Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Guild Archives
Release thread - Horus Heresy & 7TV Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 68 69 70 71 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:46 am
Games Workshop goes digital with their codex: Space Marines for the iPad. Read a balanced review of GW's first in hopefully a long line of digital releases here!  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 12:49 am
Lady Blodwynn
Games Workshop goes digital with their codex: Space Marines for the iPad. Read a balanced review of GW's first in hopefully a long line of digital releases here!

I'm curious how the prices are on these things?  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:07 am
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn

It's more expensive than the actual print codex.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:17 am
Lt. Brookman
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn

It's more expensive than the actual print codex.

emotion_eyebrow

"We would like to save money by switching to Finecast! This new resin/plastic/pure moon dust, while costing us even less, will cost you more. Why? Well you see because we are bringing you higher quality even though the material is cheaper. I guess we could have at least kept the SAME prices, but eh, ******** it. emotion_awesome

Oh, and we'll also be releasing plastic blisters from now on in addition. Those will also probably be overpriced. emotion_dealwithit "

"Hello everyone it's GW again! We noticed a growing trend in books going into emedia format! We decided to follow suite after seeing how all our competitors are offering cheaper PDF equivalents to their paper rulebooks.

Now, while we could have just given you a regular PDF you don't want to be like those nerds, do you? We decided to give you a customized version with our own helpful additions that you could probably do yourself. It actually costs more than the paper book, I mean, since it's easier to use, it should cost more. It's higher quality. Also it's only available through the ibookstore. emotion_awesome "

"GW again folks! We decided that due to the massive outcry of support we're going to be bringing Dark Millennium back as a Free to Play game! With the growing trend of Free to Play games we decided it would be the best way to get it off the ground! We're hosting a kickstarter with a two million dollar goal to get things rolling again!

The exciting new Free to Play version of Dark Millennium will keep your credit card information on hand for in-game transactions! We're trying a thrilling new concept where every item in the game costs ACTUAL money! Even things like bullets for your guns will run at about five cents a shot, the price of a text message! Leveling up will only cost five dollars, but once you reach endgame levels it will increase to ten.

You can of course avoid all of this with our new crossover system! If you buy a $500 Warhammer 40,000 army then you can play Dark Millennium free of charge for two months! Unless you go over your $500 credit, in which case we have to bill you for the additional expenditures and interest.. emotion_awesome "  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:51 am
STFU and Color
"We would like to save money by switching to Finecast! This new resin/plastic/pure moon dust, while costing us even less, will cost you more. Why? Well you see because we are bringing you higher quality even though the material is cheaper. I guess we could have at least kept the SAME prices, but eh, ******** it. emotion_awesome

Oh, and we'll also be releasing plastic blisters from now on in addition. Those will also probably be overpriced. emotion_dealwithit "
Part of the reason things went tits up is because GW uses the metal molds for the old line of finecast models. That and they use, spin casting was it? They should have gone with pressure casting instead, a much more efficient way of casting resin models.

STFU and Color
"Hello everyone it's GW again! We noticed a growing trend in books going into emedia format! We decided to follow suite after seeing how all our competitors are offering cheaper PDF equivalents to their paper rulebooks.

Now, while we could have just given you a regular PDF you don't want to be like those nerds, do you? We decided to give you a customized version with our own helpful additions that you could probably do yourself. It actually costs more than the paper book, I mean, since it's easier to use, it should cost more. It's higher quality. Also it's only available through the ibookstore. emotion_awesome "
It should be pointed out that the digital codex, while more expensive, does come with a complete glossary, is kept up-to-date via the iStore and has an interactive gallery granting you 360 degree views of all models. Pointless, oh yes, but GW feels that it should be included and as such, reflected in its pricing.

I'm personally more worried about the Scrolls of Binding that they sell for €0,49 each. Are these iStore exclusives or can they be found in future White Dwarf publications?

STFU and Color
"GW again folks! We decided that due to the massive outcry of support we're going to be bringing Dark Millennium back as a Free to Play game! With the growing trend of Free to Play games we decided it would be the best way to get it off the ground! We're hosting a kickstarter with a two million dollar goal to get things rolling again!

The exciting new Free to Play version of Dark Millennium will keep your credit card information on hand for in-game transactions! We're trying a thrilling new concept where every item in the game costs ACTUAL money! Even things like bullets for your guns will run at about five cents a shot, the price of a text message! Leveling up will only cost five dollars, but once you reach endgame levels it will increase to ten.

You can of course avoid all of this with our new crossover system! If you buy a $500 Warhammer 40,000 army then you can play Dark Millennium free of charge for two months! Unless you go over your $500 credit, in which case we have to bill you for the additional expenditures and interest.. emotion_awesome "
GW doesn't earn money from the games, but rather from the license agreement it has with THQ and other publishers that make use of their settings.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:55 am
Lt. Brookman
It should be pointed out that the digital codex, while more expensive, does come with a complete glossary, is kept up-to-date via the iStore and has an interactive gallery granting you 360 degree views of all models. Pointless, oh yes, but GW feels that it should be included and as such, reflected in its pricing.

I'm personally more worried about the Scrolls of Binding that they sell for €0,49 each. Are these iStore exclusives or can they be found in future White Dwarf publications?

GW doesn't earn money from the games, but rather from the license agreement it has with THQ and other publishers that make use of their settings.

That's my point though. People enjoy digital distributions for (other than ease of access for those with tablet computing devices) cheaper prices and saving the trees and all that. I wonder how 'up to date' they're going to keep it. They've been a bit better about updated FAQs, but not by much.

Ehhhh. Doesn't mean they can't license a free to play game and make dosh off micro-transactions, does it? wink  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:22 pm
STFU and Color
Lt. Brookman

That's my point though. People enjoy digital distributions for (other than ease of access for those with tablet computing devices) cheaper prices and saving the trees and all that. I wonder how 'up to date' they're going to keep it. They've been a bit better about updated FAQs, but not by much.

Ehhhh. Doesn't mean they can't license a free to play game and make dosh off micro-transactions, does it? wink
The digital army books will be kept up to date until the next edition is released.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:33 pm
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lt. Brookman

The digital army books will be kept up to date until the next edition is released.

Well I understand that, but what I mean is if they release no or only one FAQ update is it really worth additional money we're giving them for that selling point? How often will it actually be updated?  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 1:37 pm
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lt. Brookman

Well I understand that, but what I mean is if they release no or only one FAQ update is it really worth additional money we're giving them for that selling point? How often will it actually be updated?
As long as changes and FAQ's are made for it you will get those free of charge. Also, if new units are added to this codex via White Dwarf supplements, those will also be added, again, free of charge.

This being Games Workshop though, updates and FAQ's might take some time to get done. I do however expect a big FAQ when 6th edition hits the shelves.  
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 2:24 pm
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lt. Brookman

As long as changes and FAQ's are made for it you will get those free of charge. Also, if new units are added to this codex via White Dwarf supplements, those will also be added, again, free of charge.

This being Games Workshop though, updates and FAQ's might take some time to get done. I do however expect a big FAQ when 6th edition hits the shelves.

I'm not sold on them actually adding new White Dwarf units to the digital codex. Granted it's what they SHOULD do I have this feeling they won't. Or if they do, it probably will be a month or two after the magazine is released.  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:56 pm
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lt. Brookman

I'm not sold on them actually adding new White Dwarf units to the digital codex. Granted it's what they SHOULD do I have this feeling they won't. Or if they do, it probably will be a month or two after the magazine is released.
This is still a new medium that GW is exploring, so I'd ask for a little patience and understanding.

But the month or so waiting period does make sense, GW wants to sell its company rag as well and only after a new issue is on the shelves would they put the cheap(?) articles on the iStore.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 3:18 am
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn
STFU and Color
Lady Blodwynn

This is still a new medium that GW is exploring, so I'd ask for a little patience and understanding.

But the month or so waiting period does make sense, GW wants to sell its company rag as well and only after a new issue is on the shelves would they put the cheap(?) articles on the iStore.

They also have to worry about making sure there's no way the article could be accessed early from the digital media, so I think they'd try to keep it far away from that until that ship it off in the mag. I'm not trying to be impatient with them on this point really, I just think such updates would be delayed for business purposes, or possibly implemented in larger patches of multiple updates.

I also recall their old way of having rules in White Dwarf, where if you wanted to use such you had to go find that magazine. ^^;  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:27 am
Mantic's Dreadnought:

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.  
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 1:48 pm
Lt. Brookman
Mantic's Dreadnought:

It just looks like a terminator with a reaver autocannon who really has to take a s**t.  

BloodyMary76

Witty Conversationalist

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100
PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2012 1:43 am
I like it! blaugh  
Guild Archives

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 53 54 55 56 57 58 ... 68 69 70 71 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games