• Popular Thread 100
  • Flatterer 200
  • Forum Dabbler 200
PostPosted: Wed Jan 13, 2010 9:11 am
Shadow__Dweller
Esoteric Order of Dagon
Shadow__Dweller
Vampire lockk
I have a huge selection of vampires that I absolutely love. Each one for many different reasons. The reason I think vampires how become popular again is because there are lots of book series and movie series that have been coming out in the last couple years that have a huge fan base. Twilight I'm sure is a big part of it, but I don't think that it's the only reason.

Vampire books have been around for ages though, so why is it just now that people are finding them more popular?

People are actually reading. Notice how the shelves are now filled with "teen vampire romance"? Publishers are hoping to make a buck and a half off the new Twitlight phenomena. Hopefully, when the last movie gets made, this whole thing will blow over.

Yeah you're right. Whenever I go to try and find a suitably decent "gothic style" book or a vampire novel all I can find are loads of teen romances or adult erotic romances....can't anyone write a decent vampire novel that isn't for the sole purpose of being romantic or erotic?

I don't know. All the good vampire books are always the older ones. I've not yet found a good recent vampire book.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:53 am
Give me a clasic vampire movie n im ther ye i like the consept of the twilight saga but c'mon the sparkles????? What on earth?!?!?!
I just love the old vampires no mader who thy r.

Jess Emerson

My_Prison_Of_Pain

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2010 12:12 pm
Doomed Jess Hale
Give me a clasic vampire movie n im ther ye i like the consept of the twilight saga but c'mon the sparkles????? What on earth?!?!?!

Have you noticed that Edward's face is the shape of a foot?
You are so right, normal vamps don't sparkle, the ones who do are gay ^-^  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 5:23 am
My_Prison_Of_Pain
Doomed Jess Hale

Have you noticed that Edward's face is the shape of a foot?
You are so right, normal vamps don't sparkle, the ones who do are gay ^-^

or a lesbo if they are a girl!lol twilight is gay beond extremes!!  

cm112233cool

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2010 8:39 am
I prefer modern vampire novels to old one. In the old ones they are always the horror monsters that are very inhuman, and I like the modern vampires who just immortal humans. I like how they are a representation of all the subconscious sins that we actually want to commit. I also like their sexiness. I like the urban vampire rather than the one who lives in a castle and looks like a bat. However, I don't like Twilight. That's just pathetic teen romance.
My favourite vampire novels are Anne Rice's. I adore the pyschology behind her characters and she is the mother of the modern vampire in today's culture. Bram Stoker may have created the very first vampire from old folk tales that already existed, but it is Anne Rice who created the vampire as we see it today. She has taken the myths and themes that Stoker just touched upon and really emphasised them, such as the sexuality and outsider appeal of the vampire and applied it to our modern world. I love how she even thinks of the pyschology of the characters; she has put herself in the mind of a vampire and considered how they would actually feel rather than just making them a simple monster that drinks blood.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:32 pm
i still havent found a good gorey-non sparkely-vampire book. i pearsonally think that the twilight books are s**t, i just want a good decent, scary vampire book, i mean, cmon!  

ttoki

Shy Pumpkin

cm112233cool

6,050 Points
  • Bunny Spotter 50
  • V-Day 2011 Event 100
  • Invisibility 100
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:38 am
Isu2u Sohma
I remember watching Moonlight when nothing else was on. I liked the main character, Mick the best...has anyone else seen it? What did you think?
I thought it was a bit cheesy, but still entertaining.

i did and then they cancelled it, i was mad, but now im over it.  
PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 10:12 am
a_very_broken_angel
i still havent found a good gorey-non sparkely-vampire book. i pearsonally think that the twilight books are s**t, i just want a good decent, scary vampire book, i mean, cmon!

Try Anne Rice's Vampire Chronicles.  

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

ttoki

Shy Pumpkin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 2:06 pm
Shadow__Dweller
a_very_broken_angel

omg, thank you. now all i need is a library.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 3:37 pm
Vampiric_will
Shadow__Dweller
Esoteric Order of Dagon
Shadow__Dweller
Vampire lockk
I have a huge selection of vampires that I absolutely love. Each one for many different reasons. The reason I think vampires how become popular again is because there are lots of book series and movie series that have been coming out in the last couple years that have a huge fan base. Twilight I'm sure is a big part of it, but I don't think that it's the only reason.

Vampire books have been around for ages though, so why is it just now that people are finding them more popular?

People are actually reading. Notice how the shelves are now filled with "teen vampire romance"? Publishers are hoping to make a buck and a half off the new Twitlight phenomena. Hopefully, when the last movie gets made, this whole thing will blow over.

Yeah you're right. Whenever I go to try and find a suitably decent "gothic style" book or a vampire novel all I can find are loads of teen romances or adult erotic romances....can't anyone write a decent vampire novel that isn't for the sole purpose of being romantic or erotic?

I don't know. All the good vampire books are always the older ones. I've not yet found a good recent vampire book.

I've found several good vampire detective/film noir style stuff, and some of it is recent. Some of them have sex, but its brief and not part of the plot (and as such I do not call it a romance book, in which the plot or a significant portion of the plot is about the romance)

There is also a lot of Urban fantasy that, while not strictly vampires, lends itself well in lue(I haven't the slighted how this word should be spelt) of a good vampire book.  

Storm Daughter

Distinct Prophet

Storm Daughter

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:12 pm
Shadow__Dweller
I prefer modern vampire novels to old one. In the old ones they are always the horror monsters that are very inhuman, and I like the modern vampires who just immortal humans. I like how they are a representation of all the subconscious sins that we actually want to commit. I also like their sexiness. I like the urban vampire rather than the one who lives in a castle and looks like a bat. However, I don't like Twilight. That's just pathetic teen romance.
My favourite vampire novels are Anne Rice's. I adore the pyschology behind her characters and she is the mother of the modern vampire in today's culture. Bram Stoker may have created the very first vampire from old folk tales that already existed, but it is Anne Rice who created the vampire as we see it today. She has taken the myths and themes that Stoker just touched upon and really emphasized them, such as the sexuality and outsider appeal of the vampire and applied it to our modern world. I love how she even thinks of the pyschology of the characters; she has put herself in the mind of a vampire and considered how they would actually feel rather than just making them a simple monster that drinks blood.

Actually, Bram Stoker 's novel is the parent of Anne Rice and all subsequent vampire novels. Yes, his vampire was evil, but Dracula was not a Zombie, which is what vampires ARE in folk lore. Blood/chi sucking zombies. They're really very lame. Peasants just scare easy.

Also, Anne Rice's vampire 'rules' or 'mechanics' are heavily influenced by Stoker. The exchange of blood was from Stokers mythos, as was the sunlight bit. Dracula could also awaken during the day, and sunlight was only a discomfort, not death. ALSO the staking did not kill him either, it was the removal of the head. The staking only facilitated removing the head.

I like the more modern books better as well, but only if they are done right. I also DON'T like it when vampires are "inherently evil" or are adversely effected by holy symbols. I like them better when they are like viral predators.

Ironically,vampires as we know them today have alot more in common with werewolves. They're more like werewolf succubi/incubui that do not turn into beasts.

Finally, Bram Stoker was a moron. He did very incomplete research (vampires bats are very small, and he put in his book that they were abnormally large) Vlad Ţepeş (Tsepesh) Dracula (Which is Romanian for Son of the devil or dragon, because his father was Vlad Dracul(Dragon) and a member of the order of the dragon) Prince of Walachia had NO influence on Bram stokers book other than he came across the name Dracula meaning son of the dragon in a book.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:56 pm
Keep in mind, available reasearch was limited back then. As well, he had a good idea, and he went with it. All I can say to prove it was, despite personal opions pro or con to the book itself, to prove that it was infact an amazing and remains a wonderful book to this day, is the fact that it is still around and that everyone has heard of it. That right there I think proves it isn't so bad.... I doubt Twilight will still be around 100 years from now. Maybe not, however, I just kinda have a feeling that it wont.  

Angel of the End

Storm Daughter

Distinct Prophet

PostPosted: Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:21 pm
Indeed, you are right about that: Dracula was an amazing book. It was extremely symbolic and expressive of the ideas of the time, and it also took fear of vampires and reveled it as a mirror of our fears about society. And it appeals to every aspect of humanity, regardless of the connotations it places on those.

However, Stoker wrote several other books, and they were not nearly as re known (and their really hard to read- I lost interest quickly). I suppose moron was too strong a word, but his brilliance was flickery, not a burn (Like Mark Twain. He rocked all his books.)

Twilight will be around forever, just like Harry Potter and all other cultural phenomena. However, it will probably end up as a foot note in the grand scheme of things. Like Brittney Spears.  
PostPosted: Sat May 01, 2010 8:55 am
Storm Daughter
Shadow__Dweller
My favourite vampire novels are Anne Rice's. I adore the pyschology behind her characters and she is the mother of the modern vampire in today's culture. Bram Stoker may have created the very first vampire from old folk tales that already existed, but it is Anne Rice who created the vampire as we see it today. She has taken the myths and themes that Stoker just touched upon and really emphasized them, such as the sexuality and outsider appeal of the vampire and applied it to our modern world. I love how she even thinks of the pyschology of the characters; she has put herself in the mind of a vampire and considered how they would actually feel rather than just making them a simple monster that drinks blood.

Actually, Bram Stoker 's novel is the parent of Anne Rice and all subsequent vampire novels. Yes, his vampire was evil, but Dracula was not a Zombie, which is what vampires ARE in folk lore. Blood/chi sucking zombies. They're really very lame. Peasants just scare easy.

Also, Anne Rice's vampire 'rules' or 'mechanics' are heavily influenced by Stoker. The exchange of blood was from Stokers mythos, as was the sunlight bit. Dracula could also awaken during the day, and sunlight was only a discomfort, not death. ALSO the staking did not kill him either, it was the removal of the head. The staking only facilitated removing the head.

I like the more modern books better as well, but only if they are done right. I also DON'T like it when vampires are "inherently evil" or are adversely effected by holy symbols. I like them better when they are like viral predators.

Ironically,vampires as we know them today have alot more in common with werewolves. They're more like werewolf succubi/incubui that do not turn into beasts.

Finally, Bram Stoker was a moron. He did very incomplete research (vampires bats are very small, and he put in his book that they were abnormally large) Vlad Ţepeş (Tsepesh) Dracula (Which is Romanian for Son of the devil or dragon, because his father was Vlad Dracul(Dragon) and a member of the order of the dragon) Prince of Walachia had NO influence on Bram stokers book other than he came across the name Dracula meaning son of the dragon in a book.

Yes I know that Stoker created the vampire in fiction although it already existed in myths. But Anne Rice took it a step further and modernised them. The modern vampire we see today is very different than Stoker's Dracula, and that's why I think Anne Rice is the creator of the "modern" vampire. she was influenced by Dracula but she took it to a whole new level in a way which vampires had never been thought of before. Never had we truly seen what it's like to be a vampire..what their emotions and thoughts are..we just saw them as monsters. She put them in a modern world and gave them modern pyschology...things Stoker couldn't have dreamt of. The vampires we see on TV and in books today are more like Anne Rice's vampires, dealing with modern things that we as humans actually deal with.

I guess vampires are so popular because they represent an outsider trying to fit into society...and all humans feel that they don't "fit in" in some way or another. They also represent our sexual desires or addictions...vampires are often linked to drug addicts. You could even associate them with people who are trying to lose weight but can't resist the food. They appeal to us in so many ways because we can see ourselves in them.

Twilight is for teens who have a romantic idea of being in love with someone who is broodying and dark and who says lovely romantic things but has no personality lol. Stephanie Meyers takes all the adult sexuality and violence out of the vampires because it's meant for teens, so she has to soften them, making them sparkle and feed off animals. This is what spoils her books because the violence and sexuality are the main things about vampires!  

Shadow__Dweller
Vice Captain

ttoki

Shy Pumpkin

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:37 pm
Shadow__Dweller
a_very_broken_angel

thanks a lot, i just got the first book, and i love it, thanks so much!  
† The Dark Sanctuary †

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff