Welcome to Gaia! ::

Unashamed - A Christian Discussion Guild

Back to Guilds

Tags: Christian, Discussion, Religion, Theology, Philosophy 

[OFF-TOPIC] Post here, earn gold!!!!! Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 12:44 am

Sooooo....listening to someone means having to agree with them when all is said and done?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:04 am

I think zz1000zz's point was that there are people who like to present their view believing that they are absolutely in the right and that everyone else is wrong, and they do so for their own self-righteousness.

Priestley

zz1000zz
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:24 am

Ixor-san
Sooooo....listening to someone means having to agree with them when all is said and done?

There is a difference between hearing and listening. Hearing is simply having your ears function while they talk. Listening involves thinking about what you hear. If you listen to someone, you will come to an agreement with them. Your agreement may just be, "You believe this for these reasons, and I believe this for these reasons."

My point was just hearing people who disagree with you won't accomplish anything. If you refuse to consider and discuss what you hear, hearing is no better than ignoring.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:18 am

Ixor-san
heheh. Didja check out the stuff I have going? What'd ya think? ^^

I checked out the front page I believe. I didn't go past that though. Am I even able to view past the homepage? Most guilds I check out aren't viewable to the public.

ProphecyEmpress

Dangerous Worshipper

10,300 Points
  • Tycoon 200
  • Tooth Fairy 100
  • Elocutionist 200

freelance lover
Crew

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:34 am

I really dislike it when people hear instead of listen. I'm sure I've been guilty of it and one point and time or another, but I usually at least try to hear the other person out.

Maybe it's just because of some things I've had going on in my personal life, but I think communication is one of the most important aspect or any relationship. If you don't communicate about things, problems can arise and grow into bigger problems affecting more of the relationship if not dealt with sooner. I wish more people understood how important communication was, so many problems would be avoided. Even if it just comes down to agreeing to disagree, discussing the issue is much better than letting it bottle up and fester.
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:42 pm

freelance lover
I really dislike it when people hear instead of listen. I'm sure I've been guilty of it and one point and time or another, but I usually at least try to hear the other person out.

Maybe it's just because of some things I've had going on in my personal life, but I think communication is one of the most important aspect or any relationship. If you don't communicate about things, problems can arise and grow into bigger problems affecting more of the relationship if not dealt with sooner. I wish more people understood how important communication was, so many problems would be avoided. Even if it just comes down to agreeing to disagree, discussing the issue is much better than letting it bottle up and fester.

Even worse is when people pretend to "agree to disagree." This is when they hear what someone says without listening, then pretend like they considered the other person's viewpoint. This is usually followed with a comment like, "Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs."

The statement is true of course, but part of participating in discussions is actually discussing things. If all you do is talk past people, you are just pretending to have a discussion, and that is horrible.

zz1000zz
Crew

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:54 pm

zz1000zz
freelance lover

Even worse is when people pretend to "agree to disagree." This is when they hear what someone says without listening, then pretend like they considered the other person's viewpoint. This is usually followed with a comment like, "Everyone is entitled to their own beliefs."

The statement is true of course, but part of participating in discussions is actually discussing things. If all you do is talk past people, you are just pretending to have a discussion, and that is horrible.
I'm sorry to say, but it seems to me that you are just as guilty, sometimes confused

Hawkgirl: Yeah. It's set to Private not Hidden. You can't post in it, but you should be able to read whatever is posted.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:06 am

Ixor-san
zz1000zz
freelance lover

I'm sorry to say, but it seems to me that you are just as guilty, sometimes confused

I don't think so. The circumstances are usually different, that zz's challenges go unanswered, or unsatisfactory reasoning and/or proof has been used in expressing their points of view.

Priestley

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:28 am

Priestley
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
freelance lover

I don't think so. The circumstances are usually different, that zz's challenges go unanswered, or unsatisfactory reasoning and/or proof has been used in expressing their points of view.
And who determines what is satisfactory?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:39 am

Ixor-san
Priestley
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
freelance lover

The person requiring the evidence. If someone asks you to prove something, and you provide evidence that does't convince them, it's unsatisfactory and it proves nothing- if it proved anything, then it would be satisfactory. It's like saying, "Prove to me that chairs have four legs" and someone brings me a chair with three, saying it'll have to do; that hasn't proved anything except that what the person said isn't true- chairs don't have four legs.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:44 am

Fushigi na Butterfly
Ixor-san
Priestley
Ixor-san
zz1000zz
freelance lover

The person requiring the evidence. If someone asks you to prove something, and you provide evidence that does't convince them, it's unsatisfactory and it proves nothing- if it proved anything, then it would be satisfactory. It's like saying, "Prove to me that chairs have four legs" and someone brings me a chair with three, saying it'll have to do; that hasn't proved anything except that what the person said isn't true- chairs don't have four legs.
And thus, if a person can not provide that evidence, they are required to give in and change what they believe?

Edit: Even if they've thought about it and have decided that something about the other person's logic didn't sit well with them?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:49 am

Not required by any means, but it would be rather confusing to any outsiders as to why they continue to believe something that has no compelling evidence to uphold it. Why would anyone continue to believe a chair has four legs when they themselves cannot provide evidence for it? Obviously, that's where faith comes in, but most people don't even mention that the other person has valid points. It's just "well, even though my evidence sucks, I still believe what I believe and you're wrong." Which is wrong, or stupid, or I don't know what. Any person who is actually open to discussion, rather than just wanting to prove someone else wrong, will consider the other side's view and at least afford them the acknowledgement that they may be correct, especially when all the evidence shows they are.

Fushigi na Butterfly

High-functioning Businesswoman

7,000 Points
  • Swap Meet 100
  • Millionaire 200
  • Tycoon 200

Ixor Firebadger

Tenacious Wife

32,075 Points
  • Budding Witch 250
  • Nudist Colony 200
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:16 am

Fushigi na Butterfly
Not required by any means, but it would be rather confusing to any outsiders as to why they continue to believe something that has no compelling evidence to uphold it. Why would anyone continue to believe a chair has four legs when they themselves cannot provide evidence for it? Obviously, that's where faith comes in, but most people don't even mention that the other person has valid points. It's just "well, even though my evidence sucks, I still believe what I believe and you're wrong." Which is wrong, or stupid, or I don't know what. Any person who is actually open to discussion, rather than just wanting to prove someone else wrong, will consider the other side's view and at least afford them the acknowledgement that they may be correct, especially when all the evidence shows they are.
Uh-huh...

Whatever...

I think I'm just gonna quit right here because I've already been through all this.

Just don't have the energy for it right now...
Not like it'll make one whit of difference anyway.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:06 pm

zz1000zz
I find the exchange since my last post quite odd.

I found it predictable.

Priestley

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 92 93 94 95 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games