• Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:15 am
How many holes do those minis have? ninja  
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:16 am
Vikki Keeler
Not too many, I haven't examined all of them yet. I did have to soak it in hot water and bend the barrel of a fusion gun, though.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 2:07 am
Right, so now that my short-term Tallarn goal has been met, I'm proceeding with my Altansar Eldar, with plans to complete the following list.

Quote:
+++HQ+++

Autarch 110
-Jetbike
-Fusion Gun
-Banshee Mask
-Power Weapon

+++ELITES+++

Fire Dragons 167
-5 Dragons
-1 Exarch
--Firepike
--Fast Shot

+++TROOPS+++

Windrider Jetbike Squadron 61
-3 Jetbikes
-Shuriken Cannon

Dire Avengers 275
-9 Avengers
-1 Exarch
--TL Catapults
-Wave Serpent
--TL Bright Lances
--Shuriken Cannon Upgrade

+++HEAVY SUPPORT+++

Warwalker Squadron 60
-1 Walker
--Scatter Laser
--Bright Lance

Falcon Gravtank 135
-Scatter Laser
-Shuriken Cannon upgrade

818 Points

It's a smaller goal than my IG, with only 20 infantry and 3 vehicles, but in the past I've spent -way- too much attention on individual models. If I am going to eventually have a viable Eldar army, I need to be able to paint them in a more efficient manner.

As such, below is my first attempt at using a simplified scheme to achieve similar results. I still want it to be a visually stunning theme, but with a simpler process. The Exarch below took a couple weeks of painting, and was the first I've painted in Altansar theme. The glowy effects were through extensive layering with several shades of red, orange, and yellow. The Guardian on the right was painted in a couple of hours, by priming it Golden Yellow and using a Fuegan Orange wash, followed by Khorne Red plates and a Nuln Oil wash on the plates, staying away from the edge of the plates so they appear as highlights.

User Image

Thoughts? Suggestions?  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 04, 2013 1:59 pm
I'd paint the cable connecting the rifle to the arm a different colour, to make it pop a bit more. Maybe the same colour as the rest of the weapon? Ditto on the two protrusions on the backpack, they might also be better served in a different colour, maybe the same hue of red as used on the armour.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 05, 2013 3:13 pm
Lady Blodwynn
I'd paint the cable connecting the rifle to the arm a different colour, to make it pop a bit more. Maybe the same colour as the rest of the weapon? Ditto on the two protrusions on the backpack, they might also be better served in a different colour, maybe the same hue of red as used on the armour.
I debated on the protrusions for quite a while before going with the glowing orange. I've got about 35 more guardian defenders in total, so I'll probably try one with the red protrusions and compare them side by side.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:34 am
DarkElf27
Lady Blodwynn
I debated on the protrusions for quite a while before going with the glowing orange. I've got about 35 more guardian defenders in total, so I'll probably try one with the red protrusions and compare them side by side.
That might be the best course of action.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2013 8:37 am
Vikki Stardust
To amend my first response, now that I'm painting them, they seem to have absolute s**t-tons of holes in them. stressed  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 12, 2013 11:24 am
I've finished the physical restoration of one of my Falcons for my list. This includes converting a Shuriken Cannon under-turret, magnetizing the main turret to the chassis, magnetizing the main guns to the turret, and pinning the delicate antennae that have broken and been re-glued a half-dozen times over the last decade. Enjoy!

Turret magnetized to a plasticard pedestal on the chassis to replace the broken plastic rotating piece, works like a charm. Ideally I would like to have used a larger magnet, but 1mm x 3mm is all I have.
User Image

Weapons magnetized at the joint to the turret so they can be swapped or removed as Weapon Destroyed.
User Image

And, simple chop-swap with a shuriken catapult frame and an older shuriken cannon gun from a Vyper. May magnetize in the future so that it moves more easily; the plastic rotator is very stiff and doesn't fit well.
User Image  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 3:31 am
Started assembling my Autarch on Jetbike, and decided after much forethought to do a dragon conversion to the jetbike with some spare Fantasy bits.

By my list, he has a fusion gun and also a power sword, but both items included are in the right hand. Thus, my first challenge was to attach the fusion gun (after removing the arm and hand) to the undercarriage.

User Image
User Image

Next was the tail. I had leftover bits from a High Elf dragon, and snipped and bent the tail into proper shape. I drilled two holes for pinning in the tail and into the back of the bike, and then glued it into place.

User Image
User Image

Next, the lower jaw. I trimmed quite a bit from the back of the tongue to make it match the curves of the jetbike chassis, and then drilled 3 holes in the jaw and the chassis to pin it. The two side pins go all the way through the plastic to hook at the top for increased strength.

User Image
User Image

And, the result for the work so far! Also, the concept for adding a pair of Dark Elf Pegasus wings to the winglets. Next will be greenstuffing those joints so they look natural.

User Image
User Image  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 8:47 am
That tail might be a tad too big for such a small vehicle.  

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:51 am
Vikki Stardust
That tail might be a tad too big for such a small vehicle.
It looks quite long, but once the wings are on, the proportions will look more even. Also, on most reptiles the tail is as long or longer than the rest of the body, head included, and this reflects those proportions. 3nodding  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 2:33 am
DarkElf27
User Image
I think the construct might have been even better if the tail of the dragon was straight and not slightly curved. It more or less sucks out all the notion of speed and momentum.  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:15 am
Lady Blodwynn
I think the construct might have been even better if the tail of the dragon was straight and not slightly curved. It more or less sucks out all the notion of speed and momentum.
Could you show me an example? I did a bit of googling for flying dragon poses and didn't find any straight tails.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 5:11 pm
Wave Serpent update, note the Altansar craftworld mark next to the cockpit. Almost done, but not quite, still a lot of detailing to do.

User Image  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:35 am
Did some basecoating and drilled my 40mm lava bases for the vehicles and bikes. Overall 1000pt list is starting to take shape!

User Image  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces