Welcome to Gaia! ::

Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Back to Guilds

Educational, Respectful and Responsible Paganism. Don't worry, we'll teach you how. 

Tags: Pagan, Wicca, Paganism, Witchcraft, Witch 

Reply Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center
In a bad mood? come here and rant till you feel better Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

will you sticky this? (for Nuri only)
  Yes
  NO
  who are you?
View Results

Calixti

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 3:51 pm

*headdesk*

My family. My highly conservative, racist, classist, ableist family. Deliberately goading me into a political discussion then shouting over me when I start talking about racism and classism and systematic oppression because "ZOMG WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE MINORITY AND WE'RE OPPRESSED!" and acknowledging white privilege means I'm "buying into white guilt." WHAT THE ******** DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?! I seriously don't get it.

I even tried explaining privilege to my sister in a way I KNEW she was capable of understanding; see, I'm pretty clever. Not bragging, I just am, guess I was born that way, or learning to read as early as I did stimulated some super-learning thing in my brain or something. I breezed through high school, graduated middle of my class, but got major grants and scholarships based on my high test scores--and I have never in my life studied for a test prior to college. Meanwhile, my sister's been working her arse off all through school for a class standing slightly lower than mine, studied for the ACT for six months to get a score only a few points lower than mine, and will be lucky to get the sort of aid I've recieved, because she's simply not as clever.

She was able to acknowledge that as unearned privilege given to me based on things beyond our control (my cleverness versus hers), but she and my parents flatly REFUSE the idea that it's possible to have unearned advantages based on economic class, race, able-bodiedness, sexuality, or gender.

All the headdesking I've been doing since coming home for this break is going to break my desk eventually. sad
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 4:02 pm

Huh, today's letter in the mail (Today was a good mail day) did catch us a break. Thank you Jesse White, cause davit has his license back. The rescinding never happened.

maenad nuri
Captain

PrometheanSet

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 5:36 pm

The Indubitable Katie-Kat
*headdesk*

My family. My highly conservative, racist, classist, ableist family. Deliberately goading me into a political discussion then shouting over me when I start talking about racism and classism and systematic oppression because "ZOMG WHITE PEOPLE ARE THE MINORITY AND WE'RE OPPRESSED!" and acknowledging white privilege means I'm "buying into white guilt." WHAT THE ******** DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?! I seriously don't get it.

I even tried explaining privilege to my sister in a way I KNEW she was capable of understanding; see, I'm pretty clever. Not bragging, I just am, guess I was born that way, or learning to read as early as I did stimulated some super-learning thing in my brain or something. I breezed through high school, graduated middle of my class, but got major grants and scholarships based on my high test scores--and I have never in my life studied for a test prior to college. Meanwhile, my sister's been working her arse off all through school for a class standing slightly lower than mine, studied for the ACT for six months to get a score only a few points lower than mine, and will be lucky to get the sort of aid I've recieved, because she's simply not as clever.

She was able to acknowledge that as unearned privilege given to me based on things beyond our control (my cleverness versus hers), but she and my parents flatly REFUSE the idea that it's possible to have unearned advantages based on economic class, race, able-bodiedness, sexuality, or gender.

All the headdesking I've been doing since coming home for this break is going to break my desk eventually. sad

Well, as much as you want to show them what amounts to a whole new world, they have to want it for themselves.

If it is that toxic for you to be too close to them, could you step back a bit and love them from more of a distance? Perhaps you could be a bit more busy, unless there's something you really need to do with or for them.

Because I'm hearing some things that remind me of real KKK members that I've been "privileged" to converse with... meanwhile, it sounds like you've got a good head on your shoulders and heart to go with it.

Other than that, you could pray/ask your gods/(however you wish to phrase it) to help them grow in that area of their lives. Please understand that eventually, if you try that enough, something will change - even if its just you learning to accept their shortcomings.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:02 pm

Thanks for your concern Set. I actually don't live at home most of the time; I'm a college student, so I'm only home for breaks and summer (and with luck, starting next year I'll be taking summer classes as well). My mum used to actually have household rules saying I wasn't allowed to discuss politics with my father or disagree with him, but apparently when he forgot those rules existed, they ceased to exist. (He's got early-onset dementia, he forgets a lot of things.)

It's just frustrating when I AM home, because both my parents are right-wingers, my sister echoes them without being willing to think for herself, and I'm a progressive. Mum and Dad like to question how I got so "brainwashed"; my dad blames public schools, my mum blames the "liberal media," I credit the completely uncensored reading I've always had.

Luckily, spring break is over, and I go back to school tomorrow.

Calixti

Recursive Paradox

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:45 pm

acknowledging white privilege means I'm "buying into white guilt." WHAT THE ******** DOES THAT EVEN MEAN?! I seriously don't get it.

Well that's stupid simply because white privilege (like male privilege) is real and simply a measure of what things non whites (and in the other example, females and open non cismales) are denied in society but are still given to whites (or males).

But white guilt is also to a certain extent a real thing, it's just a lot more rare. It's basically this idea among certain white people that all of us right now have a responsibility to pay for our "ancestor's" actions (even if none of your ancestors actually had a part in slavery, it's stupid I know).

So these are the white folk who support paying reparations to black folk, something any reasonable liberal person would disagree with.

Acknowledging white privilege does not mean you are part of white guilt though. That's just silly and dumb.
PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 6:46 pm

Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox

Is this the girl that stole my name and follows you around like a stoned dog?
MY DEAR HOW DID YOU KNOW? surprised

I HATE HER. Seriously she is utterly obnoxious. Our mutual metal-smithing friend even refers to her as "that other Sophia" and to me as "her Sophie" to make that separation clear because of how obnoxious that girl is.

Ugh. I'm sorry you had to put up with that crap.

Recursive Paradox

Gho the Girl

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:08 pm

Recursive Paradox
Gho the Girl
Recursive Paradox

Is this the girl that stole my name and follows you around like a stoned dog?
MY DEAR HOW DID YOU KNOW? surprised

I HATE HER. Seriously she is utterly obnoxious. Our mutual metal-smithing friend even refers to her as "that other Sophia" and to me as "her Sophie" to make that separation clear because of how obnoxious that girl is.

Ugh. I'm sorry you had to put up with that crap.
Indeed. No social grace, at all.

But it will all be alright. I'll just avoid her like the plague from now on. And when DB gets weak in the knees about telling her to buzz off, I'll do it.
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:18 pm

I am ******** tired of people telling me that I'm some sort of "political correctness nazi" or "evidence nazi" or even a "terminology nazi" just because I want people to use the correct ******** word for something.

Is it so damn hard? Using the correct word, the term that has been put aside to mean a given concept, instead of words that don't mean that concept or maybe were used ten years ago and aren't anymore. How is that hard?

Am I unreasonable in my attempts to foster good communication by correcting people who are using the terms incorrectly? ******** no, I'm not. I'm not a nazi anything for this. If people can't use terms right then they ought to keep their mouths shut.

Or accept criticism gracefully.

Recursive Paradox

Cyrus the Elder

6,650 Points
  • Brandisher 100
  • Tycoon 200
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 6:31 am

Honestly, some people. The ******** coupon said "coupon must be given...", it's policy, and yet someone would honestly ******** argue about it. Then ask me to swap something for something we -physically can't swap-. What do these ******** expect me to do, magic them up a loophole somewhere? stare

ENJOY YOUR BARELY-FILLED, OLD CHIPS YOU b*****d. scream
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:25 am

My girlfriend brought me into a store yesterday so she could look at a few things they had on sale. About 10 minutes later, she decides to try on a pair of pants. However, a girl that was trying on a few things when we walked in the store was still in the only dressing room. 20 ******** minutes later, the store is still doing nothing about it. The girl in the room is actually sending friends out to get new stuff for her to try on, and all the manager said was "it'll only be a few more minutes". 5 minutes later, we say ******** it, and complain. Manager's response? "I just told them to get out, it'll only be a few more minutes" scream

PhantomPhoenix0

Calixti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:27 am

Recursive Paradox
I am ******** tired of people telling me that I'm some sort of "political correctness nazi" or "evidence nazi" or even a "terminology nazi" just because I want people to use the correct ******** word for something.

The instant someone attaches the word "nazi" to something and calls me it, I stop taking them seriously and lose respect for them. This applies to the person who called me "stupid," a "feminazi," and said I "need to take an advertising class" when we were "discussing" (read: me getting bitched at for apparently not knowing how advertising works) when I was talking about how birth control ads show and reinforce the taboo in our society about female sexuality and desire and how healthy female bodies are constructed as somehow wrong if they bleed once a month without hormones. Also note that this discussion stemmed from me talking about my sociology project, which is specifically about how male bodies are constructed as a default and female bodies as "other" within medicine and how this harms female-bodied people. stare
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:38 am

Also note that this discussion stemmed from me talking about my sociology project, which is specifically about how male bodies are constructed as a default and female bodies as "other" within medicine and how this harms female-bodied people. stare

You mean people don't understand this?

maenad nuri
Captain

Calixti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:45 am

maenad nuri
Also note that this discussion stemmed from me talking about my sociology project, which is specifically about how male bodies are constructed as a default and female bodies as "other" within medicine and how this harms female-bodied people. stare

Considering the comments other people in my sociology class have made when I've been asked about my project--no, they don't.

On the plus side, people's reactions have finally convinced me to definitely minor in gender studies.
PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:04 am

maenad nuri

Considering the comments other people in my sociology class have made when I've been asked about my project--no, they don't.

On the plus side, people's reactions have finally convinced me to definitely minor in gender studies.

Oh wow, they actually call it Gender Studies at your place.

Ours still calls it Women's Studies, so the few guys I know who are taking it feel really awkward. gonk

Wrath of Ezekiel

5,350 Points
  • Beta Contributor 0
  • Beta Citizen 0
  • Beta Forum Regular 0

Calixti

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:50 am

SpaceTerminal Destiny
maenad nuri

Oh wow, they actually call it Gender Studies at your place.

Ours still calls it Women's Studies, so the few guys I know who are taking it feel really awkward. gonk
Technically, I think it's called "Women's/Gender Studies," but people generally call it one or the other and everyone knows what they're talking about.
Pagan Fluffy Rehabilitation Center

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 292 293 294 295 [>] [>>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games