Welcome to Gaia! ::

Reply Fantasy Books Guild
Eragon, the trilogy. Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lainy122

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 3:09 am
Hakumei_Tenshi
Any one read that book? I think it is amazing, the author was only 15 when he wrote it! I've already reserved a copy of Eldest, coming next month!

This is obviously an old post, because the second one has since come out, but I quite enjoyed this book! However, there were a number of instances/events/charactertics that screamed strongly to me of other fantasy books I had read. It wasn't plagarism, but a certain lack of originality, I found.  
PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:59 pm
I personally liked both books though I agree with Lainy about the lack of originality in parts. There are two specific parts that were straight out of David Edding's series The Belgariad: the dream sequence where he is comstantly asked if he was ready and when he was learning to use his powers.
And I agree with some of the other posts about predictability in places but overall I thought it was a good read and I'm anxiously awaiting the third one.

Also, I hadn't heard that it was being made into a film... is it in production yet or are they still working on the script? Does anyone know?  

Jesm

6,350 Points
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
  • Nudist Colony 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100

Ashtaye

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2006 5:23 pm
Jesm
I personally liked both books though I agree with Lainy about the lack of originality in parts. There are two specific parts that were straight out of David Edding's series The Belgariad: the dream sequence where he is comstantly asked if he was ready and when he was learning to use his powers.
And I agree with some of the other posts about predictability in places but overall I thought it was a good read and I'm anxiously awaiting the third one.

Also, I hadn't heard that it was being made into a film... is it in production yet or are they still working on the script? Does anyone know?

It's going to be a movie, coming out (where I live, anyways) in December.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:03 am
I remember really, REALLY likeing that book, but I don't really remember much of it. I've been meaning to re-read it and then read Eldest, but I haven't had time. I found out just how much of a b***h high school can be and how much teachers want you to read books that are major snooze-fests...  

Sol-chan

laaalalalalalalalalas

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2006 2:35 pm
yes the third should be coming out soon since they come out during this time of year....unless they make us wait 2 years instead of 1....please say we only have to wait a year....please emo dramallama  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 3:17 pm
I hate them with a passion.

Im too lazt to type out some huge rant, so just look at the Eragon hate thread for my oppinions.  

Ringopolis

I Am THE Vampire Of All

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2006 9:24 am
lladyknight1991 just go to shur'tugal.com they should have everything you need to know about the trilogy.Nobody knows what it's gonna be called thhough.But what we do know is that the dragon is going to be green(i'll have to make sure it's green and not yellow okay.Just check the website told you about earlier in this post)and a lot of people think that the rider is going to be Roran but it's not a fact.  
PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:06 pm
Lonora
I LOVE the books heart , but I HATE the author evil !!! On an interview once, the host asked him who would win between Harry Potter and Eragon. And, he said Eragon would win (quote) "Way over that Potter kid!!!" (unquote). Harry Potter canNOT be beat!!! And, it seemed like Paolini took bits and pieces and details from other fantasy books and pieced it together. Especially Lord of the Rings. gonk

Paolini Thinks he is god's gift to the world. Thats why he sucks, hes so arrogant and wont listen to Critisism. Speaking of critocism....

*NOTE*This is my copy and paste Inheritence rant. I just got to tired of rewriting them so I just made one. Feel free to copy it if you like.*

Eragon and Eldest are terrible books. The plot is so ripped from LOTR, Star wars, and Macarthy that I am surprised it was not sent back for plaugerism. Countless spelling, plot, and grammar errors also further lower the quality of reading, along with many annoying inconsistancies, such as how all the elves wear leather, but dont hurt animals. Unless the elves have somehow developed some magical way to make synthetic leather, which I highly doubt, they would have to kill cattle to make the leather. And don't give me that cheap "they took it from already dead cattle" answer. The hide needs to be removed very quickly after death, so it does not rot. Many people have also asked "HOW does Eragon/Eldest follow the star wars plot, and rip-off from LOTR and Macaffrey?"

From Wikipedia, explaining how Eragon/Eldest rips Star Wars off:

The novel also owes a debt to Luke Skywalker as the teen hero trains to be a Dragon Rider while avenging his uncle's murder" —is that the plot closely resembles that of the original Star Wars saga. Characters are also similar, down to Brom who is supposedly the last of his order. Brom's sacrifice to save Eragon resembles that of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars. The beginning is also extremely similar: A servant of an evil emperor (who in both stories doesn't make a physical appearnace until the third part of the trilogy) attacks, with an army at his disposal, a convoy bearing an object of power to a rebellion against the Empire. The servant captures the convoy and its leader, but the leader (a princess, no less) sends the object away in hopes that it will fall into the hands of a wise old wizard, who is the last of his kind. The object is found by a poor farm boy, whose family (not parents but uncle) is killed as a result, leaving him nothing to stay behind for. He joins the wizard on a quest, as well as a rogue who has no love for the "empire." They save the princess, then the three flee to the rebels. This could be used to describe the first Star Wars movie, and no one would know the difference. In Eldest, there are also obvious plot similarities to the second Star Wars film, The Empire Strikes Back, as the farmboy leaves the rebels after they have just fought a costly battle to train with a wise old hermit in a forest. He trains and undergoes a life changing experience, and later participates in another great battle to aid his friends whom he sees in a vision. He duels with an enemy only to get beaten, and learns a terrible secret about his family (Father/Brother and Father).

Also from Wikipedia, a list of Name rip-offs from LOTR:

Arya - Arwen, Arda
Ardwen - Arwen
Isenstar - Isengard
Mithrim - Mithrim or mithril
Eragon - Aragorn
Angrenost - Angrenost, the Sindarin name for Isengard
Morgothal - Morgoth
Elessari - Elessar
Furnost - Fornost
Hadarac Desert - Harad Desert
Melian - Melian
Vanir - Valinor
Eridor - Eriador
Imiladris - Imladris
Undin - Fundin/Udun

And, for those of you who dont know who Macarthy is, in hher books the dragon/rider telepathic link, mark on hand ideas were used.

Now, If you still arn't convinced Paolini isn't a plaugerizer, you either didn't read the above, or are to stupid to comprehend what I just said.

Thank you,
Ringopolis  

Ringopolis

NightIntent
Captain

PostPosted: Sun Sep 03, 2006 10:11 pm
For the love of....

YOU DON'T HAVE TO POST THAT TWICE!

Cripes. Just leave people alone. We get that you don't like the book, that it's plageurised. Good for it; but it's published, people like it, leave it alone. There's not much you can do about it for people who've already gotten and read the book.

I apologize if this post comes off as mean, which it probably does; I'm in that kind of mood. I'm stressed out and pissed off. Just stop bugging people for what they like. Take it out of this guild. Please?

Thanks.  
PostPosted: Tue Sep 05, 2006 11:20 am
Ringopolis
Lonora
I LOVE the books heart , but I HATE the author evil !!! On an interview once, the host asked him who would win between Harry Potter and Eragon. And, he said Eragon would win (quote) "Way over that Potter kid!!!" (unquote). Harry Potter canNOT be beat!!! And, it seemed like Paolini took bits and pieces and details from other fantasy books and pieced it together. Especially Lord of the Rings. gonk

Paolini Thinks he is god's gift to the world. Thats why he sucks, hes so arrogant and wont listen to Critisism. Speaking of critocism....

*NOTE*This is my copy and paste Inheritence rant. I just got to tired of rewriting them so I just made one. Feel free to copy it if you like.*

Eragon and Eldest are terrible books. The plot is so ripped from LOTR, Star wars, and Macarthy that I am surprised it was not sent back for plaugerism. Countless spelling, plot, and grammar errors also further lower the quality of reading, along with many annoying inconsistancies, such as how all the elves wear leather, but dont hurt animals. Unless the elves have somehow developed some magical way to make synthetic leather, which I highly doubt, they would have to kill cattle to make the leather. And don't give me that cheap "they took it from already dead cattle" answer. The hide needs to be removed very quickly after death, so it does not rot. Many people have also asked "HOW does Eragon/Eldest follow the star wars plot, and rip-off from LOTR and Macaffrey?"

From Wikipedia, explaining how Eragon/Eldest rips Star Wars off:

The novel also owes a debt to Luke Skywalker as the teen hero trains to be a Dragon Rider while avenging his uncle's murder" —is that the plot closely resembles that of the original Star Wars saga. Characters are also similar, down to Brom who is supposedly the last of his order. Brom's sacrifice to save Eragon resembles that of Obi-Wan Kenobi in Star Wars. The beginning is also extremely similar: A servant of an evil emperor (who in both stories doesn't make a physical appearnace until the third part of the trilogy) attacks, with an army at his disposal, a convoy bearing an object of power to a rebellion against the Empire. The servant captures the convoy and its leader, but the leader (a princess, no less) sends the object away in hopes that it will fall into the hands of a wise old wizard, who is the last of his kind. The object is found by a poor farm boy, whose family (not parents but uncle) is killed as a result, leaving him nothing to stay behind for. He joins the wizard on a quest, as well as a rogue who has no love for the "empire." They save the princess, then the three flee to the rebels. This could be used to describe the first Star Wars movie, and no one would know the difference. In Eldest, there are also obvious plot similarities to the second Star Wars film, The Empire Strikes Back, as the farmboy leaves the rebels after they have just fought a costly battle to train with a wise old hermit in a forest. He trains and undergoes a life changing experience, and later participates in another great battle to aid his friends whom he sees in a vision. He duels with an enemy only to get beaten, and learns a terrible secret about his family (Father/Brother and Father).

Also from Wikipedia, a list of Name rip-offs from LOTR:

Arya - Arwen, Arda
Ardwen - Arwen
Isenstar - Isengard
Mithrim - Mithrim or mithril
Eragon - Aragorn
Angrenost - Angrenost, the Sindarin name for Isengard
Morgothal - Morgoth
Elessari - Elessar
Furnost - Fornost
Hadarac Desert - Harad Desert
Melian - Melian
Vanir - Valinor
Eridor - Eriador
Imiladris - Imladris
Undin - Fundin/Udun

And, for those of you who dont know who Macarthy is, in hher books the dragon/rider telepathic link, mark on hand ideas were used.

Now, If you still arn't convinced Paolini isn't a plaugerizer, you either didn't read the above, or are to stupid to comprehend what I just said.

Thank you,
Ringopolis

you already said that in my thread and i don't care what you think.I love the book.So stop saying that it's awful cause a lot of people like it.I agree wth NightIntent  

I Am THE Vampire Of All

suki-chan24

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 6:52 pm
ninja heart ninja

there is going 2 be a movie.ya know

heart ninja heart

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:27 pm
Throw Lord of the Rings, Star Wars, and Dragon Riders of Pern into a blender and you'll have the Eragon trilogy. no orginality, no sense of emotion, and Paolini has a serious elf fetish he needs to see someone about.  

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Sep 20, 2006 9:35 pm
Paolini should burn in literary hell exclaim exclaim exclaim exclaim  
PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 3:38 pm
The books are very interesting. I love reading them and I can't wait till the third one comes out. I am also waiting for the movie....but im not going to get my hopes up.  

Lilbabyboo1221

Maze353

Questionable Tactician

PostPosted: Wed Oct 04, 2006 6:52 pm
crap!  
Fantasy Books Guild

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items