Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 2:27 pm

I know most people here don't like Fantasy but the Times of Legend novels are so far some of the best books out there when it comes to good writing and a jolly good view into the past of the Warhammer Fantasy world. I have yet to read Malekith but Heldenhammer and Nagash are both great reads and a good start to very promising trilogies.

Heldenhammer: the book about how Sigmar became Emperor. From his first battle at Astofen Bridge right till the Battle for Black Fire Pass, the big one that forged the Empire. In between we get a great look at how the lands were back then, how Ulrich the Wolf God was the most important deity and just how great Sigmar really is. The book is trying a bit too hard to push that across, though seeing as Sigmar became Emperor somewhere around the age of twenty-something he'd better be. The book leaves you with plenty of hooks and openings for the other two books, of which one will deal with a Chaos incursion and the other with Nagash. Speaking of whom..

Nagash: I bought this book on a whim and it doesn't disappoint! The first book, Nagash the Sorcerer tells of Khemri before the dawn of the Empire of Sigmar, of a land where the people lived thanks to the Gods. Nagash is a jealous man who despises the gods and covets power. Long story short, he becomes the first necromancer thanks to Druchii and embarks on a war that will ruin all of Khemri forever. Battles and suffering aside the novel is a great insight into the Khemri of then, painting a lovely livid picture of how those lands were and what made them tick.

Also I've read the following:

The Killing Ground, which is the fourth Ultra Marine instalment by Graham McNeill. I really regret not reading this book earlier as the story is great. It is a GOOD marine book that doesn't blow or twist things out of proportion.

Assault on Black Reach: Okay but a waste of money really. It's about the same size as those free novellas that you used to get with your White Dwarf. Anyway, this is about the story behind the new starter set, where a strike force led by Sicarius is dealing with an Ork Waaagh! in a rather bland tale of courage and honour. The Thunderfire Cannon plays a small part in the story, along with the Land Speeder Storm and Scout Sergeant Telion. The latter is a true hard-a** btw, the writing does credit to the character.

Treadheads: A bad novel with bad characters, bad story and hey, just like almost all the other IG novels out there it pits those guardsmen against orks. Most characters aren't even properly fleshed out for frag's sake!
PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2009 6:01 pm

Hmm. I saw the Ultramarines Omnibus at Chapters during my last visit. Is it worth it then?

Also, I don't know if I want to keep reading the Soul Drinkers series, I finished their Omnibus and I think there's two other novels? Maybe 3? Anyways, I was able to forgive them when they figured everything out at the end of the first book.

My only problem is, they're dying off faster then Gaunts Ghosts. I mean, especially with the 4th book Chapter war, I can see some shiet going down. (Read a little prologue thing in the back of my omnibus about it.)

I'm also down to re-reading Execution Hour, which I got for free at Fan Expo in Toronto 3-4 years ago.

I have everything but the book that's supposed to come out in November of Gaunts Ghosts, Soul Drinkers Omnibus, Galaxy in Flames, The Flight of The Eisenstein, Battle for the Abyss, Mechanicus, Legion, Fulgrim, Titanicus, and Scourge the Heretic..

What else is there to grab, preferably a series.

Edit; Also, have Ravenor, but Chapters doesn't have the second book, just the first and third. -_-;
No Eisenhorn either.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2009 12:37 am

Well, the Ultra Marine novels by Graham McNeill are great reads that I wholly recommend. Graham is and will be the master of good marine fiction that isn't like the other crap out there. Way better than the Soul Drinkers in my opinion.

As for good series: the Last Chancers by Gav Thorpe, Ravenor and Eisenhorn by Dan Abnett, the Witch Hunter trilogy by C.L. Werner, the Vampire Genevieve by Jack Yeovil and the Times of Legend novels by Graham McNeill, Mike Lee and Gav Thorpe.
PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:07 am

So I'm about 200 pages into the Blood Angels Omnibus. It's pretty good so far, lots of intrigue and mystery. I really want to read more of it, but I have to pace myself.

Have the Ultramarine Omnibus being shipped to me, and I have the 4th book, but I wont read it until after the omnibus.

Sir Kyle Aziz

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:33 pm

So will Gerreon be leading the said Chaos invasion in the next Sigmar book?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:36 pm

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:42 pm

*scratches head* That doesn't look like Gerreon....dang it >.>
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:47 pm

Right, please don't read the book then if you try to decipher everything from it's cover.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:53 pm

I'm not, just thought that was your answer to my question >.>
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:55 pm

That's supposed to be Sigmar? crying

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Object of Affection 150
  • Hellraiser 500

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 2:57 pm

Yep, what were you expecting, hammer and shield with some fancy armor?
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:12 pm

I was expecting something buff and a bigger hammer. gonk

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 3:14 pm

I doubt they wanted Sigmar looking somewhat like Conan, though I'm eager to see what happens to Gerreon in this book.
PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:06 pm

Chances are, he dies for what he did and don't say that here unless you want to cough up any more spoilers. scream

Vikki Stardust

Sweet Vampire

14,875 Points
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Hellraiser 500

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:34 pm

((Spoiler! Spoiler!)) Sounds like someone is a little upset about Ravenna.
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 54 55 56 57 58 59 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games