Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:10 pm

Gho the Girl
erinnightwalker
Gho the Girl
I have a question: If everything I'm doing is fluff, should I toss it all out?

is it fluff to you, or is someone telling you it is?
Objectively, yes, it is fluff,
It is?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:13 pm

TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
erinnightwalker
Gho the Girl

It is?
. . . Isn't it?

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:20 pm

Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
erinnightwalker
Gho the Girl

It is?
. . . Isn't it?
Not by my standards.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:21 pm

Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker
Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker

crappy- i have people on here attacking me because of my perception of godhood and the way that i relate with my gods (don't you just love it when a complete and total stranger tells you to ******** off, those are my gods, you can't play with them? ******** two year olds..... though i can understand part of the reason that they are yelling.... and i'm sure that they are nice people..... come on, where are those happy thoughts..... evil )

If I am correct in what you're referring to, Cu really does have every right to tell you to stop claiming those gods as yours. They aren't. They never were, and unless you are adopted into the culture in the future, they never will be.

let me rephrase that. he seems to think that his vociferous negations of my devotion to and relationship with the gods that showed an interest in me will actually affect my relationship with them. for one, nobody really likes it when somebody decides to tell them that the gods you love can't possibly want you. for another, he seems to think i just saw the names on the internet and appropriated them, not read as many of the translations of the myths as i could. i would have read the originals, but ancient gaelic wasn't offered as a foreign language here.

How do you know for sure that the gods you are honoring are who they say they are? Have you tested them?

True, nobody really likes it, but if it's the truth, it doesn't much matter of you like hearing it or not. I didn't much like hearing I wasn't actually Wiccan when I started to actually learn, but I got over it and moved on to a path that fits me better.

I think I'll ask you again here since it wasn't really answered in the open forum; why would the gods of the Celts break their oaths just to accept worship from you? I would be very interested to hear an answer on this.

And, I'm still kind of puzzled that you read the myths and such, but never came across the part where the gods specifically swear themselves to a specific people.

The more correct term is "Gaelige." 3nodding .

yes, i have tested them, though somehow i'm having the premonition that it won't hold up in Deity police court.
i'm not saying that the gods have broken their oaths. i do have some celtic heritage and i have been trying to expand on it. i try to act in a manner worthy of their attention. its a slow process and having a person come in willshe, nilshe, telling me that i'm destroying his culture and to ******** off from his pantheon isn't helping the whole "Don't eviscerate someone with a rusty spork" part of things. the big problem in communications that i think is happening is we do not see eye to eye on the meaning of celtic culture. i never interpreted the oaths to the celtic peoples as meaning that someone like me, who is trying to find the heritage that was lost, as nonceltic. a probationer, maybe, but not completely unworthy unless i get adopted by any "real" celtic clan.

erinnightwalker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:28 pm

erinnightwalker

yes, i have tested them, though somehow i'm having the premonition that it won't hold up in Deity police court.

I will ignore your snipe.
Although I ask you to try to cut back on them, as it is becoming harder to be civil to you.
Quote:
i'm not saying that the gods have broken their oaths. i do have some celtic heritage and i have been trying to expand on it.

And again, having blood does not entitle you to a culture.
Half of my heritage is Korean. But, I am not Korean and do not claim to be Korean. I am out-and-out American with Korean heritage.
Quote:
i try to act in a manner worthy of their attention.

I would say that to act in such a manner requires you to act accordingly to Celt culture and traditions.
If you are not, you are not acting in a way that is worthy of their attention.
Quote:
its a slow process and having a person come in willshe, nilshe, telling me that i'm destroying his culture and to ******** off from his pantheon isn't helping the whole "Don't eviscerate someone with a rusty spork" part of things.

Well, by taking it out of context, you are degrading it neutral
Sometimes, when the polite, civil way doesn't work, dragging out the rusty sporks does.
Quote:
the big problem in communications that i think is happening is we do not see eye to eye on the meaning of celtic culture. i never interpreted the oaths to the celtic peoples as meaning that someone like me, who is trying to find the heritage that was lost, as nonceltic. a probationer, maybe, but not completely unworthy unless i get adopted by any "real" celtic clan.

Where do you draw your meaning of the culture of the Celts?

Just because you haven't interpreted it that way, doesn't mean it isn't actually interpreted that way, you know.

It's good and well to try to reconnect with your heritage, so long as you're doing so with respect to the boundaries and such that come with it.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:31 pm

TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
erinnightwalker
Gho the Girl

It is?
. . . Isn't it?
Not by my standards.
Could you define for me what those standards are? I seem to not be as aware of those standards as I thought I was?

Gho the Girl

erinnightwalker

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:43 pm

Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker

I will ignore your snipe.
Although I ask you to try to cut back on them, as it is becoming harder to be civil to you.
Quote:
i'm not saying that the gods have broken their oaths. i do have some celtic heritage and i have been trying to expand on it.

And again, having blood does not entitle you to a culture.
Half of my heritage is Korean. But, I am not Korean and do not claim to be Korean. I am out-and-out American with Korean heritage.
Quote:
i try to act in a manner worthy of their attention.

I would say that to act in such a manner requires you to act accordingly to Celt culture and traditions.
If you are not, you are not acting in a way that is worthy of their attention.
Quote:
its a slow process and having a person come in willshe, nilshe, telling me that i'm destroying his culture and to ******** off from his pantheon isn't helping the whole "Don't eviscerate someone with a rusty spork" part of things.

Well, by taking it out of context, you are degrading it neutral
Sometimes, when the polite, civil way doesn't work, dragging out the rusty sporks does.
Quote:
the big problem in communications that i think is happening is we do not see eye to eye on the meaning of celtic culture. i never interpreted the oaths to the celtic peoples as meaning that someone like me, who is trying to find the heritage that was lost, as nonceltic. a probationer, maybe, but not completely unworthy unless i get adopted by any "real" celtic clan.

Where do you draw your meaning of the culture of the Celts?

Just because you haven't interpreted it that way, doesn't mean it isn't actually interpreted that way, you know.

It's good and well to try to reconnect with your heritage, so long as you're doing so with respect to the boundaries and such that come with it.

how am i taking it out of context? how am i degrading it? what boundaries am i crossing? i just want to worship the gods that i am drawn to without someone yelling at me, saying that i have no right to try to try and reconstruct a path and then try to share my opinions on it.
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:49 pm

Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
It is?
. . . Isn't it?
Not by my standards.
Could you define for me what those standards are? I seem to not be as aware of those standards as I thought I was?
Willfully ignorant.

TeaDidikai

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:50 pm

TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
It is?
. . . Isn't it?
Not by my standards.
Willfully ignorant.
Ahhh. Living with a skeptic makes that really hard, so mayhaps I'm lucky in that respect. 3nodding
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:51 pm

Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
. . . Isn't it?
Not by my standards.
Willfully ignorant.
Ahhh. Living with a skeptic makes that really hard, so mayhaps I'm lucky in that respect. 3nodding
Yep.

TeaDidikai

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:53 pm

erinnightwalker

how am i taking it out of context? how am i degrading it?

You are removing the gods from the proper cultural context.
Quote:
what boundaries am i crossing?

You're crossing the boundaries of trying to worship gods that have sworn an oath to not accept worship from outsiders.
Quote:
i just want to worship the gods that i am drawn to without someone yelling at me, saying that i have no right to try to try and reconstruct a path and then try to share my opinions on it.

No one is yelling at you at this point. No one is even really attacking you.

And it's not really a matter of you giving your opinion; at this point you are stating that this-and-this is what you are doing.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:19 am

Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker

how am i taking it out of context? how am i degrading it?

You are removing the gods from the proper cultural context.
Quote:
what boundaries am i crossing?

You're crossing the boundaries of trying to worship gods that have sworn an oath to not accept worship from outsiders.
Quote:
i just want to worship the gods that i am drawn to without someone yelling at me, saying that i have no right to try to try and reconstruct a path and then try to share my opinions on it.

No one is yelling at you at this point. No one is even really attacking you.

And it's not really a matter of you giving your opinion; at this point you are stating that this-and-this is what you are doing.

in the original post i made on that thread, i gave my opinion on the relationship between god and devotee. i've been defending myself ever since.

erinnightwalker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:27 am

erinnightwalker
in the original post i made on that thread, i gave my opinion on the relationship between god and devotee. i've been defending myself ever since.

Your opinion on things doesn't always equate to the way things actually are though. And you are expressing your opinion by using as an example the things you are already doing neutral
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:37 am

Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker

Your opinion on things doesn't always equate to the way things actually are though. And you are expressing your opinion by using as an example the things you are already doing neutral

yes.... researching the culture that the gods came from.... reading every myth relating to that culture i could get my hands on.... being damned careful not to offend the gods in any way.... and trying to understand why this makes me a terrible person. did i miss anything? oh, yes- having the presumption to think that a lifetime of interest and research about ancient celtic life and myth might give me enough of a connection to at least offer reverence to the pantheon.

erinnightwalker

Violet Song jat Shariff
Crew

Resilient Raider

7,200 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Citizen 200
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 12:42 am

erinnightwalker
Violet Song jat Shariff
erinnightwalker

yes.... researching the culture that the gods came from.... reading every myth relating to that culture i could get my hands on.... being damned careful not to offend the gods in any way.... and trying to understand why this makes me a terrible person. did i miss anything? oh, yes- having the presumption to think that a lifetime of interest and research about ancient celtic life and myth might give me enough of a connection to at least offer reverence to the pantheon.

It's a mistake that happens quite often, really. Either authors tend to leave out the handy fact that Celt culture is closed, or readers don't think for some reason, that they are for some reason the exception to the gods' oath.

No one is saying you aren't devoted or don't know enough. We are simply saying, that your worship is misplaced. It's really not so awful.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games