Welcome to Gaia! ::

Gaian British Guild

Back to Guilds

A haven for British Gaians, and those sympathetic to their peculiar ways! 

Tags: britain, british, United Kingdom, english, england 

Reply Gaian British Guild
The topic which rapidly degenerated... [MISC] Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 1:43 pm
You speak like that?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 2:38 pm
The blue text does stand out.  

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200

illyrianth
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 10:32 pm
Perhaps this SHOULD technically go in to the Politics sub forum...but what the hey?

Is anyone else finding the discomfort of Mr Blair, due to the actions of three of his most prominent ministers...Is anyone else finding it deeply satisfying, as well as highly entertaining?

XD  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:26 am
Foetus In Fetu
You speak like that?

neutral

Yes...is this a bad thing?  

Invictus_88
Captain

Invictus_88
Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:33 am
illyrianth
Perhaps this SHOULD technically go in to the Politics sub forum...but what the hey?

Is anyone else finding the discomfort of Mr Blair, due to the actions of three of his most prominent ministers...Is anyone else finding it deeply satisfying, as well as highly entertaining?

XD

It's really good fun, schadenfreude is not an exclusively German trait at all.

I've been waiting for something to get rid of Charles Clarke, and this must surely be it. That man is dangerous, unintelligent and irresponsible. Now it is all so blindingly clear, I'm hoping he'll be got rid of.

Labour Party is a laughing stock.

It makes me happy.

heart

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 2:33 pm
illyrianth

XD

Yeah it is quite entertaining, except for one thing.
The foreign murders running about the country thing. That has to be good for the BNP and really, I think I'd prefer the murders running about the country than BNP in power.  

Shadow of an Illusion
Crew

Foetus In Fetu
Vice Captain

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:17 pm
Invictus_88
Foetus In Fetu
You speak like that?

neutral

It's not bad, just just a bit, uh, prim and proper. I could feasibly see you being beaten up in Nottingham. neutral

I know that when I type I tend to use more [pseudo-]intellectual vocabulary than I do during spontaneous speech. If you think about the real me as being about half as eloquent in real life, and even I had problems with people who thought the words I used were "too long" and ragged on me for being pretentious. That's all.  
PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:36 pm
Foetus In Fetu
Invictus_88
Foetus In Fetu
You speak like that?

neutral

It's not bad, just just a bit, uh, prim and proper. I could feasibly see you being beaten up in Nottingham. neutral

I know that when I type I tend to use more [pseudo-]intellectual vocabulary than I do during spontaneous speech. If you think about the real me as being about half as eloquent in real life, and even I had problems with people who thought the words I used were "too long" and ragged on me for being pretentious. That's all.

Ah, it's fine. My accent has mellowed considerably, I think it's probably the bullying that did it to me.

People still sometimes think I'm pretentious, but I'm really not. So they can sod off and die.

biggrin

Invictus_88
Captain

Boolean Julian
Crew

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 3:38 pm
I think I actually speak more floridly in realy life. Sometimes. Other times I speak in a thoroughly uneducated manner.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:10 am
Am I the only person who doesn't really care much about the whole foreign criminals thing?  

and_solo_said

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:40 am
I care, but it reflects more upon the Civil Service than the government.  
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 1:48 pm
A Lost Iguana
I care, but it reflects more upon the Civil Service than the government.

Really?

The problems were, as I understand it, presented to the government sometime last year. If not before. And the politicins didn't resolve the problems.

Well, that's how I thought it happened. But even if I'm wrong. The refusal to accept responsibility for his neglect of and ignorance of his own responsibilities reflects critically on Clarke.

This mess is beyond a joke.

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 2:34 pm
Clarke did admit responsibility: he offered to resign to the PM at the very start but his request was refused, hence, he refuses to stand down when questioned by the press. Do not spin it as if he thinks he has done nothing wrong or that he is not to blame.

The whole thing is a mess, but lets not kid ourselves. The Home Office cocked up big time and it should not need the Home Secretary to micro-manage the situation. He is culpable, but then so are all the various civil servants who are not doing their job properly. Clarke is supposed to have changed the system back in October, but this did not become public until recently.

I do not think that heads should roll every time there is a mishap. You replace a minister who knows the role with someone else. Charles Clarke, like a lot of MPs is not an idiot and I do not think that getting rid of him will serve any purpose at all.

At the moment the press have a meaty angle of the government and are twisting the knife because it is shifting papers or getting ratings.

Let me put it this way, I trust politicians more than I trust media reporting.  
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 2:53 am
A Lost Iguana
Clarke did admit responsibility: he offered to resign to the PM at the very start but his request was refused, hence, he refuses to stand down when questioned by the press. Do not spin it as if he thinks he has done nothing wrong or that he is not to blame.

The whole thing is a mess, but lets not kid ourselves. The Home Office cocked up big time and it should not need the Home Secretary to micro-manage the situation. He is culpable, but then so are all the various civil servants who are not doing their job properly. Clarke is supposed to have changed the system back in October, but this did not become public until recently.

I do not think that heads should roll every time there is a mishap. You replace a minister who knows the role with someone else. Charles Clarke, like a lot of MPs is not an idiot and I do not think that getting rid of him will serve any purpose at all.

At the moment the press have a meaty angle of the government and are twisting the knife because it is shifting papers or getting ratings.

Let me put it this way, I trust politicians more than I trust media reporting.

His blithe underplaying is rather spinny though.

I must admit, my motives for wanting his head to roll are not exactly pure. He is dangerous, really. One fewer of those New Labour buggers playing merry-hell with the constitutional workings of the country can only be a good thing.

I mean, it was quite a close-run thing making them amend the Legislative and Regulatory Reform bill so as to not award absolute power to the cabinet. Any government that awards itself more power at almost every turn, and needs strong and prolonged opposition to not walk toward dictatorship and away from local democracy needs as many heads rolling as possible.

Invictus_88
Captain

A Lost Iguana

Aged Pants

9,100 Points
  • Millionaire 200
  • Profitable 100
  • Money Never Sleeps 200
PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 4:46 am
[ Message temporarily off-line ]  
Gaian British Guild

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 55 56 57 58 59 60 ... 103 104 105 106 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games