Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
The semantics of Paganism Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ishtar Shakti

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 1:41 pm
maenad nuri
If you think this is group think rather than people being honestly appalled at what you are saying and the positions you take, then the door is that way and you should watch that it doesn't hit you on the way out.

On the other hand, you could recognize that you are actually getting people who get into bitter arguments with each other together and digest what they are saying.

I don't think a person who is appalled by something would make jokes about it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 3:22 pm
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri
If you think this is group think rather than people being honestly appalled at what you are saying and the positions you take, then the door is that way and you should watch that it doesn't hit you on the way out.

On the other hand, you could recognize that you are actually getting people who get into bitter arguments with each other together and digest what they are saying.

From my perspective, after reading part of this thread, the jokes were made more about the incredulity with which you continue to defend your claim. So, I would think you should be less offended that the jokes were related to rape and more offended that they were more directed at you and your lack of critical thinking.

Also, group think or not, spiritually attacking someone is horrifying. How can you sleep at night? That's like casually remarking on how you stand in the line at the grocery store and whenever someone cuts in front of you, you stab them. I mean, it might only be a 3" knife, you know, they'll heal. They're all good, right? You know, that b***h should've gotten out of your way. Besides, we all want to not judge, and be open-minded which totally means us all accepting that it's your right to stab a b***h in the grocery store who's in your way!

NOT.  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 4:21 pm
Synnthetika
How can you sleep at night? That's like casually remarking on how you stand in the line at the grocery store and whenever someone cuts in front of you, you stab them. I mean, it might only be a 3" knife, you know, they'll heal. They're all good, right? You know, that b***h should've gotten out of your way.
It's a byproduct of Fluff. Moral Relativism allows for you to plug your ears and go "Lalalalalala!" because people pointing out you're being an immoral a*****e is just their opinion.

And by being Willfully Ignorant about the self-defeating nature of Moral Relativism, you allow it to continue.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:42 pm
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

Because if I do something other than make jokes, I am going to be hurling invective at you until you leave or Nuri kicks me out.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:54 pm
Tikat
Recursive Paradox

*shrug*

I can live with that. As long as language is not being used to further systems of oppression, I'm happy, whether we treat the words as lacking value or not. I will argue that some words out there have a definition and accurate meaning that is, in and of itself, racist, cissexist/transphobic, homophobic, classist, ableist or specifically arising from some other axis of marginalization, or a combination.

Those words, where the definitions themselves are marginalizing and damaging (like the word "crazy", the g~ word, or the word "shemale"), are words that ought to be eliminated entirely (except by individuals within the affected groups reclaiming them) because even their accurate usage is damaging to fighting oppression.
I feel it is possible, and even proper to eliminate them from polite speech, but how to does one unmake a word?

One can only eliminate usage, never truly unmake it. Unfortunately those harmful words will always exist, but we can remove them from circulation and from the culture's discourse, allowing more freedom from their damaging influence.

Quote:
You gave three examples.
One I have seen in use by professionals within the psychiatric field.

So? Are professionals within the psychiatric field not capable of furthering oppression and acting in bigoted ways? Further, are professionals within the psychiatric field above their privilege as oppressors and above anti oppression needs for society?

Quote:
One I need clarification on.

G~ is a shortening for the word "gypsy" which is a racial slur for the Rroma people. Much like N~ is a shortening for the word "******", to avoid using them but still reference them indirectly for academic purposes of fighting oppression in language.

Quote:
One I have seen used in a derogatory sense applied to two groups, as well as applied within the field of biology as professional jargon.

So? Is professional jargon in biology incapable of being bigoted, furthering oppression and being damaging to a group? Further, are professionals within the biology field above their privilege as oppressors and above anti oppression needs for society?

Quote:
Would you find it acceptable for aggressive women to reclaim the title?

Aggressive cis women have absolutely no claim to the word "shemale". The word is first and foremost a slur directly fired at trans women. It is used to deface us, used to demean us, used to objectify, degender and other us.

The only group that has any claim on the word "shemale" for reclamation would be trans women. And some have reclaimed it for themselves. Others (like myself) still regard the word as a slur and have not attempted to reclaim it.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 5:56 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

Because if I do something other than make jokes, I am going to be hurling invective at you until you leave or Nuri kicks me out.

This.

I laugh so I don't cry or kill. Laughter keeps the rage and depression at bay that I feel because a spiritual rapist and parasite goes free right now, ready and able to harm others without limit.  

Recursive Paradox

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 7:38 pm
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

This.

I laugh so I don't cry or kill. Laughter keeps the rage and depression at bay that I feel because a spiritual rapist and parasite goes free right now, ready and able to harm others without limit.
What helps me is a belief in repurcussions. Comeuppance. When I'm really mad at someone, I pray that whatever they have coming, they get swiftly, and in just measure.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:07 pm
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

This.

What helps me is a belief in repurcussions. Comeuppance. When I'm really mad at someone, I pray that whatever they have coming, they get swiftly, and in just measure.
Oh I'm doing that. The jokes are just so I don't start a rolling stone of bile that I won't be able to stop until one of us are alienated.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:11 pm
Recursive Paradox
This.

I'm actually bewildered about it. I don't understand how someone can think trying to spiritually harm another is okay and physically harming people not okay.

Her whole stance is basically: me raping other people's souls is justified but me raping other people's body's is just immoral. WTF?  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:12 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

This.

Oh I'm doing that. The jokes are just so I don't start a rolling stone of bile that I won't be able to stop until one of us are alienated.
Hey, I make jokes about the dying. I judge no one for making necessary humour.  

Gho the Girl

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:19 pm
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Ishtar Shakti
maenad nuri

You think wrong.

This.

Justice only comes quickly and harshly if you piss off the right beings. An Etherist has little comfort in a hope of another bringing comeuppance. We often must make our own justice by blood and fire. Ethical vengeance.

Of course, if one has the right barters and pacts, one can achieve much in the way of justice that would not normally be possible.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 8:28 pm
Synnthetika
Recursive Paradox
This.

I'm actually bewildered about it. I don't understand how someone can think trying to spiritually harm another is okay and physically harming people not okay.

Her whole stance is basically: me raping other people's souls is justified but me raping other people's body's is just immoral. WTF?
I really don't see how that works either. How is the spiritual body not as important as the physical body? Though I do find the physical body to be important too. It's just about the only thing I've taken influence from Hellenic religion for.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Tue Dec 29, 2009 10:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika
How can you sleep at night? That's like casually remarking on how you stand in the line at the grocery store and whenever someone cuts in front of you, you stab them. I mean, it might only be a 3" knife, you know, they'll heal. They're all good, right? You know, that b***h should've gotten out of your way.
It's a byproduct of Fluff. Moral Relativism allows for you to plug your ears and go "Lalalalalala!" because people pointing out you're being an immoral a*****e is just their opinion.

And by being Willfully Ignorant about the self-defeating nature of Moral Relativism, you allow it to continue.

How is moral relativism self-defeating? Sorry if it's been covered, I have been following the thread but sometimes the infodump is hard to keep solidified in my mind.  
PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 8:08 am
Bastemhet

How is moral relativism self-defeating? Sorry if it's been covered, I have been following the thread but sometimes the infodump is hard to keep solidified in my mind.
Basically any way you phrase Relativism generates a state where for it to be relative, it has to be equally valid and correct- which of course creates a hole you can drive a Mac Truck through when I point out that relativism isn't true for me. wink  

TeaDidikai

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Wed Dec 30, 2009 10:59 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Basically any way you phrase Relativism generates a state where for it to be relative, it has to be equally valid and correct- which of course creates a hole you can drive a Mac Truck through when I point out that relativism isn't true for me. wink

Ah, ok. That makes sense, thanks.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces