Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
~Tea~ Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 11:57 am
The Indubitable Katie-Kat
I just confine caffeinated tea to times when it's okay for me to get a little sleepy or when I'm a bit jittery. Much easier.
Industrial decaf processes also add a slight metallic taste to the tea.

Quote:
I s'pose not. If I were to have any rituals, tea would almost definitely play a role. ^_^
What role would they have?

Quote:
Ouch. I think exchange rates alone would pretty much kill me. Maybe when I'm not a dead-broke college student. sweatdrop
~blinks~ Where are you?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:01 pm
TeaDidikai
I just confine caffeinated tea to times when it's okay for me to get a little sleepy or when I'm a bit jittery. Much easier.
Industrial decaf processes also add a slight metallic taste to the tea.
Which is just ew.
Quote:

Quote:
I s'pose not. If I were to have any rituals, tea would almost definitely play a role. ^_^
What role would they have?

Hypothetically? Probably relaxation to lead into it, or certain tsaines depending on the mood I want to evoke and how I react to certain flavours and scents.
Quote:

Quote:
Ouch. I think exchange rates alone would pretty much kill me. Maybe when I'm not a dead-broke college student. sweatdrop
~blinks~ Where are you?
New York state for college, but my family lives in Nebraska, so I'll be going back there in a few weeks.  

Calixti

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:09 pm
Which is just ew.
Home decaf = heart

Quote:
Hypothetically? Probably relaxation to lead into it, or certain tsaines depending on the mood I want to evoke and how I react to certain flavours and scents.
Have you thought about more esoteric applications to the flavors and color dynamics of a brew?

Quote:
New York state for college, but my family lives in Nebraska, so I'll be going back there in a few weeks.
A 125g tin is only about $25. That's actually pretty standard.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:14 pm
TeaDidikai
Which is just ew.
Home decaf = heart
I've never attempted home decaf. It may be worth a shot.
Quote:

Quote:
Have you thought about more esoteric applications to the flavors and color dynamics of a brew?

...no. sweatdrop
Quote:

Quote:
A 125g tin is only about $25. That's actually pretty standard.
It's more having to explain to my parents that I spent x amount of money on tea. They'd think it's a bit silly, and until I have a job, it's their money paying for my tea habit. They don't necessarily mind, but I sometimes feel bad. sweatdrop  

Calixti

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:19 pm
Quick and easy- brew for thirty seconds at the right temp, discard and brew again.

Works better on the White-Oolong spectrum.

Quote:
...no. sweatdrop
I'll drop you a line when I get to it in the Spirituala-Tea thread.

Quote:
It's more having to explain to my parents that I spent x amount of money on tea. They'd think it's a bit silly, and until I have a job, it's their money paying for my tea habit. They don't necessarily mind, but I sometimes feel bad. sweatdrop
Awwww... that's sweet of them.

Might try looking in local tea shops and see if you can find it cheaper.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:21 pm
TeaDidikai
Quick and easy- brew for thirty seconds at the right temp, discard and brew again.

Works better on the White-Oolong spectrum.
Wouldn't that ruin it for future infusions?
Quote:
Quote:
...no. sweatdrop
I'll drop you a line when I get to it in the Spirituala-Tea thread.
Fabulous, thank you.
Quote:

Quote:
Awwww... that's sweet of them.

Might try looking in local tea shops and see if you can find it cheaper.

Yeah...I complain about them and we have our disagreements, but I love them and they love me. heart

Sap aside, I could always request it for my birthday. >.>  

Calixti

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:55 pm
Heavens to Betsy! Don't tell me you have been tossing your leaves after a single infusion!? eek

Quote:

Sap aside, I could always request it for my birthday. >.>
Tea for Birthdays are love!  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 12:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Heavens to Betsy! Don't tell me you have been tossing your leaves after a single infusion!? eek
Gosh no. Except in cases where I drink tea before bed and the leaves are dried out by morning. Oops?  

Calixti

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 1:29 pm
Gosh no.
~deep breath~ Thank goodness. scream DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT! gonk
Long story short- many teas do not develop until their third or even fifth infusion- though many of them have pleasant aspects at the second infusion and beyond.

In no small part is this the reason that Japanese and Chinese tea culture "awakens" their leaves by "washing" them with the first infusion which is then set aside- aka discarded.  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:29 pm
Someone, once trying to be helpful and cleaning the kitchen, decided to dump out my tea leaves from the tea ball.

scream I had only used it ONCE!

also, yay teavana! (hugs her big thing of the dao ren green)  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:36 pm
Nuri
Someone, once trying to be helpful and cleaning the kitchen, decided to dump out my tea leaves from the tea ball.
Well... what do you expect. You used a tea ball. talk2hand  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 2:59 pm
TeaDidikai
Nuri
Well... what do you expect. You used a tea ball. talk2hand

Hey, it works. And it was cheap when our kickas infuser from teavana broke.  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 3:28 pm
Nuri

Heh... want to debate that Nuri?  
PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:17 pm
patch99329
Tazo tastes more...clove-y and the flavours are strong. I actually don't mind paying the extortionate prices in starbucks for Tazo teas.

Tazo puts black pepper in their spiced chai, which I do when I make it at home. I love the bite it gives it.

TeaDidikai
Kusmi is the standard "good" Russian tea.

I am also partial to Russian Caravan Tea (if you thought lapshang souchong was smokey, you haven't seen anything yet!)

But the best is the Natela Gold Standard. It's a beautiful Russian-grown black.
domokun

I will try them all. I'm always looking for new teas to try.

For the Kusmi, would you recommend the "Pack of miniatures - Russian Teas" available on their site? It has 25 gr of Prince Wladimir, Anastasia, Troïka, St Pétersbourg, and Samovar. Or would you recommend a couple specifically?

I found many sites that sell the Natela Gold Standard online, but none I've ordered from before -- do you recommend any particular business?

TeaDidikai
Hmmmm... you might want to try the bottled ones. They're milder than the home made.

Would you recommend the plain ones or the ones flavored or sweetened with juice?

Nuri

Has anyone else noticed that the Teavana site has a hummingbird that poops sparkles? I just can't get over it.

What's everyone's favorite tea paraphenalia?

I have a lovely cast iron tea pot that I just couldn't do without.

Ohhhh, and:

MagickSlushii
I wish for everyone to post knowledge about tea, and recipies here.

In terms of "adulterated" tea recipes I've got a few. XD

The first is to take equal parts black tea and dried thyme and steep as usual. This tea is good sweetened and plain. It smells divine.

My masala chai recipe is:

* A nice earthy or malty Assam, but other black teas are fun to experiment with as well.
* Cinnamon Stick
* Black Peppercorns
* Cardamom Pods
* Cloves
* Fresh Ginger

I've also experimented with anise seed and other spices as well. All very good.

My other favorite adulterated tea recipe is for a matcha (powdered green tea) shake. It's a great hot weather drink. I'm afraid I don't really do any recipe with much measuring, so I can't really give amounts. The serving I make is large, probably 16 ounces or so.

Take a "spoonful" of matcha. Add a small amount of agave syrup or other sweetener. Add just a dash of hot (not boiling) water to blend the tea, and whisk with a chasen (bamboo whisk; it should be separate from the one used for other matcha because of the extra ingredients in this recipe) until combined (no lumps, and no powdered tea left on the sides of the bowl or mug or whatever you're serving it in). Then, top off with cold soy milk, and whisk again until frothy.  

MoonJeli

Calixti

PostPosted: Tue May 13, 2008 9:24 pm
TeaDidikai
Gosh no.
~deep breath~ Thank goodness. scream DON'T SCARE ME LIKE THAT! gonk
I'm sorry! *hides*
Quote:

Long story short- many teas do not develop until their third or even fifth infusion- though many of them have pleasant aspects at the second infusion and beyond.

In no small part is this the reason that Japanese and Chinese tea culture "awakens" their leaves by "washing" them with the first infusion which is then set aside- aka discarded.
Well, that I didn't know. I'll have to keep it in mind, thank you. ^_^  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... 37 38 39 40 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces