Submit

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:39 am
I find the belief that America will be the new Zion to be quite interesting. What evidence do the LDS have for this belief?  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 1:28 pm
Priestley
Those passages don't state that souls exist before people are born. What they imply is that God had a plan and a purpose for creating each individual. One must think up an idea, make a plan, before one can execute it. As for Judas, if he wasn't born, he would not have committed the sin of betraying the Son of Man. That is all. Not being born doesn't imply existence before birth.

*shrug* I suppose they just speak to me differently. I'd be a little more concerned if various pastors hadn't only agreed with me, but taught it themselves. Not saying that I disagree with you. You're just right in addition to things I already hold true. smile

Fushigi na Butterfly
I find the belief that America will be the new Zion to be quite interesting. What evidence do the LDS have for this belief?

I think that it's based on something that was once said to Jospeh Smith, but my reading of the Book of Mormon was long, LONG ago and I'm not sure. Or, it could be the very idea that Jesus was last seen on earth in the Americas and therefore that is where his kingdom will be set up. Feel free to correct me though.  

The Amazing Ryuu
Captain

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:33 pm
ryuu_chan
Priestley
Those passages don't state that souls exist before people are born. What they imply is that God had a plan and a purpose for creating each individual. One must think up an idea, make a plan, before one can execute it. As for Judas, if he wasn't born, he would not have committed the sin of betraying the Son of Man. That is all. Not being born doesn't imply existence before birth.

*shrug* I suppose they just speak to me differently. I'd be a little more concerned if various pastors hadn't only agreed with me, but taught it themselves. Not saying that I disagree with you. You're just right in addition to things I already hold true. smile

I wholeheartedly disapprove of this attitude. I could use the exact same approach to say, "Those passages show abortion is a sin." The passages clearly say neither, but if you accept the approach, it is legitimate.

ryuu_chan
Fushigi na Butterfly

I think that it's based on something that was once said to Jospeh Smith, but my reading of the Book of Mormon was long, LONG ago and I'm not sure. Or, it could be the very idea that Jesus was last seen on earth in the Americas and therefore that is where his kingdom will be set up. Feel free to correct me though.

Of course, if you accept the made up history sponsored by the Mormon religion, I suppose logical inconsistencies are not that big of a leap.  
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:41 pm
I also don't agree with the Latter Day Saints movement's belief that there was period of apostacy in the church that was ended with Joseph Smith establishing Mormonism.

It's basically saying "everyone else was/is wrong and we are correct".

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 5:49 pm
Priestley
I also don't agree with the Latter Day Saints movement's belief that there was period of apostacy in the church that was ended with Joseph Smith establishing Mormonism.

Based entirely upon Joseph Smith. I mean, every Christian he/she is wrong because of the word of one man?

Define cult, perhaps?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:30 am
zz1000zz
Priestley

Based entirely upon Joseph Smith. I mean, every Christian he/she is wrong because of the word of one man?

Define cult, perhaps?

Must be how the Jews felt when Jesus came along.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:47 am
That almost sounds like comparing Jesus to Joseph Smith.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:53 am
zz1000zz
That almost sounds like comparing Jesus to Joseph Smith.

For all intents and purposes, Christianity was as much a cult of Judaism in its infancy, led by Jesus of Nazareth, as Latter Day Saints movement is a cult of Christianity, led by Joseph Smith. That's as far as the comparison goes. I was in no way legitimising the LDS movement or reducing the Christian faith by doing so.  

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:42 am
Christianity was just a continuation of Judaism, whereas the origin of Mormonism is not in the least bit rooted in Christianity.

Similar to Lutheranism, I do not think it qualified as a cult (given the vague definition of "cult," it is hard to say for sure).  
PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 3:30 pm
KraylorDePanthro

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our [own]1 conscience, and allow all men the same privilege[,] let them worship how, where, or what they may.

[Emphasis added]

...Did that just say what I think it said? Correct me if I'm wrong but did that just say that it's okay for Mormons to worship whatever they want as long as it's okay in their conscience? If not, someone please tell me what it really means.  

Romjacks

Priestley

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 8:15 pm
Spike Zantren
KraylorDePanthro

11. We claim the privilege of worshiping Almighty God according to the dictates of our [own]1 conscience, and allow all men the same privilege[,] let them worship how, where, or what they may.

[Emphasis added]

...Did that just say what I think it said? Correct me if I'm wrong but did that just say that it's okay for Mormons to worship whatever they want as long as it's okay in their conscience? If not, someone please tell me what it really means.

I'll correct you. It means that every Mormon claims the privilege of worshipping Almighty God as his/her conscience sees fit to do so. It also means that Mormons will allow other people the privilege of being free to choose whether or not to worship whatever they choose. It is a statement to say that Mormons will not infringe on a person's right to faith.  
PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:25 am
Priestley
Spike Zantren
KraylorDePanthro

[Emphasis added]

I'll correct you. It means that every Mormon claims the privilege of worshipping Almighty God as his/her conscience sees fit to do so. It also means that Mormons will allow other people the privilege of being free to choose whether or not to worship whatever they choose. It is a statement to say that Mormons will not infringe on a person's right to faith.

Thank you for clarifying.  

Romjacks

Priestley

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:13 am
Spike Zantren
Priestley
Spike Zantren
KraylorDePanthro

[Emphasis added]

Thank you for clarifying.

'Sokay, that's why we're here.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 02, 2009 7:34 pm
I had asked another person on Gaia who is a Mormon if it's true they convert their dead relatives to Mormonism, and they said it is true. It kinda creeps me out, I would certainly mind if somebody converted me to a religion I disagree with!  

Autie Lady

KraylorDePanthro

PostPosted: Wed Feb 04, 2009 11:10 am
Baptism and other ordinances for the Dead are basically done so they have the option of accepting them on the other side, where spirtual missionaries will bring the good news to those who didn't get a chance to hear it, or have thought better of it.

Only Satan, his angels, and the sons of Perdition (those who deny the Holy Spirit and won't accept forgiveness end up in the outer darkness.)
As far as I know.

The 3 Realms of Glory, the Tietiary Heaven, The Telestial Heaven and the Celestial Heaven (Which has it's own levels), are for the other people respectfully.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff