Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

Reply Thread Archive {Hot topics}
Homosexuality is a sin. and Tattoos. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Break Sage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 8:47 am
He doesn't want you to mark his body because your body isn't yours to mark for God created you. Your body is also a temple as described in 1st Corinthians 6:19-20 "Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body."

If you've already marked your body. Don't fret. We're all sinners remember? But from now on; you should do your best not to do that again.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:32 am
But I do honor God with my body- by marking it with tattoos that express my faith in Christ. Surely, I could see that tattooing Satanic images or images that inspire fear and hatred as sinful- but the tattoo I have now is a cross with a butterfly wing- a reminder of what I believe and Who completes me. My next tattoo will be in Hebrew, reminding me that I am no longer a slave to sin, but a slave to righteousness. Another one I want after that will remind me of the two great Commandments that Jesus gave: LOVE. Is that still dishonorable?  

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Break Sage

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:48 am
Fushigi na Butterfly
But I do honor God with my body- by marking it with tattoos that express my faith in Christ. Surely, I could see that tattooing Satanic images or images that inspire fear and hatred as sinful- but the tattoo I have now is a cross with a butterfly wing- a reminder of what I believe and Who completes me. My next tattoo will be in Hebrew, reminding me that I am no longer a slave to sin, but a slave to righteousness. Another one I want after that will remind me of the two great Commandments that Jesus gave: LOVE. Is that still dishonorable?

I would ask God personally before I put on a tattoo. Like I said; your body is a temple for the Holy Spirit.  
PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 3:13 pm
saki_hanajima7
hmm what i'm wondering is what it means by making cuttings in your flesh for the dead??

Back then they would cut theirselves as sort of a worship of demons. and sometimes they'd cut themselves and put dirt in the wounds to make a sort of ink. That's what i've heard, i could be wrong though.  

Laid_black_rose

Priestley

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 7:02 pm
Laid_black_rose
saki_hanajima7
hmm what i'm wondering is what it means by making cuttings in your flesh for the dead??

Back then they would cut theirselves as sort of a worship of demons. and sometimes they'd cut themselves and put dirt in the wounds to make a sort of ink. That's what i've heard, i could be wrong though.

Actually, the practice of scarification (making scars intentionally) is still alive today in both tribal settings (as a mark of maturity) and as a modern day fashion statement like tattooing. Home-made and prison tattoos are often made by sterilising a sewing needle and dipping it in ink to pierce/cut into the skin.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:49 pm
I don't understand why the Bible is the ultimate say on everything that God says. There are many other books out there with people who have spoken with God. Why is the Bible the final say?

Read "Conversations with God." He explains that God prefers neither Homosexuality nor Heterosexuality. God has no preferences!
Again, He has no ego. He has no need to be worshiped. All He wants to do is share his love with us, whenever we are willing to accept it.
Why should God care your sexual preference? When you experience oneness with God, I think it is very likely you'll want to spend more and more time in that state and will stop thinking about sex so much anyway.  

fromthatshow

Priestley

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:16 am
fromthatshow
I don't understand why the Bible is the ultimate say on everything that God says. There are many other books out there with people who have spoken with God. Why is the Bible the final say?

Read "Conversations with God." He explains that God prefers neither Homosexuality nor Heterosexuality. God has no preferences!
Again, He has no ego. He has no need to be worshiped. All He wants to do is share his love with us, whenever we are willing to accept it.
Why should God care your sexual preference? When you experience oneness with God, I think it is very likely you'll want to spend more and more time in that state and will stop thinking about sex so much anyway.

The short answer is that two facts about God that oppose one another are logically impossible. It's either one or the other. If 'God' says to one person "do what you like, there are no rules" and 'He' says to another "You have to do this, this and this", both cannot be true, one must be lying.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:57 pm
In Leviticus, the rational for barring both homosexuality AND tatooing is the same: Tearing of the skin. We are dealing with a group of people with dwindling numbers, and pretty much no medical science to speak of. So, what does God do? He lays down his law. Not only the moral codes, but also ones to garauntee health and vitality amongst the people.

That is also why the Bible states "A man who lays with another man"... I'm sorry for being crude, but the idea is that a**l Sex, while some might enjoy it, serves no purpose BUT enjoyment and too often will cause tearing of the skin which lays ground for infection, since this was a group that did not have clean water even to bathe in.

We no longer follow the dietary codes laid out, so I do not see the need to follow other health codes. So sometime in my life, I might get a tatoo...... Probably having to do with Superman.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 8:30 pm
Matt Pniewski
In Leviticus, the rational for barring both homosexuality AND tatooing is the same: Tearing of the skin.

This may be the most absurd comment I have heard regarding homosexuality and the Bible.

That is quite an accomplishment.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:05 pm
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
In Leviticus, the rational for barring both homosexuality AND tatooing is the same: Tearing of the skin.

This may be the most absurd comment I have heard regarding homosexuality and the Bible.

Are you going to tell me that Tatooing and Sodomy are NOT practices where skin could be torn? And that infection would NOT be dangerous?  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:22 pm
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski

Are you going to tell me that Tatooing and Sodomy are NOT practices where skin could be torn? And that infection would NOT be dangerous?

Why would I tell you any of that? None of it has to do with the fact your claim was baseless.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 7:33 am
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski
zz1000zz
Matt Pniewski

Why would I tell you any of that? None of it has to do with the fact your claim was baseless.

I just explained the base of my claim..... Weren't we looking at a list of health and dietary codes as well as moral ones? I'm pointing out how these were more based on keeping good health than anything else. That's my base.... Stopping the spread of disease in it's tracks.

I'm not even going to claim this means homosexuality is not a sin, that's a whole different debate that will have everyone wanting to kill eachother.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 6:25 pm
Did you find something in the Bible that actually says such is the reason for the passage?

You certainly did not provide it if so, hence calling your claim baseless.  
PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:18 pm
zz1000zz
Did you find something in the Bible that actually says such is the reason for the passage?

You certainly did not provide it if so, hence calling your claim baseless.

My claim is based on logic. The law simply forbids these things, and I'm trying to explain why it is so important, or at least was at the time.

Nobody asks about dietary restrictions, but in our mind we all know it's because certain animals carry certain germs, and careful preperation is necessary. But we don't ask why, we just accept it, and we know this.

This is the same thing, really. There are things that were dangerous at the time that are not dangerous now.

Tatooing especially was very, VERY risky.  

Matt Pniewski

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Sun Jan 25, 2009 11:28 pm
In other words, there was no biblical basis for your claims.  
Thread Archive {Hot topics}

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff