Welcome to Gaia! ::

The Official Warhammer 40,000 and Tabletop Gaming Guild

Back to Guilds

The Official Gaian Home of Tabletop Gaming 

Tags: Games Workshop, Tabletop, Warhammer, Gaming, Wargaming 

Reply Painting and Modelling Discussion
Painting Advice/Show-off thread. Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Quick Reply

Enter both words below, separated by a space:

Can't read the text? Click here

Submit

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:17 am
The 1-2-3 to priming.

1. Shake like you wank

2. Keep nozzle of can at least 20-30 cm away from the model

3. When spraying, do so in short bursts and while moving the can from left to right, start before the model and stop a bit after the model, that way you wont hit the model with propellant and other residue.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 8:31 am
I always thought it was ridiculous for GW to charge as much as they do for paint brushes when I can pick up a four pack of great brushes for about the same price at my local Job Lot. However, I do still think it's well worth spending the eight dollars on a fine detail brush. These little babies have helped improved my painting skills a lot since I've started buying them.  

Lord Thuddleton

Inenor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:22 am
I thought the new brushes were cheaper than that now.  
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 9:27 am
Opinions tend to differ on GW brushes. The red handles of the bygone age are the best, I still use the same tank brush after ten years. The current batch of black handles are pretty good, not Golden Daemon quality but they will get you where you need to go if you take good care of them.  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200
PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2009 6:28 pm
I honestly hate the GW brushes, I buy mine from craft stores.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 2:46 pm
I've got some Winsor and Newton brushes that some scary bloke bought me once, great stuff to paint with, just so expensive! gonk  

Lady Blodwynn

Sexy Businesswoman

7,900 Points
  • Unleash the Beast 100
  • Guildmember 100
  • Brandisher 100

Lord Thuddleton

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:00 pm
The $8 brushes I was referencing came from an art store, they weren't GW brushes. Too many times I've bought a new GW brush and it's messed up out of the package.  
PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:22 pm
I always buy mine from the big open racks at craft stores like Ben Franklin, where you've got a wide selection that's open and you can actually feel the bristles, rather than being sold in a package as an afterthought to a model store.  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Scarlett4015

PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 4:04 pm
@ DarkElf27, Lt. Brookman, inenor:
thanks for the primer tips.But I still don't know what the parts on the left are. Any Tau players out there? I'll have picks a a couple weeks when I'm done paint most of my models.  
PostPosted: Mon Aug 10, 2009 7:40 pm
Daniel963
thanks for the primer tips.But I still don't know what the parts on the left are. Any Tau players out there? I'll have picks a a couple weeks when I'm done paint most of my models.
Tau grenades are round in shape if I recall correctly.

Also, I 100% assure you that no one is going to call you out on it if you put them on the models without them being equipped. I always put grenades on models like my Guardsmen, and rarely equip them on lists. N one expects you to add or remove tiny details like that. WYSIWYG applies mostly with things like character equipment ("He's got a sword! That's not a freakin' Daemon Hammer!") or special weapons ("Well if I'd known it was a Lascannon, I wouldn't have tried rushing it with a tank...").  

DarkElf27
Captain

Familiar Guildsman

11,250 Points
  • Guildmember 100
  • Perfect Attendance 400
  • Elocutionist 200

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:50 am
The cylinders hold photon or neutron grenades. You can stick those onto the model no problem at all.  
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 8:26 am
DarkElf27
Daniel963
Tau grenades are round in shape if I recall correctly.

Also, I 100% assure you that no one is going to call you out on it if you put them on the models without them being equipped. I always put grenades on models like my Guardsmen, and rarely equip them on lists. N one expects you to add or remove tiny details like that. WYSIWYG applies mostly with things like character equipment ("He's got a sword! That's not a freakin' Daemon Hammer!") or special weapons ("Well if I'd known it was a Lascannon, I wouldn't have tried rushing it with a tank...").

ok thanks for clearing that up for me. I can't wait till the squad is done. I got 3 finished, well close to finished.

@Lt. Brookman oh, ok thanks.  

Scarlett4015

Inenor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 7:27 pm
i don't remember if i've showed these are not but this is a paint scheme i have started for a tau group

User ImageUser Image
User Image
User ImageUser Image  
PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:35 pm
WOW. Please do tell how you got that black and white so crisp and clear. That's how I wanted to do my Tau half a decade ago before giving up. sweatdrop  

Hoxtalicious

Greedy Partner

Inenor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:02 am
Lt. Brookman
WOW. Please do tell how you got that black and white so crisp and clear. That's how I wanted to do my Tau half a decade ago before giving up. sweatdrop

the white is done by base coating astronomican gray, then 1 coat of skull white, after you have gone through the whole model there will be dry parts, take your undiluted skull white paint and smooth it over the areas where the gray show through, that will get you the solid color, the black was done with a .005 micro fiber black pen that i bought, messed up (in the same day cause i was pressing too hard) and need to buy another one. although i only used the pen on the commander not the gun drone, i used a fine detail brush for the drone's lines.  
Painting and Modelling Discussion

Goto Page: [] [<<] [<] 1 2 3 ... 48 49 50 51 52 53 ... 78 79 80 81 [>] [>>] [»|]

Manage Your Items
Other Stuff
Get GCash
Offers
Get Items
More Items
Where Everyone Hangs Out
Other Community Areas
Virtual Spaces
Fun Stuff
Gaia's Games
Mini-Games