Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
I have a problem Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 12:36 pm
ShadowCatSoul
How about we start with you guys telling me how y'all found your deities? Or, how they found you.
I tried to be an underage uninitiated "Wiccan" for several years and it failed miserably. Then two years ago, somehow I started drawing mysteriously awesome pictures of lions with circlets and ankh tattoos, and came across Kemet.org. I joined their forums and started talking to people, and God->Netjer started talking to me.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 1:42 pm
No, I don't have ADD, not that I'm aware of anyway, though it does run in my family. I do know, however, that I have focusing issues. Have all my life. I don't take medicine for it because I have a problem with pills, especially when I know it's something I can solve on my own if I keep trying hard enough. I'm not sure what you mean by sense of entitlement. sweatdrop As I said before, I do not claim to know everything about any subject. I have read every scrap of information about them that I could get my hands on, and I know very well that the information was most likely not very accurate, but from what little I have learned, I like. I'm not saying I want to be one, just that I like what they were, the good and the bad. I also have a fondness for Hispanic culture, but I am not hispanic myself. I was just raised around a lot of hispanic people and grew interested and studied their culture as well. I would major in history, I love ancient history, but I'm afraid I don't see very many professions open for that job, which is why I am instead majoring in psychology. Another good way to learn about culture since you have to take sociology classes and such. And to whoever said this (can't remember who) I did not come in here and ask you to spill all your secrets. Oh, and to TheDisreputableDog, I'm glad you've found your god. Maybe one day I'll be able to as well. Hmm...I'm not sure why this popped into my mind, since I've never thought of him before really but it did this morning, but do any of you know much about Ares? Besides him being god of war?  

ShadowCatSoul

TheDisreputableDog

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 2:12 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Hmm...I'm not sure why this popped into my mind, since I've never thought of him before really but it did this morning, but do any of you know much about Ares? Besides him being god of war?
Ares != Mars. That's about all I can tell you. I think Ares is also involved with agriculture? I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere but I don't have the details.

Also, something to remember when learning about gods people tend to learn about briefly in school, such as the Roman, Greek, and Egyptian pantheons, and sometimes the Norse...These deities are not best described as "god of X." That's a one-dimensional picture of a many-dimensional entity. Gods may have greater influence in several domains more than they do in others, but try to avoid getting the picture stuck in your mind of "Soandso is the god of X." Unfortunately when these gods are taught in school it is usually in the context of "historical mythology," in implicit or explicit contrast to the Christian god who is understood to be multi-faceted, and therefore the "old gods" don't necessarily emerge in their own multi-faceted glory. It's like if there is more than one god, they must all have distinct purposes or there wouldn't be any need for more than one; or they are looked at in an archetypical sense which also provides a limiting framework. But think about it--you aren't "the human of differential calculus" even if you like it and are very good at it. Humans != deities (in most cases) of course, but if you are trying to approach the gods in a personal manner, please try to remember that they are not cardboard cut-outs.

So it is good you are asking the question, and asking the question of others is useful, but there are also many other avenues of research. I know you've said you've done extensive research for the past three years, but you also just said you don't think about Ares and you don't know anything about him except as "god of war." So don't neglect an information search on your own, there's a lot out there. Perhaps, ask for a starting point here. Or search on your own and bring back some source or piece of information you would like other opinions on. You should be prepared to share your own insights when you ask it of others.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:43 pm
TheDisreputableDog
ShadowCatSoul
Hmm...I'm not sure why this popped into my mind, since I've never thought of him before really but it did this morning, but do any of you know much about Ares? Besides him being god of war?
Ares != Mars. That's about all I can tell you. I think Ares is also involved with agriculture? I have a vague memory of reading that somewhere but I don't have the details.

Also, something to remember when learning about gods people tend to learn about briefly in school, such as the Roman, Greek, and Egyptian pantheons, and sometimes the Norse...These deities are not best described as "god of X." That's a one-dimensional picture of a many-dimensional entity. Gods may have greater influence in several domains more than they do in others, but try to avoid getting the picture stuck in your mind of "Soandso is the god of X." Unfortunately when these gods are taught in school it is usually in the context of "historical mythology," in implicit or explicit contrast to the Christian god who is understood to be multi-faceted, and therefore the "old gods" don't necessarily emerge in their own multi-faceted glory. It's like if there is more than one god, they must all have distinct purposes or there wouldn't be any need for more than one; or they are looked at in an archetypical sense which also provides a limiting framework. But think about it--you aren't "the human of differential calculus" even if you like it and are very good at it. Humans != deities (in most cases) of course, but if you are trying to approach the gods in a personal manner, please try to remember that they are not cardboard cut-outs.

So it is good you are asking the question, and asking the question of others is useful, but there are also many other avenues of research. I know you've said you've done extensive research for the past three years, but you also just said you don't think about Ares and you don't know anything about him except as "god of war." So don't neglect an information search on your own, there's a lot out there. Perhaps, ask for a starting point here. Or search on your own and bring back some source or piece of information you would like other opinions on. You should be prepared to share your own insights when you ask it of others.

Thank you very much, I will keep what you have said in mind. =^_^=  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 8:45 pm
ShadowCatSoul
I don't take medicine for it because I have a problem with pills, especially when I know it's something I can solve on my own if I keep trying hard enough.
Just as a point of reference, talking to professionals, getting a diagnosis and taking meds is solving it on your own... these aren't easy things.

Quote:

I'm not sure what you mean by sense of entitlement. sweatdrop
Entitlement is an attitude wherein your expectations are based on your personal desires and not a willing exchange between participants. For example, there is nothing you can exchange with me that would end in me parting with a number of my family's traditions. Most of the "exchange" in a forum like this is paid in the form of active and thoughtful listening.

When you project entitlement, you come across as feeling deserving of that which others have already paid for- doesn't matter if it's a cookie or a pearl.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:02 pm
ShadowCatSoul
No, I don't have ADD, not that I'm aware of anyway, though it does run in my family. I do know, however, that I have focusing issues. Have all my life. I don't take medicine for it because I have a problem with pills, especially when I know it's something I can solve on my own if I keep trying hard enough.

I'm not doubting that you have focusing issues. I am doubting that they are affecting your ability to be more specific.

Quote:

You seem to think you deserve other people to do your work for you and that you deserve free reign to act disturbingly close and personal to groups that you know nothing about.

Entitlement is thinking you deserve something that you do not deserve.

Quote:
As I said before, I do not claim to know everything about any subject.

Never said you did.

Quote:
I have read every scrap of information about them that I could get my hands on, and I know very well that the information was most likely not very accurate, but from what little I have learned, I like.

If the little you learned is wrong, how can you really like that group? You only like this idea you've created or other people have created that isn't real.

Quote:
And to whoever said this (can't remember who) I did not come in here and ask you to spill all your secrets.

You came in and lazily asked as general of a question possible, basically asking us to give you our knowledge on religion. They are essentially the same thing.  

Recursive Paradox

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:07 pm
TeaDidikai
ShadowCatSoul
I don't take medicine for it because I have a problem with pills, especially when I know it's something I can solve on my own if I keep trying hard enough.
Just as a point of reference, talking to professionals, getting a diagnosis and taking meds is solving it on your own... these aren't easy things.

Quote:

Entitlement is an attitude wherein your expectations are based on your personal desires and not a willing exchange between participants. For example, there is nothing you can exchange with me that would end in me parting with a number of my family's traditions. Most of the "exchange" in a forum like this is paid in the form of active and thoughtful listening.

When you project entitlement, you come across as feeling deserving of that which others have already paid for- doesn't matter if it's a cookie or a pearl.

About the medicine part, I don't need focus pills. I've solved my memory problems on my own and I firmly believe I can solve the other. And aboaut the entitlement, I never asked for anyone's secrets. That wouldn't be right.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 9:15 pm
Recursive Paradox
ShadowCatSoul
No, I don't have ADD, not that I'm aware of anyway, though it does run in my family. I do know, however, that I have focusing issues. Have all my life. I don't take medicine for it because I have a problem with pills, especially when I know it's something I can solve on my own if I keep trying hard enough.

I'm not doubting that you have focusing issues. I am doubting that they are affecting your ability to be more specific.

Quote:

You seem to think you deserve other people to do your work for you and that you deserve free reign to act disturbingly close and personal to groups that you know nothing about.

Entitlement is thinking you deserve something that you do not deserve.

Quote:
As I said before, I do not claim to know everything about any subject.

Never said you did.

Quote:
I have read every scrap of information about them that I could get my hands on, and I know very well that the information was most likely not very accurate, but from what little I have learned, I like.

If the little you learned is wrong, how can you really like that group? You only like this idea you've created or other people have created that isn't real.

Quote:
And to whoever said this (can't remember who) I did not come in here and ask you to spill all your secrets.

You came in and lazily asked as general of a question possible, basically asking us to give you our knowledge on religion. They are essentially the same thing.

Well, not to sound rude, but unless you are inside my head, a psycic, or a doctor, I'm pretty sure you don't know how my focusing issues effect me. Also, I am really trying here. I even found another specific question. Also, I didn't ask a general question, I asked how you came across your gods if you have any. That sounded pretty specific to me. But whatever, I'm tired of fighting. I'm just going to let you attack me until your finished and have it all out of your system.  

ShadowCatSoul

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:23 pm
ShadowCatSoul

About the medicine part, I don't need focus pills. I've solved my memory problems on my own and I firmly believe I can solve the other.
That's fine. Just don't belittle people who actually put in the effort to fix their problems by jumping through all the hoops to get and maintain their meds by portraying your effort as more valid than theirs.

Quote:
And aboaut the entitlement, I never asked for anyone's secrets. That wouldn't be right.
You asked "Can someone please help me understand what this all means?", when you weren't met with an answer that validated your sense of entitlement (as was noted by Deo), you wobbled between indignation, passive aggressiveness and apology- all the while expecting us to hand over a cure for your problem.

Have you even looked in Pathways?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 09, 2009 10:58 pm
TeaDidikai
Have you even looked in Pathways?

If you haven't, Shadow Cat, I highly recommend that you do! Even if you end up like me, kind of confused from all the information, it's such a brilliant place to start!

A few people here have made some very lovely, and detailed, posts about their particular paths. 3nodding  

Ashley the Bee

patch99329

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 1:01 am
ShadowCatSoul
but do any of you know much about Ares? Besides him being god of war?

Ares. Not the patron of weird a** social/environmental activism like some people like to think now. I see it as a gross misinterpretation of him. I can't imagine him caring about such things, unless activism involves pointy ash spears, y'know?

Here is a page to get you started. http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Ares.html
Can't go wrong with theoi.com. wink  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 10:50 am
ShadowCatSoul

Well, not to sound rude, but unless you are inside my head, a psycic, or a doctor, I'm pretty sure you don't know how my focusing issues effect me.

I usually find when someone says, "not to sound rude" or "please don't be offended" that they're purposefully saying something they know is rude or offensive and are hoping to escape any backlash with their dishonest disclaimer.

Luckily for you I really don't care if you're rude to me or not.

As for your claim, when you understand how a given mental issue works, you can extrapolate how it would work in other people. Now it's possible that your problems include more than just focusing issues and you're just referring to them as focusing issues overall. In which case I will gladly back off.

But if it's just an issue with focusing, I call bullshit on your claims that those issues are causing that lack of specificity. Laziness and feelings of entitlement are not caused by a lack of focus. You don't need to be a doctor or a psychic to know that.

Quote:
Also, I am really trying here. I even found another specific question.

I see. And I'm glad. I think you're made a lot of improvement.

Quote:
Also, I didn't ask a general question, I asked how you came across your gods if you have any. That sounded pretty specific to me.

Actually it was before that. Remember that I said that the question about gods was actually a good one? The question you asked before the gods question was the lazy entitlement filled one. Tea already quoted that one back to you and your reaction to our refusal to cater to your laziness. It smacks of entitlement.

The gods question was excellent though. I answered it as best as I could, because I myself do not have gods but I do have Aspects, which are regarded as similar by some.

Quote:
I'm just going to let you attack me until your finished and have it all out of your system.

I'm not attacking you. I'm illustrating where you're making it hard to work with you. It's called constructive criticism. And here's a bit more constructive criticism.

Acting like you're being persecuted or attacked when someone is attempting to help you or raising issues with your behavior in a civil manner is a very irritating form of false martyrdom. And using it to just dodge a discussion or escape criticism is pretty obnoxious too.

I have a problem with your behavior and I raised that problem, civilly, politely and with the purpose of helping. That's no reason to pretend you're a martyr being burned before me. And it won't change the validity of the criticism being levied on you.  

Recursive Paradox

maenad nuri
Captain

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 5:00 pm
patch99329
ShadowCatSoul
but do any of you know much about Ares? Besides him being god of war?

Ares. Not the patron of weird a** social/environmental activism like some people like to think now. I see it as a gross misinterpretation of him. I can't imagine him caring about such things, unless activism involves pointy ash spears, y'know?

Here is a page to get you started. http://www.theoi.com/Olympios/Ares.html
Can't go wrong with theoi.com. wink

Wait, seriously? Social/enviromental?

I get the physical excellence, I get martial arts and physical focus. But methinks someone isn't quite getting with the program.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 9:30 pm
Thank you all for your help. I have a bit more insight into things than I did before. And yes, Tea, pathways is one of the first places I visited when I joined the guild. Sorry for the attitude, Paradox, but focusing issues is an cause for other things I would rather not speak of, and it's hard for me to explain anyway. I'm also terrible at explaining things. And when I say "no offense" or "not to be rude", I really do mean it. I don't like to be unnecessarily rude (however I can be pushed), but I know that different people take things different ways. I've unintentionally made people mad at me before.  

ShadowCatSoul

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2009 11:09 pm
ShadowCatSoul
Sorry for the attitude, Paradox, but focusing issues is an cause for other things I would rather not speak of, and it's hard for me to explain anyway. I'm also terrible at explaining things. And when I say "no offense" or "not to be rude", I really do mean it. I don't like to be unnecessarily rude (however I can be pushed), but I know that different people take things different ways. I've unintentionally made people mad at me before.

Fair enough. I'll just leave it at that as you aren't causing any troubles right now.

Which Pathways threads did you go over?  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces