Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
Metagenetics Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 6:04 am
Tsuzuki
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
I would call both of these hard metagenetics. And what happens when it's proven that no such lineage exists, such as the Japanese emperor being descended from Koreans, not kami? Would that invalidate the entire Shinto religion? I'm more inclined to go with AvalonAuggie's definition.

You ignore the fact that just because at one point there were Koreans within the Emperors line, it does not prove there were never gods in his line.
What does divine DNA look like? Surely, there must be some genetic markers signifying descent from the kami.
There might indeed be.

When they finish mapping the DNA, we can sure ask them.

However, even if there is not- that does not devalue the sense of belonging within the cultural context of a family line. Divine or otherwise.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 7:55 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
I would call both of these hard metagenetics. And what happens when it's proven that no such lineage exists, such as the Japanese emperor being descended from Koreans, not kami? Would that invalidate the entire Shinto religion? I'm more inclined to go with AvalonAuggie's definition.

You ignore the fact that just because at one point there were Koreans within the Emperors line, it does not prove there were never gods in his line.
What does divine DNA look like? Surely, there must be some genetic markers signifying descent from the kami.
There might indeed be.

When they finish mapping the DNA, we can sure ask them.

However, even if there is not- that does not devalue the sense of belonging within the cultural context of a family line. Divine or otherwise.
You'll have no argument from me there, but trying to justify that sense of belonging through metagenetics is pseudo-science at best, and at worst a breeding ground for racism.  

Tsuzuki

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 8:38 pm
Tsuzuki
You'll have no argument from me there, but trying to justify that sense of belonging through metagenetics is pseudo-science at best, and at worst a breeding ground for racism.
I have yet to see it offered up as hard genetics. It's not about that, but about the concept of a cultural lineage.  
PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:36 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
I have yet to see it offered up as hard genetics. It's not about that, but about the concept of a cultural lineage.
Barring adoption, cultural lineage and hard genetics go hand in hand.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genealogical_DNA_test

Personally, I'm partial to AvalonAuggie's definition of soft metagenetics, but hard metagenetics loses against hard science. Keep in mind that I'm not against closed societies, but you don't need theories like metagenetics to justify them.  

Tsuzuki

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 6:25 am
I think that some people may be drawn back to their cultural family history, but others may not, and that the gods choose who they call and not me. That being said, I don't consider people who are drawn to the trappings of a culture to necessarily be drawn to the gods, particularly in the case of fairly obscure sects of gods.

However, I know I have no First Nation blood in recorded history - my bloodline is all European in origin - but when I went to Arizona I was struck with a strong welcome visitor feeling and I found the landspirits to be fundamentally different and yet somehow or for some reason welcoming. I have a feeling that gods and spirits are drawn to characteristics in a person as much as they're drawn to their cultural/genetic history.

I also think that adoption is found in the majority of cultures, even one with insular bents like Judaism, for a reason.

TeaDidikai
I find it interesting that even within the pagan scene, many fluffies would claim to be Rroma and therefore display a sense of entitlement to traditions there of- where as there are far fewer people who would try and knock down the doors of a Native American Lodge or be the first ones with a chicken at the crossroads to honor Papa Legba.

As a side note to this - Voudoun is not really metagenetic. I know of some cases of anthropologists studying a Voudouienne who is then initiated into the society.

TeaDidikai
How do people feel about the balance of Metagenetic Mysteries and the respect for the culture that holds them when faced with a personal desire to learn?

Respect first, always, when possible. I know my standards and respectful behavior will be foreign in a lot of cultures and too a lot of people, though, so I try to keep mindful of that as well.

AvalonAuggie
Does anyone know of good links for info on African religions? Or Afro-American geneaology?

Not good links, but a suggestion - seek out anthropology. There's a lot of work on different African tribes (the Maori are one of my favorite!) which touches on their religious practices as well, and much of it includes how they're trying to keep some of the important practices while also being "modern."

Jishin
TeaDidikai
Odin never said people who aren't of the Northlands cannot worship him.

You know, Tea, there are a lot of folks out there who would disagree with you on that. I keep running into them. (Hence the rant on the prior page.)

Where on earth do they get that idea? It's not anywhere in the primary texts that I can find, and in fact the Norse deities mingled freely with the Jotuns and even the humans, if I recall correctly. I'm continually baffled by that.

They're racist - that's where they get it from. Many of them justify it by the Lay of Rig, but there were other humans not of Rigs descent that were still honored by the gods, so that doesn't hold water. I'm an Asatruar who doesn't much care, though; if the gods call you, the gods call you.

Tsuzuki

Actually, I've seen an article discussing the tracking of certain genetic markers through mitochondrial DNA (the mother's line) and the Y chromosome (male to male line) and identify people who have a genetic commonality at some point - for instance a whole slew of people who were found to be descendants of a specific Jew some thousand years ago.

It's interesting stuff, really.  
PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:22 pm
Deoridhe
However, I know I have no First Nation blood in recorded history - my bloodline is all European in origin - but when I went to Arizona I was struck with a strong welcome visitor feeling and I found the landspirits to be fundamentally different and yet somehow or for some reason welcoming.
it's all the german tourists and damn snowbirds. the spirits are used to people coming and going, xp .  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

Tsuzuki

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 8:03 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
Deoridhe
However, I know I have no First Nation blood in recorded history - my bloodline is all European in origin - but when I went to Arizona I was struck with a strong welcome visitor feeling and I found the landspirits to be fundamentally different and yet somehow or for some reason welcoming.
it's all the german tourists and damn snowbirds. the spirits are used to people coming and going, xp .
What, so the spirits are welcoming tourists now?  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:58 am
Tsuzuki
phoenix_shadowwolf
Deoridhe
Depends on the spirit I would bet. Pele still gets pissed off when people take pebbles from her.  

TeaDidikai

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2006 12:50 pm
TeaDidikai
Tsuzuki
phoenix_shadowwolf
Deoridhe
Depends on the spirit I would bet. Pele still gets pissed off when people take pebbles from her.
yeah, the area too. i'm sure anyone who sincerely pissed off the spirits here would find at least a handful of scorpions and tarantulas in their house, and all their pets eaten by coyotes... 4laugh welcome to arizona!  
PostPosted: Tue Mar 07, 2006 8:02 pm
phoenix_shadowwolf
yeah, the area too. i'm sure anyone who sincerely pissed off the spirits here would find at least a handful of scorpions and tarantulas in their house, and all their pets eaten by coyotes... 4laugh welcome to arizona!

Wow, I had NOTHING like that, though I did have an (un?)holy attraction to the Prickly Pear Cactus. Couldn't stop looking at them, studying them, photographing them... it was weird.  

Deoridhe
Crew

Fashionable Fairy

11,650 Points
  • Invisibility 100
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 4:13 am
Deoridhe

Wow, I had NOTHING like that, though I did have an (un?)holy attraction to the Prickly Pear Cactus. Couldn't stop looking at them, studying them, photographing them... it was weird.
I have a different kind of addition to them... I can't stop eating them! gonk  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 9:55 am
TeaDidikai
Deoridhe

I have a different kind of addition to them... I can't stop eating them! gonk
have you tried the prickly pear jelly?  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 10:59 am
phoenix_shadowwolf
Yep. Love the chewy gummies too.  
PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2006 6:24 pm
TeaDidikai
phoenix_shadowwolf
i'm almost tempted to try the tequilla pops with the meal worms in them or even the pops with scorpions...almost.  

saint dreya
Crew

8,750 Points
  • Megathread 100
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Happy Birthday! 100

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Mar 09, 2006 7:40 am
phoenix_shadowwolf
i'm almost tempted to try the tequilla pops with the meal worms in them or even the pops with scorpions...almost.I like 'em. But then, I don't have any problem eating them slightly stirfried with a bit of salt either.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<] 1 2 3 ... 4 5 6 7 [>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff