Welcome to Gaia! ::

GCD GANGSTAS

Back to Guilds

Its just that hip, yo 

Tags: Geeceedee, GCDer, Items, Plot, Awesome 

Reply Come Back Mero <33
Hurdur, its a chat thread Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 ... 1196 1197 1198 1199 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

warrior_of_boognish

Destructive Lunatic

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:44 am
meekstape

this female character is tough as nails and will punch anyone in the mouth who looks at her wrong....except at 5:30 when she rushes home to make her man a sandwich and get him a beer. also every third week of the month she bleeds watch out!!!!

That sounds like something one of the major comic labels would pen down...  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 8:49 am
The only differences between male and female are those we have been taught to perceive by society. The man's brainwashed you, man  

kimono girl snotty

Kawaii Noob

11,850 Points
  • Magical Girl 50
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Mark Twain 100

MrsrachaelSnape

Invisible Cat

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:06 am
AliceLoathesWonderland
MrsrachaelSnape
AliceLoathesWonderland
MrsrachaelSnape
AliceLoathesWonderland
I have KING tonsillitis, man.
just breathing through my mouth is painful.

cant get get an appt with the doctor for a week!!

-flails-

so sorry. try to rest.
how are youuu? <3

Not so good. I have a huge headache and my eye is killing me.
aw what's wrong?
-hug-

emotion_hug really bad sinus sad  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:08 am
It might sound mean, but if you have to ask how to write a woman, you're probably not ready to write people in general.

User Image - Blocked by "Display Image" Settings. Click to show.

There's more, but I can't post all the things...or can I?

Uncle Haijin

Rainbow Trafficker

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:40 am
meekstape
ROMVLVS
The Undead Suitor
ROMVLVS
The Undead Suitor
ROMVLVS

If two men could be such polar opposites, then how could not a man and a woman be different?

Because like meeks said, the difference between a solider and a student is a difference in personality and archetype. Have you ever seen a female solider? They act just like the guys, living in a world where the exactness of orders and actions saved lives. Same with female students.

The only reason women would ever be written extremely different than men would be in a period piece, but since you said you were going to write it about your skyrim character that point becomes moot.

Since...believe it or not there's absolutely no gender discrimination in Skyrim.

At all.

No, you misunderstand. It wasn't going to be about skyrim, I was just going to use the character. Because I like the character, but would make my own world.

And I've met quite a few female soldiers, and they're not the same as men. For one, a lot of male marines tend to be showy, where as female marines tend to just be extremely confident. Male marines are more relaxed than female marines, who tend to be rigid. Female marines don't really 'shoot the breeze' or worry about 'scuttlebutt' because they would be mocked about certain things. A very real difficulty in the military for women is being taken seriously by their often sexist peers as for the past 5,000 years of our history, military has been a men's only career.

And here you said you didn't know anything about writing women

Knowing about something and writing about it is completely different.

actually, no, it's the same thing. there is no difference between men and women besides the physical make up. a woman can have any type of personality just as a guy can have any type of personality. or maybe you cant get the sexist image of a woman out of your head long enough to do so?

this female character is tough as nails and will punch anyone in the mouth who looks at her wrong....except at 5:30 when she rushes home to make her man a sandwich and get him a beer. also every third week of the month she bleeds watch out!!!!

^^^ no one does this ^^^ so just write a female as you would write a male, and just change the pronouns accordingly.

Just because I think there is a difference in men and women does not mean that I'm sexist. Men are more likely to do certain things than women. Men are more likely to think certain ways. Two people who take the same actions are completely capable of thinking about them differently and do.

If men and women were the same, in every way, which seems to be your argument, then there would be no differences between men and women at all aside from the physical.

A shy self conscious man can and does think differently than a shy self conscious girl, even if it means they take the same actions and act similiar.

There are real differences in the thinking between men and women, which basically drives the entire comedy market.

If I were a girl who said I can't think like a man, this conversation would be completely different. Instead I'm a man who says he can't think like a woman, and so now I'm sexist.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 9:51 am
ROMVLVS
Just because I think there is a difference in men and women does not mean that I'm sexist. Men are more likely to do certain things than women. Men are more likely to think certain ways. Two people who take the same actions are completely capable of thinking about them differently and do.

If men and women were the same, in every way, which seems to be your argument, then there would be no differences between men and women at all aside from the physical.

A shy self conscious man can and does think differently than a shy self conscious girl, even if it means they take the same actions and act similiar.

There are real differences in the thinking between men and women, which basically drives the entire comedy market.

If I were a girl who said I can't think like a man, this conversation would be completely different. Instead I'm a man who says he can't think like a woman, and so now I'm sexist.

no actually the reason why this conversation is happeneing is because you are making a big issue and overthinking s**t out of absolutely nothing pretty much!

so let me get something straight though: you dont think, in the whole wide world, there is a woman who has the same mind set and thought process as a man? there are people who are genderqueer who are male/female by sex but dont identify with any gender. how is their thought process, according to you? is everything that binary in your world? because see here's the thing: in the real world, and any worlds you create to make them more diverse and believable, shouldnt be that binary.

but hey man you pretty much stated my point exactly: "If men and women were the same, in every way, which seems to be your argument, then there would be no differences between men and women at all aside from the physical."

now keep in mind i mean that in the most general sense. i think a pretty well writted character is one that you can swap out gender identification and have the character still be the same person.  

drumnbass420

Girl-Crazy Ladykiller

The Undead Suitor

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
  • Destroyer of Cuteness 150
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:08 am
Uncle Haijin
It might sound mean, but if you have to ask how to write a woman, you're probably not ready to write people in general.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:12 am
The Undead Suitor
Uncle Haijin

Uncle Haijin

Rainbow Trafficker

The Undead Suitor

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:13 am
Uncle Haijin
The Undead Suitor
Uncle Haijin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:22 am
How you write females really depends on the age group your writing for.

If you intend for adults to read it, talking about female cramping, periods, etc. is completely fine. Anything for YA might have it. If your female is a warrior-type and you want to get around writing about cramps every month in the story, a few fantasy novels I have read had the female character take some herbs or have someone cast a spell on them that completely eliminates their period--and their ability to have children as a result.

I think it's Tamora Pierce who deals with the subject rather well in her fantasy novels.  

Eudaemon

Unbeatable Visionary

10,550 Points
  • Battle Hardened 150
  • Megathread 100
  • Millionaire 200

The Undead Suitor

Questionable Bunny

11,750 Points
  • Heckler 50
  • Ultimate Player 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:30 am
Why even bother to mention it? I dont remember hermione stopping off to change pads between adventures

writing about your female characters menstrual cycle is entirely pointless, it's neither character development, nor plot development (unless the character is trying to get pregnant, then I suppose the lack of one would advance the plot)

why waste the effort reiterating the fact that your character is female, a fact we can clearly already see.

the only reason I could see wasting time on it would be if you were writing shitty romance novels for preteen girls who were just getting theirs, as a short hand to get your readers to identify with the boring protagonist.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:35 am
meekstape
: you dont think, in the whole wide world, there is a woman who has the same mind set and thought process as a man? there are people who are genderqueer who are male/female by sex but dont identify with any gender. how is their thought process, according to you? is everything that binary in your world? because see here's the thing: in the real world, and any worlds you create to make them more diverse and believable, shouldnt be that binary.
-----
now keep in mind i mean that in the most general sense. i think a pretty well writted character is one that you can swap out gender identification and have the character still be the same person.

>_> what you described is exactly my problem irl.
Though I just tell people I'm a chick because I get tired of explaining time after time genderqueer and not transgender. And I only let some people know because my current environment can barely handle me knowing that I'm bisexual. It's too tiring at the moment to rock the boat except when asking questions in class and talking about using dental dams in safe sex practices.

I agree that a well developed character can be at ease being male or female. Though I did have fun playing up my character, Slick, when he went through a genderbending episode when doing comics in the Avatar Battle Royale. It was fun poking at him being insecure and hypocritical when he changed into fem Slick.

What I really dislike are the genderbending females in manga that act all so tough and manly. Then their secret is out that they are a girl and it's practically a personality change. WTF.

Slick Southpaw

Feral Faun

aliceloatheswonderland

Stone-cold Cat

20,840 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Risky Lifestyle 100
  • Citizen 200
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:50 am
uh ohs.
gender warz.  
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am
meekstape
ROMVLVS

no actually the reason why this conversation is happeneing is because you are making a big issue and overthinking s**t out of absolutely nothing pretty much!

so let me get something straight though: you dont think, in the whole wide world, there is a woman who has the same mind set and thought process as a man? there are people who are genderqueer who are male/female by sex but dont identify with any gender. how is their thought process, according to you? is everything that binary in your world? because see here's the thing: in the real world, and any worlds you create to make them more diverse and believable, shouldnt be that binary.

but hey man you pretty much stated my point exactly: "If men and women were the same, in every way, which seems to be your argument, then there would be no differences between men and women at all aside from the physical."

I don't think there are women who pee outside for the sole purpose of marking their territory. A lot of guys, and by that I mean every guy that the subject has come up around, that I know do this.

There are stupid little things that men do and women don't. There are stupid little things that women do and men don't.

If you write a story where someone has a gun, and you say 'they took the Glock off of safety' you have just destroyed every shred of realism in your story, because a Glock does not have a safety. Your reader who knows this has just been removed from the story completely, and you've destroyed the world that you built.

Stupid little details can throw off a story for the reader, and that's why I don't think I can write a story about a woman, because that tiny little detail that will remove the reader from the story.

And honestly, being a transgender is completely different than being a man or a woman. As a man, if I can't understand what it's lot be a woman, how do you expect me to assume I know anything about being transgender?  

ROMVLVS
Crew

Elocutionist

9,200 Points
  • Beta Gaian 0
  • Mark Twain 100
  • Gaian 50

Infamous

Moonlight Citizen

44,600 Points
  • Wing Mastery 100
  • Winged 100
  • Alchemy Level 10 100
PostPosted: Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:54 am
AliceLoathesWonderland
uh ohs.
gender warz.

It happens :'D

And I should be back later tonight. I have class and then just enough time to get to my job. ;.;

And today is a shipment day. D: I hope it isn't anything like last weeks. We got so many kids shoes in. gonk  
Come Back Mero <33

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 515 516 517 518 519 520 ... 1196 1197 1198 1199 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games