Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Pouncey

PostPosted: Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:21 pm
Well, I finally got some of my Battle Sisters finished today. Not many, just five.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/andreyis/WH40k/MauveSisters.jpg

The colors look a little flat with the white undercoat. But they still don't look bad at all, and they look a lot brighter. : 3

Here's an unfinished Sister Superior with a black undercoat:

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/andreyis/WH40k/Mauve-Sister.jpg

I think what I'll do is work on getting my 250pt army painted first, then slowly expand by painting a transport, or another squad, or something.

The 250pt army is so I can have something to play against my mom, who is not into the hobby but doesn't mind trying new games every so often.

The pink armor is a 1:2 mix of Liche Purple and Skull White, respectively.

Edit: Sorry for the bad quality of the first photo. To explain, it was taken at night by an amateur photographer... I'll go try to take a better photo. : 3

Edit 2: Um... Wow... Seeing my minis on a large photo on a 20" monitor... Really, the only thing I can say is, sometimes it's better for it to be blurred.

So here it is, the large picture.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a221/andreyis/WH40k/DSC00793crop.jpg  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 1:00 am
I think they're quite lovely biggrin
I like the color scheme as well, it's colorful and bright, but not in a way that screams out xd
The only thing that bugs me is the faces, but that's my own personal opinion, as I like to paint the hell out of them, but it's not like you're not going to be seeing them up close when you're playing anyway.

@Inenor
burning_eyes Good god man, it looks like GW's picture, that's amazing.  

Shiro Zeppeli

Pouncey

PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 9:50 am
SPICE EMPEROR -Shino-
I like the color scheme as well, it's colorful and bright, but not in a way that screams out xd
The only thing that bugs me is the faces, but that's my own personal opinion, as I like to paint the hell out of them, but it's not like you're not going to be seeing them up close when you're playing anyway.

@Inenor

Yeah, the faces don't look right in the photo. I'll have to take a closer look at the minis and see what's up.  
PostPosted: Sat Oct 24, 2009 10:16 am
SPICE EMPEROR -Shino-

@Inenor

Yeah, the faces don't look right in the photo. I'll have to take a closer look at the minis and see what's up.

Yeah, it needed another layer.  

Pouncey

Inenor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 1:10 pm
thanks shino, just used that entire force saturday for a giant battle.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:25 pm
Hey guys, im just starting with Warhammer 40k and i only painted one for now. Allthough i didnt use undercoating, i think it looks not bad for a first try.
Any tips on building and painting my WH?

User Image  

Silver803

Shiro Zeppeli

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:28 pm
Silver803
Hey guys, im just starting with Warhammer 40k and i only painted one for now. Allthough i didnt use undercoating, i think it looks not bad for a first try.

That's pretty excellent for your first mini xd
Out of curiosity, what paint did you use? That red looks pretty damn smooth.
I'd give you tips, but I can't really think of any I can put into words, considering I'm only into Warhammer 40k to paint, and I paint everything on the sprue sweatdrop

@Inenor
How did it go? surprised  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:38 pm
SPICE EMPEROR -Shino-
Silver803

I'd give you tips, but I can't really think of any I can put into words, considering I'm only into Warhammer 40k to paint, and I paint everything on the sprue sweatdrop

@Inenor
How did it go? surprised
I got a box of Citadel Paint Set, the red is Blood Red paint x) thanks! To get the red like that i put about 3 layers of it in main areas. Im sure it wouldve looked much better with undercoating.  

Silver803

Pouncey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:27 pm
Silver803

The Space Marine looks great. : 3

Um... Tips? You seem to have decent experience with building and painting models, so I don't have much advice.

All I can think of is to recommend that you remember when you need to, that it is a hobby. It should be enjoyable, and if it's not... then something's not right. I don't mean not right with you, but something's not right with the hobby, whether it's not right for you at the time, or there's something specific you don't like about it, or whatnot.

So basically, if you don't feel like building/painting/playing, then don't. If you do and you can, then do. : 3 I spent pretty much all of last year and this year not doing much at all with my miniatures, because I just did not feel like doing any painting or building or gaming. So my 60+ unpainted Battle Sisters were left longing for a paint job.

And... Yeah, the undercoat helps tremendously. It does give the model a significant rough texture, but apparently that helps the paint stick. All my previous times spraypainting, the surface was smooth, so I dunno what the heck I was doing wrong before.

I'm gonna shut up and post now, because otherwise this'll be a post that'll be so long that no one will read it. : 3  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:27 pm
Silver803
SPICE EMPEROR -Shino-
Silver803

@Inenor
How did it go? surprised
I got a box of Citadel Paint Set, the red is Blood Red paint x) thanks! To get the red like that i put about 3 layers of it in main areas. Im sure it wouldve looked much better with undercoating.

Not really xd the reason I was asking is that red always takes a bunch of layers to come out correctly, it looks pretty good in your picture, which is why I asked if it was GW paint or not.  

Shiro Zeppeli

Pouncey

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:30 pm
Silver803
SPICE EMPEROR -Shino-
Silver803

@Inenor
How did it go? surprised

Yup, having to put three layers of light colours over the bare plastic - or black undercoat - is normal. : 3 I recently tried a white undercoat for my Sisters, and the custom mauve colour I have only takes one layer over it. : 3 I would imagine the red would be the same; in fact I know it is, because I was painting something Red Gore over a black undercoat, and it needed three or more layers.

Ahh, I remember! I painted the Fleur de Lis on the sides of my Immolator black over the white so it would look better.  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:32 pm
Pouncey
Silver803

Um... Tips? You seem to have decent experience with building and painting models, so I don't have much advice.

All I can think of is to recommend that you remember when you need to, that it is a hobby. It should be enjoyable, and if it's not... then something's not right. I don't mean not right with you, but something's not right with the hobby, whether it's not right for you at the time, or there's something specific you don't like about it, or whatnot.

So basically, if you don't feel like building/painting/playing, then don't. If you do and you can, then do. : 3 I spent pretty much all of last year and this year not doing much at all with my miniatures, because I just did not feel like doing any painting or building or gaming. So my 60+ unpainted Battle Sisters were left longing for a paint job.

And... Yeah, the undercoat helps tremendously. It does give the model a significant rough texture, but apparently that helps the paint stick. All my previous times spraypainting, the surface was smooth, so I dunno what the heck I was doing wrong before.

I'm gonna shut up and post now, because otherwise this'll be a post that'll be so long that no one will read it. : 3
xD thank you.
Well honestly ive never even built or painted miniatures before that one. I always hesitated to start cause i wasnt sure if i would manage to paint them right.
Thanks for the tip : D
Could you explain to me what ink wash is? If clear coating is worth it? and if it matters what weapons you put on your squad?
Thing is i have my other marines to make and im not sure if i should make 1 or 2 flamethrowers or whatnot...  

Silver803

Inenor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 4:46 pm
it was my lizzies, brets, ogres, and daemons ( we said kroak had brainwashed them, teehee) against Warrios of Chaos, Skaven, Dark Elves, and VC. I had the biggest army and the WoC guy had the second. We won ... mainly due to kroak getting of an 18 and 2 24 inch spells and the brets running archaeon down with questing knights and a damsel biggrin  
PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:40 pm
Silver803
Pouncey
Silver803

xD thank you.
Well honestly ive never even built or painted miniatures before that one. I always hesitated to start cause i wasnt sure if i would manage to paint them right.
Thanks for the tip : D
Could you explain to me what ink wash is? If clear coating is worth it? and if it matters what weapons you put on your squad?
Thing is i have my other marines to make and im not sure if i should make 1 or 2 flamethrowers or whatnot...

For your first miniature ever, that is exceptional work.

An ink wash is when you take an ink - like devlan mud or... actually, that's the only current ink I know - load it up liberally on your brush, and paint over the whole model. The ink seeps into the crevices because it's pretty much entirely water. This creates instant shading. Usually painters go over the higher parts - like cheekbones, raised insignia, armor plating, etc - to make the model look cleaner. You don't have to go over the whole model - I avoided the robes on my Battle Sisters since they're white and dark colours are a pain in the a** to paint white over. Well, not a pain in and of itself, but time-consuming enough that it's a pain.

Short version: An ink wask is when you use an ink liberally over the model to create shadows in the crevices of the model.

I find that going over my models with a clear coat is good. This may be due to the fact that I am fairly rough with my miniatures - most of them are loose in boxes due to a lack of shelf and proper carrying case space - so what happens to mine, especially with the metal models and parts, is the paint starts coming off the edges and raised surfaces. Sometimes this even happens as I'm painting the models. Odds are good I'm not washing the parts right, though I'm not sure how to do so.

Short version: On plastic models it's not as much of a problem, but without a clear coat, metal models will eventually lose their paint on the edges.

The weapons you put on your squad do matter in-game. I'm not sure what kinds of weapons come in the new Tactical Squad or Combat Squad or whatever boxes. I can't tell you what weapons you should put on your miniatures, because I just don't know what's going to work, and I don't know what's going to work for you. Someone in the 40k Discussion subforum in this guild, specifically the Space Marine thread, would be able to help with that. : 3

I think in a single ten-man squad you can only have one special weapon, but my knowledge is years out of date and I don't have the latest Space Marine Codex.

Hope this helps!

Oh, and directed at the thread in general and not wanting to double-post, here's a Seraphim I painted tonight.

Edit: Slightly better photo. Sadly, taken at night.

User Image  

Pouncey

Inenor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:54 pm
still looks good to me. i like to contrasting yellow/purple/white pallet.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 52 53 54 55 56 57 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games