Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply General Discussion (Chatterbox)
The Black Library Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 1:51 pm

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 1:36 pm

Its becoming more and more apparent to me the the more Horus Heresy novels I read the less I become interested in reading them. I started of course with the first three which focused mainly on the Luna Wolves I found these to be great reads and I have read each of them at least three times. Then I picked up Fulgrim due to some rare chance when I was in Iraq the Px acctually carried. I found it to be a decent read with much insight into their final moments as a faithful legion. But so far I have only been interested in reading it once. I currently have flight of the Eisenstein and Descent of Angels. Flight of the Eisenstein seems to be moving at a quick pace. But from the point it starts I orginally thought I was going to have to choke down the reason the Death Guard turned traitor before I got to the part I was really interested in. I read the begin to Descent of Angels and have been turned off the the notion of reading it anytime soon. So is it just me or are they sacrificing the quality of the read of these books to meet their release goals or im I just bored with the series

Mat

Dangerous Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:58 pm

I can relate to your feeling Mat. Most of the novels wont be read again any time soon, though I have read through them all at least once and I am trying to break into Legion this weekend.

To me the main problem is the use of different authors and their styles. Dan blew me away with the first novel and it didn't really happen again until I read Flight of the Eisenstein and Descent of Angels, which both take on different angles thankfully. Descent of Angels in particular gives a good insight into the whole treason and secrecy of the Dark Angels history. Fulgrim was okay, but felt rushed and fracking weak in the how and why department.

Personally I am looking forward to Mechanicum coming out at the end of the year, which will focus less on marines and more on the civil war on Mars as was hinted at in the Horus Heresy - Collected Visions book.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:54 am

I read the books in order of appearance myself, I absolutely loved the first 3 "luna wolves" books simply because you could clearly see how the loyalists "grew apart" from Abadon and his lot. Flight I enjoyed but more because it rode the buzz I got from the other books. Fulgrim was really good in my oppinion, but I cant deny that the later part of the book seemed somewhat rushed.

Descent of the angels was kind of a buzz kill to me. The books all ended in somewhat of a cliffhanger and then didnt pick up immediately on that cliff in the next volume, which was fine since it just got you more hyped. Descent however, took too long to "get back on track" so to say, whereas the previous books could have been 1 large story read in succession, descent isnt a part of that.

Overall though, I must say that the series has been more than I expected of it. Looking forward to reading Legion.

Seraphine-Exalted

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:30 pm

Legion does give a good insight on a hidden alien tinfoil hat organization operating around the galaxy. And that Space Marines in part derive from genhanced Imperial Army soldiers born from little girls who fought for the Emperor back on Terra. It also seems to hint at the Alpha Legion being more into spying and spec ops operations in form of actual infiltration of their own troops into enemy formations through disguise and genetic enhancement.

I'd also like to say that Ancient Blood, about the Strigany and Strigoi is a good read. It has less of a focus on the monstrous Strigoi and more on the Strigani, though the vampires are still present. All in all a good read.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 12:17 pm

Ive only read the first 4 (3 Luna Wolves books and Flight). I enjoyed all of them, and that included Flight of the Eisenstein, I thought they were all equally good, however based on what Ive heard from others, I dont know if Im interested in purchasing the other books.

King Kento

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 2:00 pm

Perhaps the saddest thing about the Horus Heresy books is that they try to make it look as if things are going to change things drastically, that it looks as if they are changing the history behind the heresy.

Legion actually presents a good scenario, seeing as every marine in the Alpha Legion is required to look identical to their Primarch and act like him in front of non-Astartes people, it does raise the question whether or not Guilleman really did kill Alpharius or not.

Other than that, the whole "secrets that will blow your mind" thing is really not that p***s shriveling. The whole alien tinfoil hat group known as the "Cabal" wishes to stop Horus and chaos from plunging mankind into the great civil war. But alas, they fail obviously.

edit.

It would seem that the greatest secret of the Alpha Legion is a pretty good one. Highlight down below to see what the secret is, less of a spoiler that way.

Alpharius and stealth team captain Omegon are identical twins, thus the Alpha Legion is led by two Primarch instead of one, this in turn makes the final confrontation between Guilleman and Alpharius / Omegon even more confusing.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 1:53 am

So the few loyal Death Guard become the first Grey Knights and the Alpha Legion is so hyped up on secrets that nothing can be taken serious anymore? And the Watchers in the Dark are really members of the Cabal trying to see whether or not the Dark Angels are useful enough for changing the course of history?

But what about the prediction that is made by the Cabal? The one that says that if Horus wins the Heresy he will kill and wipe out humanity in two hundred years because of guilt, or where the Emperor wins (current situation) and that the Imperium slowly dies in twenty thousand years because of chaos and aliens.

Samantha Bentley

King Kento

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 10:09 am

Lt. Brookman

Alpharius and stealth team captain Omegon are identical twins, thus the Alpha Legion is led by two Primarch instead of one, this in turn makes the final confrontation between Guilleman and Alpharius / Omegon even more confusing.

Now that wouldve made the book a worthy read for me. I may have to look into that one. Still though, stuff like the Death gaurd survivors and so on, is nothing new.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:39 pm

If anything, the novels kill a lot of pathetic speculation on the side of the people who shouted that the Emperor did not hate aliens and that Horus really did survive the Heresy and is now enthroned upon Terra.

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Samantha Bentley

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:13 am

Maybe, but it would be a whole lot better if the books were to address the real holes in the whole heresy arc, such as where the Dark Angels were and why the Alpha Legion joined in with Horus. Or maybe why the largest legion at that time, the ultras where so absent when fighting a much smaller legion of Word Bearers. Or the actual fate of Vulkan?
PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:18 pm

I wouldnt mind reading somthing along the lines of the space wolves assualt on Prospero.

Mat

Dangerous Soldier

8,500 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Treasure Hunter 100
  • Peoplewatcher 100

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:13 am

Mat
I wouldnt mind reading somthing along the lines of the space wolves assualt on Prospero.
Who knows, we might just be seeing that next year. This year we get the battle in the Ultramar system between the word bearers and ultras on Calth and the civil war on Mars.
PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 12:11 am

People couldn't find this thread so: *revive!*

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Syumerrt

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2008 6:25 am

On the Cabal's prophecy I thought it was that if Horus won, eventually humanity would sacrafice itself, destroying Chaos, or something like that, and if the Imperium won the war, then it would stagnate over time, and chaos would eventually win, so then Victory is Defeat?
Waiting for the HH book on the word bearers and Ultramarines, of course now I'm interested in getting Mechanicum.
General Discussion (Chatterbox)

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 49 50 51 52 53 54 ... 107 108 109 110 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games