Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Strange experience? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 1:51 pm
Orchidsandfractals
Being new to prayer, I would expect there to be a few errors before my prayer becomes accurate.
There's no reason to hold that view unless you have an underlying issue with the source of the experience. Aka, unless this isn't a real person and is a delusion, there's no reason to suspect that a deity can't address you accurately the first time.
Quote:

I don't think how seeing a Goddess would be a sign to encourage me to be independant, as my mother is religious and I am not. By going back to religion, I relinquish a bit of my independance.
Your understanding of personal autonomy and independence is flawed since you are distancing yourself from your mothers tradition by generating a being that isn't part of her understanding.
Quote:

I can think that my peer is Rroma as she has told me she is,
And this is part of your racism.

At least one individual (read: me) who is part of the culture and external sources provided to you demonstrate she isn't based on her own words.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:07 pm
TeaDidikai
Orchidsandfractals

At least one individual (read: me) who is part of the culture and external sources provided to you demonstrate she isn't based on her own words.

Yikes eek

No one is saying you can't think it. Hell, I can think up any number of thing.

I'm going to think the sky is plaid. I can think it. I can convince myself of it. I can loudly proclaim it.

I would still be wrong, wouldn't I?

No one is trying to deprive you of the right to think something. What people ARE trying to correct is a gross fallacy which, with each passing conversation seems, to my observations, a fallacy which is being clung to out of principle and not out of real reason.

If you're invoking "I can do whatever I want" as a means of supporting your side in a discussion, where does that put you?  

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100

Orchidsandfractals

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:28 pm
TeaDidikai
Orchidsandfractals
Being new to prayer, I would expect there to be a few errors before my prayer becomes accurate.
There's no reason to hold that view unless you have an underlying issue with the source of the experience. Aka, unless this isn't a real person and is a delusion, there's no reason to suspect that a deity can't address you accurately the first time.
Quote:

I don't think how seeing a Goddess would be a sign to encourage me to be independant, as my mother is religious and I am not. By going back to religion, I relinquish a bit of my independance.
Your understanding of personal autonomy and independence is flawed since you are distancing yourself from your mothers tradition by generating a being that isn't part of her understanding.
Quote:

I may not have been in the right mental state to access the Goddess, or I may have also been disillusion during a first attempt at prayer. I do not think I was imagining things during my first dream,though you must remember... This was my first attempt at religious meditiation. It was not very clear. It was very faint. Somehow, I doubt if a diety was not trying to address me at that point in time, and I was doing a feeble attempt at prayer, that it would be as effective as a more carefully refined prayer. I may have been praying "wrongly", or the Goddess may not see fit to tell me her real name at this point in time, or she may have told me her real name and I simply misheard it. However, if you have had different experiances, then please clarify. I would also figure atheism is further from my mother's beliefs than a different neopagan Goddess, but that's just my opinion.

Again, I do not know you are Rroma. You say you are, but as I have no backing from another person who is Rroma, I do not know for certainity if you are. You say that to be Rroma, you must partipate in the culture, and be regonized as such by other Rroma people. I only have your saying that you are Rroma and regonized as such as proof you are. That is the proof I have from my friend. The outside sources provided in this group are seemingly accurate, and I must say, they seem more accurate than what my peer has said, but I cannot be certain you are Rroma. You have also said that it is racist to make a judgement of if someone is a part of a culture without being a part of it yourself. As I am not Rroma, am I racist to either think you're Rroma and my peer is not, or to think you're not Rroma and my friend is? If I am not part of the Rroma culture, and thus cannot know everything about the culture, or be able to judge on it, how can I know your culture's judgement upon it.

The evidence that person "b" is inaccurate is that I do not previously know your accuracy in other matters. If I knew your accuracy in matters not related to the Rroma, I would be better able to make a judgement as to if you or my peer is correct, in my opinion. However, I will presume you are correct due to outside sources.

In regards to the Aryan Nation, I wasn't aware they were currently actively targeting Rroma. They may object to everyone who falls outside of their racist standards, but that doesn't mean they're actively attacking all of them.

Again, in regards to the kilts. I do mention that "a military group may have different rules all together." Is it right for him to wear the tartan of my clan if he is not a member of it? No. But if his miltary group deemed him able to wear a tartan of the group, then yes, he can wear that. I am being very clear, but if you cannot understand that, I am sorry.

Hitler put the Jews in Mein Kamphf, which was out before he was elected. He spoke very openly against the Jews. Yes, the Rroma may have been sent to the death camps at the early time, as were Communists and gays, and Jews sent later, but Hitler certainly had his racist stance against Jews just as early as he had a stance against the Rroma publically made.

I am saying that the Rroma people(your people), did not get a country, rather as Jewish people got Israel in the sense of having a country. If that is inaccurate, please clarify. I do not claim that your people want a specific country, but in terms of reperations, the Jewish people did get a slight one. Your people did not get one.

Romanticism is not a wonderful thing, and it does create false ideals of a culture, but those ideals are not negative. It is sad that people do not accept you as a culture, but Sephardic Jews face the same issue. I've been told many times by peers that all Jews have a parent or grandparent who survived the Holocaust, out of their ignorance. When people say things such as "Well, Israel shouldn't exist since the Holocaust never happened and all Jews want is revenge for something that never happened." and other strange statements, it is rather tricky to explain to people that not all Jewish people had relatives that survived the Holocaust and we want a country for different reasons such as all the discrimination that happened over centuries. It's annoying at worst. If a person doesn't get that I'm Jewish, and they're not Jewish, it's their own choice. They can ask a Rabbi, or ask other Jews as to if I am a Jew, and they can look at research I can give them about who is a Jew and how it relates to me.

The site I linked to discusses Ashkenai Jews and how they still have Middle Eastern DNA. I am a Scottish Jew. World of difference.

I did call Gelite fish Jewish. Jewish is an adjetive used to describe nouns... Gelite fish is Jewish, because it is a food many Jewish people eat, and is seen as a food of them, even if not all Jewish people eat it.

I am in college, and I am sorry you think I am racist. We do have different definitions of what racism is. I am not a racist by my definition. I have already said I am sorry for using a word that offends you. I will not say sorry for questioning your Romani heritage, as I still do not have a clear answer that you, yourself, are Rroma beyond you saying so, which is the justification my friend used. I will say that you are knowledgable about the subject as backed up by outside sources.

Congrats for seeing the documents. You're not supposed to, it's an insult to Judaism. However, I don't really care personally. If it helped you have respect for Judaism, it's good, IMO, though that is not my opinion as a Jew, but my opinion as a person.

And again, my family was forced to leave Scotland. There is a difference between leaving a culture willingly, being kicked out of the culture by your own culture,(Both of which may void your being part of a culture) and being forced to leave due to an invading country(England, in this case.). I am not not a Jew because Jewish people were kicked out of Israel quite a while back!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 2:41 pm
Kuroiban
TeaDidikai
Orchidsandfractals

Yikes eek

I'm going to think the sky is plaid. I can think it. I can convince myself of it. I can loudly proclaim it.

No one is trying to deprive you of the right to think something. What people ARE trying to correct is a gross fallacy which, with each passing conversation seems, to my observations, a fallacy which is being clung to out of principle and not out of real reason.

If you're invoking "I can do whatever I want" as a means of supporting your side in a discussion, where does that put you?

I believe my peer is Rroma as I have no proof from other Rroma people that she is not. That does not mean that she is a very accurate source of information regarding the Rroma culture, and it appears that she well might not be. TeaDidikai does appear to know more about Rroma culture than my peer, but by her own definition of Rroma as being required to be accepted as such by other Rroma, as I have no other Rroma than a person TeaDidikai considers to be inaccurate, I have no absolute proof she is Rroma by her own definition. However, I will accept that she considers herself such(just as my peer does), and is a better information source as backed up by outside data on this topic about her culture. I do not know in all certainity that my peer is not raised in the Rroma culture, esp if I am unable to judge as to who is Rroma or what Rroma culture is without being Rroma myself. Hopefully that makes a little more sense?  

Orchidsandfractals

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:09 pm
Orchidsandfractals
Kuroiban
TeaDidikai
Orchidsandfractals

Yikes eek

I believe my peer is Rroma as I have no proof from other Rroma people that she is not. That does not mean that she is a very accurate source of information regarding the Rroma culture, and it appears that she well might not be. TeaDidikai does appear to know more about Rroma culture than my peer, but by her own definition of Rroma as being required to be accepted as such by other Rroma, as I have no other Rroma than a person TeaDidikai considers to be inaccurate, I have no absolute proof she is Rroma by her own definition. However, I will accept that she considers herself such(just as my peer does), and is a better information source as backed up by outside data on this topic about her culture. I do not know in all certainity that my peer is not raised in the Rroma culture, esp if I am unable to judge as to who is Rroma or what Rroma culture is without being Rroma myself. Hopefully that makes a little more sense?

I understand your reasoning; problem is that it doesn't really work.

Here we come to the bolded part of your quote. To be a part of a culture...well....here I goto my good friend...

dictionary.com
culâ‹…ture
  /ˈkʌltʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhl-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.
Use culture in a Sentence
See web results for culture
See images of culture
–noun
1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
6. Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.
7. Biology.
a. the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc.
b. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.
8. the act or practice of cultivating the soil; tillage.
9. the raising of plants or animals, esp. with a view to their improvement.
10. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.

What your "peer" is doing is eschewing not the politically correct name for his/her supposed people and kin, but the proper etymological name for his people, and is rejecting it in favor for a term that is not only a racial slur with a lot of negative overtones.

Imagine you friend was not supposedly Rroma, but instead of Rroma let's use...German. The Germans are called the Germans because they are from the country of Germany. There is no confusion here.

Imagine your peer told you that being called German was just a politically correct term, and that he/she preferred to be called a Nazi. From where those who know are standing, that's what this is essentially like. That is why some of us in general, and Tea in particular, have their jaws absolutely agape here...this isn't a difference of opinion regarding a term.

Does that bring people's views in to better contrast?  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:28 pm
Kuroiban
Orchidsandfractals
Kuroiban
TeaDidikai
Orchidsandfractals

Yikes eek

I understand your reasoning; problem is that it doesn't really work.

Here we come to the bolded part of your quote. To be a part of a culture...well....here I goto my good friend...

dictionary.com
culâ‹…ture
  /ˈkʌltʃər/ Show Spelled Pronunciation [kuhl-cher] Show IPA noun, verb, -tured, -tur⋅ing.
Use culture in a Sentence
See web results for culture
See images of culture
–noun
1. the quality in a person or society that arises from a concern for what is regarded as excellent in arts, letters, manners, scholarly pursuits, etc.
2. that which is excellent in the arts, manners, etc.
3. a particular form or stage of civilization, as that of a certain nation or period: Greek culture.
4. development or improvement of the mind by education or training.
5. the behaviors and beliefs characteristic of a particular social, ethnic, or age group: the youth culture; the drug culture.
6. Anthropology. the sum total of ways of living built up by a group of human beings and transmitted from one generation to another.
7. Biology.
a. the cultivation of microorganisms, as bacteria, or of tissues, for scientific study, medicinal use, etc.
b. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.
8. the act or practice of cultivating the soil; tillage.
9. the raising of plants or animals, esp. with a view to their improvement.
10. the product or growth resulting from such cultivation.

What your "peer" is doing is eschewing not the politically correct name for his/her supposed people and kin, but the proper etymological name for his people, and is rejecting it in favor for a term that is not only a racial slur with a lot of negative overtones.

Imagine you friend was not supposedly Rroma, but instead of Rroma let's use...German. The Germans are called the Germans because they are from the country of Germany. There is no confusion here.

Imagine your peer told you that being called German was just a politically correct term, and that he/she preferred to be called a Nazi. From where those who know are standing, that's what this is essentially like. That is why some of us in general, and Tea in particular, have their jaws absolutely agape here...this isn't a difference of opinion regarding a term.

Does that bring people's views in to better contrast?

Again, if a presumed German person honestly felt that that was the name they wished to call themselves, it's their own choice, no matter how strange it may sound. That's the case with the n word. I'm not going to deny their German"ness" just because they decide to call themselves a Nazi(Though, Nazi is more of a political party than a culture, so Aryan would probably be more applicable in this case.) as they personally think it's the least offensive term to describe themselves, no matter how inaccurate that may sound to others. They may be ignorant, they may not actually be German, but unless I have proof of that, it is their own choice as to what word is the most correct in their minds. Now, I have agreed that it is rather strange that my peer, if she is in fact Rroma, would call herself a g word, but it's not impossible. I'm not going to deny that a peer of mine is possibly Rroma without confirming with her that she is not considred Rroma by many other sources, including those she personally accepts. I have said that it TeaDidikai is the more accurate one in this case, but I cannot be certain. If we're operating under the definition of Rroma as being reconized by other Rroma people as such, speaking the Rroma language, and partipating in the culture, I would have to have a long chat with my peer if she partipates within the culture and such. From what I know,she lives within the American culture, which would make her not Rroma by TeaDidikai's defintion of a Rroma person as one who lives within the Rroma culture. You can be part of an ethnic group without partipating in the culture in most cases as well.

It is also equally strange to call a German a Nazi as it is to call me a racist due to my "priviledge" as I am a minority as well, and my culture has been discriminated against... Just saying.  

Orchidsandfractals

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:34 pm
Orchidsandfractals
Again, if a presumed German person honestly felt that that was the name they wished to call themselves, it's their own choice, no matter how strange it may sound. That's the case with the n word. I'm not going to deny their German"ness" just because they decide to call themselves a Nazi(Though, Nazi is more of a political party than a culture, so Aryan would probably be more applicable in this case.) as they personally think it's the least offensive term to describe themselves, no matter how inaccurate that may sound to others. They may be ignorant, they may not actually be German, but unless I have proof of that, it is their own choice as to what word is the most correct in their minds. Now, I have agreed that it is rather strange that my peer, if she is in fact Rroma, would call herself a g word, but it's not impossible. I'm not going to deny that a peer of mine is possibly Rroma without confirming with her that she is not considred Rroma by many other sources, including those she personally accepts. I have said that it TeaDidikai is the more accurate one in this case, but I cannot be certain. If we're operating under the definition of Rroma as being reconized by other Rroma people as such, speaking the Rroma language, and partipating in the culture, I would have to have a long chat with my peer if she partipates within the culture and such. From what I know,she lives within the American culture, which would make her not Rroma by TeaDidikai's defintion of a Rroma person as one who lives within the Rroma culture. You can be part of an ethnic group without partipating in the culture in most cases as well.

It is also equally strange to call a German a Nazi as it is to call me a racist due to my "priviledge" as I am a minority as well, and my culture has been discriminated against... Just saying.

I'm not subtracting choice from this matter...I'm saying it's just wrong...and not morally so. It's wrong as in incorrect by definition.

In my above example...the person ISN'T a Nazi. It goes back to the original thing about me saying I could call myself a bat, but that sure as hell doesn't make me one.

No one is debating the right of someone to say something and believe something. What is being debated is weather they are correct or not.

Or are you suggesting that you won't deny my bat-ness? wink  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:42 pm
Kuroiban
Orchidsandfractals

I'm not subtracting choice from this matter...I'm saying it's just wrong...and not morally so. It's wrong as in incorrect by definition.

In my above example...the person ISN'T a Nazi. It goes back to the original thing about me saying I could call myself a bat, but that sure as hell doesn't make me one.

No one is debating the right of someone to say something and believe something. What is being debated is weather they are correct or not.

Or are you suggesting that you won't deny my bat-ness? wink

If you wish to call the human species a bat, it may not make you one, but it does mean you prefer to be called a bat. Same deal with said German person. Maybe they're not a Nazi, but they think Germany's last great era of power was ww2, and thus think it's the least offensive term. Maybe they are unaware of the negative connotations to the word Nazi(very unlikely, but possible, esp with the g word given how it's treated in American culture.). Maybe they're not German, and their great grandmother thought that the word Nazi was the correct term in the language of Americans(English), when she moved to America to describe her culture and passed down her culture and that way of phrasing things to her children. Maybe they just find it offensive that all people associate the Nazis with was the Holocaust and they wish to reclaim the word for enviromentalism or some other purpose that is less, well, evil.

It may appear illogical that a person may choose to call themselves by a strange name, but it doesn't make them not part of a culture by default. It can mean a variety of things.  

Orchidsandfractals

Kuroiban

Dapper Explorer

2,450 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Statustician 100
  • Member 100
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 3:49 pm
Orchidsandfractals

If you wish to call the human species a bat, it may not make you one, but it does mean you prefer to be called a bat. Same deal with said German person. Maybe they're not a Nazi, but they think Germany's last great era of power was ww2, and thus think it's the least offensive term. Maybe they are unaware of the negative connotations to the word Nazi(very unlikely, but possible, esp with the g word given how it's treated in American culture.). Maybe they're not German, and their great grandmother thought that the word Nazi was the correct term in the language of Americans(English), when she moved to America to describe her culture and passed down her culture and that way of phrasing things to her children. Maybe they just find it offensive that all people associate the Nazis with was the Holocaust and they wish to reclaim the word for enviromentalism or some other purpose that is less, well, evil.

It may appear illogical that a person may choose to call themselves by a strange name, but it doesn't make them not part of a culture by default. It can mean a variety of things.

I understand what you're saying, and must respectfully disagree.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:35 pm
Quote:
I am not a racist by my definition.

I would say most racists don't figure they fit their definition of racism.  

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:42 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Quote:

I'd say most people are racist, merely by virtue of growing up in a racist society. Of course we don't see ourselves as racist. Racist is something other people are --violent, outspoken, horrible people.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:15 pm
maenad nuri
Violet Song jat Shariff
Quote:

I'd say most people are racist, merely by virtue of growing up in a racist society. Of course we don't see ourselves as racist. Racist is something other people are --violent, outspoken, horrible people.

The US society is much less racist than many others at this point in our history. If anything, we're classist. (but that is a political opinion of mine as a socialist, so take it at that value.) We do have racism in our histories, as do ALL nations... Racism would mean I would view others as inferior to me due to their race or ethnicity, which I do not. There are many people in the US who do, though I'd say the numbers have gone down since our country was founded, and the days when Imperialism was the norm. Desegereation is actually somewhat of a major deal and major progress. The wage gap is narrowing, which is a good thing. We've made great progress in the last several hundred years, and in the last 50 years. The whole illegal immigriant debate(the debate over if people who are in the country without permission, if they should be allowed to stay, and if so, under what clauses, and what punishments should be given to them if not.) in US is a case that many people would consider racism, and other think defending American culture, by the modern definition of American. There's a difference between viewing a race as superior, and questioning other people who claim to be part of a culture when it directly contradicts what you have been told by people who also claim to be part of such a culture. The US is much less racist than many other countries. Out of the flaws America has, racism is one of the least prevelant ones compared to many other countries, and I say that as a member of an often persecuted minority group. We have made great progress towards becoming a non racist society. A person just 50 or so years ago, they may have not been seen as crazy for wanting to segerate schools... Now, they'd be considered insane almost, or at the very least, VERY racist. And I am by no means patriotic or supportive of America in general, but that is a topic for another time.Yes, there are racist nutjobs in America, and it would be unconsitiontional to surpress them. That does not mean most Americans support them or that America is a very racist society. Compared to many other countries, I repeat, we are not a racist country overall. Thus, to call a person who lives in American culture racist by virtual of living in American culture, is rather inaccurate.  

Orchidsandfractals

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:31 pm
We're not overtly racist. But damn, if we don't express our racism constantly and consistently. It's systemic, inherent in the system we've created -- white is privileged, anything else is not.

We're not hanging people, but I hear racism every day while I'm working from coworker, customers --everyone. It even comes out of my mouth from time to time, despite my best efforts. It's present in how "Natural Black" hair isn't considered professional, in how Tea has been told that her culture and ethnic group isn't real, in how "Asians are smart!".

(Also, it's CLASS NOT RACE, is a classic derail. We exist in multiple modes of privilege and isms. The best way to describe this is in a system called kyriarchy.)

I cannot help my privilege. I can only seek the understand it and use it in a way that minimizes harm to others.

Guess what's on my To do list this week folks!  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:51 pm
maenad nuri
"Natural Black" hair isn't considered professional

Huh?
Natural black hair?
I'm pretty certain I genuinely don't understand this.  

CuAnnan

Dapper Genius

5,875 Points
  • Person of Interest 200
  • Autobiographer 200
  • Dressed Up 200

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:59 pm
CuAnnan
maenad nuri
"Natural Black" hair isn't considered professional

Huh?
Natural black hair?
I'm pretty certain I genuinely don't understand this.

Already explained it to you, but in case anyone else doesn't. In very basic terms, it describes the type of hair that many people of color have. Particularly for women, their natural hair isn't "good" and there's an entire industry built up around making their hair more like, well, mine.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff