Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

ShadowCatSoul

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:24 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
How do you deal with the rage that starts to eat you up when the stupid upon stupid avalanches any attempt you are making at intellectual honesty?
It usually involves repeating myself until they understand, or a good flyting.
I do so enjoy a good flyting.
3nodding
Especially when it is well deserved.
Deo man... can that girl give a flyting or what?
I think I remember seeing a few wicked turns of the tongue from her.

I have to admit that I especially appreciate flyting between friends. It's generally led to better understanding of each other, and closer friends in my experience. If our friendship can't survive some heated words, I tend to not be that close to that person anyways.

Ha! Ain't that the truth. My best friend (we're more like sisters) Crystal and I have had our fair share of wicked words towards each other, but we're as close as we've ever been.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:28 am
TeaDidikai
Synnthetika

What kind of tests? Some ideas that I have are questions like "How much sleep have you had," "have I imbibed this evening?," "does anyone else 'feel' anything," (when applicable). Is there anyway this can improve?
Checking for resonance is good, but again, what kinds of tests depend by in large as to the kind of experience.

Are you familiar with Lucid Dreaming?

Vaguely. I mean, I have had at least one lucid dream, but I had been on drugs for a while during the time it happened. Just to be sure we're on the same page, lucid dreaming is a dream in which you can effect the dream in some way, right? I don't know how to lucid dream "on command" or a similar concept. I wouldn't mind learning how to do it though.  

Synnthetika

5,400 Points
  • Contributor 150
  • Dressed Up 200
  • Forum Regular 100

Namikikyo

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:29 am
TeaDidikai
Namikikyo
Here's a stupid question;

Who are "The Guardians of the Watch Towers"?

What makes them so important? Where are these towers and what are the guarding in there?
Depends on the tradition. Which one are you working with?

None at the moment. I was considering doing a little something-something if I figured them out or what they did, but I only thought there was one tradition that had them.

How many traditions have them?

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:33 am
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet
How do you deal with the rage that starts to eat you up when the stupid upon stupid avalanches any attempt you are making at intellectual honesty?

I'm working on the patience to do the former and I used to do A LOT of the latter. I gave it up because while it was entertaining at the time, it didn't do much to further understanding on both sides. And if nothing gets accomplished but a pissing contest, then any attempt I make to educate is a huge waste of time.  

Bastemhet

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:36 am
Synnthetika

Vaguely. I mean, I have had at least one lucid dream, but I had been on drugs for a while during the time it happened. Just to be sure we're on the same page, lucid dreaming is a dream in which you can effect the dream in some way, right? I don't know how to lucid dream "on command" or a similar concept. I wouldn't mind learning how to do it though.
I'm not in a position to teach you how to lucid dream, but the ability to effect and challenge an experience in a way akin to lucid dreaming is a test I commonly use myself.

Namikikyo
None at the moment. I was considering doing a little something-something if I figured them out or what they did, but I only thought there was one tradition that had them.

How many traditions have them?
Couldn't say. I know of at least three traditions that use the phrase, largely because they stem from CM practices. How many are out there is beyond me.

Why would you want to use them?  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:44 am
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

I'm working on the patience to do the former and I used to do A LOT of the latter. I gave it up because while it was entertaining at the time, it didn't do much to further understanding on both sides. And if nothing gets accomplished but a pissing contest, then any attempt I make to educate is a huge waste of time.
Well, the trick is good flyting. A simple pissing match is not so much good flyting, at least not to me, but then that's just me.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
  • Luminary Melee Champion 200

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:47 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Well, the trick is good flyting. A simple pissing match is not so much good flyting, at least not to me, but then that's just me.

I do not doubt that I'm probably not good at it. Again, bad temper, low patience, and I start writing with anger. It also doesn't help that the person on the other end usually doesn't seem capable of cleverness.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:49 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

True that. Flyting is an artform after all.  

TeaDidikai

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:53 am
Bastemhet
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

I do not doubt that I'm probably not good at it. Again, bad temper, low patience, and I start writing with anger. It also doesn't help that the person on the other end usually doesn't seem capable of cleverness.
It's not a matter of just you being good at it. Depending of the context of flyting, it's not supposed to incite further anger, so if that's what their doing, they're being bad at it too. In the terms of intellectual honesty, I would say that good flyting would be honing on their errs and their refusal to address them. One has to remember, flyting isn't just saying "Your mother's a whore!" before you run in and punt a guy in the head. I mean, I like the Iliad, but there's more to it than that.

Hell, their's more to it in the Iliad. Flyting is used to establish a bond of kinship between two of the warriors, and forces them to walk away from fighting each other because they could not break that bond. All because of a little shouting of "My father's name is X and he kicks your father's a**!"  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:54 am
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

True that. Flyting is an artform after all.
And as good as Deo is, I've never seen her flyt in verse before ninja Course I prefer the free form myself >.>  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 11:57 am
Celeblin Galadeneryn
And as good as Deo is, I've never seen her flyt in verse before ninja Course I prefer the free form myself >.>
I think I have ever only seen her do free form.

Me? I'm lazy. I usually let the Havamal do most of my work for me.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:00 pm
TeaDidikai
Celeblin Galadeneryn
I think I have ever only seen her do free form.

Me? I'm lazy. I usually let the Havamal do most of my work for me.
And how.

Though I don't know if I've said it here before, but I love the Lokasenna. To pieces.  

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250

Celeblin Galadeneryn

Beloved Romantic

15,800 Points
  • Potion Disaster 50
  • Egg Hunt Master 250
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:01 pm
Also flyting as entertainment is excellent. Particularly getting two really good flyters to go at it with the purpose of entertaining a crowd. I like to call it double-fast wit.  
PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:03 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Also flyting as entertainment is excellent. Particularly getting two really good flyters to go at it with the purpose of entertaining a crowd. I like to call it double-fast wit.

Someone should make a contest of that or whatever here lol  

ShadowCatSoul

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:04 pm
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
Celeblin Galadeneryn
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

It's not a matter of just you being good at it. Depending of the context of flyting, it's not supposed to incite further anger, so if that's what their doing, they're being bad at it too. In the terms of intellectual honesty, I would say that good flyting would be honing on their errs and their refusal to address them. One has to remember, flyting isn't just saying "Your mother's a whore!" before you run in and punt a guy in the head. I mean, I like the Iliad, but there's more to it than that.

Hell, their's more to it in the Iliad. Flyting is used to establish a bond of kinship between two of the warriors, and forces them to walk away from fighting each other because they could not break that bond. All because of a little shouting of "My father's name is X and he kicks your father's a**!"

Ah, I see. Then yeah I wasn't even doing that, just being my snarky self, sometimes in a brutish manner, but more often poking fun at the situation. I don't think people get that sometimes I say things that I think are just plain stupid because I'm mocking ignoramuses and find that funny. e.g. Someone said they were vegetarian so I told them they were Unamerican. I should probably use /sarcasm since it's not fair to expect people to get that on the internet. neutral

Although now I would like to learn flyting. It sounds fun, heh.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games