Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Shounen Ai and Yaoi Guild

Back to Guilds

A Guild dedicated to discussing Yaoi and Boy Love. 

Tags: yaoi, shounen ai, boy love, anime, manga 

Reply The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild
Things that tick you off about yaoi or shonen-ai Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Does anyhting anger you in yaoi or shonen-ai
  yes
  no
  GOLD :D
View Results

SungJewel

Magnetic Hunter

8,000 Points
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Befriended 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:35 am
A lot of what everyone says doesn't really bother me, or better yet I try not to let it bother me.

But what really bugs me is;

1. When you do find a decent yaoi/shouen-ai with good art work, character developement, story plot and is longer than one volume and it stops. Just stops. Wheather it be that manga wasn't selling well enough or something else. ATLEAST FINISH THE SERIES!

2. When you do find a series that does have a good plot line, but is interwinded with other stories, I mean please stick to one story don't make one volume that just jumps to random scenarios and couples.

3. Crappy artwork. I'm picky about my mangas. I can't stand horrible artwork, despite of the plot line is good or not. The artwork just seems to ruin it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:14 pm
Lessee. Mostly it's the whole rape is love thing, since rape is a traumatic experience no matter what your physical sex is. I mean, you sure as hell don't have as large a market for this in a hetero pairing with the girl getting raped. It's the double standard used in a bizarre way.

And, in fanfiction specifically, bashing on and twisting a female's canon character around into a total b***h just to facilitate a fan pairing. This usually happens at the same time as downplaying the male character's fault, particularly that of whichever character they want to be dominant, or if that character has a shady past. (Like say, Draco or Sasuke.)

As for the whole finishing series thing; if it's published in an actual magazine and wasn't drawing in any readers, the publishers will drop it and have the artist move onto other things, if they continue to hire that person. Scanlators and such can only work with what's available to them, and they may not have all the story available. As for those artists and authors who publish directly to the web, they often have no idea how much time and labor it takes to do a comic and get it up, so often they'll quit. It's sad and frustrating.  

Ace of Blue Spades

Questionable Cat

32,450 Points
  • Enemy of the Goat 25
  • Festive Eye 50
  • Tree's the Season 100

latitude_cat

6,700 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Signature Look 250
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:50 am
Kuo51
One thing that I hate is that no matter how long the characters have been in a relationship, whenever they have sex the Uke acts all "No! Stop! Don't!"

XIII falling stars
Girlie Hero
Vasaline is dangerous to use for a**l penetration and the it burns like a m0therf2cker if you get it in a rip--I know crying
Uh oh. eek

Plus, oil-based lube reacts with the latex in condoms & weakens it. eek

I think I just realized something.

I wasn't talking about a "rip" in the condom---I meant a rip in your sphincter. Unless you've been having a**l sex for years on end, the tissue tears even with gentle penetration. Even the smallest tears can absorb that stuff and kicks the fun away. It can also make any scartissue flare up and swell.

Unless you're using a condom the guard against an outward STD (i.e. syphilis) I can't see how the condom ripping and exposing the p***s to Vaseline would hurt...then again I don't have a p***s, so I don't know.

Sorry, just didn't realize I was making some think I was a guy ninja but it's kinda funny for me at least.

BACK ON TOPIC

Something else I have discovered that pisses me off (OMG there's an ELEVEN!!). I really, really don't like "haha-itsa-joke" stories.

Shall I explain Haha-itsa-joke?
K. Now this plot I actually read on adultfanfiction dot net. Boy A is gay, boy B is "supposedly" straight. Group C is B's buddies, mostly male. A has a crush on B. Someone from C finds out, tells B, and all devise a plot to destroy A because for some sick ********, it's funny. B gets lovey with A and records them having sex, A unknowing. B is saying dirty and mean things to A as he ******** him. A is getting into it and calling out for more. At some public gathering, C displays the film for all to see. A decides he wants vengeance, and lures B to a gay bar ( Oo ??). There A gets B coked up and ******** him on the dance floor and occasionally involving D, E, and G (because F only comes on Mondays), all this getting webcasted. B also gets humiliated by this, but now he goes to A and says "I know how you feel now. I love you." and A says "Oh that's all I ever wanted from you! I love you too!!" Happy ending....

WHAT THE ******** don't want to call this one "humiliation" because some humiliation I like ( if you've ever read the YaoiHentai mangas, the "soccer" one is a Humiliation genre I like. I also like the ones where one is supposed to be humiliated but there's a hero among the crowd).
I hated, absolutely hated that story from the site. Not just because it wasn't well thought out, but because I don't like "Let's have sex! Oh we did and I loved it! But hey! Haha, jokes on you!!" kinda s**t.  
PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 10:56 pm
I don't really get all those pairings where there is a very young boy and something like a 40 years old man... -___-''  

Choer

IIGRAYII

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 1:35 pm
Kohaku_of_Darkness
When one is hinting at the other so blatently obvious to get to gether and the other has no clue what soever, escpecially when there so right for each other and it trakes 'em three books to figure out what to do.

That sounds like the start of the relationship with me and my boyfriend! It is hard to read/watch... but it is even harder to live through! gonk  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 4:24 pm
ha the stroy about guy A and B sounds awfulXD.

I hate how hard it is to find a good fanfic. and i haven't attempted to write one cuz i know i have no freakin idea about the mechanicsXD. but i can do fluff i guess. I mean guy fluff is just as hot as the SEX to me. escpecially if there is a bit of both. but don't get me wrong. i don't want:
dude: "oh i will take it easy on you my love."
guy "I trust you darling."

What draws us to characters is their realistic qualities such as faults along with their fantastic abilities. So make the fic REALISTIC! My gosh! who says that kind of crap in real life???? oh my honey. no no no! and then some are too blatantly rough. and the character doing the rough sex isn't even sadistic like that! Or making one character WEAK. when they are not. ok some guys if you knock them down they are gonna fight back dang it! just make it realistic, put feeling into it, have a plot, give explanations.

no-
dude: hey.
guy: what do you want?
dude: you know what i want.

just out of the blue? i mean i can understand if the dude has been looking at the guy for a while, but when it is just out of nowhere- and it just appears random like the dude woke up and said hey i wanna screw guy. and then it just ends with" and so they spent the night together."
? grrrrrrrr  

eartianwerewolf

vampyses

8,450 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Invisibility 100
  • Sausage Fest 200
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 10:02 pm
Lets see sometimes I think theirs not enough sex (I'm not a perv....smiles)...I dont want to be misunderstood...but for example lets choose Fake....you get these really huge sexual tensions between the two characters then you get to the end....and Bam thats all we get come on.....I'm left wanting more....There are some great ones like Finder series...you get alot their....I do like more then just sex like the ones that make you cry....it has u curled up in a ball with a big smile on yr face for u feel the love the two couples have like Hero Heel or Only the ring finger knows.....Guess thats that.... rolleyes  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:32 pm
Okay, this is a big reason why I don't really read much yaoi or shonen-ai period. I still like guy/guy, very much so. However, all of the stuff I've seen on the internet or on bookshelves have been more or less copypasta. From the front cover, I can automatically tell who is the seme and who is the uke, and every yaoi fanfic or manga has just about the same plot and cliches as the last.

Seme wants uke, and uke secretly wants seme, but furiously denies it. You have the rival seme and some kind of tug of war, the chick trying to bag the obviously gay men, and the uke going "no no no" when he means "yes yes yes". Eventually things build up to a climax, the main seme and uke talk and realize they want each other, then buttsmex.

The biggest things that piss me off about yaoi are, besides the copypasta plot described above, as follows:

1) Lack of talking about or acknowledgment of the LGBTQ life and society problems. When has anyone in a manga ever come out and say "I'm gay"? Gravitation did, and then they tried to take it back a few books later. No one has to deal with the self-discovering or coming out process. No one (except the random homophobe) has any surprise or approval/disapproval of their friend's new-found homosexuality. No one talks about STDs, no gay bars, or no talking about Japan's utterly back-asswards views/legislation against homosexuals.

2) No bisexuals. Yes, I know the trope, but it really annoys me. I'm bi, and it's a completely different experience than being flat-out gay or lesbian. This is more a personal gripe about the media's representation of sexuality on a whole rather than just Japanese related stories. It always has to be one gender or the other, and bis are apparently just people who can't decide.

3) No consequences to rape or molestation. Not only is rape psychologically damaging, with extreme cases requiring a lot of therapy, but physical damage as well. A small, virgin male who gets anally raped is going to be hurting for a while. However, in most depictions, he's a little sore for about a day, but then perfectly fine from thereon out. No problems whatsoever with trusting people, physical contact, or sexual contact in any way.

In addition to that, the seme who committed the crime does not get punished at all. No one who learns about what happens is sickened by the sight of the seme, the uke goes right back to trusting him, forgiving him in a ridiculous amount of time. He never has to deal with the consequences of his actions, and while I do acknowledge rape fantasies as a legitimate fetish, glorifying rape is something I am not cool with. It does not send a good message to the readers about how to think of themselves as sexual beings, portrays an immature and dangerous way of thinking about relationships as a good thing, and it is completely unrealistic as to how such a violent crime affects people in the real world.

3) Yaoi fangirls who go and flame yuri, and yuri fanboys that go and get all pissy about yaoi. Both are about love between two people, regardless of gender. This has been bothering me for years, and I've written several rants about it.

I guess my main issue is that most yaoi is written by either Japanese housewives or pre-teen American girls. Both groups usually do not have any idea or level of comfort with their own sexualities, let alone the sexuality of a gay man in either Japan or America.....*sigh*

Dream_Fluxx

IIGRAYII

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 5:00 pm
Lycan_no_Chaos, you have made a lot of wonderful points that I agree with. I especially second the "bisexual" part. Apparently characters can only go one way or the other. rolleyes

Hmmm... and as much as I believe that watching the "coming out of the closet" process would be interesting, I also feel that it would be almost difficult. It is a very harsh thing to live through so I doubt many would want to read that drama- as realistic as it may be. I guess it would serve a good purpose though; to help others along in that situation... but I personally think I would struggle a bit. Going through it myself is more than enough for me. sweatdrop (but that is just my two cents on the topic)  
PostPosted: Tue Apr 28, 2009 11:17 pm
Lycan_no_Chaos
Okay, this is a big reason why I don't really read much yaoi or shonen-ai period. I still like guy/guy, very much so. However, all of the stuff I've seen on the internet or on bookshelves have been more or less copypasta. From the front cover, I can automatically tell who is the seme and who is the uke, and every yaoi fanfic or manga has just about the same plot and cliches as the last.

Seme wants uke, and uke secretly wants seme, but furiously denies it. You have the rival seme and some kind of tug of war, the chick trying to bag the obviously gay men, and the uke going "no no no" when he means "yes yes yes". Eventually things build up to a climax, the main seme and uke talk and realize they want each other, then buttsmex.

The biggest things that piss me off about yaoi are, besides the copypasta plot described above, as follows:

1) Lack of talking about or acknowledgment of the LGBTQ life and society problems. When has anyone in a manga ever come out and say "I'm gay"? Gravitation did, and then they tried to take it back a few books later. No one has to deal with the self-discovering or coming out process. No one (except the random homophobe) has any surprise or approval/disapproval of their friend's new-found homosexuality. No one talks about STDs, no gay bars, or no talking about Japan's utterly back-asswards views/legislation against homosexuals.

2) No bisexuals. Yes, I know the trope, but it really annoys me. I'm bi, and it's a completely different experience than being flat-out gay or lesbian. This is more a personal gripe about the media's representation of sexuality on a whole rather than just Japanese related stories. It always has to be one gender or the other, and bis are apparently just people who can't decide.

3) No consequences to rape or molestation. Not only is rape psychologically damaging, with extreme cases requiring a lot of therapy, but physical damage as well. A small, virgin male who gets anally raped is going to be hurting for a while. However, in most depictions, he's a little sore for about a day, but then perfectly fine from thereon out. No problems whatsoever with trusting people, physical contact, or sexual contact in any way.

In addition to that, the seme who committed the crime does not get punished at all. No one who learns about what happens is sickened by the sight of the seme, the uke goes right back to trusting him, forgiving him in a ridiculous amount of time. He never has to deal with the consequences of his actions, and while I do acknowledge rape fantasies as a legitimate fetish, glorifying rape is something I am not cool with. It does not send a good message to the readers about how to think of themselves as sexual beings, portrays an immature and dangerous way of thinking about relationships as a good thing, and it is completely unrealistic as to how such a violent crime affects people in the real world.

3) Yaoi fangirls who go and flame yuri, and yuri fanboys that go and get all pissy about yaoi. Both are about love between two people, regardless of gender. This has been bothering me for years, and I've written several rants about it.

I guess my main issue is that most yaoi is written by either Japanese housewives or pre-teen American girls. Both groups usually do not have any idea or level of comfort with their own sexualities, let alone the sexuality of a gay man in either Japan or America.....*sigh*

I normally don't do this, but I need to QFT(Quote for Truth) on this one. Almost all of the issues your wrote out here are my views exactly. Sometimes the fandom just astounds me, it really does.

I'll have to third the "bisexual" part as well, to go with Serith Moren on it, I find it rediculous that characters are one or the other, but never "in between."  

Hoshi no Miko

Distinct Member

5,150 Points
  • Profitable 100
  • Tipsy 100
  • Somebody Likes You 100

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200
PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2009 9:42 pm
I've remembered another one I hate.

The typical "Omigawd I just realized I'm gay and I like you. Omigawd I just realized that too! Lets smex each other" plot. No work, no drama, no nothing. Just instantaneous happy relationship. It irks me so much. Real relationships are nothing like that.

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2009 11:22 pm
Grr to no plots  

Tsuki Nushi

9,550 Points
  • Forum Sophomore 300
  • Signature Look 250
  • Autobiographer 200

Aster_Harlow

Adorable Wife

11,225 Points
  • Married 100
  • Partygoer 500
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Fri May 08, 2009 4:44 pm
What I dislike about some yaoi...

1: Bad Plot. I mean, there's no happy ending. Relationships are like rollercoasters. They always go up and down. Some days, you love each other, other days, you want to rip each other's throats out.
Just plain ol' happy and carefree lovers with no tension or conflicts just irritate me.

2: Random scenes that doesn't stick to the plot. It's like, "Hey, you're wasting space!" People just want to get down to the details. Kind of a turn off, right there.

3: Not finishing the series. It's sad. Especially when it starts to get really good, it ends, just like that.

4: Changing the character's personality entirely. One day, they're all bitchy, the next, they're yielding and submissive. Most people don't change THAT fast.

5: With characters being raped, there's gotta be hurt, humiliation, physical or emotional trauma. Rape, first of all, is having sex AGAINST your will. Being forced to do something you don't want is no walk in the park. There's gotta be tension between characters.

That pretty much sums it up for me.

The Official Shounen Ai/Yaoi Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces