Welcome to Gaia! ::

~Down the Rabbit Hole~ An Alice in Wonderland guild

Back to Guilds

This guild is for anyone who loves anything to do with Alice in Wonderland, be it the movies, books, or spinoffs. 

Tags: alice, wonderland, mad hatter, rabbit, hearts 

Reply The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)
Disney's Alice in Wonderland Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Do you like the movie?
  Yes of course!
  No.
  Its a bit strange...
  Why do you ask so many questions?
  I like gold.
View Results

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 11:35 am
~Advice from a Caterpillar~

I recently bought Beauty and the Beast too! (It was actually the first movie I ever saw at a cinema.) I'd never watched the extended edition before... I actually thought the extra scene and song was rather good; it added more to the characters personalities... if that makes any sense. ^_^

I'm quite sure the Wonderlanders do talk differently than people from the real world; well they definitely act... crazier... besides Alice seemed to get quite annoyed every so often.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 6:04 pm
It's awesome, isn't it? XD I have to say, though, I was super SUPER annoyed that they slipped a Romeo and Juliette reference in there. I hate that story and it's unjustified popularity... besides, Beauty and the Beast is it's own love story! Why couldn't they had been reading from another culture's version of Beauty and the Beast or something, just as some sort of a secret, inside joke? It made me want to cry. T^T

*ahem* Er, enough with the ranting... I agree. For some reason I never noticed just how irritated Alice got with Wonderland in general when I was younger, but now that I'm older I've really grown to appreciate the irony of it. I mean, when she's in her own world she waxes poetic about this world of nonsense that she'd so desperately love to be in, but once she gets there, she is almost forced into the position as the voice of reason. XD  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
  • Romantic Fortune Seeker 100
  • Loving Fortune Seeker 250
  • Devoted Fortune Seeker 400

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:30 pm

Hmmm, that's never been my favourite either; infact I prefer Hamlet.. but that may be because I got an A for some coursework I did on it.

I'm guessing Alice just didn't expect a world of nonsense to be quite so chaotic. I mean every character there is insane in some way or another... hmmm; they're all crazy in their own way. Do you think any of the characters in Wonderland are sane? Odd question.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 07, 2010 9:53 pm
Indeed; Hamlet's a far better play... I mean, there's actual character development. Go figure! rolleyes My favorite will forever be Macbeth, though Hamlet's a close second. *buries R&J under heavy rock and whistles innocently*

Ah... I guess not. And you know, that's a good question. I would say... um... no, not really. >_> Maybe I'm just not imaginative, but I can't recall a character that I thought was sane. Well, hold that thought... the Caterpillar is probably pretty sane. I mean... as sane as I'd expect a blue caterpillar to be........... >_______________>  

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 2:46 pm

Yup; though I don't think I've actually ever seen it on stage... I was just going by reading it and a movie.

Well appareantly everyone is mad in Wonderland... well okay in this version 'mostly' everyone is mad according to a certain kitty. I can see what you mean with the Caterpillar; though perhaps his madness is just very different from the others? His personality is pretty strange; and that goes for the original in the book too (I always thought Disney did rather well adpating that scene). Not to mention the Disney version gets angry very easily; more so than than in the book. But yes he is probably more sane than most of the other characters.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 5:46 pm
You're only given a little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it.
Robin Williams

that's my feeling on the subject biggrin  

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:26 pm
@ Azure: Ah, I've only seen it put on once by our local group of college thespians, but it was something else. XD

Yeah, that's a fun thing to think about. I mean, think about if you were the sane one in Wonderland... wouldn't you just have to pretend to be mad to fit in? Or, in a fit of irony, to keep from getting a bit touched yourself? XD Yeah... I think the Disney version did a pretty good job showing the different layers of 'madness'. Of course, the Caterpillar is kinda the voice of reason... I mean, he's the only one that gives Alice 'clear' directions about how to go about fixing her size situation, isn't he? I feel like everyone else just makes a point of not being helpful to poor Alice in the slightest. XD

@ Kim: Haha, awww... I love Robin Williams. ^___^

PostPosted: Mon Nov 08, 2010 7:43 pm

@Kim: Everyone's at least a little mad then. ^_^

@Marchy: Infact yes; out of all the characters the Caterpillar is the only one to give Alice any helpful advice... even if it took a while for him to actually tell her how to change size. That and to keep her temper of course. Though I still think he is somewhat mad in a very odd way.

Azure Caterpillar

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 9:06 am
@Azure - didn't the White Knight help her? or does help actually seperate from actual advice?

seems to me the best people know how to combine the two, especially friends who do both biggrin  
PostPosted: Tue Nov 09, 2010 4:03 pm
Yeah, I feel like that's about right. Oh, the Caterpillar's definitely mad... just not as mad as, say, the Queen of Hearts. She's off her rocker. He seemed more intelligent and impatient with poor little confused Alice then nutso, haha. XD Do you think the Caterpillar thinks he's mad? *dundunDUN*

As for the White Knight... well, he's completely coocoo, haha. XD In my opinion, at least. I mean... he might just kinda be aimless, erratic, and scatterbrained. And he did help her, but it wasn't as... openly helpful as, say, the Caterpillar. I mean, you know he's trying to help... oh, and he does save her from the other knight! XD

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100
PostPosted: Wed Nov 10, 2010 7:29 am
@Lady March Hare

fair enough smile and I'm glad you remembered that he had rescued her from the other Knight - many I've spoken to only remember one side of it --

if this is what to be expected from your fiction, I'm looking forward to enjoying it over a hot cup of tea!  
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:55 pm

@Kim: Well he's from Looking-Glass Land; not Wonderland... but you have a point about that.

@Marchy: I don't think the Caterpillar thinks he himself is mad; infact I doubt any of the Wonderlanders do expect the Cheshire Cat. In the Disney movie the Caterpillar's personality is just so different to the out-right crazy-ness of most of the other characters

Azure Caterpillar

Lady March Hare
Crew

Fanatical Lunatic

29,890 Points
PostPosted: Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:13 pm
@ Kim: Ahhh... I see. Oh... tea! XD

@ Azure: Hmmm... yeah, you're probably right. The issue of madness probably never even crosses their minds, haha... another example of the super ironic side of this story. XD Cheshire Cat exempt, of course. Yeah, I guess it is... he seems to be the most level headed character. You know... until he poofs into a butterfly so as to better pwn. XD

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 11:33 am
@Azure & March - and this is just *one reason* why the stories will live forever and continue to inspire great conversations, to even greater minds 4laugh !  

KimCare

Swashbuckling Bookworm

29,325 Points
  • Friend of the Goat 100
  • Wry Dealer 500
  • Bookworm 100

Azure Caterpillar

PostPosted: Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:32 pm

@Kim: The books were works of pure brillance; Carroll was a genius. And there are so many wonderful adaptations of the books. ^_^

@Marchy: The Cheshire Cat seems to be more aware of the fact Wonderland is kinda... mad; but to Wonderlanders its normal... so does that make the Cheshire Cat quite different to the other inhabitants in that respect? I mean if you know your mad... are you really mad?

However the Caterpillar, although as you said probably less insane than most of them, I doubt regards himself as insane. I do wonder why in the Disney movie when he got angry he decided to metamorphose; then was quite calm again... before Alice asked another question that is. Its such a quick change of attitude.

The Crystal Continuum (The Looking Glass Wars and Other Adaptations)

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games