Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian Art Mentors

Back to Guilds

Where artists are paired in a mentor/mentee fashion to share their knowledge. 

Tags: artists, mentor, mentee, learning, drawing 

Reply Sketchbooks [Get crits here! Open to everyone]
Call Me Stephanie's Sanctuary [WIP: 7/5/08] Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 6:47 pm
Thanks so much!

Anyone have anything to say about the coloring?  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 11:48 am
Updated ^_^  

Call Me Stephanie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 3:08 pm
I made you a redline! biggrin

User Image

First of all, I think that her breasts are too close together. The one on our left should be more to the left... unless she's wearing some kind of lingerie that pushes her boobies together (which wouldn't be too much of a surprise, considering the nature of your commissions).

Secondly, I think that both of their shoulders should be raised. The female's should be because that's a side effect of pushing the chest out (which is very good for asserting confidence / dominance in body language), and the male's should be because he has to raise his arms in order to have them behind his head.

I also thought that their torsos were a little too boxy... this may have been because you were still working with guidelines, I don't know. Also, I noticed that the female's ankle was a little thick. It caught my eye because it's something I do all the time, too. xd

The male's legs seemed a little too long and like they were shaped strangely, but that may have just been me. When fleshing out the arms / legs, it helps me to draw each muscle individually. Even if I'm just going to erase it later, it still gives off the illusion of muscle tone-- which is a very good thing for males, since the ideal male is expected to be kind of buff.

I hope that helps! This is a very good idea, and I love the way you executed it.  
PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2007 8:09 pm

Sadly I totally scrapped that idea for something else... but thank you for the tips. I'll keep those in mind. ^_^

If you'd really like (I don't expect you to) you can red line this. I've already added some details though. Help with those would be great though. The male really needs work sadly... I don't know how to position those arms so they look right. gonk

User Image

Call Me Stephanie

Yuri Mono

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 11:53 am
Ooohhh. I absolutely love these!
I cant wait till they're finished.
The staff isnt as straight as it should be though, esp towards the actual trident part.

Maybe have the guy looking towards her a bit more? Hee looks like he's staring at something random... Maybe a meatloaf? Some random hot chick's bottom? xDD

shrug. and her foot (the one on the ground) looks like it doesnt have a boot on it. Make the bottom not so wide, and the tip of the foot come to more of a point. And smooth out the lines on the calves. They're kinda wobbly.

I still LOVE IT!!! Nice pose and such.  
PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 4:09 pm
I think what's wrong with his shoulders here is exactly what was wrong with the male's shoulders in the other drawing. The shoulders raise as the arms are lifted, and right now the shoulders / arms are slack, as though they should be at his sides, but they are pushed towards his head instead, which makes them look sort of fractured. Just raise the elbows, and have the arms come out of them in a straight line.  

Ishrie

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 05, 2007 7:13 am
K thanks ^_^  
PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:25 pm
i think that since in the ref pic his head is back because she's standing on his chin (haha) you can see his face, but since the mood is different here, especially with the male, he should be looking up at her, so you're really viewing the top and back of his head, not his face. what i would do with the arms is have the points of the elbows be actually above where his body is, so that it's almost like he's doing a crunchy, holding or propping his head up to look at her. hope that helps. also, her head should be a tad larger with the proportions your using. don't forget to make the back stick out a bit. the skull is really almost a sphere, with the neck attatched almost underneathe, and the square of the jaw is what gives it that egg-like appearance at certain angles.  

s t i c k y k i t t e h

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 8:21 am

Added colored line arts by StickyKitteh

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 7:44 pm

Updated samples. It make take a while for the images to shrink 'cause photobucket is dumb like that.

Call Me Stephanie

Ishrie

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 9:22 pm
Commenting on this one.

I like the anatomy. I don't have much to crit there, other than the n****e on our left looks kind of weird. I think that if it was stiff enough to be seen clearly through the shirt like that, it would make a tiny n****e-shaped bulge in the fabric, like this. The lines defining the camel toe also seem a little bit random. Given the nature of camel toes, the only thing that's strikingly obvious are the lips of the v****a, so I think that a single curved line in the middle would work better than the three you currently have.

The rendering could use a lot of work. There are highlights, but no visible shadows, so it looks really flat. Also, the straight white against the dark skin looks kind of... bland. Try using warmer versions of your base color for highlights and colder ones for your shadows.

Your lineart is generally very smooth, but some places look wobbly or erratic... what kind of pen are you using? It looks like a ballpoint... I would advise against those, because their flow is generally very inconsistent, which makes them harder to use. The only way I've found to get a thin, clean line with a ballpoint is to hold the pen at a 90-degree angle from the paper and press very lightly, but doing this for a prolonged period of time gives me some serious arm cramps. Not fun.

My favorite kind of pen to use is a calligraphy marker, but you might not like them because they tend to make thick lines on long strokes... I'd suggest using metal-nibbed pens, or some good marker or brush-tipped pens. (Faber-Castell makes some really good marker / brush tips.)

As for your lines themselves... Definitely add some variation in there. It adds a lot of life to a piece. Here is a good lineart tutorial.

Nice work as always. Your knowledge of anatomy has improved leaps and bounds since you first started coming here... I'm guessing this was a commission, right? How did they like it?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:30 pm

As always, thank you so much for your time and input. I think I'm really afraid of using different colors for highlight/shadows because I still don't know the proper colors enough I suppose. Also, I think the lighting on my desk top monitor is still messed up because the image looks lighter on my laptop. I'll have to try and fix it again. Furthermore, I suppose I don't know what a v****a looks like through panties so I guess I ... guessed... haha. Mental note, use better references next time haha.

It was a commission but she didn't really say much by way of liking it or not. *Shrugs*

Thank you for the compliments. ^_^

Call Me Stephanie

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:16 am

New WIP ^_^

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:27 pm
hi I posted in your wedding thread  

swizzkitten

Call Me Stephanie

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:35 pm

Latest art:

User Image