swirls of insanity and depravity.

▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄ ▄▄▄▄▄▄▄

I changed. Now I don't know who I am anymore.

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:41 pm
Chloe Clarisse
Hufflepuff
Third Year

User ImageUser ImageLocation: History of Magic: Friday - (2:00pm to 2:45pm)

Chloe sat in class and happily made her notes for history class. Like usual she noticed Newlyn and Sun drawing. Then again it wasn't that hard because today she decided to sit next to Sun instead of her usual spot in the classroom. When Professor Powell asked them whether they would like to live for hundred and some odd years Chloe couldn't help but think of the downsides.

"I wouldn't because you'd watch everyone around you die besides I think life would be a bit to repetitive." Chloe answered honestly. Falling silent again she glanced over at what Sun was drawing. He seemed to be drawing something that was rather depressing.

With: Third years... Sun

List of Knowledge: Progress

OOC: ---
User Image
Whiskers the Cat

PostPosted: Sat Aug 10, 2013 1:57 pm
A notice has been pinned to the front of the door.

"Until further notice, History of Magic shall be closed to classes. We apologize for any inconvenience."

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 9:59 pm
User Image

User Image

Agnar walked up to the door. It was his first day teaching. Apparently the school needed an emergency teacher. Something about the current professor being indisposed. He of course noticed the noticed and took out his wand. A quick tap incinerated the note, and he watched dispassionately as it fell to the floor. He smirked. Well, this was a good start.

Opening up the classroom, he entered and took stock of what he had. Plenty of books, tomes, and assorted historical paraphernalia littered the room. He was advised not to touch the layout, so the new professor set about working on the board. When he finished, he straightened up the room before standing in front of the classroom. The room seemed darker, more sinister, and he preferred it that way. He waited for students to enter as he flipped idly through the class syllabus and cocked an eyebrow. Well, he had to teach as the school stated, but that didn't mean he was going to be easy on the students.

Professor Bjelke
Professor Agnar Bjelke

Lesson I: Muggle Witch Burnings

"Hello class, and welcome to class. I am Professor Agnar Bjelke, and you shall refer to me as professor or sir. I do not tolerate laziness, rudeness, or ignorance. If you do not know an answer, stay quiet and let those more intelligent than yourself speak. Now, before we begin lessons, I will state this much. Interrupt me, and you shall end up in detention. Do I make myself clear?" He glared around the room, daring anyone to speak up before he launched into his lecture.

"Today, we are going to go ahead and study the witch burnings of the 1600's. Now, as you are very well aware, muggles nowadays don't know about the wizarding world, due to either ignoring magic when they see it or passing it off as merely fantasy for children. However, that was not always the case. The International Statute of Secrecy was only enacted relatively recently within the last several centuries, which of course hides magic from the rest of the world.

"However, wizards and muggles did coexist at some point. For the greater bit of history, they worked together. However, at some point muggles began to distrust wizards, and some even began to fear them. It culminated into the infamous witch burnings that basically ran like wildfire across the world.

"The witch burnings weren't specific in who they targeted. Mostly, they actually persecuted other muggles who they believed to be a witch. Unfortunately, that wasn't always the case. Many of the witches and wizards they grabbed were muggleborn, and they were unfortunate in that most of the time when they were captured, it was due to uncontrollable acts of random magic they had performed.

"Contrary to the name, burning wasn't the only way they got rid of witches. Stoning, throwing them off cliffs, and even drownings were also considered to be acceptable ways to get rid of witches. Most witches and wizards who were caught actually didn't die, as they were able to cast some form of magic to get them out of the situation. One witch in particular found it quite fun to get caught. Wendolyn the Weird actually was caught a grand total of forty-seven times, mostly in different guises, because she found that the tickling sensation of casting a fire-freezing charm was actually enjoyable."

He glanced around at the end, his eyes boring into everyone. "Now, for your homework, you will turn in a fifteen inch report on an incident regarding the witch trials. Anyone not turning something in will have points deducted from his house."

-----------------♛-----------------
State: Hard
OOC: For the homework, you can claim you wrote it up, or you can type up a short response. Those willing to do the response will receive 5 points to their house.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 4:44 pm
User Image
~Yvette Tarot~

Gryffindor/Third Year/Single/Pureblood/Wearing

User ImageUser ImageUser Image

With: Third Years

User Image

Yvette wandered quietly into their first History of Magic class and found her seat quietly, watching the Professor as he began to speak. He was a bit abrupt and harsh, but it was nothing that she couldn't handle. She'd just have to mind her manners, and that wasn't usually a problem for her. Taking notes busily, she was fascinated by the history of the muggle witch burnings. What had caused the muggles to become so afraid of witches that they would even burn their own kind out of superstition. Frowning a bit, she write this question down on the corner of her parchment for further analysis when she was writing her essay.

User Image

x-Phoenix Phyre-x

Obsessive Bibliophile

9,800 Points
  • Gender Swap 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Millionaire 200

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:28 pm
User Image
                                                    Do you really wanna be like them?
                                                      Do you really wanna be another trend?
                                                        Do you wanna be part of that crowd?
                                                          Cause I don't ever wanna
                                                            I don't ever wanna be

User Image

Luke blinked as he looked inside the classroom. Nope, that wasn't his imagination. Just what was he doing in Hogwarts anyway? Frowning, he entered the classroom. It was a good thing that Steffi wasn't here, otherwise he was sure the one-eyed girl would stab the guy. Heck, he'd be tempted to stab him, but that would just get messy. He sat at a desk, suddenly glad that of all the orphans he knew, the others did have some magical lineage. When the 'professor' started speaking, Luke snorted. Really? Laziness, rudeness, and ignorance? What? Suddenly Hogwarts was a breeding ground for that behavior? He smirked. This was going to be fun, and he was going to die for it. However, he never could pass up this opportunity. Just a little 'retribution' for the past summer. Might as well start from where his tormenter learned it, right? He waited for the professor to finish with the lecture before opening his mouth. "Sir, just what constitutes laziness, rudeness, or ignorance in your book? After all, if we don't know, how are we supposed to avoid that sort of thing? For example, what would be ignorance? Is not knowing the material until you taught it ignorance, or is it just not knowing the material? And rudeness? What do you classify as rude? I mean, different cultures have varying descriptions on what's rude. You could offend someone without realizing it yourself." Yep, he was so dead. However, he knew better than to insult the guy in Norwegian. After all, the guy also understood it too.

User Image
State: Annoying
OOC: ...

You, don't wanna be just like youxxx
What I'm sayin' isxxxxx
This is the anthemxxxxxxx
Throw all your hands upxxxxxxxxx
You, don't wanna be youxxxxxxxxxxx

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 8:09 pm
User Image

✿ Autumn Henrick ✿

Hufflepuff || Second Year

Autumn didn't really like the professor, but he was there to teach, so... She couldn't really complain now, could she? But the homework, a fifteen-inch paper, was it length-wise, or stack of paper-wise? The former might be too short, and the later too ridiculous. How many pages would that be? Maybe a thousand or so? A subject so gruesome, Autumn didn't really like to spend so much time on it. Plus, handwritten, it would take maybe years to just finish this one assignment. Fifteen inch length it is!

It's okay to be scared. Just don't let those fears hold back your dreams.

Utsuha Moon

Crew

Sparkly Lunatic

21,075 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Grunny Harvester 150
  • Object of Affection 150

murruelecreuset
Crew

Beloved Vampire

9,900 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • Waffles! 25
  • Team Jacob 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 9:30 pm
User Image

User ImageUser ImageLocation: History of Magic (Wednesday - 9:00am to 9:45am)

David went to history class for the first time that year after going to it the week before and finding it was cancelled. Professor Powell was in the hospital wing and much like Steffi and Jacob they were out cold. If only they knew the reason behind it. Secretly David worried about his house mates however he couldn’t show it as they weren’t really his friends. Not that he tried to hide the he was concerned. Taking a seat in the back like usual he wasn’t expecting such a jerk for a professor. ‘Who does this guy think he is…?’ David thought. Luckily his thoughts were in his head and not out loud.

It took everything David had not to say anything in class as he quickly went to taking notes. This note taking seemed to stop him from opening his mouth when it wasn’t needed. However Luke just had to open his mouth. ‘That would be his definition of ignorance…’ David thought rolling his eyes. That was it they were going to lose points all because of that jerk in their house. At the end of class he groaned quietly to himself at the word homework. He groaned even more from the words following it. ‘Why such a long report…?’ he wondered whining to himself. Sadly nothing would change and he didn’t want to lose points just because he didn’t do his homework.

With: History class

List of Knowledge: Progress

OOC: ---

User Image
Ashton the Barn Owl

PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:29 pm
User Image

User Image

Agnar was about to turn away from the students when he heard a voice with a distinctly peculiar accent, one that was definitely English, but held a hint of Norwegian as well. Oh, he recognized that voice. How the piece of filth managed to get into Hogwarts was a mystery. He counted to ten in his head, turning as he did so to look over the glasses on his face at the red-haired boy. A very familiar red-haired boy. A smirk graced the older man's lips, devoid of anything but malice.

"Vel vel, snakker den litt gjørmeblod opp. Jeg forventer at du vil ønske for meg å be om unnskyldning? Eller kanskje fornærme meg i en fryktelig måte? Å, jeg vet, kanskje du ønsker å ydmyke meg og gjør meg ulykkelig, hmm? La meg gjøre dette veldig klart for deg, skitt. Jeg bryr meg ikke hva du tror. Jeg bryr meg ikke om deg. Du kan slippe døde, og jeg ville ikke gråte en tåre. Du synes å være i min datters familie kommer til å redde deg? Det vil ikke. Før ville jeg kutte deg ut som en angrepet av koldbrann sår enn tillate deg å forgifte min familie. Du vil enten holde kjeft, eller jeg skal sørge for at du aldri vil passere denne klassen og bli kastet ut av denne skolen for godt. Du hører ikke hjemme her, så slutt å oppføre deg som om du gjør. Førti poeng fra Griffing, og jeg skal se deg for fengsling, du stykke ekskrementer."

State: Hard
OOC: Translation: Well well, the little mudblood speaks up. I expect you'll wish for me to apologize? Or perhaps insult me in a horrible way? Oh, I know, perhaps you wish to humiliate me and make me miserable, hmm? Let me make this very clear to you, filth. I do not care what you think. I do not care about you. You could drop dead and I wouldn't cry a tear. You think being in my daughter's family is going to save you? It will not. I would sooner cut you out like a gangrenous wound than allow you to poison my family. You will either shut up, or I shall ensure you will never pass this class and get kicked out of this school for good. You do not belong here, so stop acting as though you do. Forty points from Gryffindor, and I shall see you for detention, you piece of excrement.

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100

Yukina101
Crew

Surefire Codger

13,950 Points
  • Vocalizing Hisser 25
  • Hellraiser 500
  • Friend of the Goat 100
PostPosted: Wed Aug 21, 2013 11:57 pm
Well I woke up to the sound of silence
And cries were cutting like knives in a fist fight
And I found you with a bottle of wine
Your head in the curtains
And heart like the Fourth of July

User ImageUser Image
Unwanted OriginsTaken by Bradley♪ Musical Magician♫Hufflepuff ☠ BeaterLionel

Tobi had been sprinting down the hallway in a mad dash to get to History at least before the class was over. It would be his luck that the week that he thought they wouldn't have class they would with him nearly halfway across the bloody castle! He arrived just in time to see this creepy old codger stand in the front of the room telling them about their homework. He rolled his eyes and copied down the general gist of the assignement before seeing Luke make his normal snappy comments. However for some reason or other it seemed different...more personal he supposed. Then things became worse when the guy responded back in the same language his friend was known for saying making the air on the back of his neck stand. He had no idea what on Earth was being said but he could practically see the malicious intent behind it."I may not know what language ya speakin', but I know enough to realize we me or my mates ain't wanted." Without thinking Tobi stood with his backpack still in hand and grabbed a hold of Luke speaking softly about possible pranks to play on the old fart and walked out the classroom.

If you're lost and alone
Or you're sinking like a stone
Carry on
May your past be the sound
Of your feet upon the ground
Carry on

Carry on, carry on

PostPosted: Fri Aug 23, 2013 6:27 pm
User Image

xxxxxxx_____________________________________

xxxxxxx Photographer || Half Blood || Taken by Tobi
xxxxxxx_____________________________________

had been on time for class and had sat here quietly as he waited for Tobi to arrive. At nearly the end of class, Tobi finally showed up and almost immediately after started shouting at the Professor. Bradley knew what would happen next, so he began to rapidly pack his things. Corking his ink well and sticking his quills back in his bag he saw Tobi grab Luke and storm out. Shoving his parchment in his bag he turned flung his bag over his shoulders. "Wait up Tobi!" he called as he ran out of the door. The boy did not like the idea of skipping out on a class, but this professor made him uneasy and he could not get away fast enough. I hope I don't get detention... Mum and Dad will kill me... Yes that was all that ran through his mind as he ran after his boyfriend, but it was understandable thoughts, seeing as both his parents where Professors at the school. He, unlike most students, would not just be in detention or lost house points, his punishment could be his parents holding him from going to Hogsmeade and even keep him in his room all summer long.

Seems like there's always someone who disapproves
They'll judge it like they know about me and you
And the verdict comes from those with nothing else to do
The jury's out, but my choice is you
So don't you worry your pretty little mind
People throw rocks at things that shine
And life makes love look hard
The stakes are high, the water's rough
But this love is ours

Sir Spazalots

Fashionable Lover

Diamond Wales

Captain

Shameless Dreamer

19,800 Points
  • Rufus' Gratitude 100
  • Team Jacob 100
  • Married 100
PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:15 pm
User Image
User Image

Now where did I put that wand?

Grayson lowered his book as students started to enter the class. He looked over them all, curious as to how they would take the class. On one hand, there were those that found the class to be quite boring, and on the other hand, there were those that found, like himself, that history was full of intrigue, if they looked through it properly. At least that was how he viewed it. More than likely, the majority would find this class boring and move on, but he hoped that there were a few that he'd be able spark a bit of interest in the subject.

He stood, placing the book he'd been reading down.
"Hello class, and welcome back to History of Magic. As you all have had an entire summer to empty your heads of all that you may have learned over the last year, as well as give me a good chance to refresh your knowledge, today we will review what you have learned in the subject over the last year, before we go on to this year's topics. Please answer one at a time, and only cover one topic. That way, we can hopefully get everyone's participation in the class."

State: Teaching
OOC: ...

Third Year Classes

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 14 15 16 17 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items