Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Sisters of Battle... because I've been brainwashed x.x;; Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:22 pm
These are the magnets I used. They are approximately 3/32" in diameter, and in this case, there are eight. 2 for the turret itself, and six more for three sets of weapons. Keeping hold of them this way, and attached to a metal rod or file ensures that you know what polar sides are what, and that you don't lose track of any during this process.

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:33 pm
This next part is time consuming, so sit down some place comfortable and put on a good show, because it will get old fast. taking yoru pin vice with the 3/32" drill bit, drill a hole as close to center on your pilot hole as you can get. you will create a divot fairly quickly, but you need to keep drilling until you have a hole deep enough to insert the maget into so that it creates a flat even surface. Do this to both sides, and superglue one magnet to each side.

User Image  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:48 pm
Since there are three sets of weapons, the next steps are going to have to be repeated 3 times.

Take two magnets from your stack of magnets (one magnet for each matching weapon set) and put them on the magnets of the turret you just glued down into their holes. They will naturally attract to the correct side. It looks like its sticking out in this picture, but those are just the magnets.

User Image

Next, grab the correctly positioned weapon, place a dot of glue inside the hole, and place the weapon over the magnet, and press it down unti it is flush with the turret. holding it for 30 seconds or so will allow the bonds of glue to attach the magnet to the inside of the hole in the weapon, allowing you to slide the now magnetized weapon off of the turret.

User Image

User Image

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 2:51 pm
Repeat the process until you have all three sets magnetized, by first putting a new magnet on each side of the turret to check for correct polarization, gluing, and sliding off the weapons.

All in all, the process probably took about 2 hours, most of the time taken up in drilling out the turret holes.

User Image  

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 3:06 pm
Update on Rhinommolator #2: Got a base coat on it today. Healthy layer of chaos black, but you can still see some of the dings. Not sure if I should repaint it, use plastic filler to make the surface flatter, or paint the whole tank to make it seem a bit more dinged up... But all in all, its a good refurb, i think. Maybe its all the new spiffy parts.

Here it is, however, nekkid, in all its crappy glory!

User Image  
PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2013 4:49 pm
Nifty, thanks a lot for the tutorial.

That place though, I wouldn't be able to buy from them cause I don't have a paypal and my bank would freak out if I tried to wire them money, they get a little uppity if I'm sending money to some other country for some reason...

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:49 am
Volan d Vol
Nifty, thanks a lot for the tutorial.

That place though, I wouldn't be able to buy from them cause I don't have a paypal and my bank would freak out if I tried to wire them money, they get a little uppity if I'm sending money to some other country for some reason...

There should be an opportunity for you to use a debit or credit card -through- paypal instead of getting an account. Its usually an option just below "do you have a paypal account"  
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:55 am
Hmm...I only got the two options of paypal and money wire. Well it's nothing to worry about right now anyways. I have much more pressing things to worry about, but thanks again for the tips.  

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 1:58 am
Volan d Vol
Hmm...I only got the two options of paypal and money wire. Well it's nothing to worry about right now anyways. I have much more pressing things to worry about, but thanks again for the tips.

Oh youre welcome. For metric sizes, its 3x1mm sized magnets, and they are easily searchable on Google or bing. However, I did take the liberty of searching for a website that has them in dollars if you are in the United States.

for your reference, of whenever you want it

http://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-100pcs-3x1mm-Super-Strong-Disc-Rare-Earth-Neodymium-Magnets-N35-p-39779.html  
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:01 am
Good stuff, I'm an US resident so American dollars works good.  

Br0metheus

Invisible Lunatic

7,800 Points
  • Peoplewatcher 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Entrepreneur 150

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2013 2:07 am
Volan d Vol

We're US residents, too.. ^^; In fact... I might get some of these myself.  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 2:44 pm
ArletaMagic
Volan d Vol

There's a difference between citizens and residents. wink  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

ArletaMagic

Hygienic Fairy

10,800 Points
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Brandisher 100
  • Flatterer 200
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 4:55 pm
DarkElf27
ArletaMagic
Volan d Vol

There's a difference between citizens and residents. wink

You wanna get technical, husband mine? We own property in the US, have a US address now, and a US billing address we still use.... ^^  
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 5:35 pm
I think you should keep the Rhino body dinged up, and just model rust patches or something around them; I think it would make it look like a combat veteran, or even a Space Marine Rhino that got recovered, rebuilt, and reconsecrated for the Ecclesiarchy.

I know what you mean with the pin vice too; I've had my hands almost cramp up using one of those. So glad I got an electric drill.  

notmuch_23

Lonely Conventioneer

17,525 Points
  • Partygoer 500
  • Marathon 300
  • Conventioneer 300
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers