Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
This is a stupid question but I'm going to ask anyway thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:54 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Well, the Truth can really suck sometimes. Contrary to popular romaticism, it doesn't always set you free, or give you wings, or whatever the ********.

Sometimes it's the path of least resistance to just live with a lie.
I know it's easy, I just don't understand why easy is taken over correct most of the time.

Some people aren't ready to learn certain things.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 8:59 pm
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl
Well, the Truth can really suck sometimes. Contrary to popular romaticism, it doesn't always set you free, or give you wings, or whatever the ********.

I know it's easy, I just don't understand why easy is taken over correct most of the time.

Some people aren't ready period.  

Gho the Girl

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:00 pm
Bastemhet

Well...I guess they could choose not to, but I've never heard of an instance historically in which they would/did not. The purpose of the ritual is to make the statue and the space in which it resides sacred and ritually pure. The space itself is also made perfect as a symbol of, and thus manifestation of Zep Tepi. Why a deity would decline from inhabiting such a perfect place to restore Maat and be worshipped round the clock would be beyond me, but it is possible. Just highly unlikely.
Are they being worshiped around the clock?
Is the place and the statue to their liking?

Don't know myself. I don't pretend that Kemetic theology is my strong suit.

Quote:
As for forcing them into it, or forcing them to do anything else...that's also possible, though whoever is doing it better be as powerful or more powerful than the deity they are trying to force into cooperation. Historically this is not the way they are approached when it comes to temples and statues.
Fair enough.
I supposed obligated would have been a better term.

Quote:
Not what I meant, but I can see how you interpreted it that way. What I mean is I choose to disagree if someone is incorrect, but I do care that the relationship be maintained as amicable regardless. I'm not saying you don't care, but when you say "So be it" it sounds like the person in the wrong is unimportant as opposed to truth. I think both are important.
I can see why you misinterpreted my position. wink

My looking at folks funny is more of a personal querk than anything else.

Quote:
But what would be majority as opposed to minority? 49.99% of the history is minority? I don't have any training in linguistics but I have to take a course in it for my major; maybe my question will be answered there.

As to why, it's because while smaller groups deserve their integrity, so do larger groups.

I'm going to have Poe as an example.
With her personal experiences comes trauma linked to the word gender.
I have friends who are in the middle of their transition and they need that word to help heal.

Should Poe, and her painful, but very personal experience take tools away from others when the tool itself is not the source of harm or even generates harm in and of itself?

I think perhaps there comes a point when the tool does more harm than good, and that is where I am likely to discard it.
Again, this is a hipshot guess. It's the first time I've examined the process, rather than the existing positions.  
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:07 pm
Gho the Girl
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl

At which point I whole-heartedly hope they can transcend their barriers and learn more.  

Bastemhet

Bastemhet

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 9:31 pm
TeaDidikai
Bastemhet

Well...I guess they could choose not to, but I've never heard of an instance historically in which they would/did not. The purpose of the ritual is to make the statue and the space in which it resides sacred and ritually pure. The space itself is also made perfect as a symbol of, and thus manifestation of Zep Tepi. Why a deity would decline from inhabiting such a perfect place to restore Maat and be worshipped round the clock would be beyond me, but it is possible. Just highly unlikely.
Are they being worshiped around the clock?
Is the place and the statue to their liking?

Don't know myself. I don't pretend that Kemetic theology is my strong suit.

OK, I know I said round the clock, but I didn't mean that literally. xd From what I know, in the Old Kingdom, priests would take on working in the temple for two months out of the year, then be switched out with others, except for the Chief Lector priest (hm-ntr) who would have had the job full time. In the Middle to Late Kingdoms priest were specialized to that job only, making it full time. There's not a lot of info on such during Roman times. Ritual includes breaking the seal and also opening the naos doors in the morning where the statue resided, bathing, dressing the statue with clean linen, jewelry, and insignia, putting makeup on the statue, food and incense offerings throughout the day, and finally closing the doors to the naos only to repeat the next day. They would've had to consecrate and bless each offering item and offer it individually with an intonation of the offering formula which can be lengthy. I know that they would've had to take a ritual bath to cleanse themselves in order to be sufficiently pure four times a day, so I'm thinking the deities were offered to and the area cleansed with natron and water this many times as well. I have a couple of good books on this so I can get back to you about detail later, if you wish.

Typically temples would be made to the god of that nome, and the god would reside there to receive the attention they deserved. I would assume that it's to their liking. If they weren't in favor, bad things would befall the people of the nome, so they made sure to appease their gods accordingly. They also offered to ensure continued benevolence. The deity benefited from the offerings because the offerings gave deities Maat, which they needed to have replenished, because the gods could die. (e.g. Ausir) Yet the offerings were from the gods as well, so as symbols and thus manifestations of life and order (they were offered the ankh and ib heart which stood for these), they were consubstantial with the god. In light of all this, it can only benefit them to reside in the temple and statue, and this was generally the case.

Quote:
Quote:
As for forcing them into it, or forcing them to do anything else...that's also possible, though whoever is doing it better be as powerful or more powerful than the deity they are trying to force into cooperation. Historically this is not the way they are approached when it comes to temples and statues.
Fair enough.
I supposed obligated would have been a better term.

They offered to the deity to procure benevolence, but the deity was in no way obligated to do anything. This was often the fear, thus the continued offerings.

Quote:
Quote:
But what would be majority as opposed to minority? 49.99% of the history is minority? I don't have any training in linguistics but I have to take a course in it for my major; maybe my question will be answered there.

As to why, it's because while smaller groups deserve their integrity, so do larger groups.

I'm going to have Poe as an example.
With her personal experiences comes trauma linked to the word gender.
I have friends who are in the middle of their transition and they need that word to help heal.

Should Poe, and her painful, but very personal experience take tools away from others when the tool itself is not the source of harm or even generates harm in and of itself?

I think perhaps there comes a point when the tool does more harm than good, and that is where I am likely to discard it.
Again, this is a hipshot guess. It's the first time I've examined the process, rather than the existing positions.

Hmm...this might've been what I was going for but couldn't articulate. I suppose if someone had a problem with my using the word stupid, I wouldn't use it then.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 12:27 am
Bastemhet
They offered to the deity to procure benevolence, but the deity was in no way obligated to do anything. This was often the fear, thus the continued offerings.
Okay.

It's actually interesting when you compare it with say, the consecration of the Host within Catholicism.

Quote:
Hmm...this might've been what I was going for but couldn't articulate. I suppose if someone had a problem with my using the word stupid, I wouldn't use it then.
Of course people can choose to help those around them and avoid terms that trigger.

But there is a difference between a personal choice and a defining characteristic of a word.  

TeaDidikai

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 8:42 am
Gho the Girl
Bastemhet
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl

There are other cases too, where one deludes oneself because the pain is so severe that they may not survive the truth at that time. Not necessarily to feel right or special, but because knowing the truth would do a level of harm that they aren't capable of healing from at the time.

I was in denial about being trans for more than a decade and a half. My entire life up until the last few years involved hiding from the truth because back then the truth would have more likely led to suicide then transition. My mind protected itself with a lie until such time as it could handle the truth.

And I'm here because of that.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:40 pm
TeaDidikai
Gho the Girl

I lie to my Mother every time I vist. I allow her to continue thinking that I'm Christian because I know it would hurt her to know the truth. It would also result in her not allowing me access to my Father or siblings.  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:45 pm
Shearaha

I lie to my Mother every time I vist. I allow her to continue thinking that I'm Christian because I know it would hurt her to know the truth. It would also result in her not allowing me access to my Father or siblings.
Why lie when you can simply not divulge?  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 1:57 pm
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

I consider the fact that I'm not divulging the information as a type of lie. A lie of omission.
Though my religious choices are not the only thing we have a don't ask don't tell policy going on stare  

Shearaha

Aged Hunter

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:02 pm
Shearaha
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

I consider the fact that I'm not divulging the information as a type of lie. A lie of omission.
Though my religious choices are not the only thing we have a don't ask don't tell policy going on stare
I remember when I was nineteen or so I asked my mom if I could bring my girlfriend down to my aunt's for the holidays.

Oops.  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:08 pm
TeaDidikai
Shearaha

Somehow, they end up knowing anyways smile  

maenad nuri
Captain

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 2:15 pm
maenad nuri

Somehow, they end up knowing anyways smile
whee  
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:35 pm
As a note, Bastemhet, I don't find the word gender triggering. I just don't use the word "gender identity" to describe my bodily dissonance related to my (mostly former now) secondary sexual characteristics.

So consider Tea's example a hypothetical. No need to modulate your usage of "gender" around me. wink  

Recursive Paradox

TeaDidikai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 7:42 pm
Recursive Paradox
As a note, Bastemhet, I don't find the word gender triggering. I just don't use the word "gender identity" to describe my bodily dissonance related to my (mostly former now) secondary sexual characteristics.

So consider Tea's example a hypothetical. No need to modulate your usage of "gender" around me. wink
Sorry I misunderstood your position.  
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 50 51 52 53 54 55 ... 74 75 76 77 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games