Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Just what is a witch anyway? Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:29 pm
Areleklo
maenad nuri
Areleklo
I never said anything about tapping into that dude. Why are you putting words in my mouth? Yeah, this narrow view of magic has really helped my power along so I must be doing something wrong huh? neutral You know, I'm just not going to talk to you if you keep putting words in my mouth. Knock it off. I never named the source.

Your vagueness made it possible. If we all step into the same source, then Christian Witches are going into the same source as Neopagan witchcraft.

It's vague -- that is why have labels and definitions, to give us more nuance when we speak of such things.
I speak vague to get a feel of people. It's what I do. Just because i'm being vague doesn't mean words should be put into my mouth though. THat's one thing i'm not going to let start in discussion.

We prefer to be specific here. When you are vague we have nothing to discuss. When you are vague, we can only go of what you present.

Be specific and we will appreciate it better. We can't learn and teach with vagueness.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 12:31 pm
Areleklo
I speak vague to get a feel of people. It's what I do.
So, rather than being forthright, accurate, honest and direct, you manipulate complete strangers?

Quote:
Just because i'm being vague doesn't mean words should be put into my mouth though. THat's one thing i'm not going to let start in discussion.
I'm not putting words in your mouth. I'm extrapolating the meaning of the things you said.

You said "We all tap into the same source for magic at one point or another". I said no. I gave a reason why. The fact that I disagreed with your assertion and provided an example as to why I think you're wrong isn't putting words in your mouth.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:27 pm
Areleklo
A witch is just another term for those practicing from the same source of power.

Excuse me? What source of power? There are multiple sources of power out there. I most assuredly do not use the same sources as Thelemites and Catholic Priests do not use the same source as I.

Do not dare lump us all together. That is unbelievably insulting and demeaning to those of us with less well known paths.

Areleklo
Magic. Why classify magic? Magic is life and life in magic with everything in between. As we age more/practice more. We then grow and mature more. Then we see more magic in our day to day lives. We all tap into the same source for magic at one point or another. So why get bogged down with details and definitions?

Congratulations on destroying the usefulness of the word, "witch" and the word, "witchcraft".

Getting bogged down in details and definitions? Those definitions allow us to differentiate between clearly different things. Like an Etherist Energy Channeler and a Wiccan Priestess.

I am not the latter one. Learn to use words properly or don't ******** speak at all.  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:05 pm
Recursive Paradox
Excuse me? What source of power? There are multiple sources of power out there. I most assuredly do not use the same sources as Thelemites and Catholic Priests do not use the same source as I.

Do not dare lump us all together. That is unbelievably insulting and demeaning to those of us with less well known paths.
This was pretty much the point of my challenge. That and I know some really awesome Asatru who get really ******** pissed when their role as Vitki is lumped in with modern witchcraft.

As I recall it had something to do with the bastardized understanding of the Elder Futhark that is so popular in pagan books. (DAMNIT BLUME)  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:45 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

This was pretty much the point of my challenge. That and I know some really awesome Asatru who get really ******** pissed when their role as Vitki is lumped in with modern witchcraft.

As I recall it had something to do with the bastardized understanding of the Elder Futhark that is so popular in pagan books. (DAMNIT BLUME)

Ah I didn't see you write that.

I just sort of went blind with rage and furiously typed out an angry post... >.>  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:52 pm
Recursive Paradox

I just sort of went blind with rage and furiously typed out an angry post... >.>
But... you're one of the nice ones. crying  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

It's been a hard week? *sweatdrop*  
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:21 pm
Cyrus the Elder
Generally, I'm of the opinion that when the will is moved out of your hands, it ceases to be witchcraft. For instance, solely petitioning a deity to do something for you.

I can think of cases where this isn't in place, though; bindrunes are holding power in the hand of the vitki, but one remains a vitki and does not become a witch. ninja

Cyrus the Elder
Why is this reminding me of the time I looked up "Practical joke" in my dictionary, and it said "See prank" and I looked up prank and it said "see practical joke" ninja

That is a case where execution and definition are so close.

Areleklo
maenad nuri
Areleklo
A witch is just another term for those practicing from the same source of power.

Which is?

Magic. Why classify magic? Magic is life and life in magic with everything in between. As we age more/practice more. We then grow and mature more. Then we see more magic in our day to day lives. We all tap into the same source for magic at one point or another. So why get bogged down with details and definitions?

Not all people who do magic are witches. Not all magic is witchcraft. I pity the person who tries to call me a witch; they'd tempt me to try out bindrunes on them.

TeaDidikai
Recursive Paradox

*cackles*

Witchcraft always carries the scent of loam to me, but sometimes so does Tea and she's not a witch, so that can't be it. wink  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:28 am
Deoridhe
Cyrus the Elder
Generally, I'm of the opinion that when the will is moved out of your hands, it ceases to be witchcraft. For instance, solely petitioning a deity to do something for you.

I can think of cases where this isn't in place, though; bindrunes are holding power in the hand of the vitki, but one remains a vitki and does not become a witch. ninja

Aye, that's partially where the big exchange between me and Tea began sweatdrop

Which is where all I can really do is point at "context" again. My definition of witchcraft is...heavily dependant upon alot of variables. sweatdrop And, some could argue, in its definitional infancy ninja  
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:49 pm
Deoridhe

Witchcraft always carries the scent of loam to me, but sometimes so does Tea and she's not a witch, so that can't be it. wink
I CHANGED MY PIT STICK! WHAT ******** MORE DO YOU WANT FROM ME! scream stressed  

TeaDidikai

Aislin Artiers

PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 7:40 pm
RubyLight
Through out history, mythology, ect the term witch is scattered about.
My question is: what makes a witch a witch?
The dictionary definition is not helpful at all. sweatdrop

A witch is usually defined as any person who practices magic. They do not have to be pagan, just as long as they practice magic.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:00 pm
Abaddon Angel93
RubyLight

A witch is usually defined as any person who practices magic. They do not have to be pagan, just as long as they practice magic.

There are already names for a large number of magic practitioners and using witch (which is a very specific term) just runs over all of them and homogenizes the entire zone of study.

Homogenization of many groups and cultures is bad. Don't do that.  

Recursive Paradox

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:34 pm
Abaddon Angel93
RubyLight

Yeah, just a quick head's up. A fair few ceremonial magicians would floor you for saying that to their faces ninja

That's ignoring the other groups who wouldn't be pleased with being called witches.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 11, 2009 8:47 pm
Cyrus the Elder

That's ignoring the other groups who wouldn't be pleased with being called witches.

Like energy channelers.  

Recursive Paradox

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas