Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
What do I do with the food I give to spirits? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 5:06 pm
Seppuku - you're physically capable of such a thing too, if you were so inclined. Just as an example of an onerous, dangerous activity.

About the two examples: Hindu and the "uppity humans"...
Do I need to spell out every single little syllable? They were both examples. Since when are those exhaustive? THAT is presumptuous. With the thousands of faiths in this world, two examples of extremes is not going to do it, and saying such would only be redundant.

And once again, you take my words out of context - "only to serve your own ego", or something like it, was attached to the warning against invocation and allowing spirits in. And my generalization is about letting ANYTHING into yourself. That includes your topic.

Yes, DB, I have an arrogant tone. But I'm not the only one! rofl

And considering the way this is all publicly available to anyone over the internet, we might as well have at least some form of disclaimer for the readers at home - maybe for you too, maybe not.

Then again, how long could you have been practicing this, to know what you're dealing with? While you may be an exception, almost anyone your age would be just barely picking this up! Most disciplined organizations that I've seen would have someone study and learn and practice for years before trying anything like you describe.

And, considering you're recommending this to someone who, judging by the question is brand new, I'd call that risky behavior.  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:44 pm
PrometheanSet

Way to take me out of context! If I hit a nerve with your personal practices please let me know, so I can apologize.
User Image

This is a funny one though... perhaps one of the best I've seen from Promethean thus far.
Quote:

Offering has the intent of placating yourself to the deity,
Proof that this is the universal goal of offerings please.  

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:07 pm
PrometheanSet
Seppuku - you're physically capable of such a thing too, if you were so inclined. Just as an example of an onerous, dangerous activity.
Reductio absurdem. And still doesn't apply.
Quote:

About the two examples: Hindu and the "uppity humans"...
Do I need to spell out every single little syllable? They were both examples. Since when are those exhaustive? THAT is presumptuous.
HAHAHAHAHA Ironic.
Quote:
With the thousands of faiths in this world, two examples of extremes is not going to do it, and saying such would only be redundant.
Good thing that has nothing to do with what I said.
Quote:

And once again, you take my words out of context - "only to serve your own ego", or something like it, was attached to the warning against invocation and allowing spirits in. And my generalization is about letting ANYTHING into yourself. That includes your topic.
Allowing spirits to possess you for any reason =/= how to properly dispose of food offerings.
Quote:

Sadly, you're the only one who doesn't deserve it. Arrogance is more than acceptable to me if it is proven to be deserved.

You've utterly failed in that department so far.[qutoe]

And considering the way this is all publicly available to anyone over the internet, we might as well have at least some form of disclaimer for the readers at home - maybe for you too, maybe not. So we should make faulty premises and crappy justifications?

Yeah, that'll work. Maybe we just say possession leads to AIDS.
Quote:

Then again, how long could you have been practicing this, to know what you're dealing with?
How does that matter?

Have you been practicing my personal faith longer than I have?
Have you been practicing Tsuzuki's faith as long as he has?
Do you know anything about it that would justify any of your assertions?

Really, what the ******** does that question matter when I'm questioning your faulty assertions?
Quote:
While you may be an exception, almost anyone your age would be just barely picking this up!
How do you know my age? How do you know people my age (if you even know it) are just picking this (my personal faith) up? Who else has picked up my personal faith?

Do you see how problematic for you it is to just assume something about my faith and then make some assertion about it's qualities based on those false assumptions?
Quote:
Most disciplined organizations that I've seen would have someone study and learn and practice for years before trying anything like you describe.
Really? Can you prove this? Can you prove that most would, let alone your idea that this is the universal way, or that it is the right way?
Quote:

And, considering you're recommending this to someone who, judging by the question is brand new, I'd call that risky behavior.
TO WHOM AM I RECOMMENDING ANYTHING? I haven't done any such thing at all!

Really, show me where I recommend something to someone who is "brand new."  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:09 pm
Gho the Girl
Sadly, you're the only one who doesn't deserve it. Arrogance is more than acceptable to me if it is proven to be deserved.

You've utterly failed in that department so far
ninja
Quote:

Have you been practicing Tsuzuki's faith as long as he has?
Potentially. They're both Chaos Magicians.

Though frankly, I think Tsuzuki can do it better, backwards and in heels.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:32 pm
TeaDidikai

Though frankly, I think Tsuzuki can do it better, backwards and in heels.

I now have a strange, amusing and probably dangerous mental image. o_o  
PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:42 pm
Recursive Paradox
"Better, backwards and in heels" paraphrases an old Ann Richards quote.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:58 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox
"Better, backwards and in heels" paraphrases an old Ann Richards quote.

Oh I know.

But still the mental image images. Poor Tsuzuki. >.>  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:08 am
Gho the Girl

Ditto.

You have shown no knowledge of real occultism; you spout all these "wonderful ideas" without any seeming basis. What are your qualifications? While I never claimed to be an expert, I do claim to be reasonably well traveled.

As for the rest of it;

The symbiosis idea: you're dealing with A DEITY, and symbiosis is a relationship between where both benefit. What do they get out of it that they couldn't get elsewhere. See the contradiction?

In particular, the African religions have TRAINED people to take on the deities they call down. The whole point is that they are NOT themselves.... Thelemites don't exactly let Neophites touch anything magickal unless its seriously necessary to brutalize them into humility. Been there, done that. You too?

A God is deserving of an offering because they are above us. Why else would we even bother? Some of these questions are pretty basic for folks who want to run the so called "fluffy rehab".

As for how this came up, someone suggested that taking in the deity was the proper way to make an offering. Read the thread.

And sorry, I have to recant that it was you who said this that or the other. Sorry, I'm still learning who is who, and nobody's making it any easier.  

PrometheanSet

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:13 am
SpaceTerminal Destiny
PrometheanSet

Hinduism tells you that after the deity in question has taken their nourishment from it, you go ahead and eat it. To do otherwise would be insulting. I may be mistaken, but it might be some idea of fellowship with them.

Yes, but you only do it with certain foods. Meaning if your food has onions or garlic (which pundits who are priests, can't eat) or any meat products (including eggs, that's who our definition of vegetarianism goes).

You mostly do it with fruits and vegetables, but the temple I go to would offer tiny portions of the lunch, that was after service, during the puja portion of the public service. That's where I found about why they don't put the onions or garlic in the food, because my parents volunteer heavily within the temple.
Thank you for your civility and useful information. A Hindu temple has been hard to come by where I live, so I've had to make use with the Upanishads and whatever my anthropology professors know.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 12:34 am
PrometheanSet
Ditto.

You have shown no knowledge of real occultism; you spout all these "wonderful ideas" without any seeming basis. What are your qualifications? While I never claimed to be an expert, I do claim to be reasonably well traveled.

I don't remember Gho claiming such a thing either. However, Gho does have experience with the spirits in her path and how they accept offerings, and I'll say this with absolute certainty. Gho knows a ******** load more about her own path than you ever will.

Quote:
As for the rest of it;

The symbiosis idea: you're dealing with A DEITY, and symbiosis is a relationship between where both benefit. What do they get out of it that they couldn't get elsewhere. See the contradiction?

Food offered to them/enhanced feeling of "closeness" with their followers.

There is no contradiction.

Quote:
In particular, the African religions have TRAINED people to take on the deities they call down. The whole point is that they are NOT themselves.... Thelemites don't exactly let Neophites touch anything magickal unless its seriously necessary to brutalize them into humility. Been there, done that. You too?

I'd say that may very well have more to do with the specific entities they're calling down, and the way they've been shown to act. As has been asked before, do you know as much as Gho and Tsuzuki do about their respective paths and the spirits they do, or are you just going to continue to throw out asinine little hasty generalizations based on how a few other, probably unrelated, groups act?

Quote:
A God is deserving of an offering because they are above us. Why else would we even bother? Some of these questions are pretty basic for folks who want to run the so called "fluffy rehab".

Now, personally, whilst on a personal level I'd agree with you, it's perfectly acceptable that someone who viewed gods as merely different, and not necessarily better, would "bother" so that said gods could grant them things that they otherwise couldn't get on their own, not because they are necessarily above, but because they're different.

Quote:
As for how this came up, someone suggested that taking in the deity was the proper way to make an offering. Read the thread.

And in some paths, it may very well be the proper way.

Quote:
And sorry, I have to recant that it was you who said this that or the other. Sorry, I'm still learning who is who, and nobody's making it any easier.

Quick tip, you can usually tell by the names and little pictures under the names.  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:32 am
Cyrus the Elder
PrometheanSet
Ditto.

I don't remember Gho claiming such a thing either. However, Gho does have experience with the spirits in her path and how they accept offerings, and I'll say this with absolute certainty. Gho knows a ******** load more about her own path than you ever will.

Quote:
As for the rest of it;

Food offered to them/enhanced feeling of "closeness" with their followers.

There is no contradiction.

Quote:

I'd say that may very well have more to do with the specific entities they're calling down, and the way they've been shown to act. As has been asked before, do you know as much as Gho and Tsuzuki do about their respective paths and the spirits they do, or are you just going to continue to throw out asinine little hasty generalizations based on how a few other, probably unrelated, groups act?

Quote:

Now, personally, whilst on a personal level I'd agree with you, it's perfectly acceptable that someone who viewed gods as merely different, and not necessarily better, would "bother" so that said gods could grant them things that they otherwise couldn't get on their own, not because they are necessarily above, but because they're different.

Quote:

And in some paths, it may very well be the proper way.

Quote:

Quick tip, you can usually tell by the names and little pictures under the names.

Considering that I already recanted that any particular person said any thing in particular... well, you get that idea.

And I can't find a dang thing about which path Gho follows. So, yeah, that means I don't know anything about it! What it's name is would be a good start.

And those "hasty generalizations"... well, I haven't been everywhere, and I never said I had. But I'll tell you about what I have seen. Normally, I try to add vague words and phrases like "usually" or "from my experience," to my posts. If, in the heat of being DOGPILED ON I neglected this, would you ever forgive me?

Okay, I'm familiar with the idea that Gods are simply just different from us. However, I've normally seen folks with that perspective treat their deities like vending machines. Seeing the former without the latter in people would be refreshing, if such personal info came to the surface.

There's also the perspective that these deities are just archetypal facets of ourselves, which I can relate to just as much as putting them above us.

If this is the proper way in some path, I'd suggest some extremely rigorous training, supervised by someone who's already been trained, and gone there enough for it to be... well, as routine as you think it'll be for you. Which is kinda what I thought I was trying to say. As opposed to recommending it to someone that, by this thread's existence, seems a little too new (at least, for my liking) to be trying that, especially when they didn't tell us absolutely everything. You could say that I've known too many people who didn't quite come back all the way.

And very funny about the pics and names thing. Hahaha. Unless its a human, unpixelated, non-cartoonish face, they all look the same to me for a while. And I already have trouble with names in person.  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:41 am
PrometheanSet

Considering that I already recanted that any particular person said any thing in particular... well, you get that idea.

Concession noted.

Quote:
And I can't find a dang thing about which path Gho follows. So, yeah, that means I don't know anything about it! What it's name is would be a good start.

I don't believe she's given it one yet. Although I believe she has a thread in the pathways section, but just remember to follow the rules to the letter if you're in there.

Quote:
And those "hasty generalizations"... well, I haven't been everywhere, and I never said I had. But I'll tell you about what I have seen. Normally, I try to add vague words and phrases like "usually" or "from my experience," to my posts. If, in the heat of being DOGPILED ON I neglected this, would you ever forgive me?

If you accept that they're hasty generalizations without those words and recant/edit them accordingly, sure.

Quote:
Okay, I'm familiar with the idea that Gods are simply just different from us. However, I've normally seen folks with that perspective treat their deities like vending machines. Seeing the former without the latter in people would be refreshing, if such personal info came to the surface.

I've seen a fair few in my time.

Quote:
If this is the proper way in some path, I'd suggest some extremely rigorous training, supervised by someone who's already been trained, and gone there enough for it to be... well, as routine as you think it'll be for you. Which is kinda what I thought I was trying to say. As opposed to recommending it to someone that, by this thread's existence, seems a little too new (at least, for my liking) to be trying that, especially when they didn't tell us absolutely everything. You could say that I've known too many people who didn't quite come back all the way.

I dunno, I'd say if the spirits in question have been shown, by experience, to be trustworthy and "go easy" on newbies, you may or may not need rigorous training.

Quote:
And very funny about the pics and names thing. Hahaha. Unless its a human, unpixelated, non-cartoonish face, they all look the same to me for a while. And I already have trouble with names in person.

Oh come on, I'm a ******** tree! You can't really say I look the same as everyone else, honestly ninja  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:58 am
Cyrus the Elder
PrometheanSet

Concession noted.

Quote:

I don't believe she's given it one yet. Although I believe she has a thread in the pathways section, but just remember to follow the rules to the letter if you're in there.

Quote:

If you accept that they're hasty generalizations without those words and recant/edit them accordingly, sure.

Quote:

I've seen a fair few in my time.

Quote:

I dunno, I'd say if the spirits in question have been shown, by experience, to be trustworthy and "go easy" on newbies, you may or may not need rigorous training.

Quote:

Oh come on, I'm a ******** tree! You can't really say I look the same as everyone else, honestly ninja
Yeah, the tree thing sticks out, even to me.

And with the spirits being "trained by experience" to go easy on newbies... well, since its still fair to point out any holes.... :p

There are some mischievous, even manipulative things out there. Once again, without a good bit more info from the original poster...  
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 2:08 am
PrometheanSet
Yeah, the tree thing sticks out, even to me.

And with the spirits being "trained by experience" to go easy on newbies... well, since its still fair to point out any holes.... :p

Well, I didn't say trained by experience, but noticed by experience to go easy on newbies. I.e. spirits going nice on them of their own accord in the past.

Quote:
There are some mischievous, even manipulative things out there.

Oh, I sure as hell won't dispute that. However, there are also some easily controlled and/or benevolent things out there too.

Quote:
Once again, without a good bit more info from the original poster...

Well, why not just ask Gho for said information then?  

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:53 am
PrometheanSet
Gho the Girl
Ditto.

Show me how I claimed to have great knowledge of the occult, oh great poo-bah. xd
Quote:

As for the rest of it;

The symbiosis idea: you're dealing with A DEITY,
I question your own knowledge if you consistently fail to understand the difference between spirits (what we're talking about) and deities. I don't know the occult to know if that's causing your mix-up, but in general terms, otherlings aren't deities. I worship deities and spirits, and what Tsuzuki and were discussing was spirit possession, not deific possession.

Now, how about we drop the faulty premis arguments, eh?
Quote:
and symbiosis is a relationship between where both benefit. What do they get out of it that they couldn't get elsewhere. See the contradiction?
Depending on the tradition, a couple of things. For one, considering that we're talking about spirits, which in my path are souls that don't have vessels and haven't been reincarnated, it allows them to experience a physical form again without having to consign themselves to it permanently.
Quote:

Again, that's highly irrelevant. I really don't care what African religions or Neophites or Thelemites do (well, that's a lie, I love learning about them, but for this discussion, it doesn't really matter) as my path is different. Just as Christians revere God in one way Muslims revere Allah in quite another, and Jews revere YHVH in yet another. And then the Hellenists revere their gods in one way, which isn't identical to the Asataru, or the Hindu gods. And then there's the Indo-Turkic Shaman, and then there's the Native American Medicine Man.

Alll very different ways of dealing with things which to an ignorant observer look the same, yet all "work."

So, really, trying to apply some other practices though processes might be nice if we're comparing notes, but it seems more like you're telling me what to do in my practice according to the practice of a wholly removed faith (basing it again off the premise that we're discussing deities as opposed to spirits, but I digress).
Quote:

Quote:
Again, not talking about gods, we're talking about spirits. I'd think that would be "pretty basic" for someone like you.
Quote:

Except, 1) no, he didn't, he suggested letting the spirit possess me, in partial or in whole, while I ate it.
2) In my faith, such a thing isn't so far out there, but I didn't wish to do it for other reasons wholly removed from yoru little rant.
Quote:

We have different screen names.

The one you quoted originally was Tsuzuki. His avatar and screenname are completely different from mine. I'd have thought that would have been enough to clue you in.

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff