Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Telling Your Loved Ones Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:32 am
Taliah
Recursive Paradox

The whole idea behind leaving a faith and entering another one is because the previous is wholly unsuited to you and your needs. And the new one is what you need.

You're right, of course. The only issue is that I'm still trying to find out if I truly need a new one, and if so what new religion is right for me... and doing so is proving somewhat sluggish in my current circumstances. Though, World Religion and Philosophy classes are in order the second I start the University I'm transferring to next semester.

And independent research is a good start too. Just look into everything basically. You may not find what you need but it's still worth looking for the perspective.

Quote:
Quote:
Is it really so disrespectful to ask for a different dish that won't make your insides go boom?

Not so much that, now that we get to it. Admittedly, I am a meek person and I am terrified of telling them that it just doesn't set right with me, namely because of their reaction. At least, until I know more about how I feel and can actually provide reasons other than, "I just don't feel fulfilled", but that's an ideal situation and not likely to happen.

It's okay to be afraid of poor reactions from family.

I'd be really hypocritical if I chastised anyone for holding back on disclosing things to their family out of fear of a bad reaction considering how long I've waited to tell my dad about being transsexual.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:07 am
Recursive Paradox

And independent research is a good start too. Just look into everything basically. You may not find what you need but it's still worth looking for the perspective.

I appreciate that. smile

Quote:

That's one reason I was very happy for you that you wrote your dad, because you did it. I was inspired, because in some ways what you've revealed was more controversial than just not believing in the same religion.  

Taliah

Lonely Phantom

8,450 Points
  • Prayer Circle 200
  • Sausage Fest 200
  • Forum Junior 100

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 11:33 am
Taliah
Recursive Paradox

That's one reason I was very happy for you that you wrote your dad, because you did it. I was inspired, because in some ways what you've revealed was more controversial than just not believing in the same religion.

Sometimes I forget just how controversial my situation is. You get used to it after a while and it desensitizes you to just how much people like me are hated or regarded as truly unusual.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 12:19 pm
Violet Song jat Shariff
Also (this is probably a bit for PhantomPhoenix too), if someone can rebuild their image, what types of things help to do that? Or is it just something you work on and rebuild over time?
(sorry if this sounds silly sweatdrop )

What I've been doing is taking oaths very seriously, and following through on them. At the same time, I look at other things I can do to show I am a good person. As such, I am charitable, and I look for ways to help out people. Of course, there are also other things I can do, but these are just what comes to mind.

Violet Song jat Shariff
I had a friend on another forum suggest taking the issue to Tyr since he's the fairest judge of all the gods. But I take it that that's not quite the best idea if he'd never accept an oath-breaker.

But isn't Tyr an oathbreaker too? wink

Anyway, the fifteenth stanza of Grimnismal attributes Forseti as being the judge, not Tyr. Infact, the Gylfaginning even states that Tyr is not considered to be a judge.  

PhantomPhoenix0

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 2:39 pm
PhantomPhoenix0
Violet Song jat Shariff
Also (this is probably a bit for PhantomPhoenix too), if someone can rebuild their image, what types of things help to do that? Or is it just something you work on and rebuild over time?
(sorry if this sounds silly sweatdrop )

What I've been doing is taking oaths very seriously, and following through on them. At the same time, I look at other things I can do to show I am a good person. As such, I am charitable, and I look for ways to help out people. Of course, there are also other things I can do, but these are just what comes to mind.

That's what I was thinking too 3nodding . Thanks!

PhantomPhoenix0
Violet Song jat Shariff
I had a friend on another forum suggest taking the issue to Tyr since he's the fairest judge of all the gods. But I take it that that's not quite the best idea if he'd never accept an oath-breaker.

But isn't Tyr an oathbreaker too? wink

Anyway, the fifteenth stanza of Grimnismal attributes Forseti as being the judge, not Tyr. Infact, the Gylfaginning even states that Tyr is not considered to be a judge.

D'oh! That's right xp .
Sorry for the n00by moment.
Thanks again.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:33 am
been there done that!
see my mother is always going back and forth with religions she is now highly questioning the bible she knows I have no interest int he bible what so ever although I respect all religions. my step-father ion the other hand was raised in a christian home and they were very narrow minded people, and they do not try to understand anything so they only judge.
me and my mother have to keep our beliefs on the down low and when with my family its ok to talk about these things but around my step-dad and his family..might as well keep our mouths shut.
so yes I know it is hard to be pagan and be around christians who dont understand.

eartha oak

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 9:54 am
eartha oak
I respect all religions.

Just make sure you keep your eyes open when respecting things. Some religions are truly abhorrent and advocate rape and mutilation of children.

Those religions do not deserve to be respected.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:46 am
Recursive Paradox
eartha oak
I respect all religions.

Just make sure you keep your eyes open when respecting things. Some religions are truly abhorrent and advocate rape and mutilation of children.

Now you've peaked my curiosity as to what religions condon such acts.  

PurpleDragonsGems

Omnipresent Bookworm

15,850 Points
  • Conventioneer 300
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Cool Cat 500

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 12:30 pm
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Recursive Paradox
eartha oak
I respect all religions.

The Frosts.  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 5:50 pm
The best way of say that is saying: "I Respect religions that deserve respect."
Picky, but not picky.

I've always been open and understanding to almost any and all religions. (I will look more into the frosts, that has peaked my interest on why they would think that was okay)  

Edith Puthie

Lunatic

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:14 pm
SpaceTerminal Destiny
Dragon_Witch_Woman
Recursive Paradox
eartha oak
I respect all religions.

The Frosts.
Common- but toss in The Family Int. and some other murdering religious groups as well for good measure.  
PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:45 am
You know, that fact that my Mother used God interchangeably with The Great Spirit really smoothed things over in my immediate family. The extended family, xians (Christians who like to take the Christ out of Christianity) of a rather unreasonable sort, well, they already disliked me before I came to the Truths I now live with. Besides, the last family patriarch, my revered and honoured Grandfather, always maintained that it didn't matter which church a person went to, or even if they went. What matters is what they do and what is in their heart. So the rest of the family, in the absence of a patriarch really doesn't have any authority to pass judgement. Now, if one of those reprobates had the cunning, charisma, and conviction to lead the family, well then, I might actually find myself caring what they had to say. Until then, they can stew in their juices.  

Fiddlers Green

Xayim XVI

PostPosted: Tue Jun 16, 2009 10:21 pm
I was raised Christian. We didn't go to church every sunday, just whenever we visited my Mother's parents, but we were raised to have Jesus in our hearts. I was Baptized when I was a newborn. However, growing up I began to question the Bible's teachings due to my love and understanding of science. I don't believe any Deity could possibly create the Earth out of thin air for instance. Also, I came out of the closet recently and told my parents that I was bisexual. My immediate family was ok with that, but my Grandmother still, to this day, reminds me that homosexuality is a sin and that I'll go to Hell if I don't change my ways. That was the leading reason for my leaving Christianity.

My friends and I became interested in Witchcraft in 5th grade. We made an Oath to each other and created our faux mini-coven. Yeah, none of it was real and we all know that now, but it sparked my initial interest in Ecclectic Neo-Paganism. My older cousin, also a pagan (I don't know the branch.), helped me set up an Altar and bought me Scott Cunningham's Solitary Practitioner book.

I didn't tell my parents, they say the Altar and asked my about it. We had a very...uncomfortable, conversation. I feel guilty in a way that my Path makes them uncomfortable. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:18 am
MissDracoMalfoy1993
I feel guilty in a way that my Path makes them uncomfortable. I know I shouldn't be, but I am.
Why shouldn't you feel guilty? You're violating hospitality and mistreating people you love.  

TeaDidikai

Maze

PostPosted: Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:41 am
Bah.

I went through Confirmation.

We'd get presents, after all. What kid doesn't love presents?

*snorts* Confirmation would be when we chose Jesus/God as our Saviour. Like they showed us anything else to pick? *muttergrumblegrouse*

XD; I still get pissed about that.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces