Welcome to Gaia! ::

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Back to Guilds

Join vegetarians and supporters for discussion on health, cooking, and ethical issues! 

Tags: Food, Vegan, Vegetarian, Animal, Cooking 

Reply Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians
Different Types of Vegetarianism! Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

MoonJeli

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 2:28 pm
I'm vegan. I've been a vegetarian since I was 15, I'm now 26. I've been vegan for a month. It was easy to go completely vegetarian, but it's very hard for me to stick to the vegan diet (low willpower?).

I have one mate who is vegan, and one who is an omnivore (or panivore... she eats practically ANYTHING, heh... including bugs) but since she lives in the same house as us veg*ns doesn't eat meat very often -- only when we go out.

I approve of anyone eating less animal products in their diet for health and animals and the environment, even if it's a meat-eater eating meat less often!

However, I do not approve of people who "eat fish occassionally" or "have some meat once in a while" calling themselves vegan or vegetarian. It dilutes the meaning for the rest of us. I don't mind when they have their own words, like pescatarian (like one of my mate's dad) or freegan.

DreamerSpirit
I'm lacto-ovo, though I'm slowly moving away from it.

Over the summer I gave up butter and ice cream, which really wasn't too difficult. One thing I'm weaning myself off of is cheese. I must admit, it's my guilty pleasure. I used to visit a local wine shop once or twice a week to get some really good imported cheeses, but now I'm down to twice a month. If anyone could help with this situation, I'd appreciate it if anyone knew of any decent vegan cheeses. Most of the ones I've tried are rather acidic and kind of gross...

The same as with DreamerSpirit, it's the cheese that's hardest for me.

As for brands, I use Vegan Gourmet Mozzarella on pizzas, and it's very tasty, but I can't stand it cold. It has to be melted onto something. I eat some sort of vegan singles on sandwiches, but it tastes like processed cheese (ala "American" cheese). Okay when combined with other flavors but nasty plain. I'm going to try the Vegan Gourmet cheddar for nachos soon.

Also there is something in the freezer that is vegetarian (not vegan) that no one else will eat (everyone hates it except me) unless I do, so it'll go to waste. It's been in there a month and a half. It'll get freezer-burned soon. Should I eat it? It's a moral quandry for me. Can I eat it and still call myself vegan? I would never eat something that was MEAT and going to waste. So I don't know.

no!an
ffffff10
I don't count pescetarians and pollotarians as vegetarians.

They're still killing and eating dead animals.

but less so than others, and most of us arent doing the actual killing, and sometimes we arent under the right circumstances to be full on vegetarians besides that's why we have our own name. we are p-e-s-c-e-t-a-r-i-a-n-s, not v-e-g-e-t-a-r-i-a-n-s.

I do not believe they are vegetarians -- but I do believe they are a step in the right direction. So I get irritated when they call themselves vegetarians (some do, which makes it so that lots of people ask me, vegan, "but do you eat fish?"), but I applaud their lifestyle.

Kudos to anyone anywhere who eats less animal products, even if it's just to cut dairy, or just to cut pork, etc.

Even if it saves one cow or pig or whatever it's worth it.

Ms. Stress
WanderingNomad
Ms. Stress
...but ice cream is my downfall...

I totally agree, Ice Cream is like the "food of the gods," sent straight from heaven! But..............I discovered something that was so freakin' good, that it made my toes curl! Literally! And that's Tofu Ice Cream.

They make it in gallons and even Ice Cream Sandwiches (mint, strawberry, vanilla, etc.) Honestly, you cannot tell the difference between this and "real" Ice Cream, because tofu actually has not taste whatsoever. It "absorbs" surrounding flavors. That's why it can be used in Lasagna, Shakes, Soups, just about anything really.

One benefit though is Tofu Ice Cream has less fat, and slightly more protein than regular ice cream. Some have slightly higher sugar content, and others have less. That's just something to check out.
*snip*

biggrin

Oo sounds cool biggrin
I'll have to try it sometime, when I'm feeling daring :0

Don't have to be brave -- it's SOoOOOOoooOO tasty. There are rice and soy (tofu) versions. Rice Dream, Soy Dream, Soy Delicious, So Delicious, and Tofutti are some of the brands. You can find them at your local health food store and even some regular stores now.

Now, I disagree that they taste EXACTLY like ice cream. If you've just recently eaten ice cream you'll notice the difference. But for me, at least, they're tasty enough to totally replace ice cream in my diet. In fact -- I like them better!!

They come in all flavors too, like chocolate, mint, vegan rocky road (no gelatin!), fruit, etc.

One of my favorites is Celestial Seasonings brand white tea and peach. Nom nom nom.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 11:07 pm
I see that these aren't all the types of vegetarianism (because you said we could add more) but does anybody know where I can find ALL the different types?  

collapsiblbunny

Ghost Suit

Dapper Phantom

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 9:29 pm
I'm a vegan...my friend is a Pescetarian, but I dunno. To me, fish is meat/animal, it feels pain etc. I've always thought that and eating chicken could still count as being veg...I don't agree with that confused  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 3:52 pm
I'm ovo-lacto. I know quite a few people who are pescaterians though.  

Felse

Tofu Vampire

PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 10:47 am
i am a vegan! (well i already new that)  
PostPosted: Wed Nov 22, 2006 11:50 am
I've never missed cheese... I like hummous & tofu much better anyway.

The really hard part about being vegan is passing 30 bakeries on my way to school every day. I love cakes and pastries, but I can't afford to eat as much of the vegan ones as I'd like to, and I'm too lazy to bake stuff just for myself gonk  

Croissant XXX

Mr. Samigina

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 12:25 am
I don't fit into any of those categories. I will eat an egg- based product If It's going to waste, don't eat eggs themselves, don't drink milk and only eat cheese or have milk products when I go out somewhere but try to avoid It when I can.

I usally consume organic stuff when I can. I also don't eat any meat, including fish, etc.

I guess that makes me a um, supa cool. *flips shiny, long silky hair* domokun  
PostPosted: Mon Nov 27, 2006 6:08 pm
oh i've been living a lie all this time i thought i was one thing but it turns out i'm another,that is to say a freegan(what a spiffy word to say poor vegietarian!) but i'll have to continue under the guise of a vegietarian just so people know what i'm talking about mrgreen also i congragulate anyone who trys to cut any sort of animal(product) out of their life any little bit helps...............but do you think you could try a little bit harder sweatdrop please and thank you!  

free of charge

Salem Retold

PostPosted: Thu Nov 30, 2006 12:38 pm
I'm a straight up vegan.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 21, 2006 10:01 am
go vegan power!! biggrin  

cass769

xBSJGx

Liberal Gaian

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:55 am
Well, I want to be vegetarian.
I haven't told my mom. I dont know if she will actually buy what I need.
I know what I need to eat.
I actually got to ptea2.com and read the list of foods I can eat.
I just try to use my own money for that.
But when she cook meat I ttry not to eat it, and sometimes I dont.
When I get in college I can work on that.
And work my way to vegan also. stare  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 9:09 pm
I'm a vegan. I've only been a vegan for aout five years, but I really enjoy it. I feel increased mental clarity and pysical benefits.  

FaitoKuro

Menarchemon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 09, 2007 3:59 pm
Andy-Christ
oh i've been living a lie all this time i thought i was one thing but it turns out i'm another,that is to say a freegan(what a spiffy word to say poor vegietarian!) but i'll have to continue under the guise of a vegietarian just so people know what i'm talking about mrgreen also i congragulate anyone who trys to cut any sort of animal(product) out of their life any little bit helps...............but do you think you could try a little bit harder sweatdrop please and thank you!

i've read about freegans. very interestiing stuff. you go dumpster diving and such?

oh, and um, vegan for a year, veg for 5 before etcz. and it took me awhile to go vegan, i ended up just waking up one day and deciding. very sudden stuff.

coulda just read 'the way we eat'. it helps.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2007 5:21 pm
I'm a Pescetarian  

[moon-pixie]

Guild of Vegans and Vegetarians

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 11 12 13 14 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out