Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Cadian IG Restoration/Tallarn Conversion Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:18 am
DarkElf27
Wodzu
Now to make a form of this heads, and replicate them for another minis smile
I'm going to wait to make casts of these until I've done the next batch. The emblems are very thick on the front of the head because they were attached after the whole band was sculpted. Next time, I'll attach the emblem directly to the head, and then sculpt the band from the edges, and hopefully it won't stick out as much.

What do You use for scultping ?  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:25 am
Wodzu
DarkElf27
Wodzu
Now to make a form of this heads, and replicate them for another minis smile
I'm going to wait to make casts of these until I've done the next batch. The emblems are very thick on the front of the head because they were attached after the whole band was sculpted. Next time, I'll attach the emblem directly to the head, and then sculpt the band from the edges, and hopefully it won't stick out as much.

What do You use for scultping ?
Right now, greenstuff, but I'm getting very sick of the ridiculously long cure time on it, where it takes days to harden to the point of not being susceptible to mooshing (technical term there). I've got some milliput en route that I'll be playing with.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 10:36 am
DarkElf27
Right now, greenstuff, but I'm getting very sick of the ridiculously long cure time on it, where it takes days to harden to the point of not being susceptible to mooshing (technical term there). I've got some milliput en route that I'll be playing with.

Ah yes, GS. And what tool do You use. I was always using my little knife which i also use to remove additional stuff on parts, or to remove parts from bits.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:07 am
Wodzu
DarkElf27

Ah yes, GS. And what tool do You use. I was always using my little knife which i also use to remove additional stuff on parts, or to remove parts from bits.
Oh! A combination of a modeling knife and a machinist's scribe, mostly the latter. Very good for fabric folds and "pinning" a flat bit of putty to a surface.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 11:34 am
DarkElf27
Wodzu
DarkElf27

Oh! A combination of a modeling knife and a machinist's scribe, mostly the latter. Very good for fabric folds and "pinning" a flat bit of putty to a surface.

Ohh, nice thingy. When i'll dive into sculpting, i have to make myself one of those.

But for now i have to buy new brush - my old one is totaly bald, it won't ven work as drybrush sad .

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show. got of this, and i think ill buy another one. Natural hair leaves realy smoth lines i'd say smile  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 12:58 pm
Wodzu
Sorry to drag this offtopic, but is it better than the brushes GW has?  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Wodzu

Aged Hunter

4,250 Points
  • Dressed Up 200
  • PvP 200
  • Partygoer 500
PostPosted: Tue Mar 19, 2013 1:41 pm
Vikki Keeler
Wodzu
Sorry to drag this offtopic, but is it better than the brushes GW has?

Hmm.. Not sure tbh. Friend from the shop where i'm buying told me that those brushes are quite good ,and he uses them personally.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:53 am
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
I like where this is going, can't wait to see a fully painted squad!
I'll be attaching the heads tonight, and then priming them with Desert Tan. 3nodding
I will be expecting results soon then. wink  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:46 am
Results, you ask?

Fully assembled squad. Going to be very pic-heavy!

User Image

Sergeant (front and back)
User ImageUser Image

Grenade launcher, voxer, Catachan-converted head guy
User Image
User Image
User Image

The rest of the squad
User ImageUser Image
User ImageUser Image

PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 10:57 am
If I might nitpick, I'd GS the cape on the sergeant onto the straps of his armour, right now it just looks stuck on.

I'd also maybe bulk out the neck of the voxer a wee bit.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Wed Mar 20, 2013 12:17 pm
Vikki Keeler
If I might nitpick, I'd GS the cape on the sergeant onto the straps of his armour, right now it just looks stuck on.

I'd also maybe bulk out the neck of the voxer a wee bit.
Just got my milliput in, so I might be able to touch up the cape a bit. The neck on the voxer doesn't look so stark on the mini, I think it was a funny photo angle.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 8:25 am
Still painting the above squad, but here's a question. The Tallarn portion of the IG codex mentions off-hand that their rank is indicated by the color of a sash they wear. For the basic troopers, I'm going to make the waist-sash white, to match their shemagh, but what colors should I do for the other ranks (sergeant, platoon officer, company officer)?  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2013 2:59 pm
DarkElf27
Still painting the above squad, but here's a question. The Tallarn portion of the IG codex mentions off-hand that their rank is indicated by the color of a sash they wear. For the basic troopers, I'm going to make the waist-sash white, to match their shemagh, but what colors should I do for the other ranks (sergeant, platoon officer, company officer)?
White - blue - yellow - red?  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 01, 2013 9:53 am
Vikki Keeler
DarkElf27
White - blue - yellow - red?
The classic primary colors, aye? I think I want to use green in there somewhere, because I know it has Arabic significance.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:26 pm
Penny update, but here's a peek at the camo theme I'm using for my Griffon.

User Image  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces