Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply PathWays
Asatru a la Deoridhe Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 9:07 pm
Deoridhe

I think those three together give a solid understanding, but nothing beats hearing the original. Nothing. It's a completely different form of poetry that I roundly fail at.
Do you feel that modern retellings can do them justice?

(Different from translation in that they have no design on keeping the structure, but instead the guts of the story?)  
PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:05 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I think those three together give a solid understanding, but nothing beats hearing the original. Nothing. It's a completely different form of poetry that I roundly fail at.

Do you feel that modern retellings can do them justice?

(Different from translation in that they have no design on keeping the structure, but instead the guts of the story?)

Sometimes I've hit a retelling which just seems to resonate - like having a harp next to a singing bowl and having the bowl trigger the harp to vibrate and sing along. I've had a similar experience with some stories from different traditions, though; a lot of the shapeshifting things I read about put my previous pathwalking into a new perspective, for example.

I don't think most modern retellings are trying to do them justice, though, and so that hampers their ability to do so.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 8:22 am
Deoridhe

Sometimes I've hit a retelling which just seems to resonate - like having a harp next to a singing bowl and having the bowl trigger the harp to vibrate and sing along. I've had a similar experience with some stories from different traditions, though; a lot of the shapeshifting things I read about put my previous pathwalking into a new perspective, for example.

I don't think most modern retellings are trying to do them justice, though, and so that hampers their ability to do so.
Fair enough.

While I do have copies of most of the Norse source texts- I personally favor "accurate modern retellings".

Largely because many of the myths have a casual boasting feeling to them. My UPG for sure- but I can't help but see Loki with a horn of mead bragging about the "great adventure" that came from Thor loosing his hammer.

I'm sure when he tells it he swishes his hips and makes girly voices for Freya and the like.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:16 am
Moving this here so as to not derail Puppy-kun's thread.

TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
Runes avoid that because the presumption is they have to be blooded to "activate" them.

Interesting... without side tracking Reagun's thread- I thought intonation worked as well, and as a result, there could be a problem with scribing runes- especially if the letters themselves were put on a stave together.

In the lore, when runes are seen to act as spells, they have been blooded or somehow laid in a manner set down as different from regular writing.

In my experience, I've had bindrunes that I simply intended to use as spells act and I've had bindrunes of a specific purpose act in a manner different from the one I intended. I have also bound runes representitavely, with that being the goal; my namerune is one example, and the stave for my best friend is another. While I have used the runes that make up our names divinatorily or interpretively, I have never ment them as or thought of them as spells. So far as I know, they have not acted thus either.

In my practice with energy work, I've found myself almost inadvertantly incorporating runes and runic concepts. The most common example is a "laying" or "writing" of elhaz after emergency vehicles and on walls when sheilding (and once on the car I was in when driving in adverse circumstances). I have no easy gague for how well or effectively that works; it's more a self-reinforcing thing.

I have no idea how much or little of my personal practice is historically accurate.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 8:11 pm
That's interesting Deo.

So- what is your opinion of intonation and the Elder Futhark?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 11:10 pm
TeaDidikai
That's interesting Deo.

So- what is your opinion of intonation and the Elder Futhark?

Do you mean galdr - that is chanting them? I've not done much with it; I can't help but feel incredibly silly changing, "Ingwaz... ingwaz... ingwaz..." over and over again. sweatdrop

I have considered putting them to music. I do, also, want to write a pontoun of interwoven runic lines. So far the inspiration just hasn't clicked in, y'know? I need to get back into the "poem every few days" kick, though.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 8:26 pm
Deoridhe

Do you mean galdr - that is chanting them? I've not done much with it; I can't help but feel incredibly silly changing, "Ingwaz... ingwaz... ingwaz..." over and over again. sweatdrop
Why is it silly? It doesn't compute. sweatdrop

I mean, how silly is Om? For that matter- How silly is a fart? If your body can make the sound of a fart, I see no reason the body shouldn't be used to make the sound of a universal mystery. [/friendly encouragement].  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 10:17 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

Why is it silly? It doesn't compute. sweatdrop

I mean, how silly is Om? For that matter- How silly is a fart? If your body can make the sound of a fart, I see no reason the body shouldn't be used to make the sound of a universal mystery. [/friendly encouragement].

Ur... I don't know, it just seems really silly. I'll have to unpack that.

And farts are very silly; so are burps.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:24 pm
Deoridhe

Ur... I don't know, it just seems really silly. I'll have to unpack that.

And farts are very silly; so are burps.
Who knows- maybe some of these mysteries are supposed to sound funny. twisted

I have this great image of Loki saying "Yeah! Sure- you just chant this sound lots... ~snicker~ and s**t happens... ~chucklechuckle~  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 6:53 pm
Deo in another thread

I have one experience with a deity who I have been unable to name, though, and I keep wondering if I'll meet her later on and that will change a lot. I think I met her again while at Tea's, just briefly.
Oh? Do tell! Do tell!  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Jan 07, 2007 8:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Deo in another thread
I have one experience with a deity who I have been unable to name, though, and I keep wondering if I'll meet her later on and that will change a lot. I think I met her again while at Tea's, just briefly.

Oh? Do tell! Do tell!

Heee heee. Thread surfing. Jumping from branch to branch, carrying messages.

When I was around fourteen, my cousin was born the day before my birthday. My Aunt was very, very, very sick (almost died) and J was premature by quite a lot. All of her systems kept failing, she was on an incredible amount of life support, so was her mom, and it really looked like we were going to lose one or both of them. To give you an idea of the severity, I was told that every single system in her body failed at least once the week after she was born. They thought they could keep her alive, but there was a high probability it would be without an organ or two.

I couldn't stop thinking about them, and in particular the cousin I had never met and might never meet. I hadn't prayed in a while, but this night I did, sending out a call to whoever would hear that all I wanted, the thing I wanted most in the world, was for my cousin to be ok and live and be healthy.

Suddenly I felt this incredible warmth and this female presence (which was new, the previous incorporeal I dealt with was male and very much of my making) and the feeling I got - no words - was that she would be fine, and I should relax because both she and I were being taken care of.

A half hour later my mom came in to see if I was still awake. She'd gotten a call; J had finally stabilized and was going to be fine. She would have no long lasting problems, she was healthy, and it looked like my aunt would be all right as well.

It was the first real prayer I had ever made. I have yet to make a call like that again; in fact these days I usually target a deity specifically with offerings meant for him or her. Honestly, that's the only time I've had something I wanted that much.

Anyway, for a long time I've been trying to figure out who it was. Saga seemed like the most likely, but as I grew to know her better it just didn't feel right. They felt similar, similar enough to be fast friends, but not like the same person at all. So it's sort of a questionmark for me.

At your place, I had a brief little something after Wing gave me the Dublin and Tara stones. I kept getting this picture of a really pretty place when I touched the Tara stone, and I thought it might be a nice to nap there, like I nap in the roots of Yggdrasil. I was dropping off to sleep when I suddenly got this feeling of warmth, and someone female said something in a language I didn't understand, and I got the distinct feeling it was a "no, this is a bad idea; go sleep where your body is" or something of the like. So I listened, headed back "home" and slept there.

I've been thinking about it since, and realized the two presences felt similar. I don't know if "the same" applies, it's been a long breadth of time in between, but definitely similar.

It likely means nothing, but there you go. A few more marks on the stone that is me. XD  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 7:01 pm
What do you think of the Asjor? (Am I spelling that correctly?)  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 11, 2007 8:31 pm
TeaDidikai

I'm not sure what you're talking about.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2007 9:35 pm
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

Dollars to doughnuts I'm spelling it incorrectly.

The name of the group of "24(?) Goddesses of AEsguard"?  

TeaDidikai

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Fri Jan 19, 2007 9:41 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe
TeaDidikai

Dollars to doughnuts I'm spelling it incorrectly.

The name of the group of "24(?) Goddesses of AEsguard"?

Asjungr, maybe? I've run across them mentioned by a few people, but the gender implications bother me a bit. I don't like systems that divide deities by a single characteristic. I've no idea how historically valid it is, either.  
PathWays

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 19 20 21 22 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff